Proposal: OTT-NYI

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Again I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is, but you'd rather poke fun then step up. Here's two things I'd bet you $100 on or more each:

1. Karlsson will be gone from the Senators by July 2019.
  2. Ottawa will be a top-5 worst team in 2018-2019.
Both are possibilities.

Neither are the sure thing you are portraying them to be.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Both are possibilities.

Neither are the sure thing you are portraying them to be.

Yeah...I know that. It's called "gambling" for a reason.

So bet me on both and I'll add in that I'll buy you a Senators Karlsson jersey if he's still on the team at the start of the 2019 season.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah...I know that. It's called "gambling" for a reason.

So bet me on both and I'll add in that I'll buy you a Senators Karlsson jersey if he's still on the team at the start of the 2019 season.
Or you could just present more reasonable positions in the first place...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Or you could just present more reasonable positions in the first place...

Or you could man up and stop distracting from the fact that part of you is very nervous/scared/also believe that Karlsson is gone and the Senators are going to suck this season.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Or you could man up and stop distracting from the fact that part of you is very nervous/scared/also believe that Karlsson is gone and the Senators are going to suck this season.
Umm, I don't need to "man up".

Could those scenarios play out? Sure, but as I (like you) have zero control over what happens, I'm not going to lose a second of sleep over it.

The Sens could also have new ownership and a completely different outlook.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because I called you on your BS. Karlsson won't be traded this summer unless he has agreed to extend. You want to spin fantasy scenarios where EK is traded for a lowball rental cost, but it's not going to happen.

You hope the Sens will suck next year, but that is just one of many possible scenarios. Without an ownership change that is undoubtedly the most likely scenario, but even then the NHL is highly unpredictable.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He’s decided that a while ago

Odd that he keeps saying he wants to stay in Ottawa. Hell, Alfredsson has even come out and said Karlsson would like to stay but thats not all in Karlsson's hands.

Reactions: branch

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Wow that would start Ottawa's rebuild quite nicely. They could draft a zadina/Dobson/Bouchard at 4.
Ty Smith then a Farabee or Veleno or Boqvist with the 11/12th picks. Along with two solid prospects in Bellows and Beauvillier.
Having said all that the Islanders can't trade both those picks especially if they lose Tavares.

I think Tavares would stay if Karlsson became a teammate.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Even with an extension, that's a steep price to pay, as great as he is. That extension will likely make him the highest paid dman in the league. Add to that a new Tavares contract also near the top, and that means probable cap trouble. Replace either Bellows or Beauvillier with Boychuk and it might work.

Reactions: IODCPiper

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
NYI: Karlsson

OTT: 11th OVR, 12th OVR, 43rd OVR, Kieffer Bellows, Anthony Beauvillier

Gets NYI a star defenseman and shows Tavares they are doing everything they can to win.

Starts Ottawa’s rebuild with 2 great picks as well as a second rounder and gives them the option to give the 4th overall to COL and go for Hughes next season.
As long as sens add Chabot

Reactions: periferal

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Karlsson with Tavares and Barzal = contender. Karlsson if moved would clearly have an extension in place. If the Islanders don't want to be contenders that's fine, someone else will step up for the bidding war that would occur.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Umm, I don't need to "man up".

Could those scenarios play out? Sure, but as I (like you) have zero control over what happens, I'm not going to lose a second of sleep over it.

The Sens could also have new ownership and a completely different outlook.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because I called you on your BS. Karlsson won't be traded this summer unless he has agreed to extend. You want to spin fantasy scenarios where EK is traded for a lowball rental cost, but it's not going to happen.

You hope the Sens will suck next year, but that is just one of many possible scenarios. Without an ownership change that is undoubtedly the most likely scenario, but even then the NHL is highly unpredictable.

How do you "call someone on their BS" when they're making a prediction?

Personally I think it's too painful for you to consider how bad it's going to be in Ottawa for at least this upcoming season. But go ahead and keep playing Devil's Advocate. Basically the only think that'll make you feel better.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How do you "call someone on their BS" when they're making a prediction?

Personally I think it's too painful for you to consider how bad it's going to be in Ottawa for at least this upcoming season. But go ahead and keep playing Devil's Advocate. Basically the only think that'll make you feel better.
You were stating your predictions as facts. Pointing that out is calling you on your BS.

And dealing with the tire fire that Melnyk has created is painful, but he'll either sell soon or be forced out by the fans.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You were stating your predictions as facts. Pointing that out is calling you on your BS.

Once again - Incorrect. Not sure why you cannot understand that these are my STRONG BELIEFS. So much so that I'm willing to bet you money that they happen. You're completely misconstruing my confidence in those beliefs as facts, but by their nature nothing that happens in the future can be stated as a fact. I mean really.

The ironic thing is I think there's a part of you that also believes those two things will happen, but instead of facing that you'd rather get upset with me.

So again...Predictions based on beliefs are not facts. Own it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Once again - Incorrect. Not sure why you cannot understand that these are my STRONG BELIEFS. So much so that I'm willing to bet you money that they happen. You're completely misconstruing my confidence in those beliefs as facts, but by their nature nothing that happens in the future can be stated as a fact. I mean really.

The ironic thing is I think there's a part of you that also believes those two things will happen, but instead of facing that you'd rather get upset with me.

So again...Predictions based on beliefs are not facts. Own it.
I'm not upset with you in the slightest. In fact you are providing some amusement.

You need to understand the difference between stating something as a fact and making a prediction. As a hint, try phrases like "I believe" or "It seems likely" before you regale us with your Nostradamus schtick.

Hope this helps!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I really think the team is gonna tack Bobby on to Karlsson, so any big package of assets for Karlsson seems like a waste of time. One of the better offers I've seen on these boards if it came down to it though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Karlsson with Tavares and Barzal = contender. Karlsson if moved would clearly have an extension in place. If the Islanders don't want to be contenders that's fine, someone else will step up for the bidding war that would occur.
Gotta love the "overpay to show your team is serious about being a contender " angle :rolleyes:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm not upset with you in the slightest. In fact you are providing some amusement.

You need to understand the difference between stating something as a fact and making a prediction. As a hint, try phrases like "I believe" or "It seems likely" before you regale us with your Nostradamus schtick.

Hope this helps!

giphy.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
NYI needs an extension for such a massive package.

Unfortunately, since a contract cannot be finalized until July 01st (after the draft), they would have to assume EK would have a verbal commitment which is unlikely. So the multiple NYI 1sts will be out of the Sens control. This would be a really tough trade for so many pieces. EK has no connection with the team. They're rebuilding. Tavares status is uncertain.

Sens would be well positioned if they can make this deal, but it would be tough. NYI would be hesitant after the Vanek trade fiasco in 2013. If there is any deal, it's likely early into the season.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Bottom line is that it's going to be a very dark year in Ottawa. It's about putting out the flames at this point and setting themselves up for the future.
Try re-reading this post and see which one of us "just doesn't get it".

Stated as FACT, not prediction.

Hope this helps, but I'm starting to lose faith in you...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad