Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
All of the mock drafts that I've seen show us taking Graeme Clarke, an outstanding local goal scorer. That being said, I don't think a mock draft has ever nailed down the 67's actual pick in the few years I've been noticing!

IMO, I'd love to take a player who doesn't want to report and flip them for picks and grab a compensation pick next year. Theoretically, we could trade player X for 3 X 2nd's and 3 x 3rd's and then flip those picks for two impact players for next year or as part of a package for a superstar next year (Logan Brown, etc).

This way, we end up with two first rounders on our team when we should theoretically peak in 2018-19 much like Niagara did last year; even if we go all in that year, we will have two outstanding pieces to build around for the 2021-22 season. To OMG's earlier point, Jeff Brown the GM seems to understand win cycles well and this would play into a plan to take a shot at winning it all.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All of the mock drafts that I've seen show us taking Graeme Clarke, an outstanding local goal scorer. That being said, I don't think a mock draft has ever nailed down the 67's actual pick in the few years I've been noticing!

IMO, I'd love to take a player who doesn't want to report and flip them for picks and grab a compensation pick next year. Theoretically, we could trade player X for 3 X 2nd's and 3 x 3rd's and then flip those picks for two impact players for next year or as part of a package for a superstar next year (Logan Brown, etc).

This way, we end up with two first rounders on our team when we should theoretically peak in 2018-19 much like Niagara did last year; even if we go all in that year, we will have two outstanding pieces to build around for the 2021-22 season. To OMG's earlier point, Jeff Brown the GM seems to understand win cycles well and this would play into a plan to take a shot at winning it all.

If we did that, it would need to be a part of a bigger plan. The 16 year old first rounders don't typically make an impact until their 17 year old season. So, if we did that, the season we would try to gear up for would be the 2019-2020 season. That cycles out our current 17 year olds. Hoef, Keating and Chmelevski all should be NHL picks so you can't expect any of those to be OA's. So, we'd be in a SELLER cycle for a few years.

Turcotte and Bertuzzi would be the two players to try it with but Guelph may just pick BErtuzzi anyway at #2 and many think Niagara will run at Turcotte. So, we may not have one of those players available to us.

The issue I have with Graeme Clark is we need a centre and he is a winger. We need size and he is small. He would be an impact player though as a winger. He may fit in right away on a top 2 line with guys like Barron and Felhaber. My understanding is he scored over 70 goals this year playing with Hughes. I remember the last time we took a big goal scorer that played witht he projected 1st overall pick....TOFFOLI.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hockey Prospects rating for the draft are out. Graeme Clarke who is the 67's pick in many mocks, rated 23rd so might be a reach at #6. On another note appears to be growing now listed at 5'11" and 163 lbs.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Shocking.

After handing out 5 and 10 games for much less harmful offences, the OHL comes up with this. A deliberate attempt to injure on a pinned opponent gets two games. That is certainly convenient and explains the "indefinite" mention on the web site. Waiting for the series to be over so they could whitewash the thing.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
As per OHL media notes Hague two game suspension! Incredible.

I guess Branch doesn't have the balls to suspend in playoffs. He is so heavy handed on suspensions during the season. Steege gets 8, and Hague gets 2, un-freeking believable. I know playoff games are more important, but does that suspension really deter someone from doing the same thing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I guess Branch doesn't have the balls to suspend in playoffs. He is so heavy handed on suspensions during the season. Steege gets 8, and Hague gets 2, un-freeking believable. I know playoff games are more important, but does that suspension really deter someone from doing the same thing.

No...

It will be settled on the ice next year with teeth getting picked up off the ice...

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Sure he does. He suspended Flint's top scorer and the league's 7th overall scorer 5 games for calling someone a name. I'm sure that's way worse than whatever Hague did. I'm gonna go and try to find video of the incident, but just in case I come up empty handed...anybody have a link to it?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sure he does. He suspended Flint's top scorer and the league's 7th overall scorer 5 games for calling someone a name. I'm sure that's way worse than whatever Hague did. I'm gonna go and try to find video of the incident, but just in case I come up empty handed...anybody have a link to it?

Go on Twitter. The person who posted it was @msconduct

The link is also on the Ottawa 67's Season thread

The 5 game suspension is for calling someone a F*G. That is an automatic. There is a mandatory Gross Misconduct and five game suspension for calling someone out based on sexual orientation, race or religion, even if the name they applied to the person doesn't match them. The players all know this and it is part of their orientation pre-season. So the kids know that if they use any of those key words they get the hatchet.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another kid we forgot about is Thomas Tinmouth. He isn't very big but he produced quite well in the OJHL for Stofville. The top scorers on that team were all 19 and 20. He led all other players under age 19 in scoring for his team GP49 15-13-28. HE was a hilighted prospect in last years OHL Prospects Preview. He outscored McShane on the MArlies AAA Minor Midget team last year. I can't find any info on him committing to NCAA so I assume he will be in camp next fall.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Go on Twitter. The person who posted it was @msconduct

The link is also on the Ottawa 67's Season thread

The 5 game suspension is for calling someone a F*G. That is an automatic. There is a mandatory Gross Misconduct and five game suspension for calling someone out based on sexual orientation, race or religion, even if the name they applied to the person doesn't match them. The players all know this and it is part of their orientation pre-season. So the kids know that if they use any of those key words they get the hatchet.

I get it. AND it makes sense. 5 auto seems harsh and I don't think it'll have any more impact on individuals than 2,5 or 10. If it happens again, give the kid more. If it happens AGAIN? I'm fine with the kid just being gone. I also can't see how it can be enforced with any level of consistency at all unless you position 50 lip readers at games. Yet, actually biting a dude gets two games? Boarding the hell out of a guy and it's just 2 minutes if he's not hurt? I can't believe Hague gets 2 games. That's more my issue. Not so much the Moore suspension but it's comparison to things much more dangerous. I can also think of things I could to say to certain players that would most likely be much more hurtful that may not fall under the rules. Sorry for the hijack, I didn't wanna sound like I'm condoning Moore, just frustrated with the inconsistency in suspensions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I get it. AND it makes sense. 5 auto seems harsh and I don't think it'll have any more impact on individuals than 2,5 or 10. If it happens again, give the kid more. If it happens AGAIN? I'm fine with the kid just being gone. I also can't see how it can be enforced with any level of consistency at all unless you position 50 lip readers at games. Yet, actually biting a dude gets two games? Boarding the hell out of a guy and it's just 2 minutes if he's not hurt? I can't believe Hague gets 2 games. That's more my issue. Not so much the Moore suspension but it's comparison to things much more dangerous. I can also think of things I could to say to certain players that would most likely be much more hurtful that may not fall under the rules. Sorry for the hijack, I didn't wanna sound like I'm condoning Moore, just frustrated with the inconsistency in suspensions.

I remember a while back, Brett Liscomb did the same thing. The difference was he was joking with one of his friends on the opposing team. HE said it jokingly and he got the automatic Gross +5 games. If the ref hears it and can attribute it to a specific player, there is no leeway. Agree or disagree, it makes no difference. It is like the automatic penalty for making physical contact with an official or leaving the bench to fight. Auger left the bench during that play above and didn't even receive a minor penalty for an infraction and he received the Game Misconduct for leaving the bench to start a a fight and the automatic 2 game suspension. In turn the coach got 2 games as well.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012

It kind of confuses me that you would say calling someone a name is worse than what happened, especially if you haven't seen it. As stated, there is a set amount for racial slurs, etc. But we could make this simple, you can call me any name in the book---in return you can put your head a foot from the ice and then let me punch you from on top and drive your head and face into the ground--then you can try to explain which is worse.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
It kind of confuses me that you would say calling someone a name is worse than what happened, especially if you haven't seen it. As stated, there is a set amount for racial slurs, etc. But we could make this simple, you can call me any name in the book---in return you can put your head a foot from the ice and then let me punch you from on top and drive your head and face into the ground--then you can try to explain which is worse.

I think he was just being sarcastic

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
No...

It will be settled on the ice next year with teeth getting picked up off the ice...

I'm sure Hague won't have a problem defending himself. The kid is 6'6 and will be closer to 210 next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm sure Hague won't have a problem defending himself. The kid is 6'6 and will be closer to 210 next year.

You are assuming it would be a straight up fight. I don't think that will be the case. If I were Barron, I'd pull out my wood stick and do some dental work. Whatever suspension happened as a result, so be it.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
You are assuming it would be a straight up fight. I don't think that will be the case. If I were Barron, I'd pull out my wood stick and do some dental work. Whatever suspension happened as a result, so be it.

You do know that Travis Barron was the one who jumped Hague and instigated that fight right? If i'm him I would concentrate on signing with the Colorado Avalanche instead of getting some petty revenge or his hockey career might be as short lived as the 67's playoffs.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
You do know that Travis Barron was the one who jumped Hague and instigated that fight right? If i'm him I would concentrate on signing with the Colorado Avalanche instead of getting some petty revenge or his hockey career might be as short lived as the 67's playoffs.

Not defending the 67's or their horrendous past playoff performances (I'm an Ice Dogs fan) within the past 10 years but really? You live in Mississauga and cheer for a team that's won how many playoff series in their day? :laugh:

BTW who cares who jumped who? The punch was gutless and uncalled for. The Ottawa player was already down and the fight was over!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I said if I were Barron that is what I would do.

I would cheap shot him in a bad way. I bring guns to knife fights.

You cannot defend Hagues actions by suggesting he was instigated upon. That is just silly. That means as long as a player is instigated upon, he can do pretty much whatever he wants once they hit the ice. It becomes WWE time.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/02/ottawa-67s-crash-out-of-playoffs

My takeaways:
1) Brown is very high on Hoelscher and he expects Yule and Bitten to make the team as well (even after the graduation of Steege, White and possibly Tyanulin, if these three are counted as returnees- we would have at least 13 returning forwards)
2) The team plans on picking a Defenceman in the Import draft (Currently slated to return Hoef, Wilson, Auger, Robertson, Stratis, Bahl, possibly Orban and Will Brown)
3) The team plans on picking a Forward in the first round (not a surprise)
4) Brown thinks that there's a chance of Leo and Artur returning (however unlikely this may be)
5) Brown doesn't think next year's team is a Championship contender, maybe a contender for the conference (I don't like hearing this- why limit expectations on what should be a good returning team? )

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/02/ottawa-67s-crash-out-of-playoffs

My takeaways:
1) Brown is very high on Hoelscher and he expects Yule and Bitten to make the team as well (even after the graduation of Steege, White and possibly Tyanulin, if these three are counted as returnees- we would have at least 13 returning forwards)
2) The team plans on picking a Defenceman in the Import draft (Currently slated to return Hoef, Wilson, Auger, Robertson, Stratis, Bahl, possibly Orban and Will Brown)
3) The team plans on picking a Forward in the first round (not a surprise)
4) Brown thinks that there's a chance of Leo and Artur returning (however unlikely this may be)
5) Brown doesn't think next year's team is a Championship contender, maybe a contender for the conference (I don't like hearing this- why limit expectations on what should be a good returning team? )

Wel, this "plan" has so many flaws.

1> I don't have an issue with the three rookies mentioned getting opportunities to make the team. Thomas Tinmouth is another possible player too. He played well for Stofville this season as a 16 year old. He was our third round pick behind Hoelscher in last year's draft.
2> Picking a D-Man in the Import draft is fine as long as it is a 19 year old. But, if it is another 17 year old then we may as well count that pick as a waste. With what we have returning, it doesn't make much sense in including Will Brown in the mix. If the Import is a 19 year old, it may not make sense to include Orban. Although, he did impress me a little more in the 2nd half and his partnership with Stratis was solid down the stretch.
3> Obviously they will go with a forward in the first round.
4> Leo returning would be completely unfair for Lafreniere and if that happens, Lafreniere will demand a trade. It is not like Leo is that great that we need him as an OA. He has his moments but he flops around out of position so much it actually hurts us a lot. There is a chance of Artur returning IF he feels that returning may give him more of an opportunity of playing NHL.
5> This is not a championship contender. But if Artur returns, we pick an impact 19 year old Import D-Man, acquire an additional OA D-Man that can play as our #1 then maybe we can challenge for the Conference. Who knows how that places us within the league.

First, I doubt they pick anything other than a 17 year old Import. That has been their MO for the past few years. That player will struggle to crack our defense with all the returning D-Men. For them to say they are taking a D-Man in the Import draft suggests they already have their man chosen and signed in pencil. Second, I doubt Tyanulin returns.

We shall see what transpires but I am not holding my breath that this team will be a contender for the conference let alone the league. Too many things need to fall into place for them to be 'that' team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->