Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Forgot to say that some teams have brought their own crew but that means they also ship the cameras and trucks . Cant see ottawa do that.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well interesting week end, best case scenario we finish 6th and play Barrie. So we need to win tonight and have Kingston beat North Bay. Then we have our faith in our hands sunday. Second best scenario is 8th imo and play Hamilton. I want no part of Kingston in #2 seed....Helvig.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Well interesting week end, best case scenario we finish 6th and play Barrie. So we need to win tonight and have Kingston beat North Bay. Then we have our faith in our hands sunday. Second best scenario is 8th imo and play Hamilton. I want no part of Kingston in #2 seed....Helvig.

For what it's worth, Helvig dinged for 6 and yanked 1:58 into 3rd period last night.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Happy to have put my foot in my mouth on that! What a comeback.

I think that I read on Missy`s board that they just signed a new TV package with their local college. Let`s hope so.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Totally agree. That is why I say Dylan Peterson. He is highly rated, is an Ottawa boy, Centre, 6’3” 185lb but is committed to Boston University.

The question is whether he is willing to stay home and play here. If he may be swayed, it is worth the risk. If he doesn’t then we at least get the comp pick next year. If he would consider the OHL but only with a team like London, then you can work out the trade. To me it is a no lose situation. Although, it is better to have him than not have him because I agree that we need that position covered.

Also, if Chmelevski does move to the wing to make way for an incoming Centre (I mentioned Saigeon as a possible OA target), then Hoelscher stays as the 2nd line centre and the 1st rounder (Peterson for example) takes Casscagnette’s current position on the 3rd line. This would be a solid solution if they could make it work.

Another possible option for a defected player pick is Cole Perfetti, ranked as the 3rd best player in the draft by one service. Apparently he is only willing to report to Oshawa or London and is committed to Michigan. It could serve as a double whammy to Oshawa by picking him up before they can grab fantastic value with him for their pick and then flip him over to London who is as loaded as Ottawa draft pick wise.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah you're right so let's hope for the seventh seed, don't want six and play k-town.

Welll, you don’t need to worry about 6th, Now it is looking more like Hamilton. Out loss tonight vaults Mississauga to 7th with he tie breaker. Mississauga has a game in hand meaning all they need to do is gain two points out of their final two games to solidify 7th,

I don’t think we match up wel with Hamilton at all. As a matter of fact, I am not sure we can win a game. Hamilton is clearly stronger.

On a side note, our 67 points marks an improvement of SEVEN points in the standings from last season. I’d call that a disappointment considering our defense is a year older and the main pieces of our offense all returned (with the exception of Tyanulin). Our goaltending has ranged anywhere from downright horrid to shaky for a good part of a full season so there is that to blame but we should have been better. Six extra wins gives us home ice advantage in the playoffs and I truely believe that is where we should have been.

We need considerable improvement next year and I don’t think we will get valuable playoff experience this year so it is not looking great.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
0-5 vs Hamilton outscored 26-8..... OUCH
I agree we don't match up well against Hamilton either. I just feel its the lesser of two evils as I do think with a full line up that Kingston is better with the best goaltender. Semantics at the end, will be happy if they take one game.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Welll, you don’t need to worry about 6th, Now it is looking more like Hamilton. Out loss tonight vaults Mississauga to 7th with he tie breaker. Mississauga has a game in hand meaning all they need to do is gain two points out of their final two games to solidify 7th,

I don’t think we match up wel with Hamilton at all. As a matter of fact, I am not sure we can win a game. Hamilton is clearly stronger.

On a side note, our 67 points marks an improvement of SEVEN points in the standings from last season. I’d call that a disappointment considering our defense is a year older and the main pieces of our offense all returned (with the exception of Tyanulin). Our goaltending has ranged anywhere from downright horrid to shaky for a good part of a full season so there is that to blame but we should have been better. Six extra wins gives us home ice advantage in the playoffs and I truely believe that is where we should have been.

We need considerable improvement next year and I don’t think we will get valuable playoff experience this year so it is not looking great.
I don't think you can look only at points. This team has improved significantly but its hidden by a glaring lack of goaltending. If they can fix that I am quite optimistic. We shall see.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think you can look only at points. This team has improved significantly but its hidden by a glaring lack of goaltending. If they can fix that I am quite optimistic. We shall see.

I don’t disagree but at some point the organization needs to actually accomplish something before you can honestly say they are improved. Right now, this current group has not accomplished anything.

This organization hasn’t accomplished anything since the 2011-2012 season. That includes off ice with management and ownership.

The reality is this franchise has become a bottom feeder and it is starting to perpetuate itself year after year. We cannot be the franchise that tries to find the silver lining in failure. We need to be the franchise that leads the league or is at least amongst the leaders again. Sure, you can have an off year where they hit a low cycle year of rebuilding but this team has been rebuilding for quite some time.

The point is, you cannot simply point a finger at the goaltending and use that as a separator between success and failure. Not only is it unfair to the goaltenders, it is unfair to the organization because ultimately, it is not only the players that are involved with the success and failure of the team. You need also source out why the goaltending wasn’t ever seriously addressed if that was supposedly the glaring weakness and the difference between success and failure.

The point is the organization as a whole is bankrupt of success. Ownership is unable to properly promote the team, management is unable to address weaknesses even though they have the assets to do so, and the player are unable to translate their skill into success. That is a triple whammy. If this organization is trying to attract top talent for this upcoming draft, they are going to have an awe fully tough time doing so. As of right now, this organization doesn’t really have a lot going for it. That doesn’t mean they are incapable of turning it around but if I am being completely frank, if they can’t do it next season, I am afraid the organization will lose any shred of reputation left over from its past glory.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don’t disagree but at some point the organization needs to actually accomplish something before you can honestly say they are improved. Right now, this current group has not accomplished anything.

This organization hasn’t accomplished anything since the 2011-2012 season. That includes off ice with management and ownership.

The reality is this franchise has become a bottom feeder and it is starting to perpetuate itself year after year. We cannot be the franchise that tries to find the silver lining in failure. We need to be the franchise that leads the league or is at least amongst the leaders again. Sure, you can have an off year where they hit a low cycle year of rebuilding but this team has been rebuilding for quite some time.

The point is, you cannot simply point a finger at the goaltending and use that as a separator between success and failure. Not only is it unfair to the goaltenders, it is unfair to the organization because ultimately, it is not only the players that are involved with the success and failure of the team. You need also source out why the goaltending wasn’t ever seriously addressed if that was supposedly the glaring weakness and the difference between success and failure.

The point is the organization as a whole is bankrupt of success. Ownership is unable to properly promote the team, management is unable to address weaknesses even though they have the assets to do so, and the player are unable to translate their skill into success. That is a triple whammy. If this organization is trying to attract top talent for this upcoming draft, they are going to have an awe fully tough time doing so. As of right now, this organization doesn’t really have a lot going for it. That doesn’t mean they are incapable of turning it around but if I am being completely frank, if they can’t do it next season, I am afraid the organization will lose any shred of reputation left over from its past glory.
First of all I agree about the last 6 years, its been awful. Started with Byrne messing up the rebuild. Brown kind of picked up the pieces and set this management up to be succesful...I hope. Anything less than a conference final next year would be an abysmal failure. As for our reputation I still feel a few good years will fix that rather quickly and bring decent crowds back in but if they mess up the next two years recovery will be very difficult.
I' m not sure I understand your comment that I'm being unfair to the goaltenders and management? Weren't our goalies the concensus weak point? Did not management not properly evaluated what they had in goal and fail to address it? As for sourcing out why goaltending was not addressed I do understand there might be factors such as lack of available talent at the position, players who might have refused to come...Dipietro? At the end of the day I am not in position as a simple fan to know for sure so I can't give you an explanation. All I can tell you is management failed in this area (I do think they did a lot of good things this year however but the goalie issue has really skewed imo the real progress of the team). So I do blame the organization for not finding a way. Isn't that what elite organisations do such as London and the Soo? If we are to get back to the top they need to do better and have all the tools to do so the next two years. Time for excuses is over.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
First of all I agree about the last 6 years, its been awful. Started with Byrne messing up the rebuild. Brown kind of picked up the pieces and set this management up to be succesful...I hope. Anything less than a conference final next year would be an abysmal failure. As for our reputation I still feel a few good years will fix that rather quickly and bring decent crowds back in but if they mess up the next two years recovery will be very difficult.
I' m not sure I understand your comment that I'm being unfair to the goaltenders and management? Weren't our goalies the concensus weak point? Did not management not properly evaluated what they had in goal and fail to address it? As for sourcing out why goaltending was not addressed I do understand there might be factors such as lack of available talent at the position, players who might have refused to come...Dipietro? At the end of the day I am not in position as a simple fan to know for sure so I can't give you an explanation. All I can tell you is management failed in this area (I do think they did a lot of good things this year however but the goalie issue has really skewed imo the real progress of the team). So I do blame the organization for not finding a way. Isn't that what elite organisations do such as London and the Soo? If we are to get back to the top they need to do better and have all the tools to do so the next two years. Time for excuses is over.

You misunderstood regarding the goaltending. You can 'point' to the goaltending but you can't blame the goaltenders. Management did not address that issue all year. So I don't blame Tremblay. He came in and did his best but if he isn't good enough then it is managements responsibility to replace him and they didn't. So if there is blame it goes to management for over estimating the quality of the goaltending.

Mild Italian

Oct 3, 2017
You misunderstood regarding the goaltending. You can 'point' to the goaltending but you can't blame the goaltenders. Management did not address that issue all year. So I don't blame Tremblay. He came in and did his best but if he isn't good enough then it is managements responsibility to replace him and they didn't. So if there is blame it goes to management for over estimating the quality of the goaltending.
With what exactly? When there was no trade, there was no trade.Pretty clear.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
So it all comes down to tomorow. Lets hope kingston can do us a favor. But we better not lay another egg tomorow. At least going to the game will mean somthing.

Reactions: Mild Italien

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With what exactly? When there was no trade, there was no trade.Pretty clear.

There was a trade, two actually. We traded Lazarev to Barrie who backstopped their team to a Division Win. We presumably traded him to relieve an OA spot for other OA options but filled it right away with Tremblay. Clearly Tremblay was on waivers so the 67’s worked out a deal to give Lazarev to Barrie and in return Barrie used their waiver priority position to claim him for us ahead of all other OHL teams. That was a conscious decision on behalf of Management.

Personally, I didn’t mind they traded Lazarev because it opened the door for Lafreniere but it didn’t. There was no plan for Lafreniere to be the starter. At no time was that ever an option so he was never given the opportunity.

Then they traded Lafreniere to Owen Sound. He didn’t put up great numbers but he did go 16-8 after the trade and is the starting goalie on a team with home ice advantage int he playoffs (provided London doesn’t win their last game).

So that was three specific moves regarding goaltending for this management team. Just because there wasn’t a “suitable” deal available when they realized they were up shit creek, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t their fault.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OK thank you for clarifying.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I think that management thought they had a diamond in the rough with Tremblay. He came out of Quebec where AT has been coaching. I don't think his record was particularly stellar, but perhaps against certain teams. Problem is, an overage has to be topnotch day one and all season. That just didn't happen. I think he's played his best, but he seems to give up a weak one most games, blocker side usually. In a lot of our games this year, we've outplayed the opposition everywhere but in net and those were losses.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that management thought they had a diamond in the rough with Tremblay. He came out of Quebec where AT has been coaching. I don't think his record was particularly stellar, but perhaps against certain teams. Problem is, an overage has to be topnotch day one and all season. That just didn't happen. I think he's played his best, but he seems to give up a weak one most games, glove side usually. In a lot of our games this year, we've outplayed the opposition everywhere but in net and those were losses.

I don’t necessarily think that is completely fair. We do have a very young defense and are prone to giving up more opportunities than is necessary. So, there are more opportunities for Tremblay to make errors. That doesn’t absolve him from those mistakes but with a stronger and more veteran defense in front of him, he probably would have looked better.

On top of that, I think f the offense had taken care of business, some of those goals wouldn’t have hurt the team the same way.

Because of the construction of this team, we needed a goalie that could steal games but that is because of other inadequacies of the construction of the team.

Next year we should start seeing a lot more defensive one responsibility and hopefully more offensive zone success. That will reduce the emphasis on goaltending...I hope.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I don’t necessarily think that is completely fair. We do have a very young defense and are prone to giving up more opportunities than is necessary. So, there are more opportunities for Tremblay to make errors. That doesn’t absolve him from those mistakes but with a stronger and more veteran defense in front of him, he probably would have looked better...

Granted, but the timing of many of those goals has been awful. Back a bit,Ottawa was up 4-2 late and he let in a softy. That young defence started panicking and then it was 4-4 very quickly. We needed that veteran goalie to shut it down and that is just not his forte. Any goalie looks better with a strong defence out front, but that has to be considered when looking for positional players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad