OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Depends on what you're asking if you're wrong about.

Did he leave the Colts out to dry? Yes (though I don't really care for Indy, so I'm not up-in-arms about that). Was it dickish of him to not even call the Assistant Coaches that he had been assembling either before telling Indy he was not going to take the job (or call them immediately after)? It sure was. Are you right in this insistence that he hasn't learned from his mistakes, from a pure coaching standpoint? No, there I think you're more likely to be wrong (again, I'm not speaking to his personality or anything, which I would agree that he comes off as an arrogant prick).

But I think the guy has obvious talents at coaching the offensive side of the football. You've been prattling on here and on the football forum over him in an unusually obsessive manner. I personally find it kind of fascinating. I mean I get why Denver fans are going to have a natural dislike of him, the guy came in and was an absolute train wreck of a head coach w/ roster control. Absolutely abysmal. But come on man, is it not time to just move on to the "I don't really care what that guy does, it doesn't concern me or my team" phase? Denver has seen a pretty good amount of success since he left, including a Super Bowl victory.

I mean, is he at least paying you rent for the space he clearly occupies in your head? :sarcasm:

(I'm merely joking here, but for real--he's a non-factor to the Broncos at this point, they've moved on and have had success)
I feel extraordinarily vindicated after yesterday and brightened by the confirmation that he will be there to run that Pats into the ground in a year or two and give the worst fan base in the league a brutal lesson in reality after the renewed gas lighting about his needlessly complex play calling and development of QBs.

It's like not enjoying the Canucks suffering.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I feel extraordinarily vindicated after yesterday and brightened by the confirmation that he will be there to run that Pats into the ground in a year or two and give the worst fan base in the league a brutal lesson in reality after the renewed gas lighting about his needlessly complex play calling and development of QBs.

Ok, so the answer to the question I asked is a resounding "No"? I mean more power to you, but again, I find it curious that you expend so much energy on someone that is clearly a non-factor to the Denver Broncos. I mean it's obvious that you wouldn't be going on and on about this if he never coached the Broncos, because I don't see you making the same type of comments about Matt Patricia and the Lions (or if you are, not nearly to the degree as McDaniels).

But genuinely, keep going, it's not really a bother. I was legitimately curious as to why you spend so much time talking about him. I don't know him personally (obviously), but from what I can gather I don't think I'd call him a friend if I did.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

to be fair, while you were right about his character and ego (and i, among others, were very much wrong), he still does have bright offensive mind and there aren't many better coaches that jimmy G could have learned from.. assuming the lessons were strictly football.

i'm not 100% sure he'll run the pats to the ground but i'd feel delighted if that piece of shit failed spectacularly.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I suppose one could say in the long run that McDaniels was good for the Broncos...it proved that Ellis should stick to the business side of things and stay there and eventually led to Elway taking over. Also, while the whole Jay Cutler fiasco could not have been handled worse, the team was right to part ways with him.

As the Deadspin article accurately states, there was no reason whatsoever for the Colts to jump the gun and announce the signing before anything had actually been signed. They are an inept organization and will continue to be so, I have little to no sympathy for them. I think most Broncos fans could tell them they likely dodged a bullet.

That said there is no excuse whatsoever for what McDaniels did. It was a dick move of the highest order, but I can't imagine why they expected anything honorable coming out of an organization that has been morally bankrupt for decades. I think there's good reason why the "Bellichick Coaching Tree" is about as healthy as a pine in the mountains suffering from advanced beetle rot. The yahoos to come out of there have all been arrogant pricks with little to no ability to listen or empathize with others. And I for one cannot wait until McDaniels takes over and runs that organization into the ground even worse than he did with the Broncos in less than two years.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Ok, so the answer to the question I asked is a resounding "No"? I mean more power to you, but again, I find it curious that you expend so much energy on someone that is clearly a non-factor to the Denver Broncos. I mean it's obvious that you wouldn't be going on and on about this if he never coached the Broncos, because I don't see you making the same type of comments about Matt Patricia and the Lions (or if you are, not nearly to the degree as McDaniels).
Oh I think he'll be another failure like all the other Pats Coordinators and Back ups that perplexingly someone always thinks is going to be the next great touting that New England pedigree. The unfortunate part is unlike the rest of the Small Pox infested Hoodies he won't be destroying an AFC team with does has a tangible benefit for the Broncos... and when it happens to the Pats in a year or two, humankind.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
to be fair, while you were right about his character and ego (and i, among others, were very much wrong), he still does have bright offensive mind and there aren't many better coaches that jimmy G could have learned from.. assuming the lessons were strictly football.
We heard that about Cassell, Orton, Tebow et al. Kyle Shannahan has a better track record developing QBs and now he won't get any credit for it.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Cavs had a busy day at the deadline.

Players going out:
Isaiah Thomas
Dwyane Wade
Jae Crowder
Iman Shumpert
Derrick Rose
Channing Frye

Players coming in:
George Hill
Rodney Hood
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We heard that about Cassell, Orton, Tebow et al. Kyle Shannahan has a better track record developing QBs and now he won't get any credit for it.

shanahan should get credit, unless garoppolo for some reason doesn't develop at all from what he is now. kyle is one reason i was high on him before he even played a game for 49ers (along with his showings with the pats). he wanted him or carr at the '14 draft when he was browns OC. got manziel instead. lol.

cassell had pretty solid year for a guy (though with great weapons) who hadn't been starter as QB aince high school, almost decade prior. orton had one of his or the best year under josh. tebow... i think that was more GM than coaching issue and mcdaniels though the will make it work because he's just that smart.

none of them had the same traits and production with limited and poor weapons and garoppolo has had. hoyer is a decent backup, had better weapons (healthy garcon and starting RT) and knew the scheme and was terrible. garoppolo took over with limited knowledge of the scheme that took even vets like matt ryan one year to master and played like one of the best QBs in the league with crappy weapons.

garoppolo is obviously talented QB and was that before mcdaniels had even seen him but he's developed a lot since being drafted and so far, most credit should go to mcdaniels. though i'm kind of hoping that boosts his ego even more, if possible and when he gets full control of the pats, we'll see something similar as in denver 09-10.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't wait until the Patriots give McDaniels the keys to the kingdom. The Patriots are in for a lot of suffering when that happens but hey, they've had more than enough success that I wouldn't mind not seeing them win another playoff game for 20 years.

member 116861

Cavs had a busy day at the deadline.

Players going out:
Isaiah Thomas
Dwyane Wade
Jae Crowder
Iman Shumpert
Derrick Rose
Channing Frye

Players coming in:
George Hill
Rodney Hood
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr

They have a solid group of guys 1-13 but that might be their biggest fault. A lot of good depth spread out without much elite talent other than Lebron and in the playoffs when you cut down to a 8 man rotation, having good #9,#10,#11,#12 guys doesn't mean much especially when guys #2-5 aren't much better than the rest of the rotation.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Cav's don't enough top end talent. They keep shuffling guys in and out, and the talent level keeps going down. I understand it had to happen, but damn they look primed for Lebron to leave again.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I loved the quote from Lebron when asked about his no trade clause - he said no and that he’s in it for the “long run”.

Yeah sure dude.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The trades today were very good for the Cavs. Got rid of locker room cancers in Thomas and Wade, a useless Derrick Rose and Channing Frye, and a somewhat useful but horrible offensive player in Jae Crowder.

Nance Jr, Clarkson, Hill, and Hood aren't stars but I'd much rather that group of 4 players than the 5 the Cavs traded away today. Younger, way more athletic, and not nearly as cancerous in that locker room. A guy like IT is going down the same path Derrick Rose did a few years ago. Plays well, demands the brinks truck be backed up when it's time for a new deal, gets a major injury, struggles upon return, and will now go into free agency and get a very small "prove it" contract.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Cav's don't enough top end talent. They keep shuffling guys in and out, and the talent level keeps going down. I understand it had to happen, but damn they look primed for Lebron to leave again.

Paul George and Lebron are going to LA. Count it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There isn't a chance in hell LeBron goes anywhere near Lonzo/LaVar Ball. He's too smart for that. He's either going to stay in Cleveland or sign with Houston and play with Harden and his buddy CP3.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
There isn't a chance in hell LeBron goes anywhere near Lonzo/LaVar Ball. He's too smart for that. He's either going to stay in Cleveland or sign with Houston and play with Harden and his buddy CP3.
Agreed, before the Ball zoo was in LA I could have seen him going to the Lakers, but he is smart enough to understand that the Ball family disaster is bad news and a negative distraction.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
How about this crazy NFL draft scenario?:

Cleveland signs Cousins.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How about this crazy NFL draft scenario?:

Cleveland signs Cousins.

Honestly if the Browns signed Cousins and then could draft Barkley + another top 5 pick, that could be a franchise changing offseason for them. That could finally propel them to at least getting to 5-6 wins or so.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Watch him go to Toronto where he has a country root for him instead of a city or state. King Canada. Drake's gonna make it happen.

Reactions: cgf

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Honestly if the Browns signed Cousins and then could draft Barkley + another top 5 pick, that could be a franchise changing offseason for them. That could finally propel them to at least getting to 5-6 wins or so.

Yep.

I think it more likely that they would trade that #1 overall pick to either Denver or NYJ for a king's ransom, then draft two of Barkley/Fitzpatrick/whatever-OL-player-they-want at #4 and #5/6 (pick coming back from Denver or NYJ). They'd then have at least another solid pick from either Denver or NYJ this year (2nd rounder, I'd guess - actually, NYJ has two 2nd rounders this year) and a pick in the 2019 draft from Denver or NYJ. Then of course, Cleveland has three 2nd rounders of their own this year.

Cleveland could kill it.

Two years ago, Tennessee traded the #1 overall pick for two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd (with a couple of late picks going back). The initial 1st coming back was #15 not #5/6, so perhaps the return isn't quite this high. But it would be a 1st and a 2nd this year, plus another 1st/2nd round pick next year at least.

If they sign Cousins then trade the 1st overall pick for a 1st and a 2nd this year (plus another pick next year), they could conceivably have the following draft picks just this year, and that doesn't include a likely 2019 draft pick from the trade:

1st round - #4 overall
1st round - #5/6 overall (Denver/NYJ pick)
2nd round - #33 overall
2nd round - #35 overall
2nd round - #37/40 overall (Denver/NYJ pick)
2nd round - #64 overall
3rd round - #65 overall
4th round - #100ish overall (after compensatory picks)

That could be an absolutely amazing franchise-changing draft for them. Two very high draft picks and 7 picks in the first 65 players drafted.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yep.

I think it more likely that they would trade that #1 overall pick to either Denver or NYJ for a king's ransom, then draft two of Barkley/Fitzpatrick/whatever-OL-player-they-want at #4 and #5/6 (pick coming back from Denver or NYJ). They'd then have at least another solid pick from either Denver or NYJ this year (2nd rounder, I'd guess - actually, NYJ has two 2nd rounders this year) and a pick in the 2019 draft from Denver or NYJ. Then of course, Cleveland has three 2nd rounders of their own this year.

Cleveland could kill it.

Two years ago, Tennessee traded the #1 overall pick for two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd (with a couple of late picks going back). The initial 1st coming back was #15 not #5/6, so perhaps the return isn't quite this high. But it would be a 1st and a 2nd this year, plus another 1st/2nd round pick next year at least.

If they sign Cousins then trade the 1st overall pick for two 1sts and two 2nds, they could conceivably have the following draft picks just this year, and that doesn't include a likely 2019 draft pick from the trade:

1st round - #4 overall
1st round - #5/6 overall (Denver/NYJ pick)
2nd round - #33 overall
2nd round - #35 overall
2nd round - #37/40 overall (Denver/NYJ pick)
2nd round - #64 overall
3rd round - #65 overall
4th round - #100ish overall (after compensatory picks)

That could be an absolutely amazing franchise-changing draft for them. Two very high draft picks and 7 picks in the first 65 players drafted.

While we say it could be franchise changing they’d probably still Browns it up somehow ;)

Reactions: Bender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad