Confirmed with Link: [OTT/STL] Sens acquire Ben Bishop for 2nd 2013, signed to 1yr ext

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Madison*

All I know is, I am really glad that 15 pages of hypothetical Lehner talk, turned into nothing. Exactly what most figured would happen, did indeed.

You don't think Lehner showed he is an NHL caliber goaltender? You don't think he's going to force management to make a decision in the very near future.

I've already made the bet with someone else but I would lay odds on Anderson not making it to year 3 of his contract.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray has done a phenomenal job this yr improving the areas of deficiency on this team regardless of what it cost to get it done, he improved the team which is what we all want. I'm guessing he isn't finished yet, I expect one or two NCAA free agent signings, the draft & UFA signing this summer still to come this yr. :handclap:

Weakness ............................ Solution

2nd line centre --------------- Turris
puck moving defenceman ---- Gilroy
Goalie depth ------------------ Bishop, maybe draft a goalie, sign a free agent goalie
defensive depth -------------- NCAA free agent D, UFA D, draft a 1st rd defenceman
top 6 forward ----------------- two coming next yr, sign UFA forward, 2012/2013 draft

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I didn't realize PMD was a weakness in our team.

How about defense? How has that been addressed?

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
My friend thinks a 2nd was overpayment for Bishop and that Lehner is ready NOW. I don't think so, it was a good trade and Bishop will be a great backup.

Billy Madison*

What I think doesn't really matter when it comes to the oh-so-distant future. What I knew (as did many others on here) for the immediate future, was that Bishop would be the backup, Anderson the starter and Lehner in the AHL. Which is why I bumped this thread.

If we are going to talk about Anderson not making it to year 3 of his contract, do you mean, will he be the starter for Ottawa in the 2013-14 season? Lehner will have proved much before than - is he ready or not? What I know for sure is, it is very rare for healthy, productive, maybe starting goalies to be traded, mid contract - that is what you are saying is going to happen to Anderson. It doesn't happen much. Bishop and Lehner will force the issue for sure, but to bet that a productive goalie with a contract is traded, that is rare. Odds are against you, and you must have more faith in prospects than is warranted, especially Lehner, who is no where near an NHL mind yet. Can he stop the puck? Yes.

Lehner could still be the guy called up once his season is over. Bishop being the backup for the rest of the season is not written is Stone. It's the right decision to make sure both Lehner and Bishop are playing but Bishop isn't the sure fire backup at this point.

As for Lehner not being an NHL mind... he's closer to be NHL ready mentally than having the mentality needed to play in the AHL. You're right about goaltenders not being traded mid contract a lot but there are guys like Huet, Theodore, Lehtonen, Luongo, to a lesser extent M.Smith and Halak who were legit #1 guys who were indeed traded. Doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.

I think Anderson will be traded before he starts up the 2013/14 season. I think at that point Lehner and Bishop will both be 22 and 28 respectively and will be ready to carry and split the load. You can keep Lehner in the AHL another season and it probably won't hurt but 4, 5 years playing in the AHL when he's clearly capable of playing in the NHL would be regressive and nothing else.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Lehner could still be the guy called up once his season is over. Bishop being the backup for the rest of the season is not written is Stone. It's the right decision to make sure both Lehner and Bishop are playing but Bishop isn't the sure fire backup at this point.

As for Lehner not being an NHL mind... he's closer to be NHL ready mentally than having the mentality needed to play in the AHL. You're right about goaltenders not being traded mid contract a lot but there are guys like Huet, Theodore, Lehtonen, Luongo, to a lesser extent M.Smith and Halak who were legit #1 guys who were indeed traded. Doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.

I think Anderson will be traded before he starts up the 2013/14 season. I think at that point Lehner and Bishop will both be 22 and 28 respectively and will be ready to carry and split the load. You can keep Lehner in the AHL another season and it probably won't hurt but 4, 5 years playing in the AHL when he's clearly capable of playing in the NHL would be regressive and nothing else.

This is true...

However it's more than likely the case that Bishop is back up...

Billy Madison*

No doubt, when Bingo's AHL season is over, shortly after the NHL regular season is, Lehner will be recalled. From there, the only thing that matters is results as to who will backup Anderson in the playoffs. Lehner has that edge so far, but Bishop has lots of time to get comfortable within the organization yet.

As far as Lehner and his mental state. The guy has been groomed for greatness from an early age, I agree that he can stop the puck at any level, but his mind right now isn't able to stay focused (AHL stats) and that would be a disaster during eventual struggles at the NHL level. Just please admit that as good as he is, he still has a lot to learn about what it takes to be what he was raised to be, a superstar in the NHL.

Again, I agree, that next year in the AHL for Lehner will be enough. But, I will not say that you made a good bet with whoever you did, based on the fact that Anderson, and everything that comes with quality goalies under contract, they just don't get traded very often. It is far more likely that Bishop or Lehner would go before Anderson - that is why I don't like your bet, but a lot can happen between now and year 3 of Anderson's contract, so good luck with your gamble.

There's a ton to learn and not once have I implied that he's ready for stardome. I said he is ready for the NHL and he's just about outgrown the AHL. That team in Bingo is embarassing and it's pretty close to impossible to play behind that defense. What's the motivation for Lehner right now playing in Bingo in a 2nd tier city, making minimal money, with all of his teammates from last year playing in the NHL? I'm not saying he's quit I'm saying it's close to impossible to get up for those games.

I don't think there is anyway that Bishop or Lehner is shipped out before Anderson unless one of them proves he can't get the job done in the NHL or is going to be a career backup.

DukeNukem

Jul 17, 2011
I think that Bishop has a 1 way contract that runs through next year. He'll stay up here if that's the case.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
No doubt, when Bingo's AHL season is over, shortly after the NHL regular season is, Lehner will be recalled. From there, the only thing that matters is results as to who will backup Anderson in the playoffs. Lehner has that edge so far, but Bishop has lots of time to get comfortable within the organization yet.

I would be pretty surprised to see Lehner backing up Anderson come playoff time or even replacing him should he, heaven forbid, be unable to go for whatever reason. I don't have a preference and agree Lehner has been a bit better in his few starts than Bishop in his, but it feels like the org thinks he is less ready or perhaps less mature. To me you roll with the goalie that will be in the NHL next year, which is Bishop.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
This we know, Lehner and Bishop will both be will the Sens for the playoffs. Bishop will probably be the guy dressing as the backup.

To deal with your bolded quote, I 100% disagree. You roll with the guy that is gonna win you Game 7, and as it sits right now, that is Lehner. Will Bishop get more comfortable in the next month? Yes. But if we had a game 7 tomorrow, I bet they would call Lehner up tonight, to start that 7th game the next day.

Obviously you roll with the guy who gets you the win, but I think the team chooses Bishop today. Right or wrong decision, i could go either way. Just my feeling but they seem to have him higher on the depth chart which is why he's in the NHL today in the thick of a playoff race.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
My friend thinks a 2nd was overpayment for Bishop and that Lehner is ready NOW. I don't think so, it was a good trade and Bishop will be a great backup.
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but they talked about the Bishop trade during the Buffalo game the other night. They mentioned that 4 teams were in on Bishop at the end and all offered 2nd round picks. They said that Ottawa contacted St. Louis first (quite a while ago) and implied that that is why the Sens were picked as partners in the deal. The early bird....

Billy Madison*

I'm sure it didn't hurt that Chicago, Pittsburgh and Philly are presumed (by most) to have a worse pick in the 2nd round than us. Chicago, being in the same division, rules them out off the bat as well.

It's 2013's though, who's to say Ottawa doesn't win the division next year, they are right in the hunt this year.

They had the Sens 2nd round pick, other teams were weighing their options, they pulled the trigger.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Any one of those three would return a 1st plus right now (Draft and beyond).

I think it was a great move by Murray to increase the depth and competition and it will play itself out over the next two years as Lehner hones his skills.

My only fear is that he asks to be sent to the KHL (Money, ccloser to home, friends) instead of the AHL. His dad coaches a couple of guys in the K. But then he'd not get his chance if there was an injury.

If we had not traded that 2nd we'd probably have drafted a goalie in the 1st or 2nd (there are two good ones available for sure). But now we do not have to spend that pick that way and wait for them to develop to Bishop's readyness level.

I'm sure Tampa would have loved to snag him and probably a few others as well. We were quite lucky.

Three Year Plan and we are finishing Year 1. Its a good upgrade.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Lehner may not like it but the Sens seemed to have decided to be super cautious with his development, and he has at least one more year of the AHL. Bishop backing Anderson next season and Lehner back to Bingo to keep working on his game.

What will be interesting to see is if Bishop looks good next year if the Sens sign him to a longer term one way contract. In that case, something has to give. How long can you bury Lehner in the AHL?

I expect bishop to get a good number of games next season as well. The Auld situation is not healthy with Anderson carrying way to much of the load.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray gave us lots of forward depth at the last draft plus he was able to secure Turris during the yr & with the two Swedes coming next yr we should be solid at forward. By acquiring Bishop he solidified the goaltending for a little while, he might still add to that with a free agent. I expect this draft, summer & even during next season that he will work on defensive depth & acquiring a very good defenceman who can help the team right now. That might have been Gilroy but I'm expecting at least one more NHL defenceman before next yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->