Ottawa U18 Part 4

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I answer lots of questions all the time...i also dont hide behind s handle...please answer my question. Where did it go?

Its a message board, people use handles, thats how every message board works, if you don't like it, dont sign up, its not that hard.

You ignored my question (that has happened many times before, thats fine), why were tournaments deemed 'too costs and wasteful' 2 years ago, but are celebrated now? Its a complete 180, unless the two extra restored players fees are covering these costs (it would make sense, there is no reason for the extra $10k otherwise).

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
What changed? Nothing, this was always in there plans from day one. It just took 2 years for KA and SM to lobby the powers that be to break long standing rules of Hockey Canada to allow players to play in sanctioned events while on another team.
Panic!! Does league administration believe the pilot will continue? HEO moved the U18 league under its control but HEO Minor won its appeal with Hockey Canada and are suppose to administrate all minor hockey in the HEO area. They have chosen not to make any changes to the U18 league at this time. Will they? Lets hope they have a plan and are going to move forward with a plan for the next season.

Hopefully whatever direction it goes is announced soon as it has an impact on the AAA league (PeeWee to Bantam) and its associations and players and families

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The tournament teams have left off what a lot of people think are 2 of the best players in the HEO area. They play at CIH. Is there any good reason?

mario01

Nov 9, 2017
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/isna/6/o.pngI'm going to "sticky" this thread, thanks

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Another graduated HEO player got a scholarship today. Good news for the player. The player always cut from AAA.....he played AA most of his career until the HEO U18 League came into play. This player was drafted in the OHL but was just not good enough to to play. He moved onto the CCHL and continues to work on his game. What happens....he makes Team Canada East and then gets a scholarship. Everyone develops at their own pace. Great story of a under dog player.

Reactions: Easternfan

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Another graduated HEO player got a scholarship today. Good news for the player. The player always cut from AAA.....he played AA most of his career until the HEO U18 League came into play. This player was drafted in the OHL but was just not good enough to to play. He moved onto the CCHL and continues to work on his game. What happens....he makes Team Canada East and then gets a scholarship. Everyone develops at their own pace. Great story of a under dog player.

Hopefully we see more players have the same story. Townend and Quinn are two great examples of players who would not have been given a chance if old AAA system remained.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Hopefully we see more players have the same story. Townend and Quinn are two great examples of players who would not have been given a chance if old AAA system remained.

My understanding is Quinn was always released from the Titans.
Did Townend ever try-out for the Titans?
Maybe the wrong question is being asked. Who coached that age group and why were they released if they tried out.
Hope both players do well.
Why did both players end up in Kanata first?
It is supposed to be about the players.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
My understanding is Quinn was always released from the Titans.
Did Townend ever try-out for the Titans?
Maybe the wrong question is being asked. Who coached that age group and why were they released if they tried out.
Hope both players do well.
Why did both players end up in Kanata first?
It is supposed to be about the players.

Can’t answer history in minor hockey on either player.

Reason both ended up in Kanata is because that team really do their homework before Midget draft and draft the best players available when it is their turn not just local. Example picking a 2000 D from Pembroke a few years ago.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015

5th time youve ignored my comment, lets try a 6? Im not going to stop, so might as well step up and answer

'why were tournaments deemed 'too costs and wasteful' 2 years ago, but are celebrated now? Its a complete 180, unless the two extra restored players fees are covering these costs (it would make sense, there is no reason for the extra $10k otherwise).'

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
5th time youve ignored my comment, lets try a 6? Im not going to stop, so might as well step up and answer

'why were tournaments deemed 'too costs and wasteful' 2 years ago, but are celebrated now? Its a complete 180, unless the two extra restored players fees are covering these costs (it would make sense, there is no reason for the extra $10k otherwise).'

The parents of players going to these tournaments. Had to pay to participate. The league picked up nothing.
Is this league still cheaper than AAA, not a chance.

I am tired of the BS. When are parents going to stop paying money to this U18 league.
There son will most likely never play in the CCHL any way. Why? 12 teams times 17 players (most have 21 now). So about 252 players or more. History has proved that in any given birth year over the next 2 years about 10 t0 12 will make OHL, the next 30 make the CCHL. Of those about 10 to 12 get a D1 commitment. So about 40 kids have a chance to play elite hockey per birth year.
The CCHL moves how many players to D1 commitments in a good year 40? So 40 kids out of 21 x 12, 252 move to higher levels, OMG this is a success?
AAA hockey has 5 teams times with 17 players per team so 85 players , when you consider that most if not all players in U 18 come from AAA. Moving 40 or more of 85 is very good. I will take the AAA progression rate from over CCHL any time.

Last edited:

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
The parents of players going to these tournaments. Had to pay to participate. The league picked up nothing.
Is this league still cheaper than AAA, not a chance.

I am tired of the BS. When are parents going to stop paying money to this U18 league.
There son will most likely never play in the CCHL any way. Why? 12 teams times 17 players (most have 21 now). So about 252 players or more. History has proved that in any given birth year over the next 2 years about 10 t0 12 will make OHL, the next 30 make the CCHL. Of those about 10 to 12 get a D1 commitment. So about 40 kids have a chance to play elite hockey per birth year.
The CCHL moves how many players to D1 commitments in a good year 40? So 40 kids out of 21 x 12, 252 move to higher levels, OMG this is a success?
AAA hockey has 5 teams times with 17 players per team so 85 players , when you consider that most if not all players in U 18 come from AAA. Moving 40 or more of 85 is very good. I will take the AAA progression rate from over CCHL any time.

Hey Folks, I certainly agree with nothappy. It really is BS, and it is a pathetic situation all around. CCHL and U18 preying on the vast majority of hockey parents. It is great that the CCHL offers opportunities for a few players, but the majority of players will never make the cut at higher levels. The pathetic side is that parents continue to fork out whatever is asked of them. I guess the same reason parents buy $300 sticks for their 14 year olds and $200 sneakers, not to mention the tech devices. I guess our kids are somewhat over-privileged... mine are no different. At this time of year lets all think about those who are less fortunate.

I don't really see the value for money proposition the CCHL and U18 supporters talk about on this board. It was said to be of equal or cheaper to play in the U18 league. Maybe initially but now with the addition of tournaments for the all-star teams, that can no longer be said. Better coaching, lets all agree there isn't a great hot bed of coaches in the area, many teams have hired the same coaches that coached AAA, or couldn't get a position with a AAA club. I think if you asked the elite players in the league a number of them are getting their development training outside of the U18.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The players from HEO U18 league should be proud of their performance at the Marlies Tournament. It would be great if someone would survey the players and parents.
Ask them
1 What they thought of playing in their own age group against some of the best teams in Ontario and the USA?
2 If they had the option would the like to play in their own age group in the HEO area?
3 If the hockey was better in their own age group? Or is playing with older kids better for you?
4 What system would you improve more in? Playing in your own age group or playing with older players?
5 Are Tournament's beneficial to your development? Or are they just fun.

All ready a report on U18 website that some players have move up the OHL scouting rankings from their exposer at the Marlies tournament. Makes one wonder who this league benefits. NOT the players, NOT the parents.
I know, do you?

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
The players from HEO U18 league should be proud of their performance at the Marlies Tournament. It would be great if someone would survey the players and parents.
Ask them
1 What they thought of playing in their own age group against some of the best teams in Ontario and the USA?
2 If they had the option would the like to play in their own age group in the HEO area?
3 If the hockey was better in their own age group? Or is playing with older kids better for you?
4 What system would you improve more in? Playing in your own age group or playing with older players?
5 Are Tournament's beneficial to your development? Or are they just fun.

All ready a report on U18 website that some players have move up the OHL scouting rankings from their exposer at the Marlies tournament. Makes one wonder who this league benefits. NOT the players, NOT the parents.
I know, do you?

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
HEO U18 players should be very happy with their showing at the Marlies Tournament. Great exposure for these players. Great job lads you did the area proud. But if some one from the U18 could provide an answer as to why did U18 go to Marlies? I assume exposure to the GMs and scouts of OHL teams, so much for the convenience of Showcase week-ends and last night Monday games, need some re-jigging on this one.

So under the old AAA system approx. 5 teams with 17 skaters would normally go to Marlies from our area. Now only 2 teams with 17 skaters get to go. We are limiting the opportunities for HEO area players. U18 proponents like to come on here and reference players who never made AAA and subsequently do great things in U18 once given the opportunity. But I would also argue that very good players were left off these two all-star teams, for factors other than hockey ability. Politics and who you know plays a factor everywhere.

Lets bring back Minor Midget AAA, and get back in step with the rest of the province, time to end the experiment.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
That tournament tells u the separation of talent level in two different branches.
2 All Star teams .500
Alot of talent in TO....

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
That tournament tells u the separation of talent level in two different branches.
2 All Star teams .500
Alot of talent in TO....
Now we know why hardly any HEO area kids make the CCHL.

Wow, nice job of motivating HEO area kids.
Maybe you do not know but the two teams that participated in this tournament were made up of the best players from teams in your league that were not on a school team. Not the 40 best players. This was a league executive decision.

The parents had to pay for their players participation. The league paid for nothing.

Thanks to a post below by No Skin in the Game. It looks like I was in error about Non-parent coaches. Sorry.

To all players in the U18 AAA League,
Peterborough has extended an invitation to host at their tournament January 18th – 20th, 2018.
· Two elite 15 year old teams
· Two elite 16 and 17 year old teams
We are looking to send four teams of interested players as selected by a committee of OHL Scouts.
If you are interested in being considered for the teams, please register online by clicking here.
There will be a cost to participate, the cost will be setup to cover the tournament fee, reversible game jerseys, non-parent coaches travel and practice ice prior to the tournament.
2018 Peterborough Tournament of Champions
January 18-21, 2018
O.M.H.A. sanctioned ‘AAA’ tournament
Entry Fee - $1800.00
NO GATE Fee
If you have any questions, please contact me via email.
Many thanks,
Sherry Malloy
President
HEO Midget AAA

Last edited:

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
The last 2 seasons there was minor midget in Ottawa an Ottawa team made the semis at the Marlies tournament. (they were not All Star teams)

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
We literally have no way of knowing if that is true or not, there was nothing stopping players who did not make AAA from playing "Jr A or B" (or CCHL 1 or 2) if they had the talent, so the previous league could have led to the same outcome.....

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Now we know why hardly any HEO area kids make the CCHL.

There will be a cost to participate, the cost will be setup to cover the tournament fee, reversible game jerseys, non-parent coaches travel and practice ice prior to the tournament.

I am on your side on everything but the non-parent coach promise.....this just states the fees would cover non-parent coach travel expenses, I read this as IF there are non-parent coaches the fees would cover their travel....

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I am on your side on everything but the non-parent coach promise.....this just states the fees would cover non-parent coach travel expenses, I read this as IF there are non-parent coaches the fees would cover their travel....

Thanks. My hate for this league over ruled my reading skills.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The two teams selected to represent HEO area players are off to Peterborough this weekend. Play well, do your best, work hard every shift and have fun. Remember someone will be watching and evaluating your performance on and off the ice. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
The two teams selected to represent HEO area players are off to Peterborough this weekend. Play well, do your best, work hard every shift and have fun. Remember someone will be watching and evaluating your performance on and off the ice. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression.

Looks like there are 4 teams going to Peterborough. Two first year teams and 2 teams with mainly second year Midget and a few third year players.

Glad to see 4 teams going and hopefully they have lots of success and might convince more scouts to check out u18AAA league a little more often.

I know people will complain there is extra costs but ask any parent on that team and they will think it is worth it for more exposure.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
First impression was in Sept....

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
First impression was in Sept....

A first impression of a player is made by a scout who has never seen that player play before. Our HEO U18 players do not get out of the HEO area much so the U18 players could be making a first impression on many scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad