Outside the Big 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Since it looks like Slovakia's made the jump to a full fledged hockey power, Latvia tying the US and Switzerland pulled the big upset today what is the direction of the second teir nations in hockey?

Will Switzerland finaly get skaters to stick in the NHL?

Can Germany make the jump?

What other countries will produce NHLers?

Where the hell am I?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hasbro said:
Since it looks like Slovakia's made the jump to a full fledged hockey power, Latvia tying the US and Switzerland pulled the big upset today what is the direction of the second teir nations in hockey?

Will Switzerland finaly get skaters to stick in the NHL?

Can Germany make the jump?

What other countries will produce NHLers?

Where the hell am I?

I thought they really could have used Hecht and Sturm in that Czech game. Maybe could have capitalized on the PP.
Don't forget Austria, Vanek will lead them to Van in 2010

shawn_kemp*

what I don't understand is why Norway isn't as good as Sweden and Finland?

shawn_kemp*

Jazz said:
Lack of ice-rinks around the country....severe lack of...

I know but historically why did hockey spread to Sweden and Finland but not Norway??? Look, there are 4 northern countries in Europe : Finland, Russia, Sweden and Norway. So why didn't the Norwegians build any rinks and start playing?

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
good question about NOrway.. i've always wondered that myself. They are located in a perfect location to be as into hockey as Finland and Sweden.. but what happened? why no NHLer, why no hockey?

Jazz

shawn_kemp said:
I know but historically why did hockey spread to Sweden and Finland but not Norway??? Look, there are 4 northern countries in Europe : Finland, Russia, Sweden and Norway. So why didn't the Norwegians build any rinks and start playing?
I've read somewhere that back in the 1960s, Finland and Norway were at at comparative levels in hockey. Finland went on an ice-rink building-spree, Norway did not.

Apparently there was someone high up in Norwegian sports who did want to built a bunch of rinks back then, but he lost some power struggle...I read this as secondary information so I don't even know how accurate it is....

Jazz

Leph28 said:
good question about NOrway.. i've always wondered that myself. They are located in a perfect location to be as into hockey as Finland and Sweden.. but what happened? why no NHLer, why no hockey?
Well, there have been a couple. Espen Knutsen, and Andreas Myrvold. Here is a prospect in the Columbus organization, Olle-Kristain Tol...(sp?) a defensemen.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Germany has alot of nhlers. I think they are pretty close. In 10 years Germany should be in the big 8

Schubert, Sturm, Goc, Erhoff, Hecht, Kolzig im sure im leaving a few guys out but thats a pretty good start. Alot more nhl talent then any other nation.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
How about Latvia?

I heard hockey is the #1 sport there? Is that true? Or are they all about the basketball like Lithuania?

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
shawn_kemp said:

Everyone is forgetting about the Danes (as usual) the other Scandinavian team whos hockey levels would be on a par (or better than) with Norway. Norway are not a bad hockey playing nation, and they have had NHLers in the past...namely Espen Knutsen, and there are quite a few players playing in the Elitserien. There are a few in NOrth America at the moment,

Marius Holtet, Iowa Stars drafted at #42 in 2002
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Columbus Blue Jackets (has played 5 games this season)
then there's some in the lower leagues, like Joakim Jensen in the QMJHL.

Norway does have rinks...how else could the 1994 winter olympics taken place??? They also have a national league, which the four top teams qualify further for the "Royal League". The Royal league includes the 4 top teams from Finland and Sweden, as well as (from 2007) the top 4 teams from Norway and Denmark all in a pre-season tournament against each other of the highest esteem. At the moment there are fewer teams from Norway and Denmark, but as they have shown they cna keep up they have been rewarded with more teams.

The Danes are the team to watch, they've got a great youth system and the league over here is improving dramatically. In 2010 I reckon Denmark will be present at the olympics

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
calgarylen13 said:
Norway does have rinks...how else could the 1994 winter olympics taken place??? They also have a national league, which the four top teams qualify further for the "Royal League". The Royal league includes the 4 top teams from Finland and Sweden, as well as (from 2007) the top 4 teams from Norway and Denmark all in a pre-season tournament against each other of the highest esteem. At the moment there are fewer teams from Norway and Denmark, but as they have shown they cna keep up they have been rewarded with more teams.

Uuh.. I think you're getting confused with their Football/Soccer royal league.

Because neither SM-Liiga nor Mestis teams participate in any such league..
That's leave us with Suomi sarja and lower teams.. ie non-professionals.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Uuh.. I think you're getting confused with their Football/Soccer royal league.

Because neither SM-Liiga nor Mestis teams participate in any such league..
That's leave us with Suomi sarja and lower teams.. ie non-professionals.

I gave it the soccer name as I can't think of what the hockey one is called...but it is a competition, i'll keep you posted when the name comes to me (perhaps its structured a bit differently even, I haven't seen it going off what my home stay parent tells me)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
They can win single games, but still a long way from taking the big leap. USA is in with a veteran team, and I am not surprised they failed in their first game against Latvia, but it was still the first game. Czech are known to be mood players, attitude players. They can mess up a game against a good team like Switzerland if they are not on their game. But how many times it would happen in 10 games between them? Maybe once.

The differencies are still huge. Germany and Switzerland are knocking on the door of top 7, but they wont get in before Slovakia opens the door and they wrestle for it. Why Slovakia? Well...they have great players right now, but no stars in the making. And goalies..they still have a lack of goalie depth and that is a big thing. I dont think even slovakia will drop out for germany and swiss, but with their junior production they seem to be the next candidate. Sweden still has a good core of players under 30, even though their next generation has not looked so hot. They also lack real goalie depth.

USA could have a momentary lapse in the next games, especially if there is a world cup in 2 years or so, but they have amazing talent coming up. So they are quite secure.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
calgarylen13 said:
Everyone is forgetting about the Danes (as usual) the other Scandinavian team whos hockey levels would be on a par (or better than) with Norway. Norway are not a bad hockey playing nation, and they have had NHLers in the past...namely Espen Knutsen, and there are quite a few players playing in the Elitserien. There are a few in NOrth America at the moment,

Marius Holtet, Iowa Stars drafted at #42 in 2002
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Columbus Blue Jackets (has played 5 games this season)
then there's some in the lower leagues, like Joakim Jensen in the QMJHL.

The Danes are the team to watch, they've got a great youth system and the league over here is improving dramatically. In 2010 I reckon Denmark will be present at the olympics

If you mean the tournament which sweden and finland both have 4 teams next preseason then its not top Finnish teams... For example TPS is going and they are 11th atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad