Ottawa Sharpshooters lets try this again

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
Parents

Or you can ask about experiences or caliber of play our players participated in.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Ossjr joins the cpjhl,

Are you hoping, or do you have some info that more teams from Eastern ON or Western QC will be joining. As it is you are looking at between 4 and 5 hundred KM's to every team in this league. That is a pretty serious travel schedule.

Will you be busing or is every kid responsible to get himself to these games ?

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
league question

Hi Valleydude, I will answer as best as possible, do not want discussion stuff deleted again by ottawadad, All I can tell you is there are more teams, I will wait for them to announce. players will be bused to away games , plus we are going to do 2-3 junior showcases in the states. I had a choice of joining 4 different leagues and I really believe this is the best one for the kids in my program. All the owners are working together. Which was important to me. We want to create an environment where kids can develop and still go to school. We do not want them with us forever, we want to be a stepping stone on the road to them achieving their goals. If you want more clarification on other aspects let me know.
thanks

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
teams

sorry about that left out something we are only accepting 10 teams, we had a lot more applications, but we are doing this properly. as for quebec, I would predict in the 2nd year of the league quebec will have its own division.
thank you

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Hi Valleydude, I will answer as best as possible, do not want discussion stuff deleted again by ottawadad, All I can tell you is there are more teams, I will wait for them to announce. players will be bused to away games , plus we are going to do 2-3 junior showcases in the states. I had a choice of joining 4 different leagues and I really believe this is the best one for the kids in my program. All the owners are working together. Which was important to me. We want to create an environment where kids can develop and still go to school. We do not want them with us forever, we want to be a stepping stone on the road to them achieving their goals. If you want more clarification on other aspects let me know.
thanks

I didn't delete a thing, the moderators found you where breaking the rules, so they deleted your posts. Don't break the rules, don't have posts deleted.

Im not all powerful :laugh:

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
Where is the league going to get its players from? With all the leagues can't see the talent being very good. Your U 16 team last year was pretty much made up of kids that would have played B Rep last year.

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
I am not trying to be rude but I guess I wonder why do we need another league in Ontario?

Best of luck to all involved.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Where is the league going to get its players from? With all the leagues can't see the talent being very good. Your U 16 team last year was pretty much made up of kids that would have played B Rep last year.

Competitive hockey is moving forward quickly, and it will be interesting to see how this new league does. Your point might be valid, but then again I would have never thought that Ottawa could support the dozens (hundreds?) of AAA Spring teams that have popped up.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015

http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/6499644-hockey-team-owner-pushing-for-junior-team-in-creemore/
'“The main focus is on development. We’re looking for the kid who’s been missed,†Laveault said. “The OHL will pick triple-A players; we’re not looking for triple-A players. We’re looking for the double-A or the A guy who got missed.'

Serves a purpose I guess. Good for the kids but thats alot of work/travel for that level of hockey.

Doing a bit of reasarch it looks like these teams, Sharpshooters excluded, where all invovled with the GMHL and have chosen to branch off into their on league. The commish of the league ran one of the teams last year, I think most teams played in the league. Grey Bruce, Coldwater, Grey Highland for sure anyways.

Hope for the kids involved it doesn't become the way of the CIHL, it came in with the same fan fare last year around this time.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
here is a crazy idea locally, our rep kids seem to be doing pretty good at the try-outs so far. and also outside the ottawa area.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
she's back

http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/6499644-hockey-team-owner-pushing-for-junior-team-in-creemore/
'“The main focus is on development. We’re looking for the kid who’s been missed,†Laveault said. “The OHL will pick triple-A players; we’re not looking for triple-A players. We’re looking for the double-A or the A guy who got missed.'

Serves a purpose I guess. Good for the kids but thats alot of work/travel for that level of hockey.

Doing a bit of reasarch it looks like these teams, Sharpshooters excluded, where all invovled with the GMHL and have chosen to branch off into their on league. The commish of the league ran one of the teams last year, I think most teams played in the league. Grey Bruce, Coldwater, Grey Highland for sure anyways.

Hope for the kids involved it doesn't become the way of the CIHL, it came in with the same fan fare last year around this time.

I know it sounds crazy to some of you, hockey for kids, drug free zone, in the past the leagues like cihl, gmhl were called alberta junior league, canadian junior hockey league, and I can name more they all had to start somewhere and at the time they also were considered different.
the level of play is simple, to develop hockey players on and off the ice. i am pretty sure like the sharpshooters it will pleasantly surprise some and aggravate others.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014

anytime you want to play my REP KIDS you let me know.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
offer still stands

Your team would have been at the bottom of the AA loop last season. Most of the players weren't going to make AA teams thats why they went to you.
offer still stands, maybe you should come and watch before you try to create your facts with fiction.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I know it sounds crazy to some of you, hockey for kids, drug free zone, in the past the leagues like cihl, gmhl were called alberta junior league, canadian junior hockey league, and I can name more they all had to start somewhere and at the time they also were considered different.
the level of play is simple, to develop hockey players on and off the ice. i am pretty sure like the sharpshooters it will pleasantly surprise some and aggravate others.

It was a much different world back then, apples to oranges, there wasn't a new league popping up every year.

The issues becomes sustainability and business model. Right away your taking the CHL out of the hands of these players (and perhaps that's not a big deal skill wise). The CIHL ran into it last year and didn't last 2 months, the GTA league that spawned off of the CIHL didn't last much longer. Its hard to keep parents paying the bills when D3 is the only light at the end of the tunnel, CIS is better (the GMHL doesn't send kids to D1 schools). Semi-Pro would be an option as well, but im not sure the point of playing for $500 a month in the federal hockey league or the Southern Pro Hockey league, but that's me.

As long as everyone is up front and above board about expectations and the long term goals of the players, then have at it, there's a market for it.

offer still stands, maybe you should come and watch before you try to create your facts with fiction.

A bit of unsolicited advice, be nicer to people, potential customers could be reading this, and im not sure your doing yourself much help from a PR standpoint.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
just hockey

Hi Tigers1992, I rather enjoyed your post for the most part, just wanted to point out a few things, I do not see how I am taking kids out of the CHL, IN THE PAST there have been kids that have played on CHL rosters, that came from independent teams. Also only time will tell if only a D3 offer is on the table for some of them. One last thing just to correct you on my personal approach to this.
it is not based on a business model first. it is based on people. as for sustainability like my minor hockey programs, I am not tied to one league or one idea, as you well know the hockey world is big out there, My rule is simple what is best for the player on and off the ice. If that means playing midget AAA, chl, junior b, my program, nahl, ushl, ehl an so on, I will help them get there if I can. It might sound crazy but i do not see the families involved with me as customers. I am what I am. to quote Popeye

I mean this in a nice way so if it comes out wrong I apologise ahead of time to you. please continue to post your thoughts, I really appreciate it, it allows me go over my process in reaching conclusions on what to do next, and helps me have a better understanding of decisions I make.
thank you

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hi Tigers1992, I rather enjoyed your post for the most part, just wanted to point out a few things, I do not see how I am taking kids out of the CHL, IN THE PAST there have been kids that have played on CHL rosters, that came from independent teams.

I think the last one came in the 95 age group, zero since then. Again, its a much different world. CHL scouts being banned from attending non sanctioned games can't make it easy for kids. Perhaps an import here and there, but even that's stopped. Past history suggests the CHL has stopped looking to outlaw leagues.

I mean this in a nice way so if it comes out wrong I apologise ahead of time to you. please continue to post your thoughts, I really appreciate it, it allows me go over my process in reaching conclusions on what to do next, and helps me have a better understanding of decisions I make.
thank you

Happy to, much like yourself 99 percent of the kids we work with on the agency side don't get their long term goal, but if we can help them as much as possible and help them get to a better spot at the end of the day, I'm good with that, Ill always tell a client to take the CHL education package over the $$$ the AHL/ECHL offer, I lose money (not that much) but the kids better off with the CHL.

My point with the 'unsolicited advice' was that some of your commnets on here make you look angry and aggressive, it doesn't put you in the best light. Just an FYI, do what you wish.

Last edited:

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
state of affairs

Your words are well taken, in the last couple of years if my memory is right, there was 4, I can check and let you know exactly how many. but your right on alot aspects, but I think that is also due, to the fact that like some prep schools popping up now, they are really based on european kids, I think you will start seeing a swing going the other way.
A good amount of prep schools/independent programs, their core was built around the dollar sign , not education and development.

As for a lot kids not reaching their goals, there I have to disagree with you, because it is the other way for us, I do not lie to them, I lay on the line, so my players for the most part set realistic goals and they understand why they are doing this. That is why the majority of players I help play hockey longer.
I really believe as parents begin to educate themselves, they will start to realize that playing with a certain team sometimes lacks the benefits they were looking for, no matter what level you label it. and that a team having your rights for four years can be destructive to your options, as you know teams are asking a lot more than they used to for PDF fees, and some organisations see it as an extra avenue to make money. and they totally ignore the consequences for the players.
Also with the new Ontario law for families making $50000- university is free in Ontario. will also change things.

But do not misunderstand what I am saying, the Chl is a very good option, but there are also other ones out there. It is a numbers game, there are a lot of talented players in Eastern Ontario, and for majority of them, If there going to player Junior A hockey, it will have to be away from home, in some cases it is not because of lack of talent.
My biggest concern is you can actually see a correlation between a drop(boys side) to the branches exercising more power over the years within hockey Canada. and the focus should start being directed, at out of the box ways to keep kids in hockey and somewhere down the line there has to be a balance between money decisions, and the love of the sport decisions. to me personally, making an extra $10000, is less important than having 10 productive human beings entering society as young adults.
I loved Hockey Canada, it gave me a lot, it help shape me into the person I am Now. but unfortunately people are allowed to disagree and have different opinions and somewhere it became a try to discredit, attack threaten anyone who goes against the powers that be. Again I emphasize not hockey Canada but some branches. But I still have to look at Hockey Canada, because they have become facilitators to what some branches are doing.

As for scouts, not being able to attend, again not an opinion but a fact, we had no issues attracting attention, if you do not believe me, just ask any of the families you meet in the rinks that played with us. and next year it will be even better, being a part of the Ejepl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad