Ottawa and LA, only 2 teams remaining without a regulation loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This year's Kings team looks nothing like the one of the past few years. I have no idea what some of you are watching.

Thank you. Started to feel like I was taking crazy pills.

And to be fair that doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up better, but man, it's night and day in terms of pace.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've been saying for a few years now that Ottawa is a solid team and probably one of the better teams in the East. Boucher is the perfect coach for them. Nobody outside of EK is likely to wow you but they'll consistently play the right way. Guys like Stone and Hoffman are very, very underrated.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sorry guys, I was wrong. Apparently I'm imagining Kopitar walking off the wall, cross-crease passes instead of simply prolonged cycles followed by possession shots, and quick plays in transition. I guess the Kings' shots against are going up just because they're worse, not because they've loosened up. It's just confirmation bias from me, many of our fans, fans of the five teams we've played against, and John Stevens himself.

Seriously if you can't see an emphasis on quality chances rather than just raw possession for the sake of possession there's nothing anyone can do to help you understand.

I think that the fact that you and several other fans took such offense that you had to lash out at me supports my point. After all, being critiqued on what you believe is not nearly as infuriating as being critiqued on what you want to believe. I didn't mean any offense, but a suggestion that confirmation bias is going on is a relatively benign critique that shouldn't be taken so offensively unless there's something to it, IMO. Regardless, it wasn't so much a criticism as an observation. I don't think that the good start is as much because of Stevens as many want to believe. You're welcome to disagree, but I think that how you disagree reveals how relevant the observation is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think that the fact that you and several other fans took such offense that you had to lash out at me supports my point. After all, being critiqued on what you believe is not nearly as infuriating as being critiqued on what you want to believe. I didn't mean any offense, but a suggestion that confirmation bias is going on is a relatively benign critique that shouldn't be taken so offensively unless there's something to it, IMO. Regardless, it wasn't so much a criticism as an observation. I don't think that the good start is as much because of Stevens as many want to believe. You're welcome to disagree, but I think that how you disagree reveals how relevant the observation is.

Perhaps because your opinion is so far removed from the reality of the situation, people were compelled to set you straight?

Did you miss the analysis provided with cold hard facts that showed that the Kings of last season led the league in shots on goal from outside the perimeter? Did you miss the emphasis the coaches and management placed in getting shots from the middle of the ice? Are you even watching the games to notice this?

Your opinion could be disproved by facts, which renders your posts to be full of bias. Let’s face the facts, you aren’t necessarily objective.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I have confidence that as long as we make the playoffs and as long as Boucher's voice is heard in the dressing room we'll be a tough team to knock off. Now, that is not to be confused with me saying that they will advance far, just that we have enough characters, chemistry and belief in the coach/system that I don't think we're an easy 4 game sweep or five gamer for any team in the league.

And I say this because although the season is young, it's incredibly refreshing to see this type of hockey from the Ottawa Senators. Even in the brief McLean, and Hamburglar run moments you never got the sense that the team was forming an identity. People can deride Ottawa Senators, Guy Boucher, 1-3-1 hockey but it's refreshing as a fan to know what the philosophy and approach is for the team. And so far, in a season and change, to be having some measure of success with it.

It's early days still but Boucher as given me optimism in the future of the club that I haven't had in a long time. We don't have that superstar offensive talent (forward wise), but we can perhaps at our peak be a lite version of those old Devils teams that had a great team work ethic and won games by committee, with everyone contributing.

Reactions: bert

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Ha! That people strongly disagree with you is evidence you are right? Whereas if they agreed with you it would equally be evidence you are right. :rolleyes:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Perhaps because your opinion is so far removed from the reality of the situation, people were compelled to set you straight?

We're only five games into the season and you're so sure of the "reality of the situation" that you feel justified in setting people straight?

Let’s face the facts, you aren’t necessarily objective.

Let's face the fact that fans are the least objective ones around, so them calling out others for that is rather absurd.

Ha! That people strongly disagree with you is evidence you are right? Whereas if they agreed with you it would equally be evidence you are right. :rolleyes:

You didn't read what I said or you're intentionally spinning it. I said that how you disagree with someone can help indicate your degree of bias. Going on the attack is a reaction to feeling defensive, which is a symptom of being biased.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good start for Ottawa. I wonder if they will be able to sellout a home game this year?

Gotta love these high quality posts. I guess you are trying to suggest there has been other seasons Ottawa has not sold out a game? Which would be entirely false it takes very little research to look into this. Or you're just trying to take a jab at the fan base which has nothing to do with this thread. Either way the only two things that can be taken from this post is you either lack the intelligence to do a Google search. Or you're just a keyboard warrior that needs to hide behind an alias on the internet and needs to attempt to put others down to satisfy your low self esteem. Either way I feel sorry for you.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They haven't been winning because of goaltending, I mean its helped but they haven't been relying on it. Ottawa supposedly got caved in during their time in Alberta, well if you look at the advanced stats. While there is some score effects at play thats absolute domination right?

Watch the ES goals scored in these games from the time the opposition entered the Ottawa zone. I think my favourite goal so far this season is Hoffman's second in Edmonton. Edmonton holds the Ottawa zone after a face-off and had sustained pressure but the most they could get was a McDavid backhand from the slot where there are FOUR senators contest his shot. Play continues Ottawa gains the Edmonton zone rather easily, Burrows and Turris out work Larsson and Klefbom down low and Hoffman lets off a wrist shot from the slot with ONE Oiler making a weak play on Hoffman. That was a consistent theme Friday and Saturday night in Alberta
This is a fast 4 line checking team ...That also has very good depth on defense and in nets.Dont really get why we get the hate we do

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sens fans in here acting like they just won the cup. No one said they were a bad team, in fact what I read had them as a bubble team from almost everywhere. So far, this is still the case. Being outshot consistently and relying on loser points thus far. Two patterns that typically do not go well for consistently winning over an 82 game season. However, clearly they have a good enough team to win any game on any random day, like 95% of the league.

Won't even bother diving into last year, as they did get some favorable matchups in the playoffs, and do a good job of clogging up the neutral zone to stop fast teams. Unless people think Vegas is winning the presidents Trophy this year, maybe wait until Christmas to bust out the I told you so's.

Reactions: david999 and MJ65

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Sens fans in here acting like they just won the cup. No one said they were a bad team, in fact what I read had them as a bubble team from almost everywhere. So far, this is still the case. Being outshot consistently and relying on loser points thus far. Two patterns that typically do not go well for consistently winning over an 82 game season. However, clearly they have a good enough team to win any game on any random day, like 95% of the league.

Won't even bother diving into last year, as they did get some favorable matchups in the playoffs, and do a good job of clogging up the neutral zone to stop fast teams. Unless people think Vegas is winning the presidents Trophy this year, maybe wait until Christmas to bust out the I told you so's.

Funny - I just see people commenting on subject matter of this thread. Perhaps you can share the many posts where Sens fans are "acting like they just won the cup", but I don't see them. Seems like a massive over-reaction.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Ottawa's played 5 games and has been outshot once, by Edmonton. Overall, they have 171 shots for and 147 shots against, with the second best goal differential in the league.

I'd say one of the best goaltending tandems in the league supported by a top 5 team defense is exactly what's needed to win consistently.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens fans in here acting like they just won the cup.

The irony of this statement just blows my head open into a million pieces.

Won't even bother diving into last year, as they did get some favorable matchups in the playoffs, and do a good job of clogging up the neutral zone to stop fast teams.

The last time you guys played Boston, you had one of the biggest meltdowns in NHL playoff history.

But it's a favourable match-up now.

Win a playoff series or something please and you'll understand how difficult it can be.

Kamiccolo said:
Unless people think Vegas is winning the presidents Trophy this year, maybe wait until Christmas to bust out the I told you so's.

999999-622356535397.jpg

Reactions: SensontheRush

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
The irony of this statement just blows my head open into a million pieces.

Not sure I follow. Are you implying I think the Leafs have won the cup? As a matter of fact I've been preaching patience before going insane.

The last time you guys played Boston, you had one of the biggest meltdowns in NHL playoff history.

But it's a favourable match-up now.

Win a playoff series or something please and you'll understand how difficult it can be.

Yup, that series has a lot to do with this Leafs team. Might as well bring up the Leafs vs Sens series of the 2000's to prove the Leafs would beat the Sens if they met in the playoffs this year.

Again, no idea what you are talking about. No need to be so salty.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not sure I follow. Are you implying I think the Leafs have won the cup? As a matter of fact I've been preaching patience before going insane.

Yeah, and read my post in this very thread:

NyQuil said:
"I don't call the Sens contenders. They aren't. They're a bubble team with a torrid start. Until they prove otherwise.

I like to see more than a few games before I move a team up or down a "tier".

Too much is always made of the first games of the season because there is no other evidence to draw from."

Please point out all the posts where Senators fans have indicated that they won the Cup?

You're trying to sell a narrative for which there is very little evidence.

NyQuil said:
Yup, that series has a lot to do with this Leafs team. Might as well bring up the Leafs vs Sens series of the 2000's to prove the Leafs would beat the Sens if they met in the playoffs this year.

The point is that you are being awfully cavalier about a series win considering the Leafs haven't in a decade.

The playoffs are tough no matter who you are playing.

Your attempts to undermine what the Senators did last year aren't working.

Consider that one of the greatest moments in Leafs history was making it to Game 7 of the ECFs back in '93 with Doug Gilmour.

The Senators were even closer than that.

NyQuil said:
Again, no idea what you are talking about. No need to be so salty.

Sure you do. You're not fooling anyone.

If you're worried about people putting the cart before the horse, there is a very large fanbase that could use your advice far more than our gang down in Eastern Ontario.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think most Sens fans are a bit surprised that they've played as well as they have without Karlsson. But most believe the Sens are a rather solid 4 line team with good offensive depth, and came into this season with question marks on defense after losing Methot.

Ceci continues to improve, Claesson looks like the real deal. Even bottom pair Boro and Wideman have looked good, while Phaneuf continues to be a stablizing presence. Chabot looked great in the sheltered role he was given as a call up. And then there is Karlsson.

Defense looks good, and the team seems to be rolling like they did in the playoffs. I dunno, seems to me like a team that will be a bitch to play against all season and can go toe to toe with anyone.

Cup contender? Probably not at that status yet, but they're the kinda team that could make a good run. They did it last year after all. Although I'd like a little more scoring punch up front so guys liek Dzingle and Smith are on the third line where they belong.

Reactions: topshelf15 and MJ65

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, and read my post in this very thread:

Please point out all the posts where Senators fans have indicated that they won the Cup?

You're trying to sell a narrative for which there is very little evidence.

The point is that you are being awfully cavalier about a series win considering the Leafs haven't in a decade.

The playoffs are tough no matter who you are playing.

Your attempts to undermine what the Senators did last year aren't working.

Consider that one of the greatest moments in Leafs history was making it to Game 7 of the ECFs back in '93 with Doug Gilmour.

The Senators were even closer than that.

Sure you do. You're not fooling anyone.

If you're worried about people putting the cart before the horse, there is a very large fanbase that could use your advice far more than our gang down in Eastern Ontario.

Have you read this thread? A lot of Sens fans celebrating how they were right about being an elite team and all that. My point was that no one is under rating them, they are a bubble team and everything points to that.

Winning against arguably the two weakest teams in east to make the playoffs isn't something to point to. I get winning the cup is half luck of the opponents you draw, but IMO there is an equal chance the Leafs were in that same spot as the sens if the two teams switched spots (Only 3 point difference) or if the Leafs didn't lose the tie breaker to Boston.

No chance the Sens take out the Caps and then Pens.

Reactions: MJ65

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010

Fans of teams can certainly be biased. No doubt about that. But Anti-Fans (i.e., the haters of certain teams, ala Kings) are also biased. You haven't written a positive comment on the Kings in... forever. Your blind hate for the Kings does not make you an impartial observer.

We are at a stage of the season where small sample size applies, but we shall see at the end of the season who is right. So far, advantage: Kings fans.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Have you read this thread? A lot of Sens fans celebrating how they were right about being an elite team and all that. My point was that no one is under rating them, they are a bubble team and everything points to that.

Again, I don't see a lot of Sens fans saying much other than they are playing on par with how they played last year when they made the third round of the NHL playoffs and lost to the Cup champions in double OT in the seventh game.

With Karlsson out of the line-up, this is a positive.

Most people, including I imagine yourself, didn't give the Sens much of a chance in these early games with their Captain and talisman out.

Not only did they win those games, but quite handily in two of them, leading to the best goal differential in the East (at the time) and the best goals against per game in the entire NHL.

Now the media is falling over themselves to apologize for the early disrespect.

Sens fans think they've won the Cup? What kind of lazy hyperbole is this?

Winning against arguably the two weakest teams in east to make the playoffs isn't something to point to.

Again, you are criminally underestimating what it takes to win a series in the playoffs.

I get winning the cup is half luck of the opponents you draw, but IMO there is an equal chance the Leafs were in that same spot as the sens if the two teams switched spots (Only 3 point difference) or if the Leafs didn't lose the tie breaker to Boston.

I disagree, but it's conjecture so there is no hard evidence here one way or another.

No chance the Sens take out the Caps and then Pens.

I don't see why not.

The Sens took the Pens to seven games and they beat the Caps.

IMO the Sens had a better chance of beating the Caps than the Leafs.

Again, it's conjecture, but there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->