League News: Out of Town Scoreboard (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Yes, I was there, sat and met with Ted and GMGM. I recall how angry everyone was coming out of that meeting. where basically GMGM dismissed all of our thoughts on how to manage the roster (which in hindsight was absurd for us to think anything else would happen) but more so because Ted simply used the meeting to try to get us to tone down our criticism. Ted sent me an email afterwards saying how he had to focus on the majority, rather than the vocal minority (i.e. us message board critics). And frankly I understand that approach completely. But the fact is, we got a meeting, but that meeting was for his purposes, not ours, and in the end that meeting accomplished nothing apart from having a good story to tell.

After all is said and done, that opportunity to meet with Ted and GMGM was really unique and it was a great experience, but we weren't there to be heard. We were there to be talked to.

TBM's "last stand"

"Steve Ott will NEVER play in the NHL!"

:biglaugh:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah thats still pretty frikin cool! Have to give Ted and GMGM lots of props for that whatever their purpose. You all at least had a chance to interact with them.

WHAT sports team does that? Way awesome.

Ted has always been much more accessible than most any other owner, he does get props for that, even if he did shut down his WashingtonCaps email a while ago. And when he first took over, he took what seemed like 1000 suggestions from fans and acted on most of them. So there's no question he values the fans and their feedback, as any good business owner should.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
LOL, yep, I think he moved to Calexico or some god forsaken hell hole and never watched another NHL game again :amazed:

Also, about more grit like Kono: "Then we'd have a team full of 3rd liners".
DOH!!!

i thought it was colorado?

he came in town the summer ronnie was fired, when i first met him FTF, and we kept in touch for a few years. it was weird, his mother and my mother were connected in some way - tennis maybe, and i think we were both at ODU at the same time, but obviously didnt know each other.

he was on the caps board for a while under the name chokingdogsgirl, LOL.

then, in typical TBM fashion, he got banned, never to be seen from after that.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Yes, TBM (To Be Mello) moved to Colorado, came back for the famous meeting, and then disappeared from the realm of Capsdom.

Same thing happened with Mr. Edmunds... a.k.a 'Gary". We last saw Gary at a party at his apartment thrown in his honor. Strange way to exit Capsdom, IMHO.

Dave, Terry, Meredith, Christy, Tommpa, myself, and Adam are all still alive and about. And I still hear from them now and again. Too bad, as we were all quite a group, and a ton of fun.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
In case my post isn't clear, Choking Dogs was also an original member of the Discovery Crew.

We were the original Caps fan club group, and regularly got together for dinners, events, Wash Cap's special events, etc ...each and every year. We all had a great time.

One event stands out in my mind: the special introduction of Cassidy to the Caps STH fan base, and the little boy who got up and introduced himself as Cassidy's long-lost, illigitimate son of Cassidy's.

I'll never forget CD's look on his face. It was hilarious. The look on Cassidy's face was even better!

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I don't agree with the Leonsis critics that suggest he's content with making the playoffs. I think Ted WANTS to win in his heart and he wants it badly. Unfortunately Ted appears unable or unwilling to make the tough decisions with regards to accomplishing the goal of winning the Cup.

To say that the fans aren't going to vote with their wallets against a playoff team is inaccurate. The last time Leonsis blew up the team is was partially because the fans didn't show up against Tampa in the playoffs. It CAN happen if fans get fed up with enough. This time around he's lucky he's got Ovechkin to pull in the casual fan. HOWEVER, even the casual fan will lose interest if Ovy's not scoring 50+ and being dominant in the regular season. The building wasn't full every night this year when Ovy was struggling.

I think the building not being full had a lot more to do with the standings than with Ovi, but of course it could be either. I think the Richard and making the playoffs buys them one more year of solid ticket sales, if not actual attendance (could be totally off, obviously, as I don't have access to renewal numbers or anything), and my theory is that the new division setup will strengthen the secondary market enough for STH's to hold on a bit longer even. So that maybe buys them another year on top of it all, assuming they're not just totally terrible next season.

I'm not saying this team is set for life, obviously. I just wouldn't expect any huge impactful fan reactions within the next year or so.

Liberati0n*

Some stupid Rongos fans at this bar were chanting "we want the Cup" after the OT goal. Do they really not realize the inevitable has only been prolonged for one game?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Gotta pinch myself and see if it's real.

I thought the DRW might not make the playoffs, let alone play like they're playing.

Bye bye Chicago... who'd a thunk it?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

I thought the DRW might not make the playoffs, let alone play like they're playing.

I would make a snide comment about blowing 3-1 series leads, but they're not the Caps.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Some stupid Rongos fans at this bar were chanting "we want the Cup" after the OT goal. Do they really not realize the inevitable has only been prolonged for one game?

To be fair, a 3-0 series lead from the B's is one of the least safe leads in hockey... :sarcasm:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Series isn't over yet, but no surprise. Great coaching, veteran core, and Jimmy Howard playing great.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Series isn't over yet, but no surprise. Great coaching, veteran core, and Jimmy Howard playing great.

Trust me, it's over.

Detroit will finish them off Saturday.

This team is a buzzsaw, waiting to strike.

And as a Cap's fan, it's an eye-opener. The Red Wings have shown us that by selecting a proper coach and choosing the right type of players, a rebuild can be done in a single year.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Forgot to add this: note that while the vet core is indeed leading the team, the 3rd and fourth lines, which are/were earlier this season Grand Rapid's Griffins, are also leading the attack. And when this happens, even an elite team like Chicago has no answer.

Vladiator16*

Trust me, it's over.

Detroit will finish them off Saturday.

This team is a buzzsaw, waiting to strike.

And as a Cap's fan, it's an eye-opener. The Red Wings have shown us that by selecting a proper coach and choosing the right type of players, a rebuild can be done in a single year.

Counting chickens i see...

@notsosureitsover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad