Our 2nd-7th round picks for forwards is laughably trash

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm not covering anything. One assumes that some of the players who played in the Boston series are a part of the team going forward. Dermott and Johnsson played in that series.

I am referring to T. Moore, Timoshov, Aaltonen, Grundstrom, etc.

Only 1 of these players might land a spot on the big club.

I'd love to be wrong, but we are not quote at a point where our farm team/development program is producing replacements.

Expect a trade at the draft and in the offseason. Also expect a very busy July 1st.

The leafs will likely not be busy July 1st. Other teams will engage in bidding wars. The leafs will most likely make smart choices after the dust and hooplah have settled.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The leafs will likely not be busy July 1st. Other teams will engage in bidding wars. The leafs will most likely make smart choices after the dust and hooplah have settled.

They'll make smart choices, but they have to fill spots for: Moore, Plekanic, Komarov, Polak, JVR, and Bozak. There's no way all these positions that need to be filled will come from the Marlies. They will most definitely be busy on July 1st.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They'll make smart choices, but they have to fill spots for: Moore, Plekanic, Komarov, Polak, JVR, and Bozak. There's no way all these positions that need to be filled will come from the Marlies. They will most definitely be busy on July 1st.

Nylander replaces Bozak, all round improvement. Johnsson replaces Nylander, offenive downgrade/defensive upgrade. Leivo/Grundstrom replaces JVR, offenive downgrade/major defensive upgrade. Kapanen replaces Komarov, all round upgrade. Aaltonen replaces Moore/Pleckanec, slight upgrade both offensively and defensively. You can replace those I've pointed out with better players, but they will be much more costly and guaranteed to be overpaid because the leafs will have to engage in bidding wars to get them and will offer more risk than reward. The only place for the team to risk engaging in a bidding war or overpayment with its cap money is to improve defence. That is where the team needs to get better. It is already near the top of the league everywhere else.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It's laughable that you expect anything other than trash for rounds 4-7. Did you expect every pick to work out? 4-7 are long shots. The fact they drafted Andres Johnsson in the 7th round is astounding.

Really, we can only hold this group accountable for the 2014 draft and onward.

2014 - didn't even have a second, they struck out on Valiev. Engvall in the 7th has proven like a good pick for the Marlies which for a 7th round pick - ain't too shabby.

2015 - Dermott is looking like a real solid pick for a 2nd rounder. Bracco has potential but may need some more seasoning. I like Timashov, he may never crack the NHL but for a 5th rounder I am loving his play for the Marlies.

2016 - LOVE the Grundstrom pick! Korshkov has some real potential. Woll has looked like a great find. I love the three giant dmen they drafted as if even one works out, we are set.

2017 - Love the Rasanen pick as it takes some of the pressure off of relying on the big three from 2016. Still too early to really call this "laughable" as they are still far too young to write off.

I think you need to check yourself if you think this is "laughably trash"???? There is some serious potential to back up some incredible first round picks. They struck out in 2014 and it's still early when talking about late rounders to judge their picks for 2015 and onwards.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He's an upgrade on JVR. JVR is not a good playmaker at all. Kessel, on the other hand, has one of the most underrated passes in the game, not to mention game breaking speed.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
One of the reasons i'm genuinely fine with watching Hunter walk, his "eye for talent" is overrated and his draft results are weak. His best hit thus far (outside of the obvious) is Dermott. Most other recently successful late round pick worth nothing can be attributed to Thommie Bergman (Grundstrom, Johnsson, Engvall, etc. etc.).

Hunter wasted a ton of picks on players most people here knew would bust from day one (Mattinen, Kara, Middleton, Gordeev, Greenway, McGregor, etc.).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm not covering anything. One assumes that some of the players who played in the Boston series are a part of the team going forward. Dermott and Johnsson played in that series.

I am referring to T. Moore, Timoshov, Aaltonen, Grundstrom, etc.

Only 1 of these players might land a spot on the big club.

I'd love to be wrong, but we are not quote at a point where our farm team/development program is producing replacements.

Expect a trade at the draft and in the offseason. Also expect a very busy July 1st.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, and Hyman all rookies two years ago. Kapanen, Borgman, and Dermott all rookies this past year, with Johnsson coming in late for some experience and ready to go for a full rookie season next year. Chances are 1-2 of Aaltonen, Grundstrum, Rosen, etc also end up with 35+ games with the Leafs.

Not ready to produce replacements? Our farm has been one of, if not the the most productive in the entire league the last two years. Despite all the graduates, the Marlies were still the best AHL team this past season and are in the Calder Cup Finals. Plenty of youth still to come, even if there's no slamdunk Nylander/Marner/Matthews calibre guys down there anymore.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Recently reading a TSN article by Travis Yost, over the last 10 years, only 44% of second rounders, 30% of 3rd rounders, and around 20% of 4th rounders have played 50 or more NHL games. Picks in rounds 5-7 have around a 15% chance pf playing 50 NHL games, with the difference between rounds 5-7 is only 1.8%, meaning those late picks at the end of the day share similar value. I think the Leafs have actually done alot better recently in later draft picks. We have Connor Brown (6th round, 2012), Travis Dermott (2nd round, 2015), Josh Leivo (3rd round, 2011), Andreas Johnsson(7th round, 2013). Two really good Marlies players were also drafted outside the first round. Carl Grundstrom (2nd round, 2016) played very well this year in the SHL and is scoring key goals during the Marlies playoff run. Garrett Sparks (7th round, 2011) is the best goalie in the AHL and has been all year. Throw in Adam Brooks (4th round, 2016), Andrew Nielsen (3rd round 2015), Jeremy Braaco (2nd round, 2015) and Dmytro Timashov (5th round, 2015) as wildcards who are playing on the best team in the AHL, I'd say the Leafs have done alright outside the first round.

I think an area the Leafs were brutal at for years was drafting in first round. We either drafted guys who didn't make it;
Brandon Convery, 8th overall 1992, 92 career games,
Eric Fichaud, 16th overall 1994, 95 career games,
Jeff Ware, 15th overall 1995, 21 career games
Luca Cereda, 24th overall 1999, 0 career games
Tyler Biggs, 22nd overall 2011, 0 career games
Stuart Percy, 25th overall 2011, 12 career games

Or traded away our first rounders (Brad Boyes, Carlo Colaiacavo, Alex Steen, Tuuka Rask, Jiri Tlusty, Luke Schenn).

We had some seriously dark draft years from the early 90's until 2012. And I feel since 2012 we have done very well. We have 6 Leafs roster players in the last 6 drafts, 9 Marlies and several SHL and KHLers. Not really that bad at all.

Reactions: klmdg

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
We had some seriously dark draft years from the early 90's until 2012.

You can stretch that back to the late 80s when they drafted the entire Belleville Bulls roster in the 1st round.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I disagree, I think it's too early for 2015 prospects. They won't be home runs like Connor or Pastrnak, but they could still be decent NHL players.

We haven't done well drafting though, that's for sure.

There's merit in the above thought for sure. The outlook for the 2015 draft class (as well as 2016) is starting to fill in to a degree though.

For the 2015 & 2016 drafts, here are the players who were both selected after our selection (and our guy hasn't played any NHL games) who have seen action in NHL games including:

Sprong, Chiapik, Greenway, Guhle, Anderson, Dunn, Cirelli, Bean, Hill, Miranov, Wolanin, Gaudette & Mangiapane

Another poster also mentioned these other additional graduates from 2016 (?): Simon, Malgin, Nutrivarra, Girard, Debrincat, Mete, Bratt & Maxim.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
We no longer have the rights to Dzierkals and Korostelev so they're done, and I think we see what Bracco and Timashov are at this point. I used to really like Timashov when he was in junior, thought he was a steal. He was a fantastic playmaker with good vision but he hasn't transitioned that to the AHL and doesn't get enough ice time. Although he's playing well in the playoffs right now with 9 points in 12 games. Bracco's speed and skill set isn't enough to make up for his small size IMO.
Well, Dzierkals is currently on the Marlies and Korostelev sucks, so what's the big deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad