Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Going to be an exciting weekend. We definitely need to win Friday against the Gens, and going to OT with London would be nice.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Going to be an exciting weekend. We definitely need to win Friday against the Gens, and going to OT with London would be nice.
I am so sick of losing to London and that @$$hat Hunter that I could puke. Want to make a statement that this team is a legit contender? There's our opportunity. Let's go run these guys out of the rink right from the opening faceoff and deliver a statement win...

Reactions: OMG67 and Boris67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am so sick of losing to London and that @$$hat Hunter that I could puke. Want to make a statement that this team is a legit contender? There's our opportunity. Let's go run these guys out of the rink right from the opening faceoff and deliver a statement win...

Our last regulation loss to London was Feb 17, 2020. It is sort of a cheat though. We had a cancelled season and a season that was only inter-division. So, we have a three game streak of losses in extra time. But, I share your sentiment. I think we need a win. I think we need a statement game. We did well against North Bay on Monday but I think the win against London carries more weight. The boys should be fired up!

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
In all fairness, Oshawa is very forgettable….

Some big news today.

MacKenzie is on the roster as the starter this evening vs Oshawa.

I suspect he wouldn't get back to back starts... but then again nothing surprises me anymore with the goaltending starts this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I suspect he wouldn't get back to back starts... but then again nothing surprises me anymore with the goaltending starts this year.

If I had to guess, a higher priority is placed on tonight’s game. However, if you are going to bring a goaltender back from injury, Oshawa is a less difficult opponent. It may make sense to give him this start from that perspective as well.

Regardless, let’s hope he shows no significant rust and is not playing tentative in any way. We need him to remain healthy at this point. Further down time could get more serious.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If I had to guess, a higher priority is placed on tonight’s game. However, if you are going to bring a goaltender back from injury, Oshawa is a less difficult opponent. It may make sense to give him this start from that perspective as well.

Regardless, let’s hope he shows no significant rust and is not playing tentative in any way. We need him to remain healthy at this point. Further down time could get more serious.
Absolutely we need him healthy. He's our wildcard in the playoffs. O7r stellar defensive stats in the first 30 games or so was in large part due to Mac. Would be very surprised if he plays against London.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
At this stage of the season, every game is a message game, even if only to the team and staff. It's time to gear up. The game on Family Day was the most complete effort in a long time, particularly the second and third period. Our second periods at home have been terrible of late, so it was nice to see.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
All too often teams over value games this time of year. For Ottawa securely in a playoff position the emphasis needs to be getting every one healthy and establishing 3 solid lines. Riding the top line to victories does nothing for the group as a whole.

Games against Oshawa and other teams ahead of them in the standings is about educating themselves about what each does, how they adjust to Ottawa's play and game planning for how to beat them in playoffs.

The Petes last year didn’t out skill Ottawa, in fact Ottawa won the last 3 regular season games. The Petes figured out how to play to beat them.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All too often teams over value games this time of year. For Ottawa securely in a playoff position the emphasis needs to be getting every one healthy and establishing 3 solid lines. Riding the top line to victories does nothing for the group as a whole.

Games against Oshawa and other teams ahead of them in the standings is about educating themselves about what each does, how they adjust to Ottawa's play and game planning for how to beat them in playoffs.

The Petes last year didn’t out skill Ottawa, in fact Ottawa won the last 3 regular season games. The Petes figured out how to play to beat them.
The Petes are a tough example. The Petes, in general, learned how to play. It wasn’t until the first round series against Sudbury where it looked like they finally had confidence. It wasn’t like that team ever dramatically needed to change its lines.

Strategically, there are many things that matter. One of them is to try to gain home ice advantage for as long as possible in the playoffs. Winning the division not only guarantees home ice in round one but also round two. It reduces travel and keeps the team more rested. It potentially lessens the length of the first series because of the quality of the team they play in round one. Winning is important.

HOWEVER, winning the right way is just as or more important. Strategically, if you are going to tinker a bit, do it against the weaker teams where they have some additional flexibility.

Additionally, you don’t need to ride your top line to victory every game. The weaker teams shouldn’t need to be approached in that way. If they are a true division winner, they should be able to approach games against the Petes and Barrie without needing to roll 2 lines and 4 D. But, when you play strategically important games, especially inter-division, you have to do what it take to win those games. IF that means riding a hot line then so be it.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's lead 5-0 after 2

SHOTS ON GOAL
Teams1st2nd3rdTotal
OSH912021
OTT1516031

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Boys are moving the puck really quick tonight. Working at good pace. When they play with pace, they usually have the advantage.

It is really noticeable when MacK is int he net. He hasn’t been tested but you see considerably less movement int he crease. He looks almost like a statue compared to Michelone. The calmness and confidence is evident. Nice to see him back in the crease.

3rd period still to play.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's win 5-0 Mackenzie with the shut out

Last edited:

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Great win tonight, and without any production from Kressler/Pinelli at that. The 67s are a more confident group in front of MacKenzie. Good puck movement and support all over the ice. Good to see Maillet finally hit the back of the net, and nice contributions from the bottom 6. Oshawa was pretty lifeless except for a couple of shifts in the 3rd when Ottawa was just playing it out.

When the 67s find their rhythm and start playing with pace and relentlessly attacking the puck carrier like they did tonight and against NB, they’re fun to watch and tough to beat.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OHL is always slow to update their standings - does this jump us into fourth?

5th. Missy won tonight to stay ahead On the tie breaker. NB and Brantford won as well so we don’t gain ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad