League News: Out of Town Scoreboard (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Outside of Ovechkin and perhaps the PP they're not really entertaining, though. It's marginally better than HunterHockey but it's still fundamentally a pretty crappy brand of hockey. Ever since Boudreau 2.0 they've seemingly overlooked the fundamentals of a stronger even-strength possession game to their peril. It's helped them get by in the regular season but it eventually catches up to them. They've allowed the forwards to become fairly lazy and develop a lot of bad habits. I don't think that'll be easy for this coaching staff to turn around in short order so I'm skeptical they'll really be entertaining again soon.

Fans are losing their patience and with pretty good reason. If it's not one thing it's another.

OR-

Our forwards are not as skilled as some think... hence the reason we went back to pinching up so much.

But the problem comes in when the playoffs arrive: you cannot play that style in the playoffs and expect success.

When it comes to picking talent, we are unable to find anything after the middle rounds.

And we are unable to judge role players available via trades, fa, or waiver at any better rate than we do during drafts.

Simply put: unless it smacks us in the face, like the AO pick and a couple others, we are unable to judge talent, leaving gaping holes in our offenceive core.

As to D, we're stuck in some odd 1980's run & gun, offenceive defenseman mode, unable to break free. Our binoculars can NOT hone in on any other type Dman.

We've ruined 2 young goalies, as we didn't allow them time to develop, with no veteran help in sight.

On any and all levels, we cannot judge talent. So pinching up (which is essentially a cheating effort) is all we can rely on... unless we can go back to grinding hockey... what you refer to as Hunter Hockey.

But you don't like that either. Me, give me that ahead of this crap we've had to endure for most of the last 15 years.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not just about talent it's about having standards and they've never seemed to have them under McPhee. They do apparently have feedback and analysis of their draft practices after the fact--and it is marginally improving--but it's hard to see other such mechanisms in place in any other facet of their decision-making.

Most every team pinches their D to maintain the zone. It should not be as central a strategy to create offense as it seems to be for the Caps but that goes back to forwards that don't really attack with much vigor. There are thinner teams that manage to do so. A lack of talent alone doesn't cut it for me. Poor habits should never be acceptable.

It would be truly frustrating if the franchise did everything in their power to be successful but that's never really seemed to be the case. The same could be said about The Franchise but they do go hand-in-hand. (And Leonsis for that matter...)

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Exactly this. Bruins fans would take pitchforks to the team headquarters if they were to lose to this pathetic Rangers teams. Caps fans on the other hand, are "content" that we should have won. Amazing!

I wouldn't say everyone is "content".

There are some like me who just realize there is absolutely nothing we can do about it short of a grass roots organized boycott and frankly I don't have time for that as it would interfere with my beer drinking.

I've vented. I've screamed at the top of my lungs. I really gave Ted and GMGM a lashing on the internet.

You know what that accomplished? Yeah..I think you can guess.

So basically there are many who just have come to grips with this and don't feel like letting it get them down. So we focus on the positives and look to derive maximum enjoyment as opposed to getting upset over something we can't control.

But back on topic...

Maybe Ovechkin was right? I'm sure there are NHL and mainly Bruins fans who are starting to see. The refs once again favored NY. I don't think it was as bad for the Bs last night as it was for us in games 3 and 6 but still very bad.

I also saw Callahan once again attempt the head snap. This one was hilarious as the guy just laid his hand on his chest.

Anyhow ..I enjoyed watching the Rangers fold. Hopefully Ottawa can give me a bit of amusement tonight by taking down the Pens.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
My overall point is, say what you want where you want. Vent, dream, do whatever. Just don't hold on to the illusion that what is said here matters at all, and all you have to do is convince your HF brethren and all will be right with the team. People are going to buy tickets and watch on TV and consume web media because they want to. Bigger, better markets will do it 24/7/365 win or lose, because they want hockey that much. In DC, I think the playoffs and even the dream of Ovi being old Ovi is enough to keep it somewhat strong for another year or so. Ticket sales with a big STH base lag too much, and I think the realignment will strengthen the secondary market a bit even if the team falters next season, which will probably keep the STH base from crashing (especially if there's hope of a near future outdoor game attached).

(Basically what BR said. Abandon hope all ye who enter here.)

