Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
On the positive side, the 67s executed very well in the 1st round series against Brantford and, even if for only 4 games, showed what they were capable of. Cameron put together a good game plan for that series, the players bought in, and were (at times) fairly dominant against a higher-seeded team.

Against Oshawa, the 67s played like they knew they were going to lose. Oshawa had too much talent, more size and physicality, and much better goaltending. The 67s were overmatched, simply put. In retrospect, the 67s played last year's Petes team much tighter than they played Oshawa this year, and I would say that last year's Petes team is better than this year's Generals team. So on a year-over-year basis there was regression in my view. Some of that is coaching, but a bigger part (imo) is talent on the ice and that's where we fell short this year. We can discuss line combinations, ice time deployments, and defense pairings until we're blue in the face but ultimately I don't think it would have mattered all that much. Maybe with some we could have won a game along the way, who knows.

Hopefully some lessons learned this post-season for the management team and coaching staff as they head into next season. I would suspect that there will be personnel changes, maybe expected, maybe not. At this point thought, I don't think the 67s are on the right trajectory. Perhaps time for time to think about a rebuild.

Lessons learned? I’m not sure that is part of the playbook in Ottawa.

Oshawa dominated Ottawa mostly because their top end talent was better and they concentrated that top end talent on two lines. They stuck their next best three on the 3rd line. Meanwhile, Ottawa spread its top 9 over four lines and took a balanced approach which allowed Oshawa’s top two lines to expose the weak link on each line. It was like playing their top two lines with 2.5 lines over and over again.

The assessment now needs to be on DC. Plain and simple. Is he the right guy? I know Tourigny is a high bar to match but I don’t think DC is even playing on the same playing field as Tourigny. As some have mentioned, the younger players didn’t develop this year (seemingly), they underperformed down the stretch, and players wanted out to start the season. He doesn’t’ seem to inspire a lot of loyalty. He was recently signed so he isn’t going anywhere but I am not sure of he is a rebuild kinda coach.

Roster next year? Korbler isn’t going anywhere. With DC’s seeming love affair with him on the ice, CLEARLY he is viewed as a key component of next year’s club. So, you can plug him into the #1 or #2 RW position on the depth chart. Rumours are Uronen will be back as well so he’s likely the other #1 or #2 RW. Don’t look at Ottawa to make an Import pick this coming draft. I think we will see Gerrior and MacK back as the two key OA’s that stick the entire season. I’m not sure who will be the other one.

They will enter the season leaning toward a sell-off. First, they have some housecleaning to do with the extra OA’s. The rest will happen at the deadline when they are a bit back in the pack. They will need to make a decision on Pinelli IMO. They align behind Brantford, Brampton, Oshawa, and potentially Barrie and Kingston going into the season. Each of those top three have all publicly stated next year is their push year. Each of them will likely be aggressive. Akey returns to Barrie after missing the year with injury. Mann will likely make some personnel changes in Kingston through the offseason and mould his team. If it works as planned, Kingston will be solid. Sudbury is a wildcard. They look to return a lot of their scoring up front, but they could end up as a seller depending on what returns around them. I see Ottawa (with no additions) as a 7th place team with a ceiling around 5th if a couple of the teams come out flat. North bay will sell and the Petes still need another year. I put them outside the playoffs as an early prediction.

Time for Ottawa to do a measured selloff of the extra OA’s to start the season and Pinelli at the deadline. I think that’s is all they need to do. No need to cut deeper. Bottoming out isn’t necessary, nor advisable. They will make the playoffs, maybe win a game and kee the train moving.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pinelli - Gardiner - Korbler
Gerrior(OA) - Dever - Uronen
Foster - Whitehead - Horner
Barlas - Amidovski - Kelly
Extra LW’s - Hilton, Houben, Yanni

Mayich/Sirman (OA) - Mews
Marrelli - Brady
Dietsch - Eshkawkogan

Mack (OA)
Nelson

That is a lot of 3rd and 4th line calibre players on the forward group. Three relative rookies on defence.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019

Marrelli - Brady
Dietsch - Eshkawkogan

Mack (OA)
Nelson

That is a lot of 3rd and 4th line calibre players on the forward group. Three relative rookies on defence.
I'd be surprised if Gardiner and Mayich were part of the discussion to start the season. Both should yield a good return.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Lessons learned? I’m not sure that is part of the playbook in Ottawa.

Oshawa dominated Ottawa mostly because their top end talent was better and they concentrated that top end talent on two lines. They stuck their next best three on the 3rd line. Meanwhile, Ottawa spread its top 9 over four lines and took a balanced approach which allowed Oshawa’s top two lines to expose the weak link on each line. It was like playing their top two lines with 2.5 lines over and over again.

The assessment now needs to be on DC. Plain and simple. Is he the right guy? I know Tourigny is a high bar to match but I don’t think DC is even playing on the same playing field as Tourigny. As some have mentioned, the younger players didn’t develop this year (seemingly), they underperformed down the stretch, and players wanted out to start the season. He doesn’t’ seem to inspire a lot of loyalty. He was recently signed so he isn’t going anywhere but I am not sure of he is a rebuild kinda coach.

Roster next year? Korbler isn’t going anywhere. With DC’s seeming love affair with him on the ice, CLEARLY he is viewed as a key component of next year’s club. So, you can plug him into the #1 or #2 RW position on the depth chart. Rumours are Uronen will be back as well so he’s likely the other #1 or #2 RW. Don’t look at Ottawa to make an Import pick this coming draft. I think we will see Gerrior and MacK back as the two key OA’s that stick the entire season. I’m not sure who will be the other one.

They will enter the season leaning toward a sell-off. First, they have some housecleaning to do with the extra OA’s. The rest will happen at the deadline when they are a bit back in the pack. They will need to make a decision on Pinelli IMO. They align behind Brantford, Brampton, Oshawa, and potentially Barrie and Kingston going into the season. Each of those top three have all publicly stated next year is their push year. Each of them will likely be aggressive. Akey returns to Barrie after missing the year with injury. Mann will likely make some personnel changes in Kingston through the offseason and mould his team. If it works as planned, Kingston will be solid. Sudbury is a wildcard. They look to return a lot of their scoring up front, but they could end up as a seller depending on what returns around them. I see Ottawa (with no additions) as a 7th place team with a ceiling around 5th if a couple of the teams come out flat. North bay will sell and the Petes still need another year. I put them outside the playoffs as an early prediction.

Time for Ottawa to do a measured selloff of the extra OA’s to start the season and Pinelli at the deadline. I think that’s is all they need to do. No need to cut deeper. Bottoming out isn’t necessary, nor advisable. They will make the playoffs, maybe win a game and kee the train moving.

Cameron certainly got outcoached in this series, but even if he had done what Oshawa had done and stacked the top 2 lines, I feel like we would still come up short as the quality of size + talent doesn't nearly measure up to what Oshawa has.

Ritchie - late 1st round pick
Sennecke - likely pick in the top half of 1st round
Roobroeck - undrafted, but we all know the quality of player he is

Average size of Oshawa's 1st line is likely 6'4", ~215 lbs.

Kumpulainen - 2nd round pick; 6'2", ~200 lbs.
Lockhart - unsigned OA with championship pedigree
Rolofs - undrafted/unsigned OA

For argument's sake if Cameron put Pinelli and, say, Foster on Kressler's wing, the skill level would be closer but the size mismatch would remain. Oshawa's 2nd line would also have a skill/size/experience mismatch against, say, Maillet between Stonehouse and Gerrior.

In my view the issue is 67% skill/size, 33% coaching. The skill/size issue that has been prevalent for several years now is on Boyd.

In terms of coaching, others have pointed out the lack of development which I agree with, and not finding the right line combo's or d pairings. Key players like Stonehouse and Gardiner (Mews to a certain extent) underperformed for much of the year. Obviously not having Mayich for games 1 + 2 was hugely detrimental, but imo that is part of discipline and leads back to coaching. As do the 7 consecutive penalties in game 3 (some of which were completely unnecessary). I agree that an assessment needs to be done of Cameron and whether he is the "right" coach to lead this team forward, but I don't think he was really given a lot to work with here. The 67s were significantly outmatched by a bigger and better team. Oshawa had an import contributing highly productive and impactful minutes as a #2 centre that fit the mold of the team (big and skilled). One of ours was injured (bad break), the other an undersized winger that didn't really find a way to contribute despite being given ample opportunity to do so.

Would Boyd do the Lawrence (+ picks) for Maillet "swap" again? I sure wouldn't. Our imports didn't really contribute. Oshawa got Punnett and Lockhart for a song, while we paid up for our OAs but left issues (scoring from the wing and depth on D) un-addressed. The management of this team just simply needs to be better.

Marrelli - Brady
Dietsch - Eshkawkogan

Mack (OA)
Nelson

Looks like we need to make room for Yanni (definitely) and Houben and/or Hilton. I tell you what, Hilton got filled in by Roobroeck but you have to give the kid props for immediately stepping in there against a good fighter. I'd be happy to have him skate on our 4th line in a heartbeat.

Those current 4th line wingers (9 and 28) certainly look expendable at this point.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Cameron certainly got outcoached in this series, but even if he had done what Oshawa had done and stacked the top 2 lines, I feel like we would still come up short as the quality of size + talent doesn't nearly measure up to what Oshawa has.

Ritchie - late 1st round pick
Sennecke - likely pick in the top half of 1st round
Roobroeck - undrafted, but we all know the quality of player he is

Average size of Oshawa's 1st line is likely 6'4", ~215 lbs.

Kumpulainen - 2nd round pick; 6'2", ~200 lbs.
Lockhart - unsigned OA with championship pedigree
Rolofs - undrafted/unsigned OA

For argument's sake if Cameron put Pinelli and, say, Foster on Kressler's wing, the skill level would be closer but the size mismatch would remain. Oshawa's 2nd line would also have a skill/size/experience mismatch against, say, Maillet between Stonehouse and Gerrior.

In my view the issue is 67% skill/size, 33% coaching. The skill/size issue that has been prevalent for several years now is on Boyd.

In terms of coaching, others have pointed out the lack of development which I agree with, and not finding the right line combo's or d pairings. Key players like Stonehouse and Gardiner (Mews to a certain extent) underperformed for much of the year. Obviously not having Mayich for games 1 + 2 was hugely detrimental, but imo that is part of discipline and leads back to coaching. As do the 7 consecutive penalties in game 3 (some of which were completely unnecessary). I agree that an assessment needs to be done of Cameron and whether he is the "right" coach to lead this team forward, but I don't think he was really given a lot to work with here. The 67s were significantly outmatched by a bigger and better team. Oshawa had an import contributing highly productive and impactful minutes as a #2 centre that fit the mold of the team (big and skilled). One of ours was injured (bad break), the other an undersized winger that didn't really find a way to contribute despite being given ample opportunity to do so.

Would Boyd do the Lawrence (+ picks) for Maillet "swap" again? I sure wouldn't. Our imports didn't really contribute. Oshawa got Punnett and Lockhart for a song, while we paid up for our OAs but left issues (scoring from the wing and depth on D) un-addressed. The management of this team just simply needs to be better.

Looks like we need to make room for Yanni (definitely) and Houben and/or Hilton. I tell you what, Hilton got filled in by Roobroeck but you have to give the kid props for immediately stepping in there against a good fighter. I'd be happy to have him skate on our 4th line in a heartbeat.

Those current 4th line wingers (9 and 28) certainly look expendable at this point.
He buried two NHL drafted (1 signed) forwards on the 3rd and 4th line for the entire series (most of the playoffs) while Korbler and Gerrior produced nothing. Maybe Stonehouse and Gardiner do nothing but that has to be tested, those players are in their positions for a reason and sometimes I get the sense DC tries to be smarter than the game.

All I can say about the Roobroeck/Hilton fight was where was Smyth? these are things that the veteran players are suppose to take care of, not a 2nd year player playing his only game of the playoffs.

Reactions: OMG67

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
He buried two NHL drafted (1 signed) forwards on the 3rd and 4th line for the entire series (most of the playoffs) while Korbler and Gerrior produced nothing. Maybe Stonehouse and Gardiner do nothing but that has to be tested, those players are in their positions for a reason and sometimes I get the sense DC tries to be smarter than the game.

All I can say about the Roobroeck/Hilton fight was where was Smyth? these are things that the veteran players are suppose to take care of, not a 2nd year player playing his only game of the playoffs.

I think Gardiner was playing injured, but that's kind of beside the point and I agree. Neither Gardiner nor Stonehouse had strong years or met expectations in the regular season or playoffs. Neither was really given an opportunity in the top-6 in the playoffs. Not giving Stonehouse a look with Kressler is inexcusable imo. Maybe there is something more under the surface there. My opinion is that Cameron should take ~1/3 of the "blame" (for lack of a better word), Boyd ~2/3.

In fairness, I do believe Cameron developed a very strong game plan to deal with Brantford. I have to give him credit for that.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It was a very disappointing end of the season. Ottawa lacked the high end talent of a true contender and as mentioned by others, seemingly overpaid each of the past two years for overagers, especially when comparable players went for significantly less.

For Jacob Maillet, the 67’s gave up 1x 2, 2x3 and 1x5. Kanata native Connor Lockhart went for a 3rd and 5th. Lockhart has 52 points in 45 games for the Gens and Maillet had 26 points in 32 games. The Gens get a better producer and keep 1x2 and 1x3.

The overager trade compensation difference between the two teams is stunning.
Oshawa gave up 2 x3’s, a fifth and a sixth for Lockhart and Punnett.
The 67’s gave up 3 2nds, 5 3rds and two fifths for Maillet, Kessler and Mayer.
In total Ottawa gave up 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds more. That haul would have been enough to acquire Sam Dickinson as a defected player last year.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd be surprised if Gardiner and Mayich were part of the discussion to start the season. Both should yield a good return.
Are you suggesting Gardiner would request a trade (similar to Beck this season)? I could see there being a possibility of that, with him or another player in a similar situation.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Are you suggesting Gardiner would request a trade (similar to Beck this season)? I could see there being a possibility of that, with him or another player in a similar situation.
I'm saying NHL drafted players and their affiliated clubs have certain expectations for how these players will be developed. When that doesn't happen things have to change.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It was a very disappointing end of the season. Ottawa lacked the high end talent of a true contender and as mentioned by others, seemingly overpaid each of the past two years for overagers, especially when comparable players went for significantly less.

For Jacob Maillet, the 67’s gave up 1x 2, 2x3 and 1x5. Kanata native Connor Lockhart went for a 3rd and 5th. Lockhart has 52 points in 45 games for the Gens and Maillet had 26 points in 32 games. The Gens get a better producer and keep 1x2 and 1x3.

The overager trade compensation difference between the two teams is stunning.
Oshawa gave up 2 x3’s, a fifth and a sixth for Lockhart and Punnett.
The 67’s gave up 3 2nds, 5 3rds and two fifths for Maillet, Kessler and Mayer.
In total Ottawa gave up 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds more. That haul would have been enough to acquire Sam Dickinson as a defected player last year.

I think there is the missing component that we needed centres and PP-QB D-Man as the three priorities. We could have gotten some of those players you identified but without the centres, it wouldn’t hav made much difference.

Regarding Punnett, I agree wholeheartedly but I have a sense that maybe Barrie held on to him a little too long and Oshawa swooped in at the end of the deadline and got him cheaper than he was originally available for. Teams not in as much “need” can luck into that now and then.

Regarding the Lockhart trade value, that is what can happen when a GM acknowledges he has a spot available and is willing to fill it early as opposed to waiting for the perfect fit at the deadline. Ottawa needs to do more of that. I think some may end up surprised how weak the OA trade market will be at the start of the season.

All of this is why I feel the 67’s need to enter next year with a plan of selling. Keep four OA’s as long as possible to maximize the trade value. One luxury of having a goalie OA is you can sit him when he doesn’t start and play one of the other guys.

The overall value Boyd paid was in line with other deals when you REFUSE to trade a body in a trade package. If I am going to be super critical of Boyd, it is looking at the returning lineup and all those LW, the misuse of Barlas and wonder if trading him as an 18 year old and opening a spot for someone else would have been a better plan. No we have a log jam entering next season and seemingly misuse of talent by the coach. The two combined seems a glaring error.

I'm saying NHL drafted players and their affiliated clubs have certain expectations for how these players will be developed. When that doesn't happen things have to change.

I honestly feel the same way. I am not aware of how deep that injury was. That is the only thing holding me back from assuming there will be a trade demand there.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
80/20 he returns to Oshawa. He was inly drafted last year so New York isn't in a rush to sign him and lose his rights.

The primary core of the Generals return next year provided they don’t have an unexpected graduation. Ritchie may stick with Colorado for 10 games and maybe the first half through the WJHC depending how they want to distribute his 10 games. Other than that, I don’t see any major disruptions.

Mississauga/Brampton return all key players from this years roster. Not one key player outside of Sharpe graduates. Sharpe will be easy to replace with an OA.

Brantford will need a goalie and will have some OA decisions to make but they should be in very good shape too.

The early top 3 candidates next season in the Eastern Conference all look very very good. There is strong potential all three of those teams reach 95-100 points.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Gardiner was playing injured,
Gardiner had a bad shoulder - poor kid was basically playing with one arm. In the NHL they would have shot him full of cortisone and pain killers, but I don't think they do that at this level anymore, (probably for the best) so he couldn't do a thing out there...

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Gardiner had a bad shoulder - poor kid was basically playing with one arm. In the NHL they would have shot him full of cortisone and pain killers, but I don't think they do that at this level anymore, (probably for the best) so he couldn't do a thing out there...
My understanding is that injury happened in the 2nd game of the Brantford series, the issues with his playing time and position in the lineup were escalated after the deadline when he was demoted to the 3rd/4th line and never really got a chance to play with the better players despite the issues they were having with scoring.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My understanding is that injury happened in the 2nd game of the Brantford series, the issues with his playing time and position in the lineup were escalated after the deadline when he was demoted to the 3rd/4th line and never really got a chance to play with the better players despite the issues they were having with scoring.
You're right in that the injury is only part of it - overall he had a disappointing year for a kid who was a third round NHL pick. Cameron demoted him late in the year because he frankly had players who deserved the ice time and opportunities more than he did.

Gardiner isn't the first kid to ever have a tough season and he won't be the last - the question is what he does about it. What he should do about it is train like a beast this summer, show up to camp in great shape, and go put up big numbers playing plenty of top six and PP1 minutes in the OHL. That will earn him an NHL contract...

Reactions: Hinterland

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You're right in that the injury is only part of it - overall he had a disappointing year for a kid who was a third round NHL pick. Cameron demoted him late in the year because he frankly had players who deserved the ice time and opportunities more than he did.

Gardiner isn't the first kid to ever have a tough season and he won't be the last - the question is what he does about it. What he should do about it is train like a beast this summer, show up to camp in great shape, and go put up big numbers playing plenty of top six and PP1 minutes in the OHL. That will earn him an NHL contract...

Sorry. I call bull shit on that. Korbler playing RW ahead of Gardiner isn’t a situation of deserving ice time.

No offence meant to Korbler either. He’s a 17 year old rookie that’s somewhat undersized. I have always rated players based on expectations so this isn’t a situation where he disappointed. He played as expected!

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sorry. I call bull shit on that. Korbler playing RW ahead of Gardiner isn’t a situation of deserving ice time.

No offence meant to Korbler either. He’s a 17 year old rookie that’s somewhat undersized. I have always rated players based on expectations so this isn’t a situation where he disappointed. He played as expected!
Was that maybe the coach sending a message? I don't know the internal dynamics, but Cameron strikes me as the kind of coach who wouldn't hesitate to send a wake up call to a player who he thinks needs it. I don't think flipping that changes much either - we were clearly several exits short of being able to stay with the Generals...

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019

This may have been acceptable if the team was scoring goals and winning games, the problem is they weren't and he wasn't given a sniff of opportunity in the top 6 post deadline or playoffs to prove anything, the stats suffered as a result which will not be acceptable. Sometimes change of scenery is necessary for the player.

Was that maybe the coach sending a message? I don't know the internal dynamics, but Cameron strikes me as the kind of coach who wouldn't hesitate to send a wake up call to a player who he thinks needs it. I don't think flipping that changes much either - we were clearly several exits short of being able to stay with the Generals...
That may be part of the problem, if Cameron is more interested in sending a message then coaching.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Message sending is part of coaching, though. You can't keep rewarding a kid for not doing what he has been asked or not buying into team goals and concepts. Dave Cameron has been a very successful coach at many different levels for decades - say what you will about him, but he is a teacher first and foremost. He's not there to coddle an 18 year old kid - he's there to push that kid to be his very best and to be coachable. I'm on Team Cameron on this one...

Reactions: Hinterland

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Message sending is part of coaching, though. You can't keep rewarding a kid for not doing what he has been asked or not buying into team goals and concepts. Dave Cameron has been a very successful coach at many different levels for decades - say what you will about him, but he is a teacher first and foremost. He's not there to coddle an 18 year old kid - he's there to push that kid to be his very best and to be coachable. I'm on Team Cameron on this one...

A coach can and should send a message over the course of a couple of games from time to time, but I don't believe Gardiner played any higher than #3C post-deadline, even when the 67s were really struggling to score at times. If there was a message sent, there was really no opportunity given to Gardiner to prove himself or show that he received the message. There was ample opportunity to try him on the wing in the top-6.

I'll give Cameron a pass on Gardiner's playoff usage at #4C as he was clearly injured (though, perhaps both team and player would have been better off if he wasn't dressed in the first place if he was injured to the extent we think he was).

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Here's last nights ice time for Ottawa:
1713547147065.png

Oshawa:
4th line played 2 shifts the whole game.
1713547104138.png

Attachments

• 1713547049875.png
    1713547049875.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 2

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
If that is the opinion of the coach then there should be no issues with moving on from him for the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad