Confirmed Trade: [OTT/LA] Phaneuf (25% Retained) + Thompson for Gaborik + Shore

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I think both teams won the trade because both teams got rid of players they didn't want.
Phaneuf isn't as bad as he was in Ottawa because he isn't playing as a #2 Dman. In LA, he is our #4 and doesn't have to play against the other teams top guys. Which raises his game.

Doughty
Muzzin
Martinez
Phaneuf

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
phaneuf playing well, thompson a huge upgrade over shore and they got rid of gaborik. huge win for the kings.

I don’t know that Thompson is a huge upgrade over Shore, but if Phaneuf can out-produce Gaborik, then this trade is shockingly good for the Kings. He’s already solidified, and perhaps settled, our defense. It reminds me of the Robyn Regehr trade, to be honest.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Also helps that Phaneuf only needs to log 18 mins/night in LA, some of it PP time. Keeps his energy up.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
MacDermid is in the minors right now. Phaneuf is no better than any defenseman on the Kings roster. He’s been an absolute tire fire this season.

3 goals in 4 games thus far (of which the kings are 3-1)
18+ mins in 3 of the 4 games

your take is not looking to good thus far

Reactions: KingTrouty

Winger23

May 3, 2007
He was still a tire fire before the trade and how he plays now doesn’t change that.

Maybe it has to do with playing on a team that focuses more on defense so he's not being asked to stand on his head and to just play his game.

Likewise, gaborik might actually score some goals playing on a team more focused on offense so his floating will go more unoticed.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
there's no way we're retaining and taking Gaborik lol One of the two+asset heading to OTT
dude lmao.
2ALg3pB.gif

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well, looks like he finally dialed his shot in.
I wish he did that when he was in TO. He'd probably still be there.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Also helps that Phaneuf only needs to log 18 mins/night in LA, some of it PP time. Keeps his energy up.

This exactly. He was much better for us last season for this reason. Once we lost Methot, and Borowiecki and Wideman missed significant time, he got more minutes/responsibility and went downhill, taking Ceci with him. If LA only uses him as a #4, he will excel.

I still think it is and will be a win win for both teams. Glad he's doing well.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Honestly, if anything this is starting to make me question Guy Boucher and what's going on in Ottawa.

Turris left and immediately went PPG for something like 17 games I think it was.

Phaneuf left and has 3 goals in 4 games.

Duchene arrived and had 6 points in 24 games.

Maybe it's just coincidence but the data is starting to pile up.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Honestly, if anything this is starting to make me question Guy Boucher and what's going on in Ottawa.

Turris left and immediately went PPG for something like 17 games I think it was.

These things happen sometimes. Hemsky was almost a point a game guy for Ottawa in the last 20 games of a season. Peter Mueller put up 20 points in 15 games after being traded by Phoenix to Colorado. He only had 17 points in 54 games before the trade.

There are lots of other example I’m sure. Besides, it’s not surprising Turris did well at first in Nashville. He’s a good player.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
These things happen sometimes. Hemsky was almost a point a game guy for Ottawa in the last 20 games of a season. Peter Mueller put up 20 points in 15 games after being traded by Phoenix to Colorado. He only had 17 points in 54 games before the trade.

There are lots of other example I’m sure. Besides, it’s not surprising Turris did well at first in Nashville. He’s a good player.

Yeah you're right, maybe it's just the excitement of joining a new team. Good points.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

Turris has like 5 points in his last 17 or 18 games or something like that and Duchene has been above ppg in this stretch.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Canes will gladly send you can't play no mo Scott Darling.

Kings are actually very good at fixing goalies. Heck they may have turned Jack Campbell into an NHL back up, Dallas fan would have told you his career is finished.

And there is no way Phaneuf keeps up this pace, but he is a very solid 2nd pairing D man, and you can see how his presence has allowed guys to be slotted where they need to be. To get a 2nd pairing D man for almost nothing, is not easy to do in the NHL

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Turris has like 5 points in his last 17 or 18 games or something like that and Duchene has been above ppg in this stretch.

People like to immediately anoint a winner even though it has been proven time and time again to be a very poor thing to do...add in it's cool to crap on anything Sens related, Ottawa fans saw it with the Turris trade and now it's being done here.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Salary aside...

Sens defence looks much worse without Phaneuf, lacking the physicality. All the best, this guy was a key contributor to last season's run to ECF.

Best of luck to Phaneuf, can't really complain about his tenure with the Sens.

LA gets a veteran, physical mid-pairing defenceman who can still bring it.

Really, this is all you needed to know. The Sens suck, but their players don't. Ownership? Management? Coaching? Karlsson's injury (an obvious factor in the worst season of his career).

What's definite is that the players abandoned Boucher's system after coming back from Sweden.

Phaneuf can still bring it as a solid #4. Battle tested veteran who is hard to play against and still has a good shot.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
People like to immediately anoint a winner even though it has been proven time and time again to be a very poor thing to do...add in it's cool to crap on anything Sens related, Ottawa fans saw it with the Turris trade and now it's being done here.

Uh.......but it's TRUE. The Sens are a complete mess, and they've made a few horrendous trades this year to make it all worse.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Uh.......but it's TRUE. The Sens are a complete mess, and they've made a few horrendous trades this year to make it all worse.

Hey anyone can talk anything into being true in their own minds, doesn't mean it's actually correct...the value is in the person providing the opinion and here it is less than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->