Line Combos: Our Lineup When We're a Consistent Playoff Team

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Predict what our lines will look like when all of our player/prospect shuffling has settled down in a few years
For mine I'm choosing to use the players we have now, not worrying about draft picks or free agents, to keep it simple. Feel free to project draft picks/trades/free agents if you like.
IMO

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Brown - Nylander - Kapanen
Leipsic - Kadri - Soshnikov
Hyman - Gauthier - Rychel
Martin

Nielsen - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Valiev

Andersen
Bibeau/Woll

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I really believe Hyman is a long term thing, people getting their hopes up of him being placed properly he will still be on Matthews wing.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Martin

Nielsen - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Valiev

Andersen
Bibeau/Woll

That's basically my projected lineup as well, minus Rychel. Seen him play a few times, don't expect him to make the NHL as a regular over Martin

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I really believe Hyman is a long term thing, people getting their hopes up of him being placed properly he will still be on Matthews wing.
I think Hyman sticks while JVR becomes the left winger. Since Matthews is the best on the team in generating scoring chances, a strong retriever and net presence is required.

JVR - Matthews - Hyman

This line up will allow Hyman to play on his natural side as well.

Marner, on the other hand, is likely being paired with Kadri or Nylander in the long-run.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Soshnikov
Leipsic - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Hyman
Leivo, Johnsson

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Nielsen
Dermott - Carrick
Valiev

Andersen
Bibeau

Non core guys eventually get replaced by guys like Timashov, Dzierkals, Korshkov, Brooks, Grundstrom instead of locking money into replaceable players.

Kadri/Nylander lines could easily be flipped, but see Kadri getting slightly more icetime in a matchup game and Nylanders line more of an offensive sheltered scoring line like how the Bozak line is currently being used.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013

Hyman's only there right now because there is no other option at LW. Once Kapanen comes in, you have someone to play with Nylander, and can move Matthews up to play with JVR.

Feel bad for Kadri though, he might be stuck with him

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'm projecting for next season and added a couple UFAs/trade scenereos to even out the roster because I don't think all the young guys on the roster this year will be in the mix next season.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sharp-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

Reilly-Stone
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Oduya
Carrick

Andersen
Greiss

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Why? Because he's there this year? None of us know what the Leafs plans are going forward.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
The lineup needs to be a hell of a lot better than that. That is basically our current roster, and we are in last place. You gotta dream bigger.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
We should have the cap space to sign at least 2 big name players in addition to that current roster.

I definitely think we'll have a big name defenseman within a year or two.

Alfie

Nov 5, 2016
I'm projecting for next season and added a couple UFAs/trade scenereos to even out the roster because I don't think all the young guys on the roster this year will be in the mix next season.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sharp-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

Reilly-Stone
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Oduya
Carrick

Andersen
Greiss

Ahhahahahahahhahahaha

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

Did Babs ever stack lines in Detroit? I didn't really follow them that closely..

LionelRichie

Nov 16, 2016
Predict what our lines will look like when all of our player/prospect shuffling has settled down in a few years
For mine I'm choosing to use the players we have now, not worrying about draft picks or free agents, to keep it simple. Feel free to project draft picks/trades/free agents if you like.
IMO

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Martin

Nielsen - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Valliev

Andersen
Bibeau/Woll

I should hope in a few years, we have a vastly different looking lineup than we have there. You are forgetting both Grundstrom and Korshkov who will be both ready to come over after their contracts expire in 2018

I'll also try to make a guess in who we draft this summer in the first round based on need or expected draft position.

Mittelstadt/Strome. Matthews. Marner

Korshkov. Nylander. Bracco

Grundstrom. Kadri. Kapanen

Soshnikov Hyman. Brown

Rielly
Zaitsev

Gardiner
Lindgren

Nielsen
Dermott

With Hyman being a great energy guy with experience at C, to keep him in the line up, I moved him to 4C just because I know Babs loves him and Gauthier hasn't done enough to show me, he will ever be a regular NHL player

willyjones

May 30, 2013

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sharp-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

Reilly-Stone
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Oduya
Carrick

Andersen
Greiss

Top 4 d I like, stone actually makes them a top 4 d. I keep Carrick but hopefully marincin is gone, id rather give loov,valiev, Nielsen, Dermott a shot then watch marincin anymore. Like the first line, I would have kapanen play with nylander and Leipsic or Rychel and brown with kadri . Not to sure on sharp but I can see lou bringing in a vet who can actually contribute.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The lineup needs to be a hell of a lot better than that. That is basically our current roster, and we are in last place. You gotta dream bigger.

I like mental excercises but this one is a little futile.

It's basically picking from what we already have.

To be a consistent playoff team there is going to need to be another infusion of talent. Be that drafted or traded. And it's going to take players like JVR and Kadri to get the traded ones.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A part of our team will likely be signed or traded for. Impossible to figure out.

All we know is that most of our core players will be the obvious ones.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I like mental excercises but this one is a little futile.

It's basically picking from what we already have.

To be a consistent playoff team there is going to need to be another infusion of talent. Be that drafted or traded. And it's going to take players like JVR and Kadri to get the traded ones.

Leo perhaps too

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The process of picking players is definitely tough. Good on your for trying to do that and sticking with current players.

The Leafs will be a bottom 10 team in the league again this year. Their defense simply isn't good enough to hang in a playoff race down the stretch. When other teams are required to turn it on, I don't think that the Leafs could do that.

So the priority this off-season will be to shore up the back end. And I think that there will be a lot of moving parts because of the expansion draft.

And I think it's the right time to overpay for a defenseman. And I'm not talking about getting a guy like Manson. I'm thinking along the lines of Chris Tanev or Colton Parayko. The reason that I feel it's a good time to overpay is because I think you've settled on what forwards you want to keep going forward as your core. You've established that with Marner, Matthews & Nylander. The tougher question is what do you do on the back end. I think we've liked what we've seen out of Zaitsev and Rielly. But beyond that, you run into a lot of question marks. Gardiner is dynamic with the puck, but I don't think that Babcock loves his defensive play.

I also think that you need to get good reliable defensive defencemen that can play. Polak, Marincin, Corrado, & Hunwick are all interchangable. If you still want to develop Carrick, then you keep him on as a #5-6 guy and let him play to his strengths. Play him beside a guy like Kyle Quincey, Trevor Daley, or another solid veteran on a short term deal.

My ideal line-up next year would be:

Soshnikov - Bozak - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Niederreiter
Hyman - Kadri -
Martin - *** - Brown

*Trade Komarov+ Leipsic + picks&prospects for Neiderreiter

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Daley - Carrick

Andersen
*backup (Bibeau or other cheap 1 yr tender)

I'm not sure the price on Tanev, but I think the Leafs have to realize that they aren't going to get every top prospect into the line-up. So whether you maximize value on Jeremy Bracco because you don't see him in the line-up, or you sell off Andreas Johnnson or Tymashov, I think you need to start to turn the corner with the guys that you selected.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be a consistent regular playoff team more then 1/2 our current D-core would need to be repealed and replaced with better player personnel.

Leafs defense is among the weakest group of 8 in the NHL.

Leafs need a Shea Weber type dominating Dman to play big minutes in all situations.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Did Babs ever stack lines in Detroit? I didn't really follow them that closely..

i think wings fans were saying he would pick a player to play way over his head and it will frustrate us, when babs signed. I bet he stacked the lines like now when we are 2-3 goals behind and its probably too late.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think this is something impossible to predict. The only guess we can make is who will be our core when we are a contender
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Rielly

Honorable mentions:
Gardiner
Zaistev
Andersen

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The process of picking players is definitely tough. Good on your for trying to do that and sticking with current players.

The Leafs will be a bottom 10 team in the league again this year. Their defense simply isn't good enough to hang in a playoff race down the stretch. When other teams are required to turn it on, I don't think that the Leafs could do that.

So the priority this off-season will be to shore up the back end. And I think that there will be a lot of moving parts because of the expansion draft.

And I think it's the right time to overpay for a defenseman. And I'm not talking about getting a guy like Manson. I'm thinking along the lines of Chris Tanev or Colton Parayko. The reason that I feel it's a good time to overpay is because I think you've settled on what forwards you want to keep going forward as your core. You've established that with Marner, Matthews & Nylander. The tougher question is what do you do on the back end. I think we've liked what we've seen out of Zaitsev and Rielly. But beyond that, you run into a lot of question marks. Gardiner is dynamic with the puck, but I don't think that Babcock loves his defensive play.

I also think that you need to get good reliable defensive defencemen that can play. Polak, Marincin, Corrado, & Hunwick are all interchangable. If you still want to develop Carrick, then you keep him on as a #5-6 guy and let him play to his strengths. Play him beside a guy like Kyle Quincey, Trevor Daley, or another solid veteran on a short term deal.

My ideal line-up next year would be:

Soshnikov - Bozak - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Niederreiter
Hyman - Kadri -
Martin - *** - Brown

*Trade Komarov+ Leipsic + picks&prospects for Neiderreiter

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Daley - Carrick

Andersen
*backup (Bibeau or other cheap 1 yr tender)

I'm not sure the price on Tanev, but I think the Leafs have to realize that they aren't going to get every top prospect into the line-up. So whether you maximize value on Jeremy Bracco because you don't see him in the line-up, or you sell off Andreas Johnnson or Tymashov, I think you need to start to turn the corner with the guys that you selected.

Ewww, you have Bozak as the top line C again. That's not a playoff team either. Once Matthews and Nylander develop into a bona fide #1-2 C tandem + when we get some D help, that's when we'll be a consistent playoff team. None of this Bozak being the #1 C crap.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews,Marner,Nylander,Rielly,Zaitsev,Kadri,Gardiner and a bunch of other guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad