Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
someone needs to elaborate on this potvin twitter talk....what the hell did he say?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Can you all share the Potvin account and its news?

What does it say exactly and what's his twitter handle?

someone needs to elaborate on this potvin twitter talk....what the hell did he say?

Maybe I miss took the post. But i kinda view him as asking if anyone has checked on it. Like HAS he said anything, not that he did in fact say anything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Only one person referenced a Potvin Twitter and he hasn't clarified whether it was a question or not. I haven't found a real Potvin Twitter anyway

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
NO WAY to that walrus looking mother****er!

DO. NOT. HIRE.

With DeBoer actually getting another head coaching job, I wouldn't be surprised if all the washout bums starts rising from their graves. Not that there's actually room for all of them.

Paul MacLean, Joe Succo, Kevin Dineen, Kirk Muller, one of these busts might actually get a job.

I wonder if Babcock's barber or the guy who dyes his hair for him, will get a job just based on his Babcock connection?

I swear to god if we hire that ****ing creature Paul Maclean, that might be enough to get me to retire from watching hockey! Sharks hiring DeBoer and Devils hiring Paul MacLean, would be too much for one offseason. One offseason that's already started off to be a toxic bust for me as it is.

I'd rather hire Paul MacLean's shaved mustache hairs to be the head coach than the actual Paul MacLean.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Luckily it seems Maclean isn't on Shero's radar.

I hope not. Wasn't it mentioned in that blog that they had talked though?

For the love of God, we also need to avoid that sack of **** Kevin Dineen. Garbage player and an even more garbage coach.

We wouldn't be able to even talk to him until the Hawks are finished.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are there any coaches you genuinely like? :laugh:

You mean like in the league currently? Or out of the current candidates/guys on the market?

Dineen is possibly worse than DeBoer IMO, and I don't care at all if he got a gold medal coaching Team Canada Women's. I could have coached them to a gold medal. Dude has no business being a head coach at the NHL level.

MacLean is overrated as **** because of his connection to Babcock, and because he got a half a season of unsustainable goaltending out of his goalies when his team was ravaged with injuries. That Jack Adams award just a year and a half earlier and the nomination before that, didn't even save him from a budget team firing him and eating the last 2 seasons on his contract.

I'm leaning towards Hynes at this point, or maybe even Boucher. I'm a little skeptical of Guy (just don't tell him I said that please, just between us!;)) but I'd give him a chance over Paulrus and loser coaches like Dineen.

Maybe Hynes will flop, but I'm thinking I'd rather take a chance on a novice than a proven BUST like Dineen, Paulrus, or some schmuck who brews Mike Babcock's coffee.

kiwidevil

I want a new guy because he is new.

Don't want these re-treads like Vigneault, Maurice, Hartley, Laviolette etc. Bums

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I want a new guy because he is new.

Don't want these re-treads like Vigneault, Maurice, Hartley, Laviolette etc. Bums

LOL what exactly do these coaches have to do with Paul MacLean or Kevin Dineen?

3 of the 4 names you mentioned have had pretty much STEADY work as NHL head coaches for at least a decade or more. Maurice did leave the league for about two years and had some years in the mid 2000s where he wasn't a head coach in the NHL.

Hartley (who I do not believe is a good head coach at all) went to Europe for about 5 years, but he was an NHL head coach steadily for over 10 years before that.

Dineen and MacLean were head coaches in the NHL for 2 years and 3 respectively. How exactly are either of these guys comparable to 3 of the 4 names, or even ANY of those 4 names at all?

Tortorella or Bylsma would be the comparables to the names you listed. I'd even put Randy Carlyle in that category as well, considering he's had steady employment as an NHL head coach for 10 years now.

I mean Christ, Vigneault hasn't had a year without work as an NHL head coach in 15 years, Laviolette hasn't went a full season without being an NHL head coach in almost 15 years either.

So tell me, how the hell are those guys comparable to epic flops like Dineen and MacLean? Dineen and MacLean aren't even in the DeBoer category LOL. They're in the Adam Oates and Dallas Eakins category.

As are Joe Succo and Kirk Muller.

If anything, all of those guys are MUCH closer to being a ''New'' guy than any of the 4 veteran coaches you named.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL. Vigneault and Lavy are some of the best coaches in the league.

I think he's being sarcastic.

What doesn't make sense is that he's throwing these names out and appearing to be mocking me for wanting a new guy like Hynes over guys who have proven to be BUSTS.

Guys like Dineen and MacLean are in the BUST category. Perhaps Boucher should be in there as well.

The closest thing to Laviolette and Vigneault that's left on the market is Bylsma, Tortorella, and Carlyle.

Carlyle isn't exactly a great head coach, he's just been consistently employed as an NHL head coach for 10 years now.

You can't compare a bunch of jabroni's who held NHL head coaching positions for 2 or 3 years to guys who have 10-15 years of NHL head coaching experience.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero wouldn't discuss any specific candidates or which ones he's received permission to speak to from other organizations (i.e. Wilkes Barre-Scranton coach John Hynes, Washington assistant Todd Reirden, former Ottawa coach Paul MacLean.)

One possibility is Reirden as head coach and Hynes as assistant. That duo worked together in Wilkes Barre-Scranton before Reirden was promoted to Pittsburgh to be Bylsma's assistant.
http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...search-shero-elias-on-the-same-page-1.1343482

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Shero wouldn't discuss any specific candidates or which ones he's received permission to speak to from other organizations (i.e. Wilkes Barre-Scranton coach John Hynes, Washington assistant Todd Reirden, former Ottawa coach Paul MacLean.)

One possibility is Reirden as head coach and Hynes as assistant. That duo worked together in Wilkes Barre-Scranton before Reirden was promoted to Pittsburgh to be Bylsma's assistant.
http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...search-shero-elias-on-the-same-page-1.1343482

That would be interesting. Reirden as HC and Hynes and Stevens as Asst.

I think i would still rather have Hynes as the HC. I like him more and more each day. I also think in that article Shero mentioned that the other hirings havent affected his search. So it looks like he has been staying away from the bigger names all together. I want this to end so we can have some Devil news to talk about.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
With Bylsma looking likely to be hired by Buffalo and DeBoer pretty much confirmed with San Jose.

Are we and Detroit the last remaning NHL teams without a head coach?

Jeff Blashill should probably get the Detroit job.
If he doesn't, NJ need to snap him up.

Am I missing other teams with vacant head coaching positions?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
With Bylsma looking likely to be hired by Buffalo and DeBoer pretty much confirmed with San Jose.

Are we and Detroit the last remaning NHL teams without a head coach?

Jeff Blashill should probably get the Detroit job.
If he doesn't, NJ need to snap him up.

Am I missing other teams with vacant head coaching positions?

I believe that is correct.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so right now we are realistically looking at Hynes or Boucher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad