Out of Town - Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Champions! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
there now officially a franchise...everyone boos Bettmen...somes cities much longer than others..lol
Whenever I see Gary Bettman i think of this man.
latest

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks to both of you for this insightful post. I was wondering myself what made this version of the Caps so much better than previous iterations. Not going to lie, I was one of the ones that thought Washington's window was "closing" and now all of a sudden it looks wide open. What a difference acquiring a couple of depth players makes. If they can re-sign Carlson and Kempny and finally with the emergence of Kuznetsov and Eller there is no reason why they can't go for it for a couple more years. Washington's GM Brian MacLellan deserves a lot of credit for that. How hilarious is that George McPhee who was once thought of as the worst GM on the planet, is the one responsible for building the two teams in the Stanley Cup finals.

The key to a great bottom six is a great top six.
I still think they’ll have some cap issues, but winning the Cup might help them keep some players for a little less money in an attempt for them to win again and keep the core intact.

But their depth acquisitions like DSP and Kempny really shined and helped. If they can keep finding those gems they’ll be fine. Backstrom and Ovi are still playing at elite levels.

From a complete 200ft game perspective, you can argue this was the best, most complete season Ovi ever played. From game 1 when he scored 4 goals in the opener he looked completely different and had a new fire in his eyes.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Like scrubadam said: ovi's legacy can never again be tarnished with that bullshit argument: he never won a cup.

It's the worst f***ing argument in arguably the most team-centric sport in the world.

love ovi. I haven't felt that good watching another team win the cup since.... well, the last time the habs cup won the cup. It's a weird feeling to be sure...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Like scrubadam said: ovi's legacy can never again be tarnished with that bull**** argument: he never won a cup.

It's the worst ****ing argument in arguably the most team-centric sport in the world.

love ovi. I haven't felt that good watching another team win the cup since.... well, the last time the habs cup won the cup. It's a weird feeling to be sure...

We have two players on our team who fall into the same category that Ovechkin was in before last night, more so Price because he’s been playing for one team his entire career like OV. It’s an unfortunate label to have on your head.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Personally I just love the fact that the two guys who were unfairly painted as scapegoats have both gone onto cup finals in the past two years. It just underscores that we can't evaluate talent worth a damn. It also backs up what some of us have been saying for a long time now, our core was a lot better than the idiots in charge thought they were. If we'd used them properly then we would have gone somewhere.

And we SHOULD learn from this and put Chuck at centre now. Should've happened four years ago.

But we wont. We will continue to do things the wrong way because we aren't capable of learning anything. And if the last two cup finals don't underscore how stupid we've been, I don't think Molson will ever see it.

Sucks that the only victory we have here is in being right about how badly we've mishandled things. But at least it's something that can be thrown in the face of RDS the next time this crap happens.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Personally I just love the fact that the two guys who were unfairly painted as scapegoats have both gone onto cup finals in the past two years. It just underscores that we can't evaluate talent worth a damn. It also backs up what some of us have been saying for a long time now, our core was a lot better than the idiots in charge thought they were. If we'd used them properly then we would have gone somewhere.

And we SHOULD learn from this and put Chuck at centre now. Should've happened four years ago.

But we wont. We will continue to do things the wrong way because we aren't capable of learning anything. And if the last two cup finals don't underscore how stupid we've been, I don't think Molson will ever see it.

Sucks that the only victory we have here is in being right about how badly we've mishandled things. But at least it's something that can be thrown in the face of RDS the next time this crap happens.

Galchenyuk should have been at center 4 years ago.
Eller should have been given a shot at a bigger role at center when he was 22-23 years old.

Therrien was such a terrible coach.

Well instead, 31 years old KHLer David Desharnais was given all the slack in the world by the organisation and all the French Medias as the best choice as top line center.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not at all. You guys act like I said Eller isn't an asset.

I just meant habs were missing a lot of pieces this year, Eller can't solve that.

Fair enough. The sad part is Eller was part the solution when he was here. Our management went in a completely wrong and opposite direction and many fans called out the farce for what it was.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Not only did they make it to the Cup finals, but they were instrumental for their respective teams making it there.

I don't think that Molson doesn't see it. He most certainly does. He just has too much money invested in Bergevin and the coaches, staff, etc.. that he thinks he can make up the lost playoff revenue with the money saved on Capspace and make it up to the fans with fan experience and hotdogs. If the GM really is just GM in name only then who's calling the shots? Molson? He's not a hockey guy, he's just a marketing guy. The Habs are the very definition of a listless rudderless ship with no direction.

Bergevin traded away all of the teams best playoff performers and the house of cards came crashing down to the surprise of no one. Even this cat plays Jenga better than Bergevin does. Or maybe Bergevin IS the cat since the cat is clearly a sore loser.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Like scrubadam said: ovi's legacy can never again be tarnished with that bull**** argument: he never won a cup.

It's the worst ****ing argument in arguably the most team-centric sport in the world.

Glad for Ovie to get that monkey off his back. But you know people would make that argument when the time came. Ovie is in the conversation for the best scorer to EVER play the game. But all that would be wiped away with "he never won a cup or beat Crosby" talk.

So I am glad that can't be brought up anymore for the guy.

If only Habs would of been so lucky to have that pick.

Crosby/Malkin/Ovie in back 2 back drafts I don't know if we will ever see something like that again.

But just to let you know I was rooting a little bit for MAF to take his 2nd cup as a starter and punch his ticket to the HOF.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can't believe some people trying to put a negative spin on Lars Eller's accomplishments. BTW Max fans that is what a SCF cup clinching goal looks like. Not one if those Habs go up 4-0 on a Paccioretty goal and doze to a 4-3 victory giving the ghost another glorious game winner.

Reactions: DAChampion

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I can't believe some people trying to put a negative spin on Lars Eller's accomplishments. BTW Max fans that is what a SCF cup clinching goal looks like. Not one if those Habs go up 4-0 on a Paccioretty goal and doze to a 4-3 victory giving the ghost another glorious game winner.

Let’s start with playoff goals for max, baby steps.

Reactions: Rapala

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Marc Bergevin spent 7 years looking for the perfect 3rd liners. Grit and clutch. He didn’t know he inherited the perfect 3rd liners from previous regime and traded them away for nothing.

Eller 7 goals 18 points this playoffs.
DSP 7 goals this playoffs.
Both traded for nothing.
Oh Eller is a big Center.

Both are still young players.
Yeah go for Dwight King Steve Ott Andrea Martensen Douglas Murray Bryan Allen

That’s our GM boys. Clueless and outdated
He was a terrible player and now a terrible GM. I put him in the same class as Garth Snow and Mike Milbury. Bergevin should be NYI next GM to complete the three stupid amigos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad