Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Michelone is 12-3-2 with Ottawa. I don’t think he has been “the” problem. He may not be the solution, but he isn’t the problem. We had ONE centre. We needed two new centres. So, you wouldn’t sub out Maillet. You’d sub out Mayer.
You guys have some of the best defence in the league. Even our backup would be successful with your defence lol and the guy is borderline ohl.

It’s like with Devin Williams on Erie years back lol he won a bunch of games but it was the team winning those games- he didn’t have to do too much.

Could’ve gotten role players to play centre for the same price or less while still acquiring Mayer for better defence while keeping donoso for a reliable goalie

Do we have a second round pick

Loooking strictly at needs I see

Amidovski barrie C

Michael Lee RD

Would be our best choices although sure Lee will be on he board as there are not a lot of RD in the first round
Amidovski in lists I’ve seen is projected top 10. 40 goals in 33 games is very impressive no matter how talented the team is as a whole

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You guys have some of the best defence in the league. Even our backup would be successful with your defence lol and the guy is borderline ohl.

It’s like with Devin Williams on Erie years back lol he won a bunch of games but it was the team winning those games- he didn’t have to do too much.

Could’ve gotten role players to play centre for the same price or less while still acquiring Mayer for better defence while keeping donoso for a reliable goalie

Amidovski in lists I’ve seen is projected top 10. 40 goals in 33 games is very impressive no matter how talented the team is as a whole

That was definitely an option but we “assume” MacK was not going to share the net and keeping a viable OA goalie isn’t a great use of asset allocation. Why not spend a 12th round pick on a viable backup and open an OA spot for a player that can make an impact. Not many (if ever) has there been a contending team keep an OA goalie as a backup and waste a valuable roster spot.

I agree they could have filled the 3rd centre spot with an average guy. To be honest, if it were me and that guy were available at a reasonable price, I would have added Kressler, Mayer, and Punnett as the OA’s. I’d have tried to pull off a deal for Flores for something like a 5th round pick for a little more stability. Then I would have done what you suggest and added an 18 or 19 year old 40-50’ish point defensive centre and a big winger. But, that plan still doesn’t include Donoso.

Again, if MacK isn’t the starter, I don’t think it matters. We aren’t winning. Part of the positives for Ottawa is when MacK is on his game. When he is hot, he is a top 3 goalie in the league. he can win games for weeks by himself. Unfortunately, since he returned from injury he has been average by his standards. We have to hope he returns and finds a hot streak.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If he wasn’t happy with his role or development in Ottawa, would he say that publicly?

I’m not saying he lied at all. I am saying that there have been a handful of issues that the team has faced this year that in their cumulative entirety make them all now questionable. Each individual incident can easily be explained away quite innocently but when so many of these have popped up this season, you start to wonder whether these are jsut single issolated incidents or whether there is something bigger going on behind the scenes.

To be clear, I don’t know any of this as fact at all. It is simply just a question I have based on what I am seeing.

One of the reasons he gave in interviews for ultimately signing with the Lions was competition. He said that with the Lions there's more competition for spots and he wanted to challenge himself to earn a spot.

To me that indicates that he was very happy with his role in Ottawa but felt like nobody would really challenge him for it if he went back. I don't know whether he was right or wrong but he did pretty well in Switzerland this season.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
One of the reasons he gave in interviews for ultimately signing with the Lions was competition. He said that with the Lions there's more competition for spots and he wanted to challenge himself to earn a spot.

To me that indicates that he was very happy with his role in Ottawa but felt like nobody would really challenge him for it if he went back. I don't know whether he was right or wrong but he did pretty well in Switzerland this season.
There's more to it.
He wanted to go Pro to start making money.
Montreal's director of scouting Eric Crawford set him up with his brother Mark to develop him in Zurich so the organization could keep close tabs on him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There's more to it.
Montreal's director of scouting Eric Crawford set him up with his brother Mark to develop him in Zurich so the organization could keep close tabs on him.

LOL. That is VERY interesting.

So, instead of developing him in Ottawa with the 67’s 90 minutes away from his NHL club, they decide it is better for his development to play a 6 hour flight away in Europe? Tht isn’t a very good endorsement for the Ottawa 67’s organization.

Reactions: PuckStop75

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

So, instead of developing him in Ottawa with the 67’s 90 minutes away from his NHL club, they decide it is better for his development to play a 6 hour flight away in Europe? Tht isn’t a very good endorsement for the Ottawa 67’s organization.
Once the kid wanted out it made a lot of sense to put him with someone close to the organization.
Pretty easy to get progress reports from big brother!
I think i remember hearing he was home sick and didn't want to be in Canada anymore also playing into it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There's more to it.

Money may well have been a factor but I'm not sure Crawford was. Rohrer played almost all of his hockey in the Lions organization. So if he wanted to turn pro he was always gonna go back there, give or take Crawford.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Once the kid wanted out it made a lot of sense to put him with someone close to the organization.
Pretty easy to get progress reports from big brother!
I think i remember hearing he was home sick and didn't want to be in Canada anymore also playing into it.
“Once the kid wanted out”

That is the point. He wanted out. I don’t buy this as a situation where he really liked where he was and had no intention of leaving and then a better opportunity arose with Zurich. I view this as I want out and there was an opportunity in Zurich so he went there. There needed to be a precipitating factor for him to first want to explore other opportunities. At least, from my perspective, that is how I read it at the time and still read it now.

The issue then balloons into whether this is a simple isolated incident OR is there something that we are not seeing? I point to Beck demanding a trade. I point to HB defecting and being traded to London. I point to the rumour that a trade for Mayich was worked out. Contingent on getting Sale. I point to what looks to be a complete lack of interest for this team down the stretch, maybe the last 3-4 weeks.

As mentioned, each individual incident can be explained away. No problem. Beck wanted a fresh start after injuries and not getting signed by Calgary. HB was a strategic draft pick where the intention the entire time was the use the defection rule. Mayich didn’t know or say anything. Boyd felt it was better for the team so he made a tough decision. The team is tired and didn’t’ have the energy to compete. All reasonable explanations individually. But, again, cumulatively, it seems like a lot.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

That is the point. He wanted out. I don’t buy this as a situation where he really liked where he was and had no intention of leaving and then a better opportunity arose with Zurich. I view this as I want out and there was an opportunity in Zurich so he went there. There needed to be a precipitating factor for him to first want to explore other opportunities. At least, from my perspective, that is how I read it at the time and still read it now.

The issue then balloons into whether this is a simple isolated incident OR is there something that we are not seeing? I point to Beck demanding a trade. I point to HB defecting and being traded to London. I point to the rumour that a trade for Mayich was worked out. Contingent on getting Sale. I point to what looks to be a complete lack of interest for this team down the stretch, maybe the last 3-4 weeks.

As mentioned, each individual incident can be explained away. No problem. Beck wanted a fresh start after injuries and not getting signed by Calgary. HB was a strategic draft pick where the intention the entire time was the use the defection rule. Mayich didn’t know or say anything. Boyd felt it was better for the team so he made a tough decision. The team is tired and didn’t’ have the energy to compete. All reasonable explanations individually. But, again, cumulatively, it seems like a lot.

The question is why Rohrer wanted out. He did not want to return to Canada, after going back to Europe after the 67s season ended last spring. With Rohrer, there were circumstances drawing him back to Europe that the 67s (or any team in the OHL for that matter) would be unable to help solve for him.

He found a good landing spot with a well-regarded team in a city he spent a lot of time in. From his perspective, he seems to be happy with his decision all things considered.

Of all the player issues happening over the past ~year, the Rohrer situation is the one that is most explainable by non-hockey factors.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

Beck situation was much more complicated then Rohrer's.
Jack Beck refused to report until traded. -Most people thought he was going to London though.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Playing close to your NHL team is an old analogy. NHL teams have scouts everywhere including Europe. The development curve is far more important than being able to ride a bike there in 10 minutes. There is very good programs in Europe and the level of opposition is a good test for development. It's not for everyone but for a European born player it is an easy decision.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Playing close to your NHL team is an old analogy. NHL teams have scouts everywhere including Europe. The development curve is far more important than being able to ride a bike there in 10 minutes. There is very good programs in Europe and the level of opposition is a good test for development. It's not for everyone but for a European born player it is an easy decision.

Again, it is not about one single explainable incident. It is about 5+ incidents/situations that have arisen over less than one calendar year that point to players choosing to not remain or join in Ottawa. I think we need to view it as a bigger picture. One or two may be explainable. Fine. But 5+?

One other one that has been highlighted is the apparent refusal for Uronen to return when he is healthy again. I can understand that one as well but it is another situation that adds to the others.

Reactions: PuckStop75

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The question is why Rohrer wanted out. He did not want to return to Canada, after going back to Europe after the 67s season ended last spring. With Rohrer, there were circumstances drawing him back to Europe that the 67s (or any team in the OHL for that matter) would be unable to help solve for him.

He found a good landing spot with a well-regarded team in a city he spent a lot of time in. From his perspective, he seems to be happy with his decision all things considered.

Of all the player issues happening over the past ~year, the Rohrer situation is the one that is most explainable by non-hockey factors.
We can speculate about these things from a lot of different perspectives. The harsh reality is the players demonstrating an interest in NOT playing in Ottawa over the last couple of years indicates an issue with the Hockey Operations of the team.
2 Defective players, requested trades, leaving the organization for other leagues, and then rejecting trades to the team while they are well positioned to compete is not a good look. The CHL is the premiere hockey development league for teenagers on a pathway to the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I still don't think it had anything to do with the Ottawa 67's. Rohrer most certainly never wanted to leave the Lions, only did so in order to get drafted. So once he received the offer to turn pro with the Lions it was obviously very tempting. He said he thought about it for over a month I think...which indicates he liked Ottawa quite a bit as well.

Reactions: NoQuit67s and OMG67

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Again, it is not about one single explainable incident. It is about 5+ incidents/situations that have arisen over less than one calendar year that point to players choosing to not remain or join in Ottawa. I think we need to view it as a bigger picture. One or two may be explainable. Fine. But 5+?

One other one that has been highlighted is the apparent refusal for Uronen to return when he is healthy again. I can understand that one as well but it is another situation that adds to the others.
If there is any truth to the Uronen thing then DC has to go, sorry but he is the only variable that has changed sufficiently to generate this kind of response in the last few years. And I completely agree 1 or 2 disgruntled teenagers would be one thing but when NHL drafted players are walking away from the team and demanding trades there is something wrong.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
None of the explanations for Rohrer are mutually exclusive. I imagine there were multiple reasons that led to the decision. Some may be dissatisfaction in Ottawa and others may be related to better opportunities.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The European kids get homesick fairly frequently - this isn't new. In recent years the Senators had both Lassi Thomson and Levi Meralainen go back to Europe for their D+2 seasons when the club would have preferred that they had stayed in North America.

Back to our current team - I wonder if Collin Mackenzie is at practice this week? If he doesn't make the trip to Brantford, and if Michelone loses game one, I would go to Nelson for game two. If we are going to lose the series anyway, may as well do it with the young goaltender getting some experience and a head start on next season. Zero sense losing with a kid who won't be on your roster in September...

One other one that has been highlighted is the apparent refusal for Uronen to return when he is healthy again.
I must have missed that memo. Where did that news come from?

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Does not take long for a coach to fall from grace. Last year DC was so high on a pedestal he had to keep ducking to get through doors, lol.

Don’t get it twisted. There is nothing wrong with DC as a coach per se. I think this may be as simple as ensuring the players brought in match the system the coach likes to implement. This could very well be just that. Some players not feeling they are utilized in the manner that suits their personal development. I have pointed to that in Kingston with Mann coming on board. He needs time to adjust his roster.

Next year is the last cohort from the Tourigny years. So, this offseason may be interesting.

I don’t want this to come across as a “problem” with Cameron. This may be a problem with drafting and/or roster construction that needs to be reevaluated based on the style of play. It also may very well be that they are implementing the new way and starting to bring players on that match it and there is a bit of an hindering mismatch situation while they gradually make those changes.

I’m not trying to drop a nuke on the team.

Reactions: ohloutsider

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Don’t get it twisted. There is nothing wrong with DC as a coach per se. I think this may be as simple as ensuring the players brought in match the system the coach likes to implement. This could very well be just that. Some players not feeling they are utilized in the manner that suits their personal development. I have pointed to that in Kingston with Mann coming on board. He needs time to adjust his roster.

Next year is the last cohort from the Tourigny years. So, this offseason may be interesting.

I don’t want this to come across as a “problem” with Cameron. This may be a problem with drafting and/or roster construction that needs to be reevaluated based on the style of play. It also may very well be that they are implementing the new way and starting to bring players on that match it and there is a bit of an hindering mismatch situation while they gradually make those changes.

I’m not trying to drop a nuke on the team.
Lets be real in understanding two things:

1) the team is not performing right now, for whatever reason they hit a wall a few weeks ago and it has fallen apart

2) there is a fundamental flaw in the system, Wilson in Peterborough, Mann in Kingston and McKee in Brantford solved the puzzle a while ago and a few others are starting to piece it together

part of this may be an issue with personnel and drafting, but Cameron has been with the team for three years and the size coming from the draft table has continued to get smaller and smaller since his arrival. I'm not buying for a minute that they are in a player demographic transition. There is an issue with performance right now, that inevitably begins with Coaching no matter what theory you are buying into.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lets be real in understanding two things:

1) the team is not performing right now, for whatever reason they hit a wall a few weeks ago and it has fallen apart

2) there is a fundamental flaw in the system, Wilson in Peterborough, Mann in Kingston and McKee in Brantford solved the puzzle a while ago and a few others are starting to piece it together

part of this may be an issue with personnel and drafting, but Cameron has been with the team for three years and the size coming from the draft table has continued to get smaller and smaller since his arrival. I'm not buying for a minute that they are in a player demographic transition. There is an issue with performance right now, that inevitably begins with Coaching no matter what theory you are buying into.

Agreed but what I am saying is it isn’t necessarily a coaching issue as much as a player acquisition issue. That may have Cameron’s hands on it and it may not. They were very successful under Tourigny. It is very possible Boyd felt they could carry that over to Cameron and didn’t change philosophy. Now, Cameron may be frustrated in what he’s getting fromt he players and it is wearing down the current team. I can see that as a very big possibility.

That doesn’t mean you need to change the coach. You can change the player makeup to suit the system better. Of course, you can always change the coach too. Either/or. I just don’t want this to come across as a rant for firing Cameron. There are other options and to be honest, I feel if we changed the makeup of the roster a bit to suit Cameron’s coaching style, I think it could work very well.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think Dave Cameron is a great coach.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever had a conversation with him before? -he has a bit of a strange personality.
He is very hard to get a read on and very dry sense of humor.
I think there may be a bit of a disconnect in the ability to connect with some of his players because of it. -This is probably one of the most challenging things in hockey as a coach.
I have heard from players in the current dressing room they are treated very well by the organization as a whole and love playing there.

There is always going to be the odd young entitled player with parents or an agent steering them in a different direction.
I think there is likely multiple reasons in most of the decisions made where players have thought the grass would be greener elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: NordiquesForeva

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Dave Cameron is a great coach.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever had a conversation with him before? -he has a bit of a strange personality.
He is very hard to get a read on and very dry sense of humour.
I think there may be a bit of a disconnect in the ability to connect with some of his players because of it. -This is probably one of the most challenging things in hockey as a coach.
I have heard from players in the current dressing room they are treated very well by the organization a whole and love playing there.

There is always going to be the odd young entitled player with parents or an agent steering them in a different direction.
I think there is likely multiple reasons in most of the decisions made where players have thought the grass would be greener elsewhere.

And I think this in particular may be the area I am more trying to get to. Identifying the most suitable players in earlier stages, working with them individually, assessing their individual needs and where possible, provide for those needs. If there isn’t a likely outcome that make sense for both sides, part ways. I believe that is what is happening right now with the organization. The issue is the volume of players that “may” have been or still are in that situation, resulting in parting ways.

If there is an uncomfortable number of players in that situation, what should be done about it? THAT is more what I am getting at.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
And I think this in particular may be the area I am more trying to get to. Identifying the most suitable players in earlier stages, working with them individually, assessing their individual needs and where possible, provide for those needs. If there isn’t a likely outcome that make sense for both sides, part ways. I believe that is what is happening right now with the organization. The issue is the volume of players that “may” have been or still are in that situation, resulting in parting ways.

If there is an uncomfortable number of players in that situation, what should be done about it? THAT is more what I am getting at.
This is the GM'S job to get a grasp on what's going on inside the walls of his team.
Typically every player departing the organization has an exit interview.
If something is going on it would come to head.
I think next season will be a challenging one for you guys.
Players are going to want to be moved to a stronger team while Ottawa rebuilds again.
It may give the optics that it has something to do with DC but I'm not sure that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad