Rumor: Ottawa Senators in for potential Ownership Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is great news, stable ownership, and the prospect of downtown Arena on the horizon .............. can't happen soon enough.

Great news would imply improvement. This is neutral news.

Melnyk as an owner certainly has it's flaws but it's also better than some situations out there. The groups rumoured to be interested in buying the team, regardless of whether or not Melnyk is currently will to sell, seem like upgrades in terms of their reputations, and financial situations, but the grass is always greener they say.

In the end, my stance is that Melnyk has a reputation for being misleading, so I'm not all that willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he denies the rumours, but at this stage that's all they are, so that's how I treat them.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
IsyLqJF

IMG_2131.png

Why is he so unlikeable?

Because he is the god damn Donald Trump of Canada. Didn't he get booted out of his own company?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't understand how anyone can still support Melynk at this stage.

I used to support him (as much as I could) and every year I have become less and less supportive, probably the past one to two years I've had a 100% dislike of the man. I try my hardest to not judge people, especially people with whom I've never met, but he makes it difficult to not think he's a gigantic POS. That Tweet just adds more fuel to the fire.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I used to support him (as much as I could) and every year I have become less and less supportive, probably the past one to two years I've had a 100% dislike of the man. I try my hardest to not judge people, especially people with whom I've never met, but he makes it difficult to not think he's a gigantic POS. That Tweet just adds more fuel to the fire.
I'm on the same boat. Used to defend him a lot around here and now I dispise him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed.

At first, he was a lovable/comical bumbling half-drunken uncle....but his act really took a sinister turn along the way. Kinda feels like he started hitting the deep end around the whole "CSI" incident.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

You can and absolutely should , "judge" people. You don't have to make it about moral superiority, you can judge that someone is a dick or is lying for example.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You can and absolutely should , "judge" people. You don't have to make it about moral superiority, you can judge that someone is a dick or is lying for example.

It's not about moral superiority, it's more about not knowing a person, what they went through, etc. I mean I get what you're saying though, as humans its what we do, and you really can't stop it. Let's just put it more of "being open minded towards other peoples actions" but yeah, Melnyk is someone I would never want to interact with in my entire life judging by his media persona at least. His actions over the past few years has just turned him into a pretty big embarrassment. And its not like that "oh look at my im a quirky eccentric pixie dust billionaire" embarrassment either.

Cliff notes: The guy is an ass hole.

Reactions: Brethers

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's not about moral superiority, it's more about not knowing a person, what they went through, etc. I mean I get what you're saying though, as humans its what we do, and you really can't stop it. Let's just put it more of "being open minded towards other peoples actions" but yeah, Melnyk is someone I would never want to interact with in my entire life judging by his media persona at least. His actions over the past few years has just turned him into a pretty big embarrassment. And its not like that "oh look at my im a quirky eccentric pixie dust billionaire" embarrassment either.

Cliff notes: The guy is an ass hole.
You can judge his actions.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You can judge his actions.

For sure, as long as you know those actions are committed. It's the "speculation" and "gossipy" rumor mill stuff that I don't want to judge on.

Such as why I didn't judge him on that whole Ukrainian Yost hacking thing. I have no idea what was going on there and if he actually did anything.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I was, for a long time, a big defender of Melnyk because he really did (in my opinion) save the Senators from the brink of collapse and relocation. I've given him a pass on many many many things because he saved the team.

But this tweet, especially in this time of extremely heightened awareness and sensitivity towards sexual abuse and misconduct, just shows how completely out to lunch Melnyk is. I don't think there's a way to defend that.

Reactions: MarkStone and Daxi

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The whole city hates him at this point. Even fair weather fans love to jump on the Melnyk hate train. So unfortunate what happened, he was absolutely revered when he bought the team and for a number of years after. Maybe it was the divorce that sent him off the deep end. Emptied his pockets and seemingly destroyed his soul.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Melynk needs to be caught saying or doing something horrible that would make the league force him to sell

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The whole city hates him at this point. Even fair weather fans love to jump on the Melnyk hate train. So unfortunate what happened, he was absolutely revered when he bought the team and for a number of years after. Maybe it was the divorce that sent him off the deep end. Emptied his pockets and seemingly destroyed his soul.

Def the divorce and the implosion of a several billion dollar company

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I'm not saying there are not people, fans, in this area that dislike the owner, for whatever reasons they have .......... but the reply I made was disputing the "Hate the owner" claim, and I can't believe a majority of people, fans, fall into that category.

I'd also like to add that all those who claim he is in extreme financial trouble, have yet to explain how the NCC, in their due diligence investigations into the Lebreton bidding process, did not discover these alleged financial problems, and ended up awarding his group the rights to the development.

I suspect if there was any indication that his group would not have the financial backing, and the ability to carry the project forward as claimed in the bidding process, that the NCC would not have awarded his group the rights to develop.

I'll wait for real evidence, rather than assuming the rumours have the substance that many seem to want to believe.

you feel free to wait for whatever you need to wait for, im very comfortable with what i know.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. As credible as Forbes is, their lists of franchise valuations, and HRR estimates has been disputed by the league as being unfounded. Their estimate of wealthiest people have been way off (Wilbur Ross for example was estimated at 2.9 billion, but declared 700k when under oath) due to a flawed methodology. I'm pointing out that facts aren't really available, so while they may be the most comprehensive financial data we have, they aren't really all that reliable in the scheme of things. They are gossip for financial news.

Nobody should be saying Melnyk is poor, but there is certainly the possibility that his net worth is exaggerated, and there is certainly the possibility that his liquidity is putting him in a tight spot. I suspect claims that he's in some sort of financial crisis are exaggerated too, but I'm not going to discount the possibility he may be having issues.

no I completely understand the point you are trying to make. I just don't find it credible

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So tell me how Forbes gets its financial information about the NHL? That's not public information and the NHL is not giving it to Forbes. They can make estimates since there is some public information - attendance, ticket prices, broadcast deals, etc but even that data is problematic.

You believing that Forbes has the true picture of the NHL's financials is pretty much digging your head in the sand.

Wow. what can I say.

is there a more credible source of nhl finances that you'd like to point me to? or should I just accept what gets posted here... as being the true source of information

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
An owner in a stable financial state doesn't ensure a trade agreed to months before is dragged out for months to ensure they don't have to pay a 2 million dollar bonus, all the while giving up a 2nd round draft pick to ensure they didn't have to pay.

If he is in a stable financial spot and he still ensured this happened, that is a whole other bad story.

other than your own perception of this deal, which is biased by your feelings toward the man, do you have any credible sources that this is how the deal went down? someone other than NYR's version of our own credibility lacking beat writers

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't understand how anyone can still support Melynk at this stage.

dont mistake my posts in this thread for supporting Melnyk. I'm just trying to sort out fact from fiction wrt Melnyk's finances. Almost everything posted on hfsens regarding Melnyk's finances is fiction

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow. what can I say.

is there a more credible source of nhl finances that you'd like to point me to? or should I just accept what gets posted here... as being the true source of information
More credible, no. That doesn't make Forbes particularly credible though, they are providing an educated guess. It's a fluff article for them to draw in some revenue from people who wouldn't read a single article they write otherwise. It gives a general idea the landscape, but try and use it as a detailed map and you'll likely end up lost.

Reactions: ThePriorityDeal

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
other than your own perception of this deal, which is biased by your feelings toward the man, do you have any credible sources that this is how the deal went down? someone other than NYR's version of our own credibility lacking beat writers
The fact Dorian said they stalled it for a few days, then a few more days... "though the money never meant anything...." The deal was done on the draft floor June 25th, it just took another 20 days until his bonus kicked in for the trade to occur.

Of course he's not going to say we had to nickle and dime it, he's a GM that works directly for the owner.

Also, the way Dorian tries to spin that we got a 7th rounder back from the Rangers and that that pick may be better than the 2nd we gave up is painfully embarrassing.

Pierre Dorion Speaks: Acquiring Brassard, Trading Zibanejad

Here's one from a credibility lacking NYR beat writer Larry Brooks

https://nypost.com/2016/07/19/no-senators-didnt-fleece-rangers-they-were-just-cheap/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad