Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Again, if you had to live in Southern Ontario as a Habs fan and listen to them denigrate your team as "a bunch of frogs" you might re-think your position.

I've lived in Southern Ontario my entire life. Heard that maybe once at a random bar. Stop hanging out with assholes.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The anti-French ugliness is always simmering just under the surface whenever Leafs fans get upset over losing to the Habs. Boston fans do it too, of course, but they're American and ignorant and generally hate all minorities equally. But Canadians are supposed to know better than to stoke the flames of that particular fire. Yet even to this day I still see it rearing its ugly head from time to time.

I can recall watching the Grey Cup a couple of years ago in a house full of people (all from the West coast) and when referee Andre Proulx, the only francophone referee in the CFL (and he speaks with a heavy accent) announced a penalty call the woman sitting next to me unleashed a vitriolic outburst of f-bombs about "frogs", not knowing that I am part French-Canadian myself. Good thing it was me and not my father sitting there or it would have got ugly.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, sorry.. the persecution of French Canadians really doesn't match up very good against slavery, systemic and inherent racism, etc.

Reactions: muzion

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
There's a world of difference between being called a frog and a Racial Slur. One is funny and ridiculous, I could never figure out what frogs and I have in common. The other however has sombre historical meaning and is completely inappropriate.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah, sorry.. the persecution of French Canadians really doesn't match up very good against slavery, systemic and inherent racism, etc.

Well that’s more of an American issue than a Bruins fan issue.

Plus that’s the franchise that helped break the NHL colour barrier, and they celebrate Willie all the time.

At least sports fans in Boston are knowledgeable. I lived in the Toronto area and there’s nothing worse than an arrogant fan that knows nothing. That city is full of them.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm a Westerner. I actually have no functional grasp of Southern Ontario geography. Like, I've heard the names Kingston, Oshawa, Brampton. If you asked me to say roughly where these places are in relation to one another, I can't help you.

Southern Ontario is beyond the wall, where the decadent southfolk live.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Had it written on my truck in Toronto. Canadiens bumper sticker.

Sorry for your experience then. Not sure that makes that rivalry greater. I have a cousin in Boston who got bullied by his gym teacher because he wore a Canadiens hat.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My Uncle used to call the Habs the "Frogs" and he is a Leafs fan. But he's also an old-school conservative and I bet the things he said about Subban when I wasn't around, were far worse.

I was really young when he did it and never understood the connotations behind it. I thought I was clever (at like 7 years old lol) and would always call the Leafs "Mosquitoes" because Frogs ate them.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
There's a world of difference between being called a frog and a ******. One is funny and ridiculous, I could never figure out what frogs and I have in common. The other however has sombre historical meaning and is completely inappropriate.
The intent behind the insults is the same. They are meant to demean the targeted person or persons. One is no better or worse than the other. Hate is hate. You may find it funny to be called a frog but plenty of others would beat the crap out of you. I wouldn't be tossing it around in certain areas of Montreal, that's for sure.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He`s clearly not worth 6M per year but the guy can still play! Gimme a break.

Bergeron and Marchand looked like fools last night.
And you are telling me that is all because of Plekanec? What about the other 19 games where he struggled a lot on the 4th line?

Reactions: Laurentide

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pleks playing well last night gave me nightmares about Bergevin signing him on July 1st and making him our #2 center. Again.
1 year at 2.5 only to flip him at the deadline. That's the only reason to bring him back, and even then, I'd still look at other options.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And you are telling me that is all because of Plekanec? What about the other 19 games where he struggled a lot on the 4th line?

That line got 20 points in the first 2 games and then Bergeron gets matched against Plekasex and his line gets 0 points and is -7 combined...

Nahh it has nothing to do with Plekanec.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That line got 20 points in the first 2 games and then Bergeron gets matched against Plekasex and his line gets 0 points and is -7 combined...

Nahh it has nothing to do with Plekanec.
Good job dodging my question but you still haven't answered it. What about the other 19 games that he struggled a lot on the 4th line?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The intent behind the insults is the same. They are meant to demean the targeted person or persons. One is no better or worse than the other. Hate is hate. You may find it funny to be called a frog but plenty of others would beat the crap out of you. I wouldn't be tossing it around in certain areas of Montreal, that's for sure.
Yeah I know, there's meanness everywhere. I'm Québecois pure laine, but since I grew up in NDG which was very English, we had a name for "lower class" french: Pepsi. Try figuring that one out. :laugh: Pepsi and a Mae West to go.

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->