Ottawa Sharpshooters lets try this again

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
can you please be more specific

I totally agree with you, parents should do their homework.

let me state how I am a little different.
1\ I do not do this to take advantage of kids, never have and never will. you will notice by the price I will be charging. 8k is extremely far from what I will be charging
2:\besides us being in the Cpjhl we will be in 2-3 American junior hockey showcases
3:\ I have a track record with my minor hockey programs.
4:\the cpjhl is built on cost effective rules, we do not want to see happen, what is happening everywhere else, whith outrageous league fees, and money just going to the top, having nothing to do with the efficient running of the league.
5:\equipment package, will be directly done by the players, through the sherwood website. you will see that equipement package price is below what other leagues are charging.
6:\As for it becoming a business, I do not disagree with you, but I am trying to do everything I can to slow it down from becoming a cuthroat business.

7:/I always protect my family, in the event something HAPPENS like what happened in the CIHL, I have made arrangementS to be in more showcases,
CPJHL is REALLY DOing A GREAT JOB OF CREATING A LEAGUE THAT IS FINANCIALLY SOUND. NOT BUILT ON MONEY FIRST. i HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE IN WHAT MR.Elliott and his staff are doing. As I said before I had 4 options on the table.
I chose this one because the numbers make sense and the talks I have had with CJPHL STAFF, have reinforced my belief that we can build something special.
8:\this will be a drug free environment,
because you do not know me, I understand your heed of caution, but only time will tell, if I am A liar or not.
thank you
Angelo

Two 16 year-olds were approached, last weekend, by a team in the CPJHL, and $8000 was the exact amount mentioned to them. They were told that they would be showcased for CHL, CIS, and NCAA scouts/recruiters.[/QUOTE]

Hi Diggerd, just trying to clarify are you talking about the sharpshooters program
thank you
Angelo

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
off topic

Answering Jason2020 a question from the other board thread, from my knowledge we have one road trip each per season that is overnight and it is not on a school night. please advise if I am reading the schedule wrong.
thank you
Angelo

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hi Tigers quick question are ohl teams and so on, are they part of HOckey Canada or are they in a partnership, just curious.
thank you
Angelo

I couldn't tell you, I'm not Canadian. Spend a significant amount of time over the border but most of my coaching and organizational experience comes from volunteering in USA hockey's system.

My knowledge of what leagues CHL scouts are allowed to attend come from the memo's and emails that the leagues sent everyone back when I was scouting. Any league not sanctioned, the GMHL and I'm sure the CPJHL, would be on the 'do not scout' list, you do, your fired. Which is why the CPJHL team telling DiggerD's friend the player he'll be scouted by the CHL is being at the very least willfully ignorant, at worst purposefully dishonest.

I have zero issue with league's like this, have at it, there's a marketplace for it, but don't be dishonest about what you are or who will come scout.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
For both of your questions, the answer is no. The two were approached by another CPJHL team, and $8000 was the amount they were told it would cost to play in the CPJHL.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
For both of your questions, the answer is no. The two were approached by another CPJHL team, and $8000 was the amount they were told it would cost to play in the CPJHL.

Thank you
Diggerd for clarifying, some people thought you were speaking about us, just trying to clarify.
thank you

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
simple question

I couldn't tell you, I'm not Canadian. Spend a significant amount of time over the border but most of my coaching and organizational experience comes from volunteering in USA hockey's system.

My knowledge of what leagues CHL scouts are allowed to attend come from the memo's and emails that the leagues sent everyone back when I was scouting. Any league not sanctioned, the GMHL and I'm sure the CPJHL, would be on the 'do not scout' list, you do, your fired. Which is why the CPJHL team telling DiggerD's friend the player he'll be scouted by the CHL is being at the very least willfully ignorant, at worst purposefully dishonest.

I have zero issue with league's like this, have at it, there's a marketplace for it, but don't be dishonest about what you are or who will come scout.

Hi Tigers, I am glad about you having zero issues with league, I hope you do have some in the future. constructive critism helps everyone improve.

But getting back to my original question, would it be possible for you to find out for everyone. Since you keep insisting that no ohl, q, scouts are allowed to attend our games.
As for what was not said in the situation with Diggerd, I was not involved in that situation so I cannot comment on what was said or not said.
Thank you for your imput

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hi Tigers, I am glad about you having zero issues with league, I hope you do have some in the future. constructive critism helps everyone improve.

But getting back to my original question, would it be possible for you to find out for everyone. Since you keep insisting that no ohl, q, scouts are allowed to attend our games.
As for what was not said in the situation with Diggerd, I was not involved in that situation so I cannot comment on what was said or not said.
Thank you for your imput

There's no purpose because I have seen the memo's first hand.

This link was posted before, but ill post it again.

I believe this was from before two years ago.

1. No OHL Member Team representative nor any representatives of the OHL Central Scouting Bureau are permitted to scout players who are playing for teams who are Members of Leagues outside of the auspices of Hockey Canada, USA Hockey or the IIHF (“Outlaw Leagues”).

2. Players currently playing in “Outlaw Leagues” (eg. Greater Metro Junior Hockey League, Canadian International Hockey League) are ineligible for selection in the OHL Priority Selection Process.

3. Undrafted players currently playing in “Outlaw Leagues” (eg., Greater Metro Junior Hockey League, Canadian International Hockey League) who make application and who are otherwise eligible to play in the Ontario Hockey League for the 2014-15 playing season would be placed on waivers by the Ontario Hockey League and subject to claim based on current OHL Waiver Policies and Procedures.
http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=27330

Im not saying it to prove anything, I'm letting those reading this that despite what some in outlaw leagues say, CHL scouts are legally not allowed to scout the league, they need special permission to do so.

If your son is playing in one of these league, do not expect him to get signed or scouted by CHL scouts, plain as day.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
There's no purpose because I have seen the memo's first hand.

This link was posted before, but ill post it again.

I believe this was from before two years ago.

1. No OHL Member Team representative nor any representatives of the OHL Central Scouting Bureau are permitted to scout players who are playing for teams who are Members of Leagues outside of the auspices of Hockey Canada, USA Hockey or the IIHF (“Outlaw Leaguesâ€).

2. Players currently playing in “Outlaw Leagues†(eg. Greater Metro Junior Hockey League, Canadian International Hockey League) are ineligible for selection in the OHL Priority Selection Process.

3. Undrafted players currently playing in “Outlaw Leagues†(eg., Greater Metro Junior Hockey League, Canadian International Hockey League) who make application and who are otherwise eligible to play in the Ontario Hockey League for the 2014-15 playing season would be placed on waivers by the Ontario Hockey League and subject to claim based on current OHL Waiver Policies and Procedures.
http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=27330

Im not saying it to prove anything, I'm letting those reading this that despite what some in outlaw leagues say, CHL scouts are legally not allowed to scout the league, they need special permission to do so.

If your son is playing in one of these league, do not expect him to get signed or scouted by CHL scouts, plain as day.

Hi Tigers, I am aware of the memo sent 2 1/2 years ago, I was not disputing that you got the memo, I was asking once again if ohl, q are Hockey Canada or are they in a partnership agreement, just trying to seek clarification and I thought through your circle you would be able to find out the answer for me. Also are they allowed to watch players who are playing with schools or other avenues not mentioned in the memo.
thank you
Angelo

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hi Tigers, I am aware of the memo sent 2 1/2 years ago, I was not disputing that you got the memo,

Then I guess I am confused by this comment.

Since you keep insisting that no ohl, q, scouts are allowed to attend our games.

Its not me insisting (see the memo that you have seen), its Hockey Canada/CHL. You've seen the memo, you should know that.

Also are they allowed to watch players who are playing with schools or other avenues not mentioned in the memo.

See point 2. They don't spell out any league specifically, just those who are operating outside of Hockey Canada. Prep schools would be outside of that because they are granted an exception. Other avenues not so much, unless they are an accredited school.

Any parents wishing to have more information, please continue to DM me, happy to answer any questions with an unbiased eye. Nothing wrong with leagues like these, they provide an option for those who may not have one, just be sure you know what you're signing up for.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Ottawa Sharpshooters U16AAA open their season tonight vs Northwood at the Bell Sensplex. All our teams looking good! Good luck tonight boys!

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Ottawa Sharpshooters U16AAA open their season tonight vs Northwood at the Bell Sensplex. All our teams looking good! Good luck tonight boys!

When will rosters be posted and how many players from last years program have returned? What was the score of the game vs Northwood, which of their teams did you play, the Prep team or the U16 team?

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Rosters for the Sharpshooters teams can be seen on Sharpshooters web site now at www.ossjr.com. For the Juior team you need to look at both active and reserve rosters separately until they are merged hopefully soon. Most of the players from last year returned but program has doubled in size with new players that joined this year. On Saturday the score was 5-0 for Northwood and on Sunday it was 4-3 for Northwood. We were leading until late in the game. Connor Drost had 2 goals and Cameron Scrivens had one goal

Last edited:

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Rosters for the Sharpshooters teams can be seen on Sharpshooters web site now at www.ossjr.com. For the Juior team you need to look at both active and reserve rosters separately until they are merged hopefully soon. Most of the players from last year returned but program has doubled in size with new players that joined this year. On Saturday the score was 5-0 for Northwood and on Sunday it was 4-3 for Northwood. We were leading until late in the game. Connor Drost had 2 goals and Cameron Scrivens had one goal

So 10 skaters on U16 and 14 on U18? Why are birth year 2000 players on the U16 team?

Why is Jory Wong on both the Jr and U18 roster?

Just curious how that all works being unsure of the governing rules of these leagues....

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Our U16AAA has 18 skaters and 2 goalies if you click on teams and select U16 then click on stats and select team stats you will see 21 skaters as 3 APs are listed as well. All 18 skaters and both goalies are 2000 birth years the U16 category is for 2000 birth years. The U18 category is for 98s and 99s. Jory is listed on both as he is a 98 and can play both. There are no restrictions on player mobility between the teams in our program it's whatever is best for the players development and exposure our U16 and U18 will get to play Junior this year if they are ready for it our younger juniors with 98 and 99 birth years will on occasion play for the U18 team for development and exposure. That player first focus on development and exposure is part of what has drawn my son and I too the Sharpshooters along with the high quality of hockey

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Our U16AAA has 18 skaters and 2 goalies if you click on teams and select U16 then click on stats and select team stats you will see 21 skaters as 3 APs are listed as well. All 18 skaters and both goalies are 2000 birth years the U16 category is for 2000 birth years. The U18 category is for 98s and 99s. Jory is listed on both as he is a 98 and can play both. There are no restrictions on player mobility between the teams in our program it's whatever is best for the players development and exposure our U16 and U18 will get to play Junior this year if they are ready for it our younger juniors with 98 and 99 birth years will on occasion play for the U18 team for development and exposure. That player first focus on development and exposure is part of what has drawn my son and I too the Sharpshooters along with the high quality of hockey

Your website is very difficult to navigate and it looks like players have been added since yesterday....

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
sorry for not answering sooner

Your website is very difficult to navigate and it looks like players have been added since yesterday....
Hi Skins and everyone, i have been really busy I apologize, I will try to answer as many as questions please post questions here if you are honest about getting questions.
first skins I do not disagree website as its drawbacks, but corrections are being made, the reason you might see players being added late is we keep some late surprises because some families were getting emails that I would consider a little on the bullying side. we have one parent who volunteers for Heo, and he has nothing to do with us, but he has been getting emails threatening his dismal, I can show you if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
hockey canada short history as pertains to us

The mandate given in 1968, from the government of Canada, to create a governing board to structure and organize minor hockey it was supposed to be inclusive not exclusive, we were not looking to play in any canadian leagues, please call a spade a spade, there are certain elements of HEO that are worried about competition. that's it that's all. nothing else nothing more. But I felt it was important to show that the mandate given by the government of Canada is not being upheld within certain branches.

As for using Hockey Canada resources I hate to highlight this issue but we are all resources, they used us just as much. if not more. And you do realize they accept government money.

Usa Hockey that you guys like to reference lets you register for use hockey no problem you just follow their guidelines. So if they can do it there I am pretty sure we can do it here.
Playing AAA teams, hockey canada can give a special exemption to play an exhibition game.
and no the schools were scheduled to play us until they got a call.

The irony is to have a program about bullying and then do exactly that. it is like having a junior captain who is supposed to be the example but instead all he leads his teammates into is mischief.

and we shall soon see who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

and i love the description we take kids that hockey canada developed, or maybe we take kids that have been put through the washer and dryer and they need a different option in order to stay on the ice. after all god forbid if we keep kids on the ice and not suck their families dry.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
tigers questions

Sorry tigers you asked a serious question but I could not reset my password using my phone so i could not answer you sooner.

First I wanted to make clear that it is all about checks and balances,we made the decision to cut ties with certain teams, because they did not pass some of those checks and balances we had. maybe you should look it in another way, i think we showed courage by making decisions that were right for the kids and not for our wallets, some other leagues could follow our lead.

every player from those teams either got a spot with another team or deposit was given back, except for one goalie, there was no room for him and he never gave any money. but we are still trying to find him a place to play.

if you want to repeat questions that you had in the cpjhl forum and post them here i would be more than happy to answer them

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
this is rich!!!!
"Hockey Canada is the national governing body for grassroots hockey in the country. The organization works in conjunction with the 13 provincial branches, the Canadian Hockey League and Canadian Interuniversity Sport in growing the game at all levels.

Hockey Canada oversees the management of programs in Canada from entry-level to high performance teams and competitions, including world championships and the Olympic Winter Games. Hockey Canada is also Canada’s voice within the International Ice Hockey Federation. Hockey Canada has offices in Calgary and Ottawa and operates regional centres in Ontario and Quebec."

It has grown the game, and it continues to govern it. You choose to exist outside of its regulations, then complain that they aren't welcoming to you. When you chose to go your own route, the consequences had already been made clear, yours may be a new league, but it is far from the first 'outlaw' league. Nothing HC has done is illegal, wrong, or even surprising. HC made it clear, exist all you want, but any member that participates in your program, assists with your program, profits from your program, or plays against your program risks losing their membership in HC.
I am sure that HC would welcome you, IF you decided to abide by its regulations....but you have no interest in that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
and i love the description we take kids that hockey canada developed, or maybe we take kids that have been put through the washer and dryer and they need a different option in order to stay on the ice. after all god forbid if we keep kids on the ice and not suck their families dry.

Your intentions may be good, but this comes off as awfully self-righteous for a program that appears to exist to charge a few grand for the ego stroke (parent or player) of playing "high level junior" when the reality is that most of the kids would be better off playing JR. C for free or maybe juvie for a couple hundred bucks.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Sorry tigers you asked a serious question but I could not reset my password using my phone so i could not answer you sooner.

First I wanted to make clear that it is all about checks and balances,we made the decision to cut ties with certain teams, because they did not pass some of those checks and balances we had. maybe you should look it in another way, i think we showed courage by making decisions that were right for the kids and not for our wallets, some other leagues could follow our lead.

every player from those teams either got a spot with another team or deposit was given back, except for one goalie, there was no room for him and he never gave any money. but we are still trying to find him a place to play.

if you want to repeat questions that you had in the cpjhl forum and post them here i would be more than happy to answer them

Why can't you just answer things where they were posted?

You continue to want to allege that HC is somehow the big bad bully here, they run their organization you run yours...you decided you didn't like the way HC runs so your are offering an alternative, no one forced you to go this route. I have not seen one poster in either forum say that you do not have that right.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
if charging $8000/season for an 18-20 year-old with no chance of playing Junior C, let alone NCAA or Major Junior hockey, isn't sucking them dry, I don't know what is.

"First I wanted to make clear that it is all about checks and balances,we made the decision to cut ties with certain teams, because they did not pass some of those checks and balances we had. maybe you should look it in another way, i think we showed courage by making decisions that were right for the kids and not for our wallets, some other leagues could follow our lead."
Let's be honest here, their 'checks and balances' were fine until the start of the season, then the realization was they didn't have the bodies to start the season. Burks Falls had the same owners as Muskoka, their 'checks and balances' were not an issue. the issue was neither had the players to compete, so they decided to pool the two teams, and move the players to new billet homes and schools 2 hours away,3 weeks into the year.
I guess Seaforth's 'checks and balances' will change in a month, when they realize that they can't keep going with 12 skaters (and a reserve) and 3 goalies all year. Norwood's will definitely change, since they have 11 skaters. Talk about checks and balances, for a league that made their own cap of imports 4, there doesn't seem to be an issue that Essa has 10 imports among the 21 skaters on its roster, and dressed 6 in its last game.

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Why can't you just answer things where they were posted?

You continue to want to allege that HC is somehow the big bad bully here, they run their organization you run yours...you decided you didn't like the way HC runs so your are offering an alternative, no one forced you to go this route. I have not seen one poster in either forum say that you do not have that right.

Because moderators said so. End of discussion.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Let's be honest here, their 'checks and balances' were fine until the start of the season, then the realization was they didn't have the bodies to start the season. Burks Falls had the same owners as Muskoka, their 'checks and balances' were not an issue. the issue was neither had the players to compete, so they decided to pool the two teams, and move the players to new billet homes and schools 2 hours away,3 weeks into the year.
I guess Seaforth's 'checks and balances' will change in a month, when they realize that they can't keep going with 12 skaters (and a reserve) and 3 goalies all year. Norwood's will definitely change, since they have 11 skaters. Talk about checks and balances, for a league that made their own cap of imports 4, there doesn't seem to be an issue that Essa has 10 imports among the 21 skaters on its roster, and dressed 6 in its last game.

I've battled Angelo enough (I think we all have on here, have we not? Hes attacked me countless time) so Ill do my best to keep the emotions out of it, but I think your going to have a challenge to get him to admit to any issues.

You've outlined many real reasons why 'checks and balances' failed but in my experience he will talk around the issues, not directly at the issues. He outright guaranteed that there would be 11 teams and guaranteed that all of them would finish the season because of 'checks and balances'. Well if 'checks and balances' guaranteed that 11 teams would finish the year that means they failed because they are down to 8 and the season isn't even a month old yet. The teams you mentioned are holding on by a thread. I wouldn't be so hard on him, but he was very very hard on all of us who tried to get him to open up about how this would be different from any other league. He responded by 'you'll see' and personal attacks. Thus far all we've seen is teams folding, so I'm not sure what Angelo expected us to see.

We where all justified in pressing for answers, we where right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad