Out door ice Hockey rinks

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I live I Southern Ontario (Kitchener). I was born in 1983 and I grew up playing hockey on outdoor rinks. The winters here do not make it worth making rinks anymore. It is just not consistently cold out for most of the winter.

Reactions: HansonBro

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Haven't made one, but the city I'm in has outdoor rinks.

Been a more than a few years since I've been on the outdoor rinks.
I think the last one I played on was the Cherry Park one - some of the guys from my previous work got together and played with a couple of the kids there. Had one goalie suited up in full gear, used half the rink and your team had to break half when they got the puck.

City of about 108,000.
Here's a list of its outdoor rinks.
http://www.thunderbay.ca/Assets/Living/Parks/docs/2015-2016+Outdoor+Rink+ad.pdf

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Nothing freezes here that isn't the result of machinery/technology, but I love skating outdoors if I can when travelling.

At some stage I'm gonna plan a skating/hockey trip or tour, maybe for a few weeks and try and take in some frozen lakes, outdoor and backyard rinks, and play a lot of pick up along the way; in fact I'm open to destination or venue suggestions?

Like to see both the Leafs and the Habs playing at home too, so Montreal and Toronto would be on the schedule.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't bother to make a backyard rink here, there are multiple outdoor rinks at community centres close to my house, one within easy walking distance. We've had too warm a fall for them to be ready yet, though. December 3rd and it's hovering around freezing. Sheesh. It's supposed to get colder this week, so fingers crossed that it happens soon. My husband is learning to skate, and he'd rather go to the outdoor rinks where we can have some space and go anytime we want rather than going to crowded public skating indoors.

Every year a league I play in has a fun outdoor tournament, in February. It's a blast. Though last year the sun was a bit of a bear, especially the games I played in goal. I had to wear my shades under my mask.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
So many outdoor rinks in Ottawa that it isn't really worth the effort to do your own unless you're really keen. There are two of them within an easy walk of my place. I know some people who live in the rural areas that make one. Fun when you have to dodge trees in the middle of the rink (fortunately not very mobile). The outdoor season last year was pretty short, so hopefully not a sign of things to come, but probably.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
My rink is in pretty rough shape today. We had a thaw. Fortunately theres a fresh coat of snow on top to pack down over it and a -10 forecast for tomorrow. Waiting for the sun to go down and put a flood on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad