Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Granted, but the timing of many of those goals has been awful. Back a bit,Ottawa was up 4-2 late and he let in a softy. That young defence started panicking and then it was 4-4 very quickly. We needed that veteran goalie to shut it down and that is just not his forte. Any goalie looks better with a strong defence out front, but that has to be considered when looking for positional players.

I would argue the opposite. If they knew they were going to roll with a young defense, they really needed to spend on a goalie, or abandon the idea of a young defense and acquire at least one OA that would have played not he top pairing 30 minutes a night to help that situation out. It may have stunted some development of one of the D-Men but it would have had a positive affect on the overall development of the team as a whole.

This is why I question this management team. They have placed the development of the young defense ahead of the development of the entire team. It was stupid, stupid, stupid at the time to draft those three kids and then push their development. It has led to two straight 7th place conference finishes (maybe 8th this year). They had an opportunity to make an adjustment and again chose not to.

We may see next year that this strategy turns out to be a successful one. But, I fear they are unwilling to make the other corresponding moves in the offseason to bring that to fruition. I think they will enter next year to “see what they have got.”

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would argue the opposite. If they knew they were going to roll with a young defense, they really needed to spend on a goalie, or abandon the idea of a young defense and acquire at least one OA that would have played not he top pairing 30 minutes a night to help that situation out. It may have stunted some development of one of the D-Men but it would have had a positive affect on the overall development of the team as a whole.

This is why I question this management team. They have placed the development of the young defense ahead of the development of the entire team. It was stupid, stupid, stupid at the time to draft those three kids and then push their development. It has led to two straight 7th place conference finishes (maybe 8th this year). They had an opportunity to make an adjustment and again chose not to.

We may see next year that this strategy turns out to be a successful one. But, I fear they are unwilling to make the other corresponding moves in the offseason to bring that to fruition. I think they will enter next year to “see what they have got.”

Certainly a questionable strategy compounded by Rippon falling in the lap of the ‘67s and very good 2000 import D.
But with the immediate haul of picks for Stratis (Erie 3rd ‘18, Miss 2nd ‘19, PBO 2nd ‘19) to go with already banked ‘19 picks, the ‘67s can easily get a solid G & C; then be at the top of conference for two seasons.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's win the final game of the season 5-0 Tremblay with the shutout, 67's will play Hamilton in the 1st round

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Lets hope your team thinks like that too. Ottawa is playing better not saying we will win the series but it might be tougher than some think.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Lets hope your team thinks like that too. Ottawa is playing better not saying we will win the series but it might be tougher than some think.
Agreed. It all depends which 67’s team shows up: hopefully, the hard-driving, disciplined team that can win games through teamwork and grit, like the one that beat North Bay today.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed. It all depends which 67’s team shows up: hopefully, the hard-driving, disciplined team that can win games through teamwork and grit, like the one that beat North Bay today.

I don't think it really matters. Never say never but for Ottawa to win this series they need Hamilton to lay an egg. They are head and shoulders the better team. The series shouldn't really be close. Some games may be close and hotly contested but i don't think anyone should get their hopes up. At best this would be similar to last year with Mississauga where we won a couple and put a scare in them.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
JIMK

It has nothing to do with the format or anything really other than the mega fan support, media hype that these teams get and the fact that these players play to HUGE crowds and it is heavily tv hyped.

The closest thing we have is the CDN universities and they do not get the hype.or the fan support. Take a look at the crowd size and city impact that a team like the orange have in Syracuse. All other sports come second best.

You can be guaranteed that if the CHL was filling rinks like the civic center or maple leaf gardens or NHL ranks in Calgary and such with NHL style fan base they would get the coverage. That is why teams like London, Windsor, Kitchener do so well it is the fact that they are the game in town.

Ottawa has the NHL AND THE CJHL TO COMPETE AGAINST. The bottom ine is that it has nothing to do with March madness and a lot to do with the fan base that each team has.

NCAA teams have students and fans that travel to the locations of the team's games and stay in the city that the team is playing. We used to have that but it got too expensive. Be like the NCAA and do away with the draft and just have players choosing based on where they want toplay.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
JIMK

It has nothing to do with the format or anything really other than the mega fan support, media hype that these teams get and the fact that these players play to HUGE crowds and it is heavily tv hyped.

The closest thing we have is the CDN universities and they do not get the hype.or the fan support. Take a look at the crowd size and city impact that a team like the orange have in Syracuse. All other sports come second best.

You can be guaranteed that if the CHL was filling rinks like the civic center or maple leaf gardens or NHL ranks in Calgary and such with NHL style fan base they would get the coverage. That is why teams like London, Windsor, Kitchener do so well it is the fact that they are the game in town.

Ottawa has the NHL AND THE CJHL TO COMPETE AGAINST. The bottom ine is that it has nothing to do with March madness and a lot to do with the fan base that each team has.

NCAA teams have students and fans that travel to the locations of the team's games and stay in the city that the team is playing. We used to have that but it got too expensive. Be like the NCAA and do away with the draft and just have players choosing based on where they want toplay.
Just to clarify - Windsor is 10 minutes from the Redwings, Tigers, Lions, you can literally see the stadiums from downtown Windsor - Pro sports in this area have an impact on attendance for the Spits. Spits draw very well considering the competition.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Spits are the only hometown team. I agree that there is the draw across the border BUT it is still across the border also look at the teams that Windsor has had that have been cup challengers. That makes for a difference what was it like before the current ownership took the helm.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Spits are the only hometown team. I agree that there is the draw across the border BUT it is still across the border also look at the teams that Windsor has had that have been cup challengers. That makes for a difference what was it like before the current ownership took the helm.

I’m not too sure that is all that accurate.

That is like saying the Senators aren’t a hit against the Gatineau Olympiques. I am sure there are many Gatineau residents that frequent Sens games and it impacts the attendance at Olympiques gaems when there are Sens Games.

The reality is if Detroit Pro sports are a draw for Windsor residents, and by all accounts they are, then you have to consider it.

Similarly, when there was loads of talk that the NHL would put a team in Hamilton, the Buffalo Sabres voiced their concerns because of all the Canadians in the Niagara region that patronize their games and that was revenue they sorely needed.

Also considering that the travel from Windsor to NFL, NHL, and MLB Parks in Detroit are a much shorter distance than downtown Ottawa to Kanata and it makes it even more sense that Windsor residents would make the very quick trip across the bridge.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
By any luck would anyone have a Rogers Tv log in I could use to stream the game? Or any other way to stream too cheap to pay the $8.00 to buy on OHL app. I will buy you a beer at the next 67's game!!!
Not to burst your bubble bud but a beer will cost you 10$!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Do the 67's have to travel back and forth twice to Hamilton or are they staying the 4 days, does'nt seem fair when Hamilton only has to stay one night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad