Out of curiousity.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
If for arguements sake Zherdev was a year younger, where do you think he would go in the 2004 draft class? Obviously behind Ovechkin, but would any of the other prospects be considered "better prospects" ie. Barker, Olesz, Malkin etc? Im trying to get a read on the skill level of the 2004 class as compared to the 2003 class of players, as I for one think that Zherdev should have been if not the #1 overall (due to fleurys immediate success), but at the very least #2 overall due to his skill level alone.

Thanking you all in advance for your opinions!

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Let me start it out, I believe the order would go:

Ovechkin
Zherdev
Malkin
Barker
Olesz

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Vanman said:
Let me start it out, I believe the order would go:

Ovechkin
Zherdev
Malkin
Barker
Olesz

Yeah, that's how it would look like if Nikolai would have been involved in this years draft..

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Vanman said:
If for arguements sake Zherdev was a year younger, where do you think he would go in the 2004 draft class? Obviously behind Ovechkin, but would any of the other prospects be considered "better prospects" ie. Barker, Olesz, Malkin etc? Im trying to get a read on the skill level of the 2004 class as compared to the 2003 class of players, as I for one think that Zherdev should have been if not the #1 overall (due to fleurys immediate success), but at the very least #2 overall due to his skill level alone.

Thanking you all in advance for your opinions!

defenitely 2nd

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah right.

Everyone and their brother said that, if elligible, Ovechkin would have easily gone #1 overall in 2003.

Dr.HelmutKohl

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
From what Ive seen from those 2, I think I can say that Ovechkin is a class for himself and he would definetely be drafted before Zherdev.

You should always be aware of the fact that Ovechkin was "The King of Prospects" until Crosby showed up, and of course theres a reason for this. At the moment Ovechkin is suffering from the Crosby-hype (due to the numbers Crosby is putting up in a junior league while Ovechkin is playing in a senior league and the fact that Crosby is a Canadian), but this will change as soon as Ovechkin enters a NHL-rink.

But I would agree with the people who say he would go 2nd...

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
My thoughts are that if Ovechkin was such an outstanding talent that he would be doing much better in the league he is playing in this year. Don't try to tell me that the Russian league he is in is any better than the NHL and I know he is scoring far less than a point per game. I know he was only 17 last year but scoring 15 points in 40 games isn't all that great in my mind for a phenom! While Zherdev had 24 points in 44 games as an 18 year old. I wouldn't be so sure that Ovechkin will turn out better than Zherdev who is doing very well already in the NHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you're just going by statistics, why leave out their numbers at the world junior championships?

Or what about this season in Russia? Zherdev had like, 2 goals in 20 games.

Zherdev's PPG average as an 18 year old: .54.
Ovechkin's as an 18 year old: .55.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I seen both and their offensive games are fairly similar right now but Ovechkin is leagues ahead in all round game and strength. Ovechkin still is faster and has a better shot.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
Is the general consensus that Zherdev would go higher than Malkin?

At first, I tought it was the main reason for asking that question. The Zherdev, Malkin, Olezh ranking.

But I realize that is not a total consensus to place Orvechkin in front of Zherdev.

Interesting...

BJ21

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
BlackJack21 said:
At first, I tought it was the main reason for asking that question. The Zherdev, Malkin, Olezh ranking.

But I realize that is not a total consensus to place Orvechkin in front of Zherdev.

Interesting...

BJ21

That was the reason behind the question, and I too am surprised that not only are people saying u can make a case for Zherdev going 2nd overall, but in effect you can make a case of choosing him over Ovechkin, which at the beginning of the year would have been unheard of!

I was just trying to figure out if Malkin, Olesz etc was as much of a talent as Zherdev

hmmmmm.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
OK, so Ovechkin would go first overall, then who would you take between Malkin, Olesz, Barker, or Zherdev, OFFENSIVELY speaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad