Value of: OTT/Montreal

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Weber + 2019 1st + Conditional 2020 1st (if EK Signs) + Lindgren for E.K

OR

Patches/Weber for Ryan/E.K (that one's self explanatory)

Before everyone flames and says Karly > Weber

Yeah, I know.

But think about how stupid both of these teams General Managers are for a moment.

Ottawa get a worse player (but let's be honest, as of today, Weber is still an elite #1 D-Man, and can actually play DEFENSE properly) but extend their "cup window" an extra two or three years because Weber is signed long term. Weber brings a lot to the team in dressing room value and leadership, and with Erik likely on the way out, the Senators cannot afford to sell him for picks or prospects, they need impact players. They still get draft picks so they aren't falling apart in three or four seasons. Also worth noting, they get a solid goaltending prospect (which they really need)

Montreal it's a win/win (with a bit of loss) because Erik will make the team a lot better offensively for the next two years. If he chooses not to resign, Habs give up Weber (which will hurt, but it's a ton of salary relief) and a 1st as well as Lindgren, but life goes on.

Both teams stay relatively neutral for the next two seasons. After that, it's a 50/50 for the Habs, but the Senators extend their window. Weber is an expensive player, but the cap hit between E.K this year and Weber is only $1,000,000 --- His extension is likely to be 10-12 million, so they get a more cost-efficient Elite D-Man.

Discuss.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'd do it, but I think thats way more than what other teams would offer for karlsson, so I doubt he would cost that much

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
You're going to get destroyed because it's Karlsson, but that's honestly an overpayment. The difference between Weber and Karlsson isn't 2 first rounders and the habs best goalie after Price.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
EDIT - I had said that Melnyk wouldn't pay Shea Weber's salary, but it looks like his salary is a lot lower than his cap hit at this point in the contract.

Melnyk will also not give Pacioretty the big raise he will have coming when he has to also extend (or lose) Duchene, Brassard and Hoffman, as well as RFAs Stone and Ceci. All while paying Shea Weber.

TL/DR - Melnyk shouldn't own a hockey team.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Suzuki

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What about Weber + Lindgren + (2020 Conditional 1st if he resigns to Montreal) for E.K

Yea I'd do it
What I mean is I doubt any other team offers a value near as big as Weber (at least quality wise)
So if Ottawa insists on trading Karlsson, I think Weber will be more than enough

Melnyk will not allow the possibility of paying Shea Weber that much money for that long as he slowly declines due to age.

Melnyk will also not give Pacioretty the big raise he will have coming when he has to also extend (or lose) Duchene, Brassard and Hoffman, as well as RFAs Stone and Ceci. All while paying Shea Weber.

TL/DR - Melnyk shouldn't own a hockey team.

Weber is only going to get paid 6 million in actual salary for each of the next 4 years. Then it drops even further.
In comparison, Melnyk would probably have to pay Karlsson over 12 million in actual salary
He would be saving a ton of money

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The Weber+ for Karlsson base, as crazy as it sounds like, seems honestly like a possible win-win if EK is implying he won't re-sign with the Sens.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Weber is only going to get paid 6 million in actual salary for each of the next 4 years. Then it drops even further.
In comparison, Melnyk would probably have to pay Karlsson over 12 million in actual salary
He would be saving a ton of money
Hmm. That's actually more reasonable than I thought it was. Especially the $$$ dropping below $6M as early as 2022.

You've changed my mind on Weber to OTT. Still feel Pacioretty to OTT is a bad fit (due to actual $$$).

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Habs fans, you would not get Karlsson for Weber. They are not undoing the mistake Bergevin made when he traded Subban for Weber

Reactions: branch

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It's not about making up for the Subban-Weber trade. It's about Ottawa trading for a cheaper, long-term option with all the uncertainty regarding Karlsson.

Cheaper and significantly worse defenseman. Don’t give me that “he actually defends” crap, Weber really isn’t all that great. People need to stop equating physicality with good defensive play.

We could easily get a better deal elsewhere.

Reactions: Spazkat and branch

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Cheaper and significantly worse defenseman. Don’t give me that “he actually defends” crap, Weber really isn’t all that great. People need to stop equating physicality with good defensive play.

We could easily get a better deal elsewhere.

Weber is still a minute-munching dman who plays against tough competition every night, and gets his job done. Obviously he isn't a gamechanger a la Karlsson, not even nearly when EK gets it going, but he's very reliable and still has that wicked shot that makes him an offensive threat. Weber would be a safe replacement option for Karlsson if there was a Karlsson trade happening although he lacks a lot compared to Karlsson in his transition game.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Lmfao to both Karlsson to MTL and for Weber +

Terrible trade from Ottawa's pov and not even close to realistic

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
It's not about making up for the Subban-Weber trade. It's about Ottawa trading for a cheaper, long-term option with all the uncertainty regarding Karlsson.

And the cheaper long term option we would choose is Shea f***ing Weber? Haha give your head a shake

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm sorry but what? If Ottawa trades Karlsson, they are packing it in and acknowledging they aren't cup contenders. So why trade for your largest asset ever for a declining, overpriced d-man who is just past his prime years? I don't understand why Ottawa wants Weber....

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Weber + 2019 1st + Conditional 2020 1st (if EK Signs) + Lindgren for E.K

Ottawa get a worse player (but let's be honest, as of today, Weber is still an elite #1 D-Man, and can actually play DEFENSE properly) but extend their "cup window" an extra two or three years because Weber is signed long term. Weber brings a lot to the team in dressing room value and leadership, and with Erik likely on the way out, the Senators cannot afford to sell him for picks or prospects, they need impact players. They still get draft picks so they aren't falling apart in three or four seasons. Also worth noting, they get a solid goaltending prospect (which they really need)
Discuss.

It's this paragraph that confuses me to no end. If EK is traded, it is not going to be because the Sens are looking to extend their cup window. It will be the exact opposite, a complete tear down rebuild. If you had watched the Sens the past 2ish seasons it would become very apparent that this team runs through Karlsson. They live and die most nights based on his performance. There are no game-breakers up front in the forward corps, there are talented players but EK is the one driving the ship.

A trade for Weber solves zero of the Sens problems, it would only exaggerate them if they were going to "extend their cup window" in this scenario. If the day comes where the Sens trade Karlsson, the return would include a D-man (whether elite prospect or established D-man) that is younger than Karlsson, not older. The picks are whatever and Charlie Lindgren doesn't move the needle at all.

This trade makes zero sense from an Ottawa perspective. Montreal would not be the trading partner if EK was ever moved.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
karlsson isn't even worth weber and lindgren

this would be just like the subban trade.....whats the point?

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
And the cheaper long term option we would choose is Shea ****ing Weber? Haha give your head a shake
Shea weber has 8 years left on his deal. His cap hit is nearly 8 million. His actual cost over those 8 years is 30 million. That's less than 4 million per year in actual spending

Your owner is cheap. He isn't at the bottom of nhl cap expenditure like he was a few years ago but he does care about how much he spends on his team.

Shea Weber at less than 4 million may look very tempting to him. Mind you there would have to be players and picks added to Weber but as a basis for a trade it could work

In a equal and fair nhl Ottawa keeps Karlsson, every team spends the same budget, travel time is the same for every team, and each nhl team has their players taxed at the same amount. It isn't though.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I don't think it's a fit for either team.
I don't understand the Weber hate. Still only 32. Players like him who don't rely on speed in their game tend to last longer. Will probably be effective for another 4 years then settle as a #4. At that point, yess he'll be way overpaid.
Like someone said, take out Karlsson from Ottawa's team and they are nothing. They won't win anything without him and Weber brings them nothing. He won't improve their team. If they trade Karlsson, it HAS to be for futures. But who's going to pay a big prospect for Karlsson, knowing he's going to ask for 11 millions + in one year? That's a tough pill to swallow.

Edmonton is one team that should be all-in. They have a kid like Puljujarvi who probably holds a great value. The season is still young and with Karlsson, they could completely turn it around. I don't know Edmonton's cap space, but there is probably something that can be done.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ottawa might trade Karlsson but it won't be to Montreal, it'd also cost a lot more than Patches and Weber to trade him as well.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Erik Karlsson to Columbus ... Zach Werenski + 1st rd pick 18 to Ottawa

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad