Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Creed might have been there then but he is not with them now. Wondering where he ended up playing if he is at all.

I agree that Andree needs more games but the question is how do you do it.
The fact that Ottawa does not have a goalie coach is probably why their goalies are having such a rough time. This has to be addressed in the future. There must be people in the area that can help.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Creed might have been there then but he is not with them now. Wondering where he ended up playing if he is at all.

I agree that Andree needs more games but the question is how do you do it.
The fact that Ottawa does not have a goalie coach is probably why their goalies are having such a rough time. This has to be addressed in the future. There must be people in the area that can help.
As reported in Le Droit on Nov. 28, Creed Jones was acquired by Gatineau and is with the team as their 3rd goalie for the balance of the season. He will not be playing for Ottawa.

Andy Chiodo is Ottawa’s goalie coach. He comes up to Ottawa occasionally and likely touches base with the goalies after games, etc. However, I agree that not having him based here is not a good situation (further exacerbated by the 3 goalie merry-go-round). The situation was much better last year when the goalie coach, Paul Schonfelder, was at virtually every practice and home game. Local goalie coaches probably applied for the job when Paul resigned, but management opted for an out-of-town coach. Go figure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As reported in Le Droit on Nov. 28, Creed Jones was acquired by Gatineau and is with the team as their 3rd goalie for the balance of the season. He will not be playing for Ottawa.

Andy Chiodo is Ottawa’s goalie coach. He comes up to Ottawa occasionally and likely touches base with the goalies after games, etc. However, I agree that not having him based here is not a good situation (further exacerbated by the 3 goalie merry-go-round). The situation was much better last year when the goalie coach, Paul Schonfelder, was at virtually every practice and home game. Local goalie coaches probably applied for the job when Paul resigned, but management opted for an out-of-town coach. Go figure.

I don’t think a goalie coach can lower a team GAA by over a half a point. Normally goalie coaches work with the guys on minor incremental improvements that are skill related.

Maybe I am wrong but when you have a 20 year old in your net that has never really shown he to be a starting goalie EVER in the past, I think this is a case of square peg round hole. 17 games with a 48 win team last year that didn’t make it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs isn’t a strong enough gauge of what a kid can do. I think they saw his play behind a great Rouyn team and felt very confident this year with him. Unfortunately, we don’t have their defense so GLWT.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe I am wrong but when you have a 20 year old in your net that has never really shown he to be a starting goalie EVER in the past, I think this is a case of square peg round hole. 17 games with a 48 win team last year that didn’t make it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs isn’t a strong enough gauge of what a kid can do. I think they saw his play behind a great Rouyn team and felt very confident this year with him. Unfortunately, we don’t have their defense so GLWT.
Couldn’t agree with you more, but as several posters have pointed out, it’s unlikely that they’ll trade for another goalie now. Tremblay has also been playing relatively well, as of late. Let’s face it, the team is not strong enough, overall, this year to make a run for it so we wouldn’t want to waste assets on a goalie that another team would be willing to give up.

I think it was unfair what they did to Lafrenière, but what’s done is done. Tremblay now appears to be their guy and I can’t seem them playing Lafrenière as a backup when they have a 17-yr old that needs the ice time to develop properly. I just hope they find Lafrenière a place to play.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Not sure what Mark Seidel is talking about here:

Battaglia is a 2000 GMHL/OJHL goalie. No clue about the Marty Hogan reference. Maybe he mixed up teams?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Couldn’t agree with you more, but as several posters have pointed out, it’s unlikely that they’ll trade for another goalie now. Tremblay has also been playing relatively well, as of late. Let’s face it, the team is not strong enough, overall, this year to make a run for it so we wouldn’t want to waste assets on a goalie that another team would be willing to give up.

I think it was unfair what they did to Lafrenière, but what’s done is done. Tremblay now appears to be their guy and I can’t seem them playing Lafrenière as a backup when they have a 17-yr old that needs the ice time to develop properly. I just hope they find Lafrenière a place to play.

If this team finishes no higher in the standings than last year then they have had ZERO progression.

When a goalie has a .882 Save% half way through the season and is a 20 year old Overage player, either that goalie has been horrid OR the defense in front of him is horrid or some form of combination of the two.

So, if anyone suggests the defense is progressing fine and the goaltending is fine, they should be fired for being so stupid.

They cannot continue to blow sunshine up our asses and think we are stupid enough to believe it.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Can't agree that Tremblay has been playing well.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If this team finishes no higher in the standings than last year then they have had ZERO progression.

When a goalie has a .882 Save% half way through the season and is a 20 year old Overage player, either that goalie has been horrid OR the defense in front of him is horrid or some form of combination of the two.

So, if anyone suggests the defense is progressing fine and the goaltending is fine, they should be fired for being so stupid.

They cannot continue to blow sunshine up our asses and think we are stupid enough to believe it.
IMO our three biggest problems
1-goaltending
2-goaltending
3-goaltending

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Frustration about our goaltending aside I think the D is actually our strenght and they are playing very well. Soft goals are killing us and our offense is underperforming. As I said before we have no superstar but we have many good players up there. We need more from Foget, Felhaber and Keating in particular. The first two skate for miles but don't accomplish much. That line is not working.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Frustration about our goaltending aside I think the D is actually our strenght and they are playing very well. Soft goals are killing us and our offense is underperforming. As I said before we have no superstar but we have many good players up there. We need more from Foget, Felhaber and Keating in particular. The first two skate for miles but don't accomplish much. That line is not working.

That’s why I want an OA centre to stretch out the lines. Our biggest issue is we don’t have REAL centres. We have wingers that pretend to be centres. With one bonafide veteran centre, we can stretch out three scoring lines. It pushes Bitten/Hoelscher down to the 4th line and really gives us depth.

I still want an OA D-Man for the first pairing. I want that settling influence.

We have 7 returning D-Men. I think we can afford to trade a kid like Stratis if we have a chance of picking up DiPietro. You ship out Stratis, add DiPietro and an OA D-Man and OA centre and the whole face of this team is changed.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

Apparently Battaglia (Noah Battaglia) was a put on waivers (by who? undrafted in OHL) and Ottawa claimed him.

His save % is remarkable at .904 considering his GAA of 4.06 is reflective of Milton's 1-29-0-2 record.

He's currently on Team Canada East at WJAC in Truro.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Apparently Battaglia (Noah Battaglia) was a put on waivers (by who? undrafted in OHL) and Ottawa claimed him.

His save % is remarkable at .904 considering his GAA of 4.06 is reflective of Milton's 1-29-0-2 record.

He's currently on Team Canada East at WJAC in Truro.

A .900 save% on a horrible team is impressive. That means he is saving 42 of 46 on an average night.... AVERAGE night.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The scenario that I am seeing as possible is that at the break they thank Tremblay and let him go. That leaves them with 3 goalies. The choice then is, do you go with Battaglia and Andree or Lafreniere and one of the others.

I can see them bringing Battaglia in for a couple of games to see what he is like. Looking at the scores in the WJAC it worries me a little.

I disagree with the goalie coach does not make a big difference. He can make a huge difference if he is on the ice working on the skills and development of Andree. I believe that the goalie coach was the reason that Lafreniere looked so good.

I think this is a mid-card team. Getting an OA is not what is needed getting a 19-year-old would be a better idea someone that will be here next year as an OA.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The scenario that I am seeing as possible is that at the break they thank Tremblay and let him go. That leaves them with 3 goalies. The choice then is, do you go with Battaglia and Andree or Lafreniere and one of the others.

I can see them bringing Battaglia in for a couple of games to see what he is like. Looking at the scores in the WJAC it worries me a little.

I disagree with the goalie coach does not make a big difference. He can make a huge difference if he is on the ice working on the skills and development of Andree. I believe that the goalie coach was the reason that Lafreniere looked so good.

I think this is a mid-card team. Getting an OA is not what is needed getting a 19-year-old would be a better idea someone that will be here next year as an OA.

This conference is wide open. The best team in the Conference is sitting in the basement (Mississauga). Any position is up for grabs IMO. All they need to do is make the right moves.

If we look at the structure of this team from a “future watch” perspective, we have virtually all players coming back next year. Of those players, we have 7 D-Men returning. We can only dress SIX. Of those six, only FOUR will get regular ice time. That means Hoefenmeyer will play top four with four of Okhotyuk, Robertson, Stratis, and Bahl. That means one of those four are going to be relegated to the third pairing with Wilson. Peric continues to see spot duty. To me, that is an open opportunity to use one of those three eligible to be traded D-men (Bahl, Stratis, Robertson) in a significant deal that helps us shift our assets in a direction that would help this team this year as well as not hurting the team next year.

IF we could use one of those three D-Men as the centre piece to bring in DiPietro, to me it is a no-brainer. It is a wise use of assets. Clearly we are not going to trade Graham Clarke so if we want to acquire a top tier player, specifically a WJHC calibre goalie as an 18 year old, we will need to give up the type of assets that make sense. That is one of those three D-Men and a package of picks. We have the depth on the blueline to make that happen and we have the plethora of picks to augment it. In addition, we would have two OA spots available, one of which could be used on a D-Man to replace the D-Man we trade. That would still leave Peric in a development position where he should be this year as the #7.

Once we have a world class goalie, the team in front will start to play more confidently. You will see this team surge with that added confidence. Teams with stellar goalies play more loose and free. They are usually more explosive as a result.

I don’t understand why this deal is not more talked about.

EDIT: In addition, the 67’s have FIVE premier D-Men all the same age. That means they will all graduate at the same time leaving the team FIVE D-Men short all at the same time. If we are lucky, one of them sticks as an OA which leaves us FOUR D-Men short. That is a VERY tough cycle. IT needs to be addressed at some point. Why not now when we can utilize the asset more effectively?

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
This conference is wide open. The best team in the Conference is sitting in the basement (Mississauga). Any position is up for grabs IMO. All they need to do is make the right moves.

If we look at the structure of this team from a “future watch” perspective, we have virtually all players coming back next year. Of those players, we have 7 D-Men returning. We can only dress SIX. Of those six, only FOUR will get regular ice time. That means Hoefenmeyer will play top four with four of Okhotyuk, Robertson, Stratis, and Bahl. That means one of those four are going to be relegated to the third pairing with Wilson. Peric continues to see spot duty. To me, that is an open opportunity to use one of those three eligible to be traded D-men (Bahl, Stratis, Robertson) in a significant deal that helps us shift our assets in a direction that would help this team this year as well as not hurting the team next year.

IF we could use one of those three D-Men as the centre piece to bring in DiPietro, to me it is a no-brainer. It is a wise use of assets. Clearly we are not going to trade Graham Clarke so if we want to acquire a top tier player, specifically a WJHC calibre goalie as an 18 year old, we will need to give up the type of assets that make sense. That is one of those three D-Men and a package of picks. We have the depth on the blueline to make that happen and we have the plethora of picks to augment it. In addition, we would have two OA spots available, one of which could be used on a D-Man to replace the D-Man we trade. That would still leave Peric in a development position where he should be this year as the #7.

Once we have a world class goalie, the team in front will start to play more confidently. You will see this team surge with that added confidence. Teams with stellar goalies play more loose and free. They are usually more explosive as a result.

I don’t understand why this deal is not more talked about.

EDIT: In addition, the 67’s have FIVE premier D-Men all the same age. That means they will all graduate at the same time leaving the team FIVE D-Men short all at the same time. If we are lucky, one of them sticks as an OA which leaves us FOUR D-Men short. That is a VERY tough cycle. IT needs to be addressed at some point. Why not now when we can utilize the asset more effectively?
Agree with this wholeheartedly, get a goalie and this team can compete. I personally would keep Bahl and Robertson and trade Stratis. Not that I don't like him but that's the way I would go.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Q: Does Hoefenmayer return as an OA? Based on my limited viewings I think he does but I only see him several times a year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Q: Does Hoefenmayer return as an OA? Based on my limited viewings I think he does but I only see him several times a year.

Does it matter? Hypothetically speaking, let’s jsut assume he does stay as an OA. Let’s say Wilson is also an OA. That means we have seven D-Men returning next year. Then we have seven D-Men returning the following year. Then we have one D-Man returning the following year......

See the problem?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Wonder if this is Battaglia signing or something else?

I wouldn’t consider that a “deal.” If they have claimed himon waivers, technically they already have him.

EDIT:

Maybe Cedric Andree has been showcased lately as part of a potential deal for another goalie. Claiming Battaglia would be his replacement as the backup or #3. Just a thought.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Wonder if this is Battaglia signing or something else?
Certainly hope they are making a move. I know the brass have been hinting at staying the course etc. But it makes no sense to keep all those draft picks, no room for everybody and as OMG said its a wide open division and we are close to being very competitive. Time to set up the team for success....its been too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad