Out of town thread: Where the grass is ALWAYS greener!

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oilers have $13 mil in cap space with a flat cap next year with Nurse being the only must sign piece. Even if they give raises to Maroon, Strome and Benning, they'll be fine. They're also well positioned to pay Talbot and Puljujarvi the next year. Montreal has less cap space than them going into next offseason and have just as many important contract decisions in the next few years. Oilers aren't in cap trouble.

They have $60m committed with only 8 forwards, 5 defencemen and 1 goalie signed. They already have major issues with scoring depth. That to me is cap trouble.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They have $60m committed with only 8 forwards, 5 defencemen and 1 goalie signed. They already have major issues with scoring depth. That to me is cap trouble.

You see why that argument makes no sense though, right?

They don't have enough scoring on bottom liners, so instead of doing what most teams do (like Montreal) and play their young winger prospects like Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, etc. or bring in cheaper depth pieces for a back-up goalie, a 7th defenceman and middle-6 wingers, they're going to trade their Number 2 center. And not only are they going to do that, they're going to trade him and not want salary back because then they can use that space to take advantage of other teams that are in cap trouble.

Seriously, explain where the cap constraints come in that would necessitate moving RNH to cap rich team:

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You see why that argument makes no sense though, right?

They don't have enough scoring on bottom liners, so instead of doing what most teams do (like Montreal) and play their young winger prospects like Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, etc. or bring in cheaper depth pieces for a back-up goalie, a 7th defenceman and middle-6 wingers, they're going to trade their Number 2 center. And not only are they going to do that, they're going to trade him and not want salary back because then they can use that space to take advantage of other teams that are in cap trouble.

Seriously, explain where the cap constraints come in that would necessitate moving RNH to cap rich team:

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What are you going on about? I counted those contracts in determining their cap space.

And I never said they will trade him not wanting salary back. Way to put words in my mouth. They have such a problem scoring that they are using the guy they signed long term to be their 2C at wing with their franchise player.

Their only Top 6 WINGER signed next year is Lucic and that’s laughable. RNH should be traded for a Top 6 winger and some other depth. I didn’t say trade him for peanuts.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
What are you going on about? I counted those contracts in determining their cap space.

And I never said they will trade him not wanting salary back. Way to put words in my mouth. They have such a problem scoring that they are using the guy they signed long term to be their 2C at wing with their franchise player.

Their only Top 6 WINGER signed next year is Lucic and that’s laughable. RNH should be traded for a Top 6 winger and some other depth. I didn’t say trade him for peanuts.

If the Oilers are fine with taking salary back in a trade for RNH, why does Montreal's cap space give them leverage in such a situation?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If the Oilers are fine with taking salary back in a trade for RNH, why does Montreal's cap space give them leverage in such a situation?

Because it doesn’t necessarily mean the entirety of the $6m needs to come back. Or maybe they want to clear room to sign a legitimate top winger like Kane or JVR and get depth like Danault and Hudon for RNH. There are a bunch of possibilities.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Radulov kinda took Subban's place?

Subban almost singlehandedly won us playoff series, he won a Norris, was an all star, represented the Canadians internationally.

Define "kinda"

So you didn't get my premise when I said that not only we were not good enough but we were not that exciting and then came in Subban and then Radulov? Which obviously meant that the only reason why I'm comparing both is for the excitement and fan favorite part of the game. Obviously not based on performance but somehow, you think that I lost all my intelligence and I probably miss Craig Darby too....

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Because it doesn’t necessarily mean the entirety of the $6m needs to come back. Or maybe they want to clear room to sign a legitimate top winger like Kane or JVR and get depth like Danault and Hudon for RNH. There are a bunch of possibilities.

But that doesn't really give Montreal leverage compared to over half the league that has over $3mil in cap space, does it?Teams that have better depth than Montreal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But that doesn't really give Montreal leverage compared to over half the league that has over $3mil in cap space, does it?Teams that have better depth than Montreal.

It was an example. We didn’t know Derek Stepan was available at the draft, there could be others. Spezza comes to mind.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
A realistic shot? They will have cap space and desire, that’s a realistic shot. But judging by the theme of your posts, you will just deny everything.

Might wanna take a look at what happened to your ''BUT WE COULD GET RNH'' argument lol.

My argument has been fairly straightforward: before the off-season I said we should tear things down and rebuild, at the very least trade Price to cash in his excess value. That didn't happen. In the wake of the Drouin trade, it became clear that Bergevin was ''going for it.'' So I came up with some alternative suggestions for how Bergevin could ''go for it.'' What happened, though, was Bergevin just signed Alzner, let Markov and Radu walk, and then signed a bunch of trash. Oh, he ''tried'' to get Radu. He also failed. So what we're left with is an aborted off-season and people arguing that it was smart for Bergevin to let Radu walk after trading our top prospect because maybe in a year from now we'll land Tavares.

He tried to do all these things. He also failed. That doesn't make him a good GM because sometime in the future there might be a big fish UFA. That's not a coherent plan.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Might wanna take a look at what happened to your ''BUT WE COULD GET RNH'' argument lol.

My argument has been fairly straightforward: before the off-season I said we should tear things down and rebuild, at the very least trade Price to cash in his excess value. That didn't happen. In the wake of the Drouin trade, it became clear that Bergevin was ''going for it.'' So I came up with some alternative suggestions for how Bergevin could ''go for it.'' What happened, though, was Bergevin just signed Alzner, let Markov and Radu walk, and then signed a bunch of trash. Oh, he ''tried'' to get Radu. He also failed. So what we're left with is an aborted off-season and people arguing that it was smart for Bergevin to let Radu walk after trading our top prospect because maybe in a year from now we'll land Tavares.

He tried to do all these things. He also failed. That doesn't make him a good GM because sometime in the future there might be a big fish UFA. That's not a coherent plan.

I’m not denying that. I don’t like him either. But cap space is a commodity. It just needs to be dealt with intelligently. Whether he does it or not remains to be seen. But in the end they still have a shot at JT if he becomes UFA since they will have the ability to give him $10m+ a year.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
So cheap or you to wait until he's hot to start talking ****...

You were nowhere to be found when all Radulov could do was score on empty nets.

And you'll be nowhere to be found when be inevitably cools off.

Did I come here then and brag and boast about his lukewarm start?

Nah, I'm not that cheap and I fully expected him to put up points eventually.

But I also fully expect that when the season is done, the Stars won't be any better for having added him.

Because THAT'S what complimentary players do...

We should know, we have a complimentary player who scored 35 goals a year and we're not any better for it.

But it's cool...blow your load early, I'll play the long game, just like I did with Plekanec lol

What a ridiculous post. I guess the Radulov that was PPG last year while we went 13-1-1 and gave his heart and soul in the playoffs is the fake Radulov and the Radulov that started off slow for a couple of games is the real one? Just like you were dogging Galchenyuk when he was trying to get his legs under him at the beginning of the season even though the rest of the team was dogging it too... because you know lazy Russians and all of that.

It's pretty well agreed that Dallas was the most improved team over the summer. So any team that doesn't win a stanley cup shouldn't attempt to make their team better? I guess Bergevin shouldn't have gone out and get Drouin then since that was a waste of time right? You know what would have made the Habs better? Adding Drouin and Radulov!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So you didn't get my premise when I said that not only we were not good enough but we were not that exciting and then came in Subban and then Radulov? Which obviously meant that the only reason why I'm comparing both is for the excitement and fan favorite part of the game. Obviously not based on performance but somehow, you think that I lost all my intelligence and I probably miss Craig Darby too....

Actually, I don't think you've lost all your intelligence.

Hence why I ASKED YOU to define "kinda".

I asked for further clarification, rather than jump to the conclusion you were initially leading me to, or if you prefer, I was leading myself towards.

Not everything is personal for me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What a ridiculous post. I guess the Radulov that was PPG last year while we went 13-1-1 and gave his heart and soul in the playoffs is the fake Radulov and the Radulov that started off slow for a couple of games is the real one?

Max Pacioretty is PPG in our last 11 games...
Philip Danault is just off the PPG mark in the last 11 games...

Who freaking cares?

Just like you were dogging Galchenyuk when he was trying to get his legs under him at the beginning of the season even though the rest of the team was dogging it too... because you know lazy Russians and all of that.

First of all...Galchenyuk is American, not Russian.

Secondly, I dogged Galchenyuk when he was playing like crap and I praised him when he started picking up his game.

I'll leave the groupie fandom to you, I call it like I see it. If your momma was on the Habs and she was playing like ****, I'd call her out too.

I've got no favorites on the team...

I don't like the way Drouin is playing recently, I've crapped on him. He's the highest paid forward, time to step the **** up.

It's pretty well agreed that Dallas was the most improved team over the summer.

You let me know when your offseason "most improved" team starts to actually play like it.

So any team that doesn't win a stanley cup shouldn't attempt to make their team better? I guess Bergevin shouldn't have gone out and get Drouin then since that was a waste of time right? You know what would have made the Habs better? Adding Drouin and Radulov!
Have no idea what you're talking about here...but I'm sure you can build yourself a nicely crafted basket with this strawman.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I’m not denying that. I don’t like him either. But cap space is a commodity. It just needs to be dealt with intelligently. Whether he does it or not remains to be seen. But in the end they still have a shot at JT if he becomes UFA since they will have the ability to give him $10m+ a year.

Cap space is a commodity, but only if you have to have something to use it on. Right now all we're arguing about is a single long-shot a year after the fact. Every other outcome makes not signing Radulov a failure (leaving all the other arguments for why the rest of his moves just don't make any sense). This is not a compelling argument against signing Radulov.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We are 30th in goals for, to say that Radulov wouldn't help us in that department is absurd.
Well lets see...

He's playing on a team that features Tyler Seguin and Jaime Benn...and the Stars have scored exactly 4 more goals than the Habs.

Do you think if he was playing on the Habs, who don't have a Tyler Seguin or Jaime Benn, that the Habs would have what? 20 more goals? 10 more? 5 more?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well lets see...

He's playing on a team that features Tyler Seguin and Jaime Benn...and the Stars have scored exactly 4 more goals than the Habs.

Do you think if he was playing on the Habs, who don't have a Tyler Seguin or Jaime Benn, that the Habs would have what? 20 more goals? 10 more? 5 more?
Yes I still think he can be very productive playing with Galchenyuk and Drouin. Yes I do think he would be a much better fit on that line than Lekhonen while being the much better player.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We are 30th in goals for, to say that Radulov wouldn't help us in that department is absurd.

Of course Radulov would have helped, he would have been as elite as he's showing with Dallas right now. The guy is a warrior and would have solidified the Habs' first line.

A team starved for offence managed to fail to sign the best offensive player on the market this past summer and with whom they should have had an edge in concluding a deal. It's done but it can't be under-emphasized, the Habs have found no one to replace Radulov's contributions.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'll leave the groupie fandom to you, I call it like I see it. If your momma was on the Habs and she was playing like ****, I'd call her out too.

So you're going after moms now? Talk like that in the real world would get you a down right whooping! Hope the mods take notice of this cancerous poster.:madfire:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes I still think he can be very productive playing with Galchenyuk and Drouin. Yes I do think he would be a much better fit on that line than Lekhonen while being the much better player.
Sure, I never disagreed he'd be a better fit than Lehkonen on that line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So you're going after moms now? Talk like that in the real world would get you a down right whooping! Hope the mods take notice of this cancerous poster.:madfire:
Replace that with my momma if you want...my point remains the same. I didn't insult anyone lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Of course Radulov would have helped, he would have been as elite as he's showing with Dallas right now. The guy is a warrior and would have solidified the Habs' first line.

A team starved for offence managed to fail to sign the best offensive player on the market this past summer and with whom they should have had an edge in concluding a deal. It's done but it can't be under-emphasized, the Habs have found no one to replace Radulov's contributions.
I love how Bergevin admits that his only plan was to resign Radulov, but people are happy because of the extra cap space that could POTENTIALLY go to Tavares.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sure, I never disagreed he'd be a better fit than Lehkonen on that line.
He would be on the 1st line playing with players he plays well with, and Lekhonen would drop to a line that he could work better with(hasn't worked at all on the 1st line). This alone would improve the offense.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I love how Bergevin admits that his only plan was to resign Radulov, but people are happy because of the extra cap space that could POTENTIALLY go to Tavares.
It could potentially go to a number of other options as well...

Tavares is a pipe dream, but there are legitimate and available targets that could help us right now, more than I think Radulov would.

I think a Michael Backlund would help this team a hell of a lot more than Radulov would.

Just an example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad