Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Jones is 1 of 3 goalies in Wellington (they've appeared in 5 games each), has a 1-3-0-1 record, a .360 GAA and a .888 SV% (each stat the poorest of the 3 goalies) so he's not likely a factor.

It's only a matter of time, however, before Cedrick Andree gets his chance.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t have an issue with new management requiring a player to prove himself for ice time. That goes without saying. But, what has Tremblay done to unseat Lafreniere? Why is it that we acquire an OA goalie waived through the QMJHL and essentially toss away a goalie that was our starter for a lot of the season last year until the end when Lazarev took over the reigns through the playoffs.

IF we were hell bent on having an OA goalie man the pipes and set Lafreniere aside because we didn’t have faith in him then why not just keep Lazarev? At least he knows the team and the league. Why are we reinventing the wheel with an OA goalie from an alternate league?

He may very well turn out to be jsut fine but so could have Lafreniere.

Statistically speaking, Tremblay has only had one 17 game stretch with Rouyn-Noranda last season where he seemed to excel. Other than that stretch, he had never put up a .900 save%. No wonder no teams in the Q picked him up for free.

This team has bigger needs for two OA spots than to use one of them on a goalie, especially an average one at best.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just noticed Tynaulin is starting in the AHL for Arizona's team. Good thing there will be room for him to make the NHL if he does well at the AHL level.

As to Lafreniere there may be other issues that we are not privy to that may be affecting him. Then again he may have a few flaws that they want to work out.

From what I am seeing there is not a lot of difference in their stats. Again it might be a case that they want an experienced goalie to backstop a learning defence. Killer did that one year when he brought in Weekes to give Hillier some coaching. Not that hillier learned anything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just noticed Tynaulin is starting in the AHL for Arizona's team. Good thing there will be room for him to make the NHL if he does well at the AHL level.

As to Lafreniere there may be other issues that we are not privy to that may be affecting him. Then again he may have a few flaws that they want to work out.

From what I am seeing there is not a lot of difference in their stats. Again it might be a case that they want an experienced goalie to backstop a learning defence. Killer did that one year when he brought in Weekes to give Hillier some coaching. Not that hillier learned anything.
The difference is that Tremblay has only one year as a starter. Weekes was a 2nd round NHL pick when we acquired him. He was a bonafide #1 goalie. HE only became available because Jamie Storr was a year younger and a 1st round NHL pick in Owen Sound.

We are talking about a marginal goalie with marginal career stats. Just because he is 20 years old doesn’t mean he is experienced. IT just means he is old.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
well I fully believe that if we still had Lazarev we would be in a much better position to excel this year. that trade was the worst move so far in the Boyd era.
our goalies are all backups in my opinion.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Time to trade for Raaymakers from SSM. Goaltending stats are the worst in the league and we have a stockpile of draft picks. Make a move

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
While the Soo are light on picks, and indeed picks are certainly attractive, the picks are not as much of a priority to the Soo at this time. They are in it to win it this year. It has been suggested that they are waiting for a specific player to materialize. That player is not a 67. Unless Ottawa will pay a very high pick premium to entice the Soo, the Soo are likely inclined to stand pat on their hand for now as there is no rush for them. Ottawa will need to wait and see or move on to other goalie options if deemed an immediate necessity.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You know I have to laugh at people on boards no offense to anyone in particular. I remember during the summer everyone saying that thsi should be Lafreniere's team this year and that if he was not going to be the starter he deserved to go where he could be.

Now people seem to be putting him out to dry.

While he has not been good you can also say that the defense has not given him the tools.

This is by all accounts a building team. Lot's of new players lots of second-year players and no real senior leaders. There is as far as I can see no one that has set himself out to be a leader. You have a brand new coaching staff that is still developing their own style on this team.

It is not even a month into the season and you are pushing the panic button.

RELAX! Enjoy the fact that you have a good team. The years of Killer having teams that always were high skill and working is over. Hell even he wasn't a star coach his first year.

As to trades, sorry but teams do not make trades good or bad in the first month they need to see exactly what they have and other teams need to see what the other teams have. That is why most trades happen near the mid break. Teams know if they are going to compete or what they need for the future.

Any trade now is a crap shoot and these guys do not gamble.

heavydutybear

Oct 12, 2017
Lafreniere not dressed again tonight and Andree dressed getting no development as a back up. Did Tremblay get promised playing time from previous coaching under Tourigny?
Lafreniere a healthy scratch. How long before trade request?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Lafreniere not dressed again tonight and Andree dressed getting no development as a back up. Did Tremblay get promised playing time from previous coaching under Tourigny?
Lafreniere a healthy scratch. How long before trade request?

with all due respect, lafreniere needs to play better before worrying about sitting. he can ask for a trade, but who picks up a 19 year old who isnt good enough to start?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
The team is starting to look really good, I'm seeing steady improvements from all of the D, and the young forwards are making an impact but not necessarily on the scoresheet. Graeme Clarke has an absolutely incredible shot.

There are a few OA's available all of a sudden. Does it make sense to add an OA forward? Quite honestly, I'm not sure if there's anybody readily available that can upgrade the top 6.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The team is starting to look really good, I'm seeing steady improvements from all of the D, and the young forwards are making an impact but not necessarily on the scoresheet. Graeme Clarke has an absolutely incredible shot.

There are a few OA's available all of a sudden. Does it make sense to add an OA forward? Quite honestly, I'm not sure if there's anybody readily available that can upgrade the top 6.

I am not sure who is available but if the team stays as is, I think they are in that 4-5 slot in the Conference. So, it comes down to whether the organization wants to be more than that and are willing to spend to get there.

I have made my opinions known. I think using an OA spot for a marginal goalie is bad management. Goalies are usually fairly cheap to pick up if you are looking for one outside the Top 5 in the league. Really good available OA goalies come in at around a 4th or 5th round pick.

I still think we need a bonafide centre. That can come from an OA spot. I also think we need a #2 D-Man to help stretch out the lineup. If that player suits up beside Hoef then it pushes Bahl to the 2nd pairing. By all accounts, Stratis has played fairly well which is good. Okhotyuk will fit in sooner or later. So, that is Five guys that anchor your top 6.

So, if a top 2 line OA centre and a top pairing OA D-Man becomes available, we really need to question why we have a bottom third of the league starting OA goalie. Until then, I guess if we have open OA spots, who cares if one of those spots is taken by a goalie.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You know I have to laugh at people on boards no offense to anyone in particular. I remember during the summer everyone saying that thsi should be Lafreniere's team this year and that if he was not going to be the starter he deserved to go where he could be.

Now people seem to be putting him out to dry.

While he has not been good you can also say that the defense has not given him the tools.

This is by all accounts a building team. Lot's of new players lots of second-year players and no real senior leaders. There is as far as I can see no one that has set himself out to be a leader. You have a brand new coaching staff that is still developing their own style on this team.

It is not even a month into the season and you are pushing the panic button.

RELAX! Enjoy the fact that you have a good team. The years of Killer having teams that always were high skill and working is over. Hell even he wasn't a star coach his first year.

As to trades, sorry but teams do not make trades good or bad in the first month they need to see exactly what they have and other teams need to see what the other teams have. That is why most trades happen near the mid break. Teams know
if they are going to compete or what they need for the future.

Any trade now is a crap shoot and these guys do not gamble.
I think you are mistaking posters writting him off (aside from a few) from posters observing that the team (coaches etc) seem to have downgraded him. I guess the brass don't like what they see in practice otherwise I can't explain it. Obviously they feel Tremblay/Andree are better or they would not be playing. I did think this was Lafreniere's year but not happening for whatever reason.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Great win today against a very tough team, glad to see the team's character shine through after a bad game in Sudbury. Happy for Olivier Lafreniere who comes in and pitches a perfect game in relief! Also glad to see Mitch Hoelscher finally have some of his hard work pay off and get on the scoresheet- he's been better this year than his stats indicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad