Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
4th lines don't matter, eh...should have played Whitehead and, most importantly, Yanni. Somebody said it a few times already...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Oshawa’s 4th line gets a regular shift in the 1st period, less time in the 2nd period and then doesn’t see the ice in the 3rd period.

Unless it’s a blow out like Game 2 - - pretty sure the 4th line never came off the ice for the last 3mins of the game.

I haven;t seen the 4th line on the ice tonight and don’t remember them much in Game 3 either.

4th lines don't matter, eh...should have played Whitehead and, most importantly, Yanni. Somebody said it a few times already...

Until they are on the ice for a goal against to go down 2-1….
Take a page out of the Oshawa playbook. Concentrate your scoring on two lines and staple the 4th line to the bench.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I liked Mews this series but that attempted pass at the offensive blueline probably wasn't the best idea he ever had...especially considering who he was on the ice against.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I haven;t seen the 4th line on the ice tonight and don’t remember them much in Game 3 either.

Oshawa’s 4th line definitely took a few shifts in the 1st period - - just look for the kid with the cage, #12 Franssen. They didn’t see the ice in the 2nd period though.

Watching the Ottawa broadcast on Rogers and the announcer proclaimed that Oshawa was only using two forward lines and two defensive pairings late in the 2nd period.

And then their 3rd line promptly came out and made it 4-1.

Reactions: Hinterland

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
@ScoutLife4 can you add the TOI stat line for Delisle, Graham, and Franssen for this series, more specifically game 3?
1713488568538.png

Here ya go

Also heres Ottawa's third game stats
1713488671922.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lol. That's a long suspension in any league. You can't crosscheck your opponent straight into the face. Yet these refs don't even call a penalty. What the heck.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1-5 en goal disallowed due to a HS pen

say good night

Last edited:

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Just saw the score in passing. Lol. Pretty disgraceful TBH. Fitting now that a team that nobody really gives a shit anymore becomes the first 67's squad to ever be swept by the Generals. Losers!

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Thanks. I don’t think the Oshawa 4th line was on the ice for one shift tonight.

TOI is somewhat similar but shifts wasn’t close. Twice the number of shifts for the 4th line of Ottawa.

They didn’t play much after the first period, but I can absolutely assure you that Oshawa’s 4th line had at least two or three shifts in the first period.

Actually had some good forechecking in the offensive zone during one shift.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's lose 4-1

SCORING
Teams1st2nd3rdT
OSH1304
OTT1001
SHOTS ON GOAL
Teams1st2nd3rdTotal
OSH714324
OTT914932

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
Oshawa beat the 67s totally: outscored, outhit, outskated, even out-penaltied. So be it. Time to clean house.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
DC loads up the first line and they managed to get a ton of pressure the entire period after killing off the 4 minute minor. If only he was able to do that earlier….. yet keeps Gerrior ont he 3rd line in favour of Korbler on the 2nd line…. I guess we know what Korbler’s fate is for next year. With his ice time in the playoffs, he will play 24 minutes per game as the #1 RW next season.

Time to look at next year…

Reactions: bobber

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Oshawa was the better team. Not by much. Just a bit smarter, less individual mistakes. Gotta hand it to them, they played well. I think they're gonna have to do without Roobroeck for a while though. He lost his cool there. No excuse for a deliberate cross check to the face. The fact that it didn't get called was a scandal but it's gonna get looked at now.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Fitting end to a disappointing 2nd half. This team never truly gelled post deadline. I also really question Cameron's performance. I have no clue if he lost the room to a degree or not but his hockey decisions in terms of lines, icetime to certain players and ability to adapt in a timely fashion left much to be desired imo.

Ths brass also needs to adapt their approach in team construction. The reality is the refs call the games differently i ths playoffs...always have. They let a lot more interference holding etc pass which advantages the bigger teams. After two years in a row Boyd/Egert have to change strategy a bit.

Fibally kudos to Oshawa, they were the better team

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Oshawa was the better team. Not by much. Just a bit smarter, less individual mistakes. Gotta hand it to them, they played well. I think they're gonna have to do without Roobroeck for a while though. He lost his cool there. No excuse for a deliberate cross check to the face. The fact that it didn't get called was a scandal but it's gonna get looked at now.

Not sure what you were watching because Oshawa was by far the superior team just as the 4-0 series result would indicate.

There wasn’t even one single aspect where you could make an argument that Ottawa was the better team.

Oshawa was by far the more physically dominant team, infinitely better goaltending, better power play, better penalty kill, better offensively and much better defensively. Even Chuck Hilton’s ill-advised attempt to try and fight Roobroeck was a one sided mismatch.

Unbelievable how brutal Ottawa’s defense was this series. Gave up two more odd man rush goals again tonight.

Regarding the cross check from Roobroeck - - was it any worse than Pinelli running Danford from behind face first into the glass at the end of the game? Based on the television replay, it was impossible to see if Roobroeck’s stick actually made contact with Kressler’s face or if it was just his glove. Of course Kressler tried as hard as he could to sell it with his stop, drop and roll then lying motionless on the ice, but I can’t fathom that Roobroeck gets suspended for it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Two right shots on one line what day & age does that matter anymore? have you not watched this year it’s been like that most of the season guys playing the off wing, a lot of teams do that now some players are actually more comfortable on their off wing it’s like that in most leagues.

Leadership on D is added at or near the deadline bring in a couple 05’s with trading some younger guys like Kelly & draft pics to do that is easy enough

NHL teams want players playing in the CHL so Uronen not coming back will likely push Vegas to not be interested in him. I think he wants another year in the CHL to prove him self, look at Vinny last year he left the OHL & Montreal wants nothing to do with him anymore not even an invite to there camp this passed season, Uronen coming back & being seen around the rink these playoffs tells me he will be back in Ottawa next season or else he wouldn’t of came back to watch playoffs after his surgery.

Ottawa will be competitive and not completely sell off everything and will be a middle of the pack team next year & not rebuild. You heard it here first
There is a reason that you have players who play RW and Left-wing and that putting an LD on the Right is hard to do. It is all about the shot and the way they play.

Leadership this year on the D is going to be important. If we are dressing 3 rookies, then we need players to play with them that can cover for them and help them. If Mayich has a good year then we wil still get the same picks for him at the deadline

I am not sure what you have been watching, but the NHL is now taking players from the BCHL, USHL and European leagues. NHL teams now have scouts in Europe to work with players. Uronen was a late pick so the best he will get is a chance at the AHL or ECHL. Coming back here where he will lplay with a crap line on a team that is rebuilding versus playing ON HIFK in Liga and practicing with the national team

Personally, I put Uronen and your thinking he will be back category at the Fronts fans thinking that Peinei is going to come back to Kingston next year. NFL

Ottawa will not be competitive next year. We are going to be starting a season with only 1.5 centers, 1 goal scorer, and an unknown due to injury in a goaltender and no second-line scoring.

We will have 3 defencemen and some rookies and helpers.

Oshawa loses 3 OA players.
Mississauga loses 3 OA and returns probably the best 1-2 tandem in the league
Barrie loses their 3 OA
Branford loses 3 OA
Niagara has the same coach returning, as well as most of their team a year older and knowing the Boudreau system.
Kingston will probably have one of the best first lines and will definitely be more competitive than Hell, which has four centers.
Sudbury will be a competitive team and should be fighting with Mississauga.
North Bay I think will rebuild
Petes should be a better team and will be competing for the playoffs.

The bottom line is that I think this will be a team that makes the playoffs and will be at best. It makes no sense to make trades to improve the on-ice product what we need to do is trade assets line Pinelli, Mayich and depending on Nelso MacK

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
There is a reason that you have players who play RW and Left-wing and that putting an LD on the Right is hard to do. It is all about the shot and the way they play.

Leadership this year on the D is going to be important. If we are dressing 3 rookies, then we need players to play with them that can cover for them and help them. If Mayich has a good year then we wil still get the same picks for him at the deadline

I am not sure what you have been watching, but the NHL is now taking players from the BCHL, USHL and European leagues. NHL teams now have scouts in Europe to work with players. Uronen was a late pick so the best he will get is a chance at the AHL or ECHL. Coming back here where he will lplay with a crap line on a team that is rebuilding versus playing ON HIFK in Liga and practicing with the national team

Personally, I put Uronen and your thinking he will be back category at the Fronts fans thinking that Peinei is going to come back to Kingston next year. NFL

Ottawa will not be competitive next year. We are going to be starting a season with only 1.5 centers, 1 goal scorer, and an unknown due to injury in a goaltender and no second-line scoring.

Barrie loses their 3 OA
Branford loses 3 OA
Niagara has the same coach returning, as well as most of their team a year older and knowing the Boudreau system.
Kingston will probably have one of the best first lines and will definitely be more competitive than Hell, which has four centers.

The bottom line is that I think this will be a team that makes the playoffs and will be at best. It makes no sense to make trades to improve the on-ice product what we need to do is trade assets line Pinelli, Mayich and depending on Nelso MacK
BRant, Missy, Osh, Barrie - contenders- maybe Kingston (but something not right there), Niagara (who knows), Sudbury - players will want out - if coach back, NB rebuild, Petes - young but who knows Ott - two years out in 2nd round - doesnt change style to adapt to other teams

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
All of this talk about who will go and who will stay is enlightening. I think that the coming off-season could be turbulent. Will other players ask for a trade? How will the team handle next year's goaltending situation? Will London come knocking?

Above all, for me, is the question of whether or not this head coach can deliver on a rebuild. I have seen no indication that that is the case. Swept out in 2022, upset in 2023 in six, swept out again in 2024. Our rookies sat out the playoffs pretty much, except for Körbler.

Hilton, Whitehead, Yanni, Brady, Dietsch dressed for a total of 11 games between them in the 10 games of playoffs, amassing 0 points and a combined -4. Player development in that group was pretty much nonexistent.

Next year could be absolutely brutal. And yet, there I will be, in the stands, pissing and moaning about what is or is not happening on the ice, FML.

Once again, the OHL Brain Trust graced us with their presence having already mailed it in.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

yacky

Jun 28, 2018

Barrie loses their 3 OA
Branford loses 3 OA

north bay can retool and be competitive i beleive

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Just saw the score in passing. Lol. Pretty disgraceful TBH. Fitting now that a team that nobody really gives a shit anymore becomes the first 67's squad to ever be swept by the Generals. Losers!
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
On the positive side, the 67s executed very well in the 1st round series against Brantford and, even if for only 4 games, showed what they were capable of. Cameron put together a good game plan for that series, the players bought in, and were (at times) fairly dominant against a higher-seeded team.

Against Oshawa, the 67s played like they knew they were going to lose. Oshawa had too much talent, more size and physicality, and much better goaltending. The 67s were overmatched, simply put. In retrospect, the 67s played last year's Petes team much tighter than they played Oshawa this year, and I would say that last year's Petes team is better than this year's Generals team. So on a year-over-year basis there was regression in my view. Some of that is coaching, but a bigger part (imo) is talent on the ice and that's where we fell short this year. We can discuss line combinations, ice time deployments, and defense pairings until we're blue in the face but ultimately I don't think it would have mattered all that much. Maybe with some we could have won a game along the way, who knows.

Hopefully some lessons learned this post-season for the management team and coaching staff as they head into next season. I would suspect that there will be personnel changes, maybe expected, maybe not. At this point thought, I don't think the 67s are on the right trajectory. Perhaps time for time to think about a rebuild.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't blame Cameron for this at all. I just think he got saddled with a roster that featured some key players who underachieved on him. I can't tell you how disappointed I have been with Stonehouse's season - that's a player who should have taken the next step once he signed a pro contract, and instead drops from 37 goals to 20. He had one goal in these ten playoff games - one. That's your veteran leader? If you want to win in the playoffs your best guys have to be your best guys, and in that instance it definitely didn't happen. I was also expecting more from 8,11 and 25 this season overall, and I wasn't expecting our starting goalie to be spending so much time on the boo-boo list. None of that is Cameron's fault.

The good news is that development is rarely linear, and I believe that Mews, Marrelli and Gardiner are poised to have huge bounce back and growth seasons in 24-25. Mackenzie might be also, but given how this season went the club may need to think long and hard about how they handle the goaltending situation going forward. If you are going to spend an overage spot on a goalie, you had better be sure that he can be "the guy". Otherwise, there are plenty of other options for overage players.

Overall, I'm actually more optimistic about next season than others. I see a pretty well balanced roster and some players poised for huge growth. This roster ended up being less than the sum of its parts, but I think next year's will have better balance and chemistry. I could see us at least staying close to the Steelheads (or whatever they might call themselves going forward) for the top of the division...

Reactions: NordiquesForeva
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad