League News: Out of Town Scoreboard (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
This is why I'm still pretty content with the Caps. We shouldve been up 3-0 as well and beat the rags easily. No doubt we were a much better team.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
This is why I'm still pretty content with the Caps. We shouldve been up 3-0 as well and beat the rags easily. No doubt we were a much better team.

See that's what has me really concerned actually.

We should have beaten the Flyers.
We could have beaten the Pens.
We should have beaten Tampa.
We should have beaten Montreal.
We should have beaten New York.

Underachieving for the better part of a decade is pretty big ****ing problem.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I was kind of skeptical when the Sharks moved Burns back to forward but he's such a handful. His line is the only one I've seen dominate the Kings physically the past two years and it may be the difference in their series.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
See that's what has me really concerned actually.

Underachieving for the better part of a decade is pretty big ****ing problem.

Yep. At some point, it stops being bad luck or whatever and becomes evidence of a fundamental flaw. I believe we crossed that barrier a few years ago.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

This is exactly what's wrong with the organization and its fan base.

Content? They lost. Humiliated at home. They clearly weren't a better team. They lost. Period. It's been 6 years with this core and you're content?

Puke.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Content? They lost. Humiliated at home. They clearly weren't a better team. They lost. Period. It's been 6 years with this core and you're content?

Puke.

Amen brother, amen.....

It's like Caps fans have been beaten and humiliated so much that we've lowered our standards and expectations to an embarrassingly low level.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005

I had the opposite response.

How the fug did we let a team as offensively inept as the Rangers score 4 goals in Game 3, 4 goals in Game 4 and and 5 goals in game 7.

We scored the 3 goals on Lundy in both games 3 and 4. In an NHL playoff road game, that should be enough to win both, but at least one game -- especially against team like the Rangers that has such an anemic attack.

The Boston/Rangers series should make everyone more worried about the Caps, not less.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Doubt it. What they're thinking is that their team has the stones to sack up and play through stints of bad refereeing, while the Caps don't.

Exactly this. Bruins fans would take pitchforks to the team headquarters if they were to lose to this pathetic Rangers teams. Caps fans on the other hand, are "content" that we should have won. Amazing!

BrettXNA*

Puke.

Hammer, meet nail.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Blaming the fans is dumb. The only impact the fans can have is ticket sales and TV ratings, and expecting that to collapse quickly in a year the team makes the playoffs is a little silly.

Heck, there might already be a bit of pressure there, given how poor the secondary market seemed this season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Blaming the fans is dumb. The only impact the fans can have is ticket sales and TV ratings, and expecting that to collapse quickly in a year the team makes the playoffs is a little silly.

Heck, there might already be a bit of pressure there, given how poor the secondary market seemed this season.

Blaming is the wrong word. Fans with low/zero expectations are just enabling Ownership and McPhailure to continue in a business as usual mode....

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Blaming is the wrong word. Fans with low/zero expectations are just enabling Ownership and McPhailure to continue in a business as usual mode....

That's still blame, though. Or rather maybe it's the wrong expectation for the relationship between fans and management.

Media pressure may be one thing (although I think half the time it's too silly to actually pay heed to, and sometimes does more harm than good depending on the market). But it doesn't really matter if the fans are satisfied or not. Expecting them to vote with their wallets (the only vote they have that actually matters) against a playoff team, even a mediocre one, well that's not going to happen any more than it already has, especially if the team is entertaining again.

It's in Ted's best interest for this team to go deeper in the playoffs. Each extra round is several million more dollars. Anyone thinking he's content is overlooking that. The question is how much risk he's willing to take to get there, and I understand if people aren't happy with what he's demonstrated so far. But being up in arms or not on a message board isn't going to change a thing. Ticket sales and TV ratings (and maybe web traffic, depending on how he wants to develop MSE?) would, but expecting people not to tune in to see this team next season is hoping for way, way too much, at least early on.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Flyers in '08: Disagree. Those teams had very similar point totals and the Caps' key players were incredibly lacking in playoff experience. Could they have beaten them? Sure. Should they have? Not IMO.

Pens in '09: Agreed, they could have beaten them.

Habs in '10: Completely agree the Caps were a much better regular season team and should have seen them off with little problem.

Tampa in '11: Disagree. Those teams were both good regular season teams with only 4 points separating them while playing in the same division. It was an even match IMO that the Caps definitely could have won. They definitely shouldn't have been swept.

Rangers in '12: Completely disagree. The Rangers were a much better regular season team and finished with 17 more points than the Caps. Could the Caps have won? Sure but no way should they have.

Rangers in '13: Disagree. These teams had very similar regular season point totals and the Rangers did it playing in a much tougher division. Again could the Caps have won? Sure but IMO there was no reason to think they should have.

I see a bunch of could haves and one should have. Throw in the 3 series wins, the two Rangers wins where they should have won IMO and did and the Bruins win where they should have lost but won and I see:

Should have won: 2 wins and 1 loss
Should have lost: 1 win and 1 loss
Could have won: 0 wins and 4 losses

Not winning any 'could haves' is the issue IMO...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Expecting them to vote with their wallets (the only vote they have that actually matters) against a playoff team, even a mediocre one, well that's not going to happen any more than it already has, especially if the team is entertaining again.
Outside of Ovechkin and perhaps the PP they're not really entertaining, though. It's marginally better than HunterHockey but it's still fundamentally a pretty crappy brand of hockey. Ever since Boudreau 2.0 they've seemingly overlooked the fundamentals of a stronger even-strength possession game to their peril. It's helped them get by in the regular season but it eventually catches up to them. They've allowed the forwards to become fairly lazy and develop a lot of bad habits. I don't think that'll be easy for this coaching staff to turn around in short order so I'm skeptical they'll really be entertaining again soon.

Fans are losing their patience and with pretty good reason. If it's not one thing it's another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad