Eurolanche: Our tribute and memories on Milan Hejduk

EurolancheDavid

Hejduk: The unassuming scorer

A commentary on the occasion of Milan Hejduk’s jersey retirement.

Milan Hejduk. What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear his name?
I think about the following:
He was drafted by Quebec, but only donned its jersey for a photo shooting for the media and the league’s archives.
At least two photos found their way on rare hockey cards. Hejduk’s wearing a Nordiques jersey in his very first hockey card. But there’s no name on it due to a printing error.
When he came to Colorado, he didn’t speak any English. He was just some guy from a faraway country somewhere in Europe, but he broke out in unbelievable fashion.
The year 2003 and his 50-goal season.
His “duck” goal celebration.
Meetings with Eurolanche.
For me, Milan Hejduk was one of the most underrated Czech players in history. The media didn’t write about him all too much, never making a craze around him as was the case with other Czech players. It was certainly aided by the fact that he didn’t represent his country internationally all too often, as the Colorado Avalanche made the playoffs almost every season at the time. Even if he wanted to at the latter stages of his career, his health didn’t permit it. Despite this, he managed to play several games. As an unknown youngest, he played for the Czechs in the Olympic finals in 1998. There are several theories that he slightly deflected Petr Svoboda’s game-winning goal.
Be it as it may, he opened his way to the NHL in 1998. A year later, he moved to Denver, from where he never left. Even though he didn’t speak the local language, he was among the league’s best rookies. If it wasn’t for fellow rookie Chris Drury, he might have won the Calder Trophy for the league’s best newcomer.
Two years later, he was a Stanley Cup champion. What a start to his career. Hejduk, Sakic, Forsberg. A trio, which you could bet the bank on.
And two season later, Hejduk’s best season in the NHL. 98 points in 82 games. 50 goals, with the 50th scored in the very last game of the regular season. He won the Maurice Richards Trophy, as well as the award for the player with the best +/-. He was deservedly named the Czech player of the year.
Another two years… Czech champion for his native Pardubice during the lockout season. A year later, he won bronze at the Olympics, where he ended his international career.
It was never the same since then. His point totals went down. He had several cold streaks and lost the trust of the coaches. Not even the season he was named captain following the retirement of Adam Foote helped. He played another season, which was almost painful. Then-head coach Joe Sacco didn’t trust him. If he wasn’t a healthy scratch, Hejduk only played a handful of minutes on the bottom line. It’s a shame that he wasn’t given a chance under new management headed by his former teammate Joe Sakic. Or by any other NHL team. Even though he wanted to continue his career, there just weren’t any offers elsewhere. Hejduk longed for another shot in the NHL. He opted to retire in 2013.
The lines above serve as proof of the grandeur of Hejduk’s career, which is sadly a big unknown to many fans. A friendly, family type. Not overly talkative at points. But a hardworking guy. He was never in the headlines because of any scandals or bad performances.
I find it shocking that some question the decision to retire his jersey and hang it under the rafters of the Pepsi Center. I was also shocked during my recent visit of the Czech Hockey Hall of Fame, as there were almost no mentions of him aside from his likeness from Nagano 1998. Not to mention that he isn’t an inductee. How many other Czech players had such soft hands and a nose for goals? How many could manage to establish themselves as regulars in hockey’s Real Madrid as many called Colorado at the turn of the millennia?
Hejduk played the most games in Avalanche history – 1020.
He was the only one from the “classic” Avs stars to play for a single club. Even Sakic played for Quebec.
Only Sakic scored more goals than Hejduk. Sakic scored 391, while Hejduk scored 375. Forsberg scored 202.
Hejduk is third behind Sakic and Forsberg in all-time assists with 430.
Hejduk had 805 points, which is good for second in the franchise’s all-time scoring table.
Most power-play goals in franchise history? Hejduk with 140.
Most game-winning goals? Hejduk. 59.
The second place in total shots on goal? Hejduk with 2667.
He also holds the third place in playoff goals and points, as well as the second place in playoff power-play goals.
Are there still any doubts?
As part of Eurolanche, I met Hejduk many times, mainly during Eurolanche Invasions, but I’ll never forget the summer of 2012. Something incredible happened. We met with two then-active Avs players on one day during the offseason away from Denver. Hejda and Hejduk. Prague. We sat together for two hours speaking about their career. Almost from the time they were born until the present.
Milan Hejduk has always been an enigma to me. The fact that he was a mystery to many just proves that the “mystery factor” was there for a lot of people, who followed his career to the detail. I’d like to bring this mystery closer to the entire world. I’m certain that Milan Hejduk deserves an own book. From his childhood years in a small town of Usti nad Labe,, through English lessons, up until his decision to spent his “golden years” in Denver. I hope that we’ll have the opportunity to read it someday. Or maybe I would even like to write it myself?
Thank you, Milan, for all those beautiful hockey memories. We’ll meet again in Denver soon.

hejduk_retirement_eurolanche001.png

First meeting with the Eurolanche members in 2008 at the Eurolanhe Invasion I.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche002.png

Giving first autogprahs in 2008 at the Eurolanche Invasion I.

Hejduk greets Eurolanche members in 2008.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche003.png

Meeting with the participants of the Eurolanche Invasion II in 2009.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche004.png

At the Eurolanche Invasion IV in 2011.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche005.png

At the Invasion IV in 2011, Eurolanche attended children's hospital along with the players.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche006.png

A memorable meeting with Jan Hejda and Milan Hejduk in the offseason of 2012 in Czech Republic. Full photo gallery here and a rare long-form interview here.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche007.png
Giving autogprahs at the Eurolanche Invasion V in 2013. Few games left to the end of Hejduk's career.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche008.png

Final photo with Hejduk as an active player long with Jan Hejda at the Invasion V in 2013.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche009.png

Meeting at the Eurolanche Invasion VII in 2015.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche0010.png

Meeting with Milan Hejduk and then newly retired Jan Hejda at the Eurolanche Invasion VIII in 2016.
hejduk_retirement_eurolanche0011.png

Meeting at the Eurolanche Invasion IX in 2017.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
nothing personal, but I find it funny that in half the pictures he looks happy and in half the pictures he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad