Speculation: Our NEW prospects HF scores?

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
What do you all think our new prospects scores will be? They're are doing a general one on the main board but I want to see what us Devils fans strictly think about our own.

I think Miles Wood and Anthony Brodeur are hard to predict because of the lack of talent they've played. Next year we'll get a much better reading of them when they move on to college and the QMJHL, respectively.

Steve Santini - 7.5C or 7.0B

Ryan Kujawinski - 7.0C

Myles Bell - 7.5C (I'm really pumped for this kid. I have a good feeling he'll be good for us in the future. IMO, this year's Tanner Pearson)

EDIT: Also, what do you think their ceilings are? i.e. role and points

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Agree with the above tbh

See Santini as a possible 2/3 pairing shutdown D. Kujawinski could end up being a 3C. Bell I have no idea. hopefully a 2W would be awesome.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What do you all think our new prospects scores will be? They're are doing a general one on the main board but I want to see what us Devils fans strictly think about our own.

I think Miles Wood and Anthony Brodeur are hard to predict because of the lack of talent they've played. Next year we'll get a much better reading of them when they move on to college and the QMJHL, respectively.

Steve Santini - 7.5C or 7.0B

Ryan Kujawinski - 7.0C

Myles Bell - 7.5C (I'm really pumped for this kid. I have a good feeling he'll be good for us in the future. IMO, this year's Tanner Pearson)

EDIT: Also, what do you think their ceilings are? i.e. role and points

Santini's ceiling is probably a number two shutdown defenseman who is a good skater, a Girardi type player. Realistically, he will be a 3/4 defender with a solid defensive game.

Kujawinski projects more as a physical all-around centerman. At max, probably Alex Steen, although from what I hear he's a bit more physical. Likely projects to be like someone said a 3C with some grit and good offensive game.

Myles Bell to me is insanely boom or bust. He's a physical scorer with an insane slapshot. A physical Brian Rolston is probably a good way to put it. But then again, there's a good chance he doesn't pan out, or maybe he just becomes what Rolston was toward the latter part of his time here. A third line winger with some PP duties because of his shot.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How I would rate them:

Santini - 7.5C
Kujawinski - 7.0C
Bell - 7.5D
Wood - 6.0C
Brodeur - 6.0C

C seems to be the standard safeness level for prospects, I'd say both Bell and Kujo are projects. Though on second thought, I'll give Kujo a C.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How I would rate them:

Santini - 7.5C
Kujawinski - 7.0C
Bell - 7.5D
Wood - 6.0C
Brodeur - 6.0C

C seems to be the standard safeness level for prospects, I'd say both Bell and Kujo are projects. Though on second thought, I'll give Kujo a C.

Seems reasonable... except not sure I would have Brodeur at 6. Maybe 4 or 4.5? Not sure he has a legitimate shot at being a player in the NHL.

I think we'll get a better picture after a year in the Q though.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Santini is a shutdown D-man like Helgeson,which seem to usually rated at 6.0. In this case, we're talking about what he does, now how well he does it. I'd expect him to start at 6.0C,and go from there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure how I feel about this draft...I mean I was really hoping for some high-end talent at #9 but it's hard to fault the organization for pulling the trigger on the deal that they did..

I don't know, I just feel like we should have more for the pain we felt for the last 2 of 3 years :dunno:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Santini is a shutdown D-man like Helgeson,which seem to usually rated at 6.0. In this case, we're talking about what he does, now how well he does it. I'd expect him to start at 6.0C,and go from there.

Santini is much more of a two-way defenseman than Helgeson. He was relied on heavily as a shutdown guy for team USA, but he's incredibly mobile, has a good first pass, and can rush the puck up the ice when he needs to. He's got much more puck-moving upside than Helgeson does, in my opinion, even though we'd never expect him to score a lot of points. But he's incredibly smart and knows how to play in all 3 zones.

EDIT: That being said, I really like Helgeson too. He plays with tons of snarl which I think the team has been missing for awhile, but again he's not a grenade handler. He can skate the puck out under pressure and can play D without giving the puck away as soon as he turns it over. I think both these guys could end up as very effective mid-pair defensemen that fly under the radar until they hit the big time (in the event they ever do).

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Santini is much more of a two-way defenseman than Helgeson. He was relied on heavily as a shutdown guy for team USA, but he's incredibly mobile, has a good first pass, and can rush the puck up the ice when he needs to. He's got much more puck-moving upside than Helgeson does, in my opinion, even though we'd never expect him to score a lot of points. But he's incredibly smart and knows how to play in all 3 zones.

EDIT: That being said, I really like Helgeson too. He plays with tons of snarl which I think the team has been missing for awhile, but again he's not a grenade handler. He can skate the puck out under pressure and can play D without giving the puck away as soon as he turns it over. I think both these guys could end up as very effective mid-pair defensemen that fly under the radar until they hit the big time (in the event they ever do).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Helgeson get called up before some of our other prospects if Vholch or Sal goes down with injury (presuming he's in the AHL this year).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't be surprised to see Helgeson get called up before some of our other prospects if Vholch or Sal goes down with injury (presuming he's in the AHL this year).

Well you have to think he's 22 or 23. He has man-strength while the other guys are 21 or younger.

It's why Fayne appeared out of nowhere.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not sure how I feel about this draft...I mean I was really hoping for some high-end talent at #9 but it's hard to fault the organization for pulling the trigger on the deal that they did..

I don't know, I just feel like we should have more for the pain we felt for the last 2 of 3 years :dunno:

I agree. We walked out of the draft with the same problems we walked into the draft with.

If it wasn't for Lou being a having a monster free agency I think there'd be a lot more discussion. Santini and Bell were good value picks and Brodeur had sentimental value. But we had a chance to really enhance our prospect cupboard and IMO we didn't succeed in that.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
seems that way. the transition went really well for him

I really hope he can be our version of Byfuglien. Big shot, good size, not the most mobile guy but can play forward and D. There are a lot of similarities there.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
On the number grade you can argue Bell has the highest potential of any prospect we drafted....I would start him at a D however.

Agreed. Fair or not, his history does make him a higher risk. That's why teams kept passing on him, they still weren't convinced that he was past it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a brief call up, but I think the first call up will be Urbom or Gelinas. If they falter, then maybe Helgeson will get a chance. I see sort of a Colin White redux in him, and I mean that in a good way.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Drafting in later rounds is all about finding gems hidden in the rough. For that reason, I'm happy we drafted Bell.

Everyone from '13 has decent upside. Would have liked a sexy forward, but can't fill in all the blanks in one season.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Santini's ceiling is probably a number two shutdown defenseman who is a good skater, a Girardi type player. Realistically, he will be a 3/4 defender with a solid defensive game.

Kujawinski projects more as a physical all-around centerman. At max, probably Alex Steen, although from what I hear he's a bit more physical. Likely projects to be like someone said a 3C with some grit and good offensive game.

Myles Bell to me is insanely boom or bust. He's a physical scorer with an insane slapshot. A physical Brian Rolston is probably a good way to put it. But then again, there's a good chance he doesn't pan out, or maybe he just becomes what Rolston was toward the latter part of his time here. A third line winger with some PP duties because of his shot.

I really like santini and I think he is gonna be defenseman this organization really likes. I think he will climb the ladder fast..

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
I finished updating all the Talent/Future sections in each players profile on Friday. They should be on the website in the near future.

I won't give my grades out on the boards but a bit of analysis I've learned from studying film, game recaps and reports on the class of '13:

Santini- similar to Severson, I originally didn't like the pick when they announced it. Yet the more I researched, I saw why the Devils could not pass on him. If he pans out like we think, he should become a top four shutdown defenseman. It would help his cause if he develops some scoring, but its not going to keep him from the next level. He practically can do everything outside putting the puck in the net

Kujawinski- Lately it seems the Devils forwards are selecting hit or miss players (see Gavrus, Pesonen, Boucher to an extent). They all have talent, skill, and can score, but other factors may keep them from reaching the big times (size, health, can't pass the next hurdle)

Where Kujawinski falls in is his wild inconsistency from this past season. At times, he was difficult for teams to stop. He can score, shoots the puck hard, grown quite well at face-offs and is is physical. Yet there were notable moments where he seemed invisible on the ice for more than one shift. It happened usually against the bigger, more experienced players and teams. Still, its something to keep an eye on. An effective(?) top nine center seems about right.

Wood- I need to see more about him. The only pieces I picked up on him was that he hit a late growth spurt and is now 6'1 or 6'2, he will play at Brown this fall, and that he's a high energy type of player but has some skill. When I see tape on him this season, then I can make a better analysis on him.

Bell- possibly the most interesting pick by the Devils in some time. We all know his past, how he's a changed man because of it, and how hockey helped him get his life back together. His slapshot will keep the team invested in his development. Its great that the converted forward knows whats defenses are going to do as he enters the offensive zone. He now has to transform that into an offensive mindset and get more comfortable as a forward. A longterm project, Bell has high upside but still has much to learn.

Brodeur- I followed the Devils prospect camp and watched the highlights closely before passing judgement on him. He shares similarities with his father: good glove, aggressive to shooters, especially in point blank situations. Its apparent his technical game can get better. I don't believe he's long shot, but its going to be a journey for him to reach the highest level. Best case he'll be an NHL backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad