Ottawa U18 Part 4

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
If this league is here to stay hopefully it makes changes to bring up the level of competition 12 teams is just too many it waters down the players , coaches and officials pool. In my opinion 6-8 teams would make this league very good. They have taken steps to improve the exposure of these players. Now they need to bring up the quality of play and the only way is to reduce the number of teams.
Fair assessment...

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Looks like the Ottawa Valley Titan bantams have secured 2nd place in the Ontario Bantam championship. Congratulations. Good Luck in the play-offs.
The rest of Ontario has it wrong. We in HEO will break that team up and start over. Makes perfect sense to everyone at CCHL and HEO minor that never played at elite level. Sad very very sad.
Looks like the league hurt the Nats....hopefully see u at the rink sometime...

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Mainly.....half 02.....also competing against older strong guys who have been drafted. Haven' seen u at the rink this week? That odd for an expert

If you think the U18 league made this team good, or prepared them for this event you are delusional. This team is good because your league allowed minor aged players to be traded. Fact. They have very good coaching. Coaching that allows talent players to expresses themselves and make some mistakes but learn from them. Have fun, enjoy, play, get better, play offence score goals, but if you do not have the puck, get it back and here are some ideas on how to do that. The game is a lot more fun when you have the puck.

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
If you think the U18 league made this team good, or prepared them for this event you are delusional. This team is good because your league allowed minor aged players to be traded. Fact. They have very good coaching. Coaching that allows talent players to expresses themselves and make some mistakes but learn from them. Have fun, enjoy, play, get better, play offence score goals, but if you do not have the puck, get it back and here are some ideas on how to do that. The game is a lot more fun when you have the puck.
Well every person in HEO disagrees with your assessment as it would not have passed. Also the amount of players drafted in U18 also disagrees with your assessment....as well as every HEO 15 16 and 17 yr old playing the CCHL 2 finals. Proofs in the pudding....eat it up...but take your time.
Still haven't seen u at the rink this week

Last edited:

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
After watching the draft a couple of comments. First, congratulations to all of the local kids who were taken. It was a great showing for the U18 league in my opinion. I can think of at least 10-15 HEO players who could easily have gone in the 150-300 range that didn't. Goes to show it's really a crap shoot after you get past the first 3 rounds or so. Will be interesting to see how many of the kids that are drafted are back in U18 next season versus CCHL1 or OHL. I think like last year probably 3-4 will make their OHL teams. I know many parents who would prefer U18 to CCHL2 as most of the Jr. B programs aren't geared to develop players (although some like CP are).

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
After watching the draft a couple of comments. First, congratulations to all of the local kids who were taken. It was a great showing for the U18 league in my opinion. I can think of at least 10-15 HEO players who could easily have gone in the 150-300 range that didn't. Goes to show it's really a crap shoot after you get past the first 3 rounds or so. Will be interesting to see how many of the kids that are drafted are back in U18 next season versus CCHL1 or OHL. I think like last year probably 3-4 will make their OHL teams. I know many parents who would prefer U18 to CCHL2 as most of the Jr. B programs aren't geared to develop players (although some like CP are).

So what am I missing here. Your first sentence I bolded states it was a great showing for the U18 league. The second sentence states that another 10 to 15 kids could have gone in the OHL draft in rounds 7 to 15. I happen to agree with this statement. It is what I have been saying for three years. the top end kids do not get hurt by the limited exposer of the u18 league the middle and bottom players are the ones that get hurt.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
To the kids and parents.
If you were drafted you have been given an opportunity. What you do with that opportunity is now up to how hard you work to take advantage of that opportunity.
If you did not get drafted you have to self reflect, refocus and work harder to prove to yourself and others that the OHL made a mistake in not drafting you. It is not over if you believe in yourself and are willing to rise to the new challenge in front of you.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Well every person in HEO disagrees with your assessment as it would not have passed. Also the amount of players drafted in U18 also disagrees with your assessment....as well as every HEO 15 16 and 17 yr old playing the CCHL 2 finals. Proofs in the pudding....eat it up...but take your time.
Still haven't seen u at the rink this week

Bold; The vote was very close so not every person in HEO disagrees with me.
Underlined; OHL draft, 22 U18 kids drafted three more than last year. Last 4 years minor Midget AAA 24,23,24,25. Since the start of U18 20,19,22+3 school players that U18 does not count all 3 are now HEO area kids. How do the OHL draft numbers disagree with my assessment?
Italic/bold; Please check your information. No 15 year old AP's in last CCHL2 game. From posted game summery.

Last edited:
Reactions: BackBringCam

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Underlined; OHL draft, 22 U18 kids drafted three more than last year. Last 4 years minor Midget AAA 24,23,24,25. Since the start of U18 20,19,22. How do the OHL draft numbers disagree with my assessment?
Italic/bold; Please check your information. No 15 year old AP's in last CCHL2 game. From posted game summery.

This was a very strong crop this year when compared to some previous years as well so it again highlights the fact that the format may in fact hurt the mid to low round picks. I'm still a fan of the league in general for providing opportunity to players but can't disagree it may be hurting some players. Will it impact them in the long run? Time will tell. Many low picks never play an OHL game and certainly never get the education package high end picks do.

There is one 2002 playing in the CCHL2 finals. He's not listed as an AP. He's now 16 though. There are a few 01's and 00's though.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
April 9, 2018
2018 Bantam Protect Draft Details
CCHL BANTAM DRAFT ELIGIBILITY
FOR HEO RESIDENT PLAYERS BORN IN 2003
TWO ROUNDS SELECTED FIRST
COMPENSATORY SELECTIONS ARE MADE AFTER
PLAYER MUST BE HEO CARDED AND ELIGIBLE TO PLAY HEO MIDGET AAA IN 2018-19
PLAYER SELECTED IS AWARDED TO NEAREST TEAM IF SELECTED BY MULTIPLE TEAMS

Just so people know this draft started at 2PM today and is now over. The stuff that starts at 6PM is just a show to promote the CCHL/U18 league.

So again I ask. HEO/CCHL has a draft that drafts players from minor hockey to a team in minor hockey but controlled by a Jr. A team. Can someone please tell me how this control issue is allowed under HEO/Hockey Canada.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
April 9, 2018
2018 Bantam Protect Draft Details
CCHL BANTAM DRAFT ELIGIBILITY
FOR HEO RESIDENT PLAYERS BORN IN 2003
TWO ROUNDS SELECTED FIRST
COMPENSATORY SELECTIONS ARE MADE AFTER
PLAYER MUST BE HEO CARDED AND ELIGIBLE TO PLAY HEO MIDGET AAA IN 2018-19
PLAYER SELECTED IS AWARDED TO NEAREST TEAM IF SELECTED BY MULTIPLE TEAMS

Just so people know this draft started at 2PM today and is now over. The stuff that starts at 6PM is just a show to promote the CCHL/U18 league.

So again I ask. HEO/CCHL has a draft that drafts players from minor hockey to a team in minor hockey but controlled by a Jr. A team. Can someone please tell me how this control issue is allowed under HEO/Hockey Canada.

Other than bitching on here constantly, have you ever done anything to try and change this.

1. File a complaint with your District Chair.
2. Whey you lose that, appeal to HEO
3. When you lose that, appeal to Hockey Canada.
4. When you lost that, give up ?

You are screaming at the asylum but you are constantly surprised no one listens...I don't get it.

As for the post that claimed because this passed everyone in HEO agrees. TOTAL CRAP ! HEO is run by Jr Hockey, Minor Hockey has less than half the votes with 90% of the members. Definitely not a democracy.

DaSteveMcQueen

Apr 10, 2018
Other than *****ing on here constantly, have you ever done anything to try and change this.

1. File a complaint with your District Chair.
2. Whey you lose that, appeal to HEO
3. When you lose that, appeal to Hockey Canada.
4. When you lost that, give up ?

You are screaming at the asylum but you are constantly surprised no one listens...I don't get it.

As for the post that claimed because this passed everyone in HEO agrees. TOTAL CRAP ! HEO is run by Jr Hockey, Minor Hockey has less than half the votes with 90% of the members. Definitely not a democracy.

Valleydude, I'm not going to pick sides here because, really, I see valid points on both sides but as far as the *****ing on here goes, it's a discussion board so don't see anything wrong with debating... even ad nauseam lol

For my part, as a goalie dad from the region (I know, it sucks!), any grievance on my part has more to do with proper evaluation and level of recruitment or lack thereof, in some cases, then who governs Minor Hockey and how deluded the talent pool is - doesn't really matter to me whether there's 6 or 12 teams involved if there's only 3 or 4 teams doing their due diligence and leaving no stone unturned rather than going off previous player assessment or empty spots to fill on the roster. Some organizations you'll run across at every organized events where as others, your left wondering how they even assess players. I guess who you are at 14 determines everything that will follow... yeah right!

Conflicts of interest are also a concern of mine but I mean, I've kind of come to grasp over the year with the fact that there's no structure to eradicate favoritism. I'd like to see more done to remove as many potential conflicts of interest possible because talent alone won't get you places, having the right opportunity will - Can you imagine, for instance, trying to make your way as a goalie through an organization that has goalie dads as coaches of both their affiliated Midget AAA and Junior B teams? Well some organizations do and that's exactly what they do! But hey, there's not enough talent in the region says the GM so what does it matter? It matters to parents when they have do send their kids down to the GTA to ensure proper development and exposure, and actually come back with more options in the OJHL than they ever did in the CCHL.

Do you guys think these occurrences are more rare than spotting a three legged purple squirrel? I certainly don't.

Reactions: stickhandle

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Underlined; OHL draft, 22 U18 kids drafted three more than last year. Last 4 years minor Midget AAA 24,23,24,25. Since the start of U18 20,19,22+3 school players that U18 does not count all 3 are now HEO area kids. How do the OHL draft numbers disagree with my assessment?
Director of OHL disagrees with u. U should take a listen...but I suppose he is incorrect as well.
Sorry your correct....there was 1...Kealy....and 4 16 yr olds....

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
unless I missed something I didn't hear any endorsement and I have not ever heard a single person from our league endorse the Ottawa league, like I said in a earlier post too many teams , too watered down

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Was there supposed to be a year end survey for the league this year? I it referenced in the presentation that Sherry Malloy did but no one I know received one.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Director of OHL disagrees with u. U should take a listen...but I suppose he is incorrect as well.

Hey I listen to what Darrell Woodley had to say. Sounded fair but more like how the league is scouted by OHL scouts. Not sure it would be an endorsement of the league.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015

What else to do expect him to say? Its a public broadcast. Your way more politically correct on a public forum, so is he. If he said it was a bad league, you and everyone else in Ottawa would be attacking him, its not worth the drama. Its the typical hockey PC answer.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
What else to do expect him to say? Its a public broadcast. Your way more politically correct on a public forum, so is he. If he said it was a bad league, you and everyone else in Ottawa would be attacking him, its not worth the drama. Its the typical hockey PC answer.
Proof is in the draft results...if Ohl did not like the league and the players where not good enough then over 20 players per year in tbe last 3 would have not been drafted.

Reactions: OttawaDad1970

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Proof is in the draft results...if Ohl did not like the league and the players where not good enough then over 20 players per year in tbe last 3 would have not been drafted.

I'm not arguing that, good for the kids, I'm happy for them. I'm arguing that a throw away statement on a public broadcast where all they do is talk about how great everyone and everything is shouldn't be used as a promo piece for your league. He would have and probably did say all leagues are great. It's meaningless.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

You are correct. The proof is in the OHL draft results. Check out the bold above. More players drafted from HEO Minor Midget AAA than U18 and some people think the 2002 year was a good birth year.
OHL Draft; 6 Goalies unusually high, might never happen again. 7 Defensemen, and 12 forwards. I am giving you the 3 school kids as gift. Your league does not count them. Why? Oh, I know you do not control them. The huge number of goalies drafted brought up the total number of area players. But it is still below old AAA.

HEO area kids drafted that did not play in area 1 goalie 2nd round, 2 forwards, one second round, 1 3rd round, 1 D-man 5th round.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
You are correct. The proof is in the OHL draft results. Check out the bold above. More players drafted from HEO Minor Midget AAA than U18 and some people think the 2002 year was a good birth year.
OHL Draft; 6 Goalies unusually high, might never happen again. 7 Defensemen, and 12 forwards. I am giving you the 3 school kids as gift. Your league does not count them. Why? Oh, I know you do not control them. The huge number of goalies drafted brought up the total number of area players. But it is still below old AAA.

HEO area kids drafted that did not play in area 1 goalie 2nd round, 2 forwards, one second round, 1 3rd round, 1 D-man 5th round.
Numbers are up and down every year....league is unreal and only getting better and is here to stay....best part about it....is listening to guys like you....who spin there tires and just motivate others, u never disappoint Keep up the posts please.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
JC is right, numbers vary. Highest I was able to locate was 28 drafted players in in 2006 with a very strong 1990 birth year; which is pre AAA. First two seasons of AAA in 2008-09 fell to 18. Basically # of picks vary between 18 and 25 though, depending upon strength of birth year in area and also number of players that choose to play in other areas.

One of the biggest exodus of players occurred with the 1992 birth year in the first season of AAA and the other in the first season of U18. The funny thing about that 1992 group is two players that could have left but didn’t ended up being drafted 4th and 5th overall in OHL then 1st and 2nd rd in NHL, Gudbranson and Spooner. So I guess the grass is not always greener....

I guess people don’t like change.

hockyisallpolitics

Apr 13, 2018
What a weird draft. If a closer team drafts the same player, does the more distant team lose its draft pick? Is that why some of the protected players were demonstrably weaker than some of the players in the unprotected pool? And what’s with the alphabetical pick order rather than one based on the previous year’s results? Maybe some team should move to Ashton.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
What a weird draft. If a closer team drafts the same player, does the more distant team lose its draft pick? Is that why some of the protected players were demonstrably weaker than some of the players in the unprotected pool? And what’s with the alphabetical pick order rather than one based on the previous year’s results? Maybe some team should move to Ashton.
I believe in the first 2 rounds the team closest to the player drafted automatically gets him if more than one team want him. The more distant team that wanted him will not lose their draft pick though, they just need to pick someone else. So if Brockville tried to draft Lockhart or McTavish they would only get them if Kanata and Pembroke didn't take the player. Last year a player taken in the first few pick was taken based on being less than a KM closer to one teams home rink than the other team. The protected players should not have been weaker though as any team picking would get the player they want as long as they live closest to that rink. Because of the geographic distribution rule the draft order really makes no difference. Besides, what standings would you use to determine draft order - U18 or Jr. A? I agree it is a little confusing though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad