Our next home game, March 8th, lets not show up. Don't buy tickets. Don't watch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, I am a little bit weary of a boycott for this reason. But I do think a big empty lower bowl on TV would be a powerful statement. What about something like "don't go to your seats until 5 minutes after puck drop"? It doesn't exactly hurt the Sens since people would still buy tickets and concessions and what not, but it sends a message.

I think it would give more ammo to Melnyk to say « I told you so », « see why I have to cut costs? We can’t fill to the arena »

Man if we could have filled the arena during last playoffs, maybe the talk would be very different today... I’m guilty of that, I was supposed to go

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why? Because Thompson, Oduya, Phaneuf, Brassard, Didomenico, Dumont and possibly Burrows are gone?

Be patient and get ready to burn the CTC when necessary
Either Karlsson is gone because of Melnyk or Karlsson will never win anything here because of Melnyk.

He needs to go for this franchise to have any sustained success.

Reactions: Benjamin

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think it would give more ammo to Melnyk to say « I told you so », « see why I have to cut costs? We can’t fill to the arena »

Man if we could have filled the arena during last playoffs, maybe the talk would be very different today... I’m guilty of that, I was supposed to go
I don’t think a couple games with 1,000 unsold seats is the reason we are where we are.

This has to do with Melnyk’s personal finances ore than anything.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think a couple games with 1,000 unsold seats is the reason we are where we are.

This has to do with Melnyk’s personal finances ore than anything.

Even if attendance problems have drained the organizations finances Melnyk is ultimately the one responsible for those problems. He is the owner, he is responsible for hiring the people that can run a hockey team and a business properly.

SENSability

Oct 13, 2017

This. I don't understand how the fine fans in Ottawa couldn't have gotten off their asses and gone to see a PLAYOFF game. That went completely beyond me. But then again a lot of the things Ottawa fans say, go beyond me. ie: a) The arena is too far. Bloody hell, I lived in Ottawa for 5 years and nothing was far! I lived in the Hunt Club area and I could get to Orleans, downtown or out to Kanata within 15 - 20 minutes. 2) The ticket prices are too high. You're joking, right? You've got the cheapest tickets in Canada. 3) It's too hard getting out of the parking lot. Cry me a river. It's hard getting out of any parking lot after a sporting event or concert. It's not unique to Ottawa. 4) Too much traffic. NOT! Ottawa has very little traffic. Come live in Toronto if you want to see traffic. And it's non-stop. Not only during rush hours . . . anytime of the day/night.

I've visited this forum off and on for a few years and I've never been able to understand the mentality of the fans in Ottawa. I dislike Melnyk as much as any of you do, but I think the fans need to take a bit of the blame for not supporting their team, especially during the playoffs. And . . . if you don't support them now you might not have a team anymore. How do you think the players feel playing to a half empty arena? They might all want out of Ottawa to go play for a team where the fans appreciate them.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Agreed, I think not selling out in the playoffs (especially game 6 of the conference finals) really set an contentious tone between the fans and ownership. No matter how you slice it, it was an embarrassment and fans will have to wear that (sens management has to wear it too). Beyond that, season ticket sales weren't that great either (did the number actually go down?). I don't buy that ppl were withholding playoff games because they hate melnyk because the fans showed they could sell out 7/9 playoff games. Game 1 against rangers could have passed as a one-off, but game 6 against penguins? that's pretty much a red flag of sorts. I do think if that didn't happen, an already sensitive melnyk likely doesn't make moronic comments before the outdoor game, and we avoid the national media running away with it. Hope the next opportunity in playoffs sens fans (or the management) don't forget this ordeal

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Perhaps Melnyk and his employees should do a better job to entice fans to buy tickets.

If you have a product thats lowering in sales, its not the fault of the potential customers.

Reactions: Deku

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Attendance at live events is having challenges in all leagues in many cities. A couple of playoff games that didnt completely sell out hardly seems a minimum bar we should be expected to achieve. And those playoff tickets were expensive. And still most of the games were sold out, the ones i went to all were. A couple of game two's perhaps were a thousand or so short. This is surely hardly a crisis, other than to some egos.

The billboard does seem like a great idea, but be careful, Melnyk could always buy a bigger one saying buy 14k seasons tickets and ill spend to the cap.

Not buying concessions wont really hurt Melnyk unless they stop paying him to set up[ shop there i dont think.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Also boycotting or not showing up to games could still feed the narrative of bad fan support in ottawa. I suggested another route in the other thread which was to actually run a parellel season ticket drive (similar to how bidding expansion cities run theirs) to show the commitment of sens fans to become STH IF Melnyk sells the team (i.e. collect deposits). We know this is the only language that the NHL understands, let's NHL and eugene see that he is the problem, and the other owners will prefer anything that means more money in HRR, etc. This type of thing would be unprecedented (I think) whereas Billboards, while are nice to convey a message, will get their 20 seconds of fame and then become old news. This will hit again where it hurts and opens it up to current STHs too

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Also boycotting or not showing up to games could still feed the narrative of bad fan support in ottawa. I suggested another route in the other thread which was to actually run a parellel season ticket drive (similar to how bidding expansion cities run theirs) to show the commitment of sens fans to become STH IF Melnyk sells the team (i.e. collect deposits). We know this is the only language that the NHL understands, let's NHL and eugene see that he is the problem, and the other owners will prefer anything that means more money in HRR, etc. This type of thing would be unprecedented (I think) whereas Billboards, while are nice to convey a message, will get their 20 seconds of fame and then become old news. This will hit again where it hurts and opens it up to current STHs too

Who is going to shell out tousands of dollars for a "deposit" when they get nothing in return.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Pffft... yeah, 3rd round of the playoffs is a lame product.

I live in Toronto and I bought tickets FFS
Not selling out in the playoffs was definitely embarrassing. All 3 games I went to were sold out beyond seating capacity.

1500 short for game 1 of round 2 was despicable. 3 to 5 hundred short for game 6 of the ECF was embarrassing. Even more so than the Spartan intro

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is a bad idea.

The billboard thing makes WAY more sense: instead of "hurting the product we like and want to keep" a collective statement was made (and the billboard might not even have to go up, this was noticed) in a much more positive manner.

Thinking the only way to keep the Sens is to hurt them a lot is messed up.

the only way to help the sens is to force melnyk to sell

as long as melnyk and dorion are in charge this franchise is the laughing stock of the league

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Pffft... yeah, 3rd round of the playoffs is a lame product.

I live in Toronto and I bought tickets FFS
You're clearly part of a small group that thinks the price and effort is worth it.

While the opposing group is finding entertainment online for free or significantly cheaper. Or just not interested in hockey.

Personally, I'd never go to a game knowing I can get the same amount of entertainment watching esports/youtube/netflix/gaming for free/cheap from my own home.

I could buy a game with unlimited playability for the price of a good seat that only lasts for 3 hours.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You're clearly part of a small group that thinks the price and effort is worth it.

While the opposing group is finding entertainment online for free or significantly cheaper. Or just not interested in hockey.

Personally, I'd never go to a game knowing I can get the same amount of entertainment watching esports/youtube/netflix/gaming for free/cheap from my own home.

I could buy a game with unlimited playability for the price of a good seat that only lasts for 3 hours.
Nothing beats the in arena experience of a playoff game. Nothing

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
In your opinion.

There were 3 nights last year where something beat it.

Maybe that just means that this isn't really a viable hockey market after all. I don't see how you can make a much more appealing product than cheapest tickets in Canada for the last game before the Stanley Cup Finals... If that's not a sell for you, then what do you want? To be teleported for free there and back with front row seats?

If you rather play video games at home than go see a conference final elimination game, Erik Karlsson vs Sidney Crosby, then go ahead. If you are the majority then this team will die, plain and simple. If you rather do something else, that's fine. If you can't afford it, that's fine. If it's too inconvenient for you, that is also fine... but don't be surprised when this team is no longer the Ottawa Senators.

Think about it like this: Fans stop showing up, the team loses a bunch of money and Melnyk is forced to sell the team. Who is going to buy this product and keep it in Ottawa? If I was a billionaire, why would I waste my money on a fanbase that doesn't even show up to games? Is it on the good faith that they were only doing it to get rid of the "super terrible owner"? Is that not a red flag to potential buyers? Would you buy an apartment building that no one wants to rent? These guys, like it or not, are billionaires for a reason, and it isn't because they throw money at things that are the equivalent of throwing money in the toilet.

I don't live in Ottawa, so I only get to see them play once a year in Vancouver, but I go to every game (barring a rare exception). I pay more than 4x the price of an Ottawa ticket price, but I don't care. I show up, I sing Oh Canada, and it's Go Sens Go for 60 minutes.

You want a better product? You want Melnyk to spend? Lead by example, that's clearly what he's looking for.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Maybe that just means that this isn't really a viable hockey market after all. I don't see how you can make a much more appealing product than cheapest tickets in Canada for the last game before the Stanley Cup Finals... If that's not a sell for you, then what do you want? To be teleported for free there and back with front row seats?

If you rather play video games at home than go see a conference final elimination game, Erik Karlsson vs Sidney Crosby, then go ahead. If you are the majority then this team will die, plain and simple. If you rather do something else, that's fine. If you can't afford it, that's fine. If it's too inconvenient for you, that is also fine... but don't be surprised when this team is no longer the Ottawa Senators.

Think about it like this: Fans stop showing up, the team loses a bunch of money and Melnyk is forced to sell the team. Who is going to buy this product and keep it in Ottawa? If I was a billionaire, why would I waste my money on a fanbase that doesn't even show up to games? Is it on the good faith that they were only doing it to get rid of the "super terrible owner"? Is that not a red flag to potential buyers? Would you buy an apartment building that no one wants to rent? These guys, like it or not, are billionaires for a reason, and it isn't because they throw money at things that are the equivalent of throwing money in the toilet.

I don't live in Ottawa, so I only get to see them play once a year in Vancouver, but I go to every game (barring a rare exception). I pay more than 4x the price of an Ottawa ticket price, but I don't care. I show up, I sing Oh Canada, and it's Go Sens Go for 60 minutes.

You want a better product? You want Melnyk to spend? Lead by example, that's clearly what he's looking for.

"Cheapest tickets in Canada" is irrelevant to a lot of people. Many people can't afford to go to even a regular season game. For a lot of fans the price of a playoff ticket isn't worth it (even if they can afford it) when they have other bills to pay, other things to save for, and can watch the game from home. Don't judge people based on what they are willing to spend just because you are willing to spend more.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
"Cheapest tickets in Canada" is irrelevant to a lot of people. Many people can't afford to go to even a regular season game. For a lot of fans the price of a playoff ticket isn't worth it (even if they can afford it) when they have other bills to pay, other things to save for, and can watch the game from home. Don't judge people based on what they are willing to spend just because you are willing to spend more.

I'm not judging. I literally said that if that is the case, then this isn't a viable market.

Here is my EXACT words. It's the first sentence of my post: "Maybe that just means that this isn't really a viable hockey market after all".

If the fans aren't willing to spend, it doesn't matter the reason, then there is no team. End of story. Things cost money, not just for you, but for Melnyk too.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I do want to understand why we couldn't sell out every playoff game last year. Why didn't I go? Why didn't I want to go? I wasn't a victim of Phoenix. I went the previous time we made the playoffs.

What I do know is that the playoff run felt like a fluke (it's a feeling, don't yell at me!), each win felt like a nice surprise, but I never thought it was going to go all the way. I was mistaken for two rounds! I never thought we had a chance during game 7 against Pittsburgh, and yet we made it so close. When we lost that game, I wasn't gutted like I was in previous playoff eliminations, it just felt normal and expected.

There was (for me) none of the enthusiasm of the Hamburglar run, or the Pesky Sens, or the heartbreak playoff losses against the Leafs. What changed? Was I jaded? Lack of specific players to root for (but why? we had the MacArthur story, the Anderson story)? Something about the style of play? Was it the way we backed into the playoffs? Was it disenchantment with the GM moves that year (certainly the Ziba and the Burrows deals really pissed me off)? But Muckler made plenty of bad deals and I rooted for the team all the same.

I'm still watching pretty much every game on TV, but something's missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->