EDIT: Also I will say that I think a stable, non-fickle fanbase is probably a stronger incentive to win than a fickle one, because the more you can charge for your tickets due to huge demand, the more a deep run is really worth to you. An unstable fanbase leads too much to marketing and gimmicks, I'd imagine. Granted, not like anyone has any control over either, cities are what they are.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
My overall point is, say what you want where you want. Vent, dream, do whatever. Just don't hold on to the illusion that what is said here matters at all, and all you have to do is convince your HF brethren and all will be right with the team. People are going to buy tickets and watch on TV and consume web media because they want to. Bigger, better markets will do it 24/7/365 win or lose, because they want hockey that much. In DC, I think the playoffs and even the dream of Ovi being old Ovi is enough to keep it somewhat strong for another year or so. Ticket sales with a big STH base lag too much, and I think the realignment will strengthen the secondary market a bit even if the team falters next season, which will probably keep the STH base from crashing (especially if there's hope of a near future outdoor game attached).

(Basically what BR said. Abandon hope all ye who enter here.)

EDIT: Also I will say that I think a stable, non-fickle fanbase is probably a stronger incentive to win than a fickle one, because the more you can charge for your tickets due to huge demand, the more a deep run is really worth to you. An unstable fanbase leads too much to marketing and gimmicks, I'd imagine. Granted, not like anyone has any control over either, cities are what they are.

Right. I mean how many HFposters that are true Caps fans on here? Maybe a few dozen? Perhaps a bit more who lurk?

Out of those numbers there are only a handful that are season ticket holders. I'm not one of them as I don't wipe my ass with money like Foy, BTCG and NBTW.:sarcasm:

Yeah I still watch all the games and follow the team so there is some form of indirect contribution I make to Ted's coffers but its negligible.

I just got fed up about being fed up with the Caps if that makes sense.

I also agree that it is alot harder to win if we had an impatient fanbase. Teams like Toronto, Rangers and Flyers do and they have had long spells without tasting true victory.

So I wonder if pressure from the fanbase really is a solution at all? Perhaps to a degree. But when it goes overboard then the teams are prone to go all Snyder/Cerrato.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I wouldn't say everyone is "content".

There are some like me who just realize there is absolutely nothing we can do about it short of a grass roots organized boycott and frankly I don't have time for that as it would interfere with my beer drinking.

I've vented. I've screamed at the top of my lungs. I really gave Ted and GMGM a lashing on the internet.

You know what that accomplished? Yeah..I think you can guess.

So basically there are many who just have come to grips with this and don't feel like letting it get them down. So we focus on the positives and look to derive maximum enjoyment as opposed to getting upset over something we can't control.

But back on topic...

Maybe Ovechkin was right? I'm sure there are NHL and mainly Bruins fans who are starting to see. The refs once again favored NY. I don't think it was as bad for the Bs last night as it was for us in games 3 and 6 but still very bad.

I also saw Callahan once again attempt the head snap. This one was hilarious as the guy just laid his hand on his chest.

Anyhow ..I enjoyed watching the Rangers fold. Hopefully Ottawa can give me a bit of amusement tonight by taking down the Pens.

What does anything we do on this board accomplish? Nothing, of course, except give us a place to vent... thats all this place serves for some of us, especially after soul crushing choke job number... what are we up to now, 20 something?

As for Ovi being right, that isn't the point. Lets say for sake of argument that the refs DO favor New York, that the grand conspiracy theory does hold true. The Caps let it crush them, and the Bruins over came it with key 3rd period goals to take a commanding 3-0 series lead.

The difference between the Caps and Bruins is that the Bruins overcame any obstacle and the Caps use any obstacle as an excuse to fold and wilt. Whether its the "hot goalie" excuse, or the "refs hate us" excuse, or any other excuse we want to make, this team simply lacks the fortitude to overcome any adversity in the playoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
What does anything we do on this board accomplish? Nothing, of course, except give us a place to vent... thats all this place serves for some of us, especially after soul crushing choke job number... what are we up to now, 20 something?

As for Ovi being right, that isn't the point. Lets say for sake of argument that the refs DO favor New York, that the grand conspiracy theory does hold true. The Caps let it crush them, and the Bruins over came it with key 3rd period goals to take a commanding 3-0 series lead.

The difference between the Caps and Bruins is that the Bruins overcame any obstacle and the Caps use any obstacle as an excuse to fold and wilt. Whether its the "hot goalie" excuse, or the "refs hate us" excuse, or any other excuse we want to make, this team simply lacks the fortitude to overcome any adversity in the playoffs.

True its good to vent and its also fun to discuss and debate various topics. I just think some people seem to let it get them too angry and upset. Again we are talking about a bunch of multi millionaires who could give a rats ass about you and I.

The Bruins certainly overcame in game 3. Credit to them. I thought the Caps overcame in game 5 for them.

We can debate how bad the Bruins had it in game 3 vs the Caps in game 3 vs NY but in the end you are right. Bs did a good job and the Caps let it get to them.

But if we go back a few years didn't the Bs have a 3-0 lead vs Philly in a series? Did they not turn around and lose game 7 after they had a 3-0 lead?

They choked then and rebounded. Caps can do the same.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Right. I mean how many HFposters that are true Caps fans on here? Maybe a few dozen? Perhaps a bit more who lurk?

Out of those numbers there are only a handful that are season ticket holders. I'm not one of them as I don't wipe my ass with money like Foy, BTCG and NBTW.:sarcasm:

Yeah I still watch all the games and follow the team so there is some form of indirect contribution I make to Ted's coffers but its negligible.

I just got fed up about being fed up with the Caps if that makes sense.

I also agree that it is alot harder to win if we had an impatient fanbase. Teams like Toronto, Rangers and Flyers do and they have had long spells without tasting true victory.

So I wonder if pressure from the fanbase really is a solution at all? Perhaps to a degree. But when it goes overboard then the teams are prone to go all Snyder/Cerrato.
I wipe my ass with money? Damn. I went to 5 Caps games this year. 4 in DC, one in NJ. I know you were kidding, but for real.

You want to talk about throwing money away, take the money I spent on the Caps this year, quadruple it, and that's what I spend on UVa football.

I'm done getting pissed about the Caps, I'm done getting pissed about the NHL. I watch, and shake my head at the games, but this offseason? I'm just as interested in the WWE, at least there they are more honest about the reffing.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
True its good to vent and its also fun to discuss and debate various topics. I just think some people seem to let it get them too angry and upset. Again we are talking about a bunch of multi millionaires who could give a rats ass about you and I.

The Bruins certainly overcame in game 3. Credit to them. I thought the Caps overcame in game 5 for them.

We can debate how bad the Bruins had it in game 3 vs the Caps in game 3 vs NY but in the end you are right. Bs did a good job and the Caps let it get to them.

But if we go back a few years didn't the Bs have a 3-0 lead vs Philly in a series? Did they not turn around and lose game 7 after they had a 3-0 lead?

They choked then and rebounded. Caps can do the same.
You mean the people that get angry constantly whine about referees that don't give a rat's ass about you?

You know what they've accomplished? Yeah...I think you can guess.

Funny I never see you telling people telling people to stop whining about the refs when your entire logic for giving Ted excuses should apply to the refs too.

Bruins rebounded the very next year while the Caps keeps choking after chokes. Julien wasn't going to survive a 3rd choke in a row like some personality cult did in Washington.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Letang just watched his team get scored on while he was too busy whining to the refs. Let's keep encouraging Ovechkin to do the same.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Man, has Gonchar ever been awful in tonight's game. The next 2LD here we come.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

If message boards accomplished nothing, Ted would not have met with the Discovery Crew and asked the crew to join him in NOT posting anything negative about the team.

And you know that's true: you were one of the Discovery Crew that attended that meeting.

I still lived in Detroit at that point, but Terry also attended the meeting.

So, Ted reads these boards, and he cares about what is written on them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I fully believe the message boards get the message out. Someone that read something said something to someone and on it goes. Next thing you know, Ovi is rushing up RW in Monty game 2 :)

I scoff at the notion that not one single capitals organization employee or player peruse the boards here. This board is a resource, if for nothing else, gauging the pulse of the fans.

We all know the media lurks here. Hi there!

We plant the seed inadvertently or not, and it may grow.

Its the internet. If you think those in the hockey circles purposefully turn a blind eye to what the masses have to offer, or avoid every hockey resource that happens to have forums or comments, lets agree to drink away the differences.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If message boards accomplished nothing, Ted would not have met with the Discovery Crew and asked the crew to join him in NOT posting anything negative about the team.

And you know that's true: you were one of the Discovery Crew that attended that meeting.

I believe that he cares about it in terms of negative PR. I do not believe that he cares about it in terms of potentially impacting organizational policy at any level.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yup. People tried to tell me the Rangers weren't a total joke. They are; the Capitals just proved themselves to be a bigger one.

The Caps beat that same Bruins team last year and have had the whammy over the Bs over the past few years.

Boston is very lucky they are playing the Rangers and not the Caps. Lundqvuist ran out of gas and the refs have had to tone it down a notch after the outcry in the Caps series. Boston got a break for sure.

I fully believe the message boards get the message out. Someone that read something said something to someone and on it goes. Next thing you know, Ovi is rushing up RW in Monty game 2 :)

I scoff at the notion that not one single capitals organization employee or player peruse the boards here. This board is a resource, if for nothing else, gauging the pulse of the fans.

We all know the media lurks here. Hi there!

We plant the seed inadvertently or not, and it may grow.

Its the internet. If you think those in the hockey circles purposefully turn a blind eye to what the masses have to offer, or avoid every hockey resource that happens to have forums or comments, lets agree to drink away the differences.

Maybe. The internet is a marvel in how word gets spread.

I'm sure the players browse around too or at least some of them do. I thought a few years back it was proven that Ovechkin did now and then. Might have been another cap but I think it was him.

Green threw a jab at this one fan who posted something negative about him on his twitter and what ensued was funny.

I guess if the players take part then there is no reason why management doesn't especially the PR guys.

I agree with Chibi. I doubt it makes impact on organization decision making. More probably along the lines of marketting stuff I'd guess.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Yes, I was there, sat and met with Ted and GMGM. I recall how angry everyone was coming out of that meeting. where basically GMGM dismissed all of our thoughts on how to manage the roster (which in hindsight was absurd for us to think anything else would happen) but more so because Ted simply used the meeting to try to get us to tone down our criticism. Ted sent me an email afterwards saying how he had to focus on the majority, rather than the vocal minority (i.e. us message board critics). And frankly I understand that approach completely. But the fact is, we got a meeting, but that meeting was for his purposes, not ours, and in the end that meeting accomplished nothing apart from having a good story to tell.

After all is said and done, that opportunity to meet with Ted and GMGM was really unique and it was a great experience, but we weren't there to be heard. We were there to be talked to.

Reactions: mredmunds

Liberati0n*

I still can't believe Ted contacted message board posters and invited them to a meeting with him and GMGM.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That's still blame, though. Or rather maybe it's the wrong expectation for the relationship between fans and management.

Media pressure may be one thing (although I think half the time it's too silly to actually pay heed to, and sometimes does more harm than good depending on the market). But it doesn't really matter if the fans are satisfied or not. Expecting them to vote with their wallets (the only vote they have that actually matters) against a playoff team, even a mediocre one, well that's not going to happen any more than it already has, especially if the team is entertaining again.

It's in Ted's best interest for this team to go deeper in the playoffs. Each extra round is several million more dollars. Anyone thinking he's content is overlooking that. The question is how much risk he's willing to take to get there, and I understand if people aren't happy with what he's demonstrated so far. But being up in arms or not on a message board isn't going to change a thing. Ticket sales and TV ratings (and maybe web traffic, depending on how he wants to develop MSE?) would, but expecting people not to tune in to see this team next season is hoping for way, way too much, at least early on.

I don't agree with the Leonsis critics that suggest he's content with making the playoffs. I think Ted WANTS to win in his heart and he wants it badly. Unfortunately Ted appears unable or unwilling to make the tough decisions with regards to accomplishing the goal of winning the Cup.

To say that the fans aren't going to vote with their wallets against a playoff team is inaccurate. The last time Leonsis blew up the team is was partially because the fans didn't show up against Tampa in the playoffs. It CAN happen if fans get fed up with enough. This time around he's lucky he's got Ovechkin to pull in the casual fan. HOWEVER, even the casual fan will lose interest if Ovy's not scoring 50+ and being dominant in the regular season. The building wasn't full every night this year when Ovy was struggling.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I agree with Chibi. I doubt it makes impact on organization decision making. More probably along the lines of marketting stuff I'd guess.

The mind works in mysterious ways. You just had 300,000 chemical reactions in your brain reading this sentence. You cannot erase what you just read. You just can't.

That stranger walking by you can be in a dream of yours years later. Look at our big ass alien sized brains.

You tell your friend that girl or guy is bad for them. What do they do? The opposite. So if your closest friends need to be told opposite of what is best for them, maybe strangers can be told straight up.

Or maybe you just plant the seed. Make a suggestion, not issue a directive. Let them think its their idea. The plant will grow much better, trust me. I am in pre-med.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits.

Halpysback*

I still can't believe Ted contacted message board posters and invited them to a meeting with him and GMGM.

You have a hard time believe Groupon McBusinessofhappyness wouldn't jump at a dedicated online engagement opportunity?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The mind works in mysterious ways. You just had 300,000 chemical reactions in your brain reading this sentence. You cannot erase what you just read. You just can't.

That stranger walking by you can be in a dream of yours years later. Look at our big ass alien sized brains.

You tell your friend that girl or guy is bad for them. What do they do? The opposite. So if your closest friends need to be told opposite of what is best for them, maybe strangers can be told straight up.

Or maybe you just plant the seed. Make a suggestion, not issue a directive. Let them think its their idea. The plant will grow much better, trust me. I am in pre-med.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits.

Sorta like P Diddy in "Get him to the Greek". Mind F

After all is said and done, that opportunity to meet with Ted and GMGM was really unique and it was a great experience, but we weren't there to be heard. We were there to be talked to.

Yeah thats still pretty frikin cool! Have to give Ted and GMGM lots of props for that whatever their purpose. You all at least had a chance to interact with them.

WHAT sports team does that? Way awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad