Ottawa Senators Top Ten: Offensively Skilled Defensemen

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Yet another top ten, with this category ranking the defensemen in the organization by their offensive abilities. This should factor in the individual skill of the player, not by what role they may carry with the team currently. Skills to consider should include their passing, shooting, skating, and general offensive awareness. Production should be a factor, but it should be considered that someone could be playing a more balanced role while having more offensive skill.

With all that said, here are my rankings:

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Patrick Wiercioch
3. Cody Ceci
4. Chris Wideman
5. Thomas Chabot
6. Marc Methot
7. Fredrik Claesson
8. Mikael Wikstrand
9. Jared Cowen
10. Kelly Summers

HM: Harpur, Borowiecki

Leave your own ranking below, debate, and let me know if there's something you'd like to see ranked next!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yet another top ten, with this category ranking the defensemen in the organization by their offensive abilities. This should factor in the individual skill of the player, not by what role they may carry with the team currently. Skills to consider should include their passing, shooting, skating, and general offensive awareness. Production should be a factor, but it should be considered that someone could be playing a more balanced role while having more offensive skill.

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Patrick Wiercioch
3. Cody Ceci
4. Chris Wideman
5. Thomas Chabot
6. Marc Methot
7. Fredrik Claesson
8. Mikael Wikstrand
9. Jared Cowen
10. Kelly Summers

Leave your own ranking below, debate, and let me know if there's something you'd like to see ranked next!

It is a sad list after Karlsson... The defacto 1 in the world. Let's hope Wideman, Ceci, wiercioch and Cowen all improve or we are not that good of NHL team.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think this list exposes a weakness in our D corps. After EK, we don't have a guy who can truly "bring it" offensively. P-dub is a pretty good puck mover whose shot can get through screens, but he is by no means on offensive defenseman. We need a guy on the second pairing in the mold of an Ehrhoff IMO. Maybe Wideman can step up over the next few years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That guy will be Ceci. The guy after him will be Vikstrand.

Lol @ Claesson ahead of vikstrand.

Vikstrand broke OEL's goal-scoring record in SEL2 as 18 year old.

Having a generational offense on defense and then Ceci who should be able to put up 35-40 is great production, I'm also confident in whoever becomes our stable LD to put up points whether its Wier/Cowen or external.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually, but that will change in the near future :

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Chris Wideman
3. Mikael Wikstrand
4. Patrick Wiercioch
5. Cody Ceci
6. Thomas Chabot
7. Marc Methot
8. Jared Cowen
9. Ben Harpur
10. Miles Gendron/Kelly Summers

Chris Wideman is very dynamic, it's actually one of the things I am the most interested about this season. What type of he will become? Benoit? Alex Picard? Brendan Bell? Campoli? How long can he stay in the NHL? Will his offense be sufficient? He needs to produce that's for sure.

Wikstrand is the real deal, hopefully he transitions well to the NA game.

Ceci has to get more comfortable in the NHL. Of course, it doesn't make much sense to list both NHL players and non-NHL players but anyway, this is just for fun

That guy will be Ceci. The guy after him will be Vikstrand.

Lol @ Claesson ahead of vikstrand.

My thoughts

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Would Methot or Cowan be available

I am a fan of Marc Methot & see potential in Jared Cowan - would either of them be available for the right price?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I am a fan of Marc Methot & see potential in Jared Cowan - would either of them be available for the right price?

Methot is not, he's EK's long-term partner barring some unforeseen star defenseman acquisition . Cowen would theoretically be, but our GM really wants to give him another year to prove himself as a defensive fixture on the team before moving him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Karlsson
2. Chabot
3. Ceci
4. Wikstrand
5. Wideman
6. Harpur
8. Wiercoch
9. Cowen
10. Methot
11. Phillips
12. Claesson

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think this list exposes a weakness in our D corps. After EK, we don't have a guy who can truly "bring it" offensively. P-dub is a pretty good puck mover whose shot can get through screens, but he is by no means on offensive defenseman. We need a guy on the second pairing in the mold of an Ehrhoff IMO. Maybe Wideman can step up over the next few years.

Tell me any other team who has more than one defender who can bring it like Karlsson does? Maybe Weber and Josi? Maybe...

Otherwise, we have a fairly good defensive core.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Patrick Wiercioch
3. Cody Ceci
4. Chris Wideman
5. Thomas Chabot
6. Marc Methot
7. Fredrik Claesson
8. Mikael Wikstrand
9. Jared Cowen
10. Kelly Summers

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Cody Ceci
3. Thomas Chabot
4. Mikael Wikstrand
5. Chris Wideman
6. Patrick Wiercioch
7. Jared Cowen
8. Miles Gendron
9. Fredrik Claesson
10. Andreas Englund

Cody Ceci was tearing it up in the AHL. Let us not forget that. It is only a matter of time before his potential shows through in the NHL. I remember when Ceci did this crazy rush and then stopped on a dime and ripped it past a goalie in the AHL. It was magnificent. I believe Chabot and Wikstrand are fairly close in potential. Wideman and Wiercioch are slightly behind them. Cowen is a floater... he has the potential to be the full package, but needs to make his defense sound first. Gendron has good stats in the BCHL... perhaps he can translate them. Claesson has proven to be not too bad in the AHL... not uber fantastic, but not bad. I believe Englund is a sleeper. This kid is likely going to have a hell of a slap shot. We will see what he can do with it.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Phillips
Karlsson
Ceci
Wikstrand
Wiercioch
Chabot
Wideman
Claesson

Don't know how any other of our prospects play to rate them, and don't wanna throw Boro's/Cowens into to it to complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad