Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Was doing some numbers this am on spotrac

Just running scenarios on some guys -

Talib - cutting or trading Talib would save the Broncos $11M. They could cut him or trade him at any point to save the $11M

Sanders - Cutting Sanders would save the team 5.5M before 6/1, and 8.25M after 6/1

CJ - Cutting or trading CJ saves the team 4.5M and timing is irrelevant

Heurman - Cutting or trading him saves 720k, timing irrelevant

Menelik Watson - pre 6/1 release or trade saves 4.8M, post 6/1 trade/release saves 6.125M

Thomas - DT’s situation is a lot stickier than Sanders. Trading DT before 6/1 saves the team 5M. A post 6/1 trade saves 8.5M. There are no savings on releasing him until 2019.

Lynch - Lynch is also complicated. Releasing him pre 6/1 costs the team 1.8M, Post 6/1 costs 600k. Trading him after 6/1 brings 1.3M in savings.

Stewart - releasing/trading Stewart pre 6/1 saves 1.7M. Post 6/1 releasing/trading him saves 4.5M

Based on this info I expect the following -
1) CJ, Heurman and Talib will all be traded/released between season end and the draft.

2) Broncos will try hard to trade DT, as they already have been. I think their preference is to keep Sanders and get rid of DT but if they can’t pull off a trade then they will cut or trade Sanders after 6/1. DT’s contract is a tough pill to swallow and I could see the Broncos trading him for peanuts to get rid of the contract. It will probably piss off Broncos Nation but it will be because of his contract not DT’s talent.

3) They’ll be looking for a trade partner for Paxton after June. They won’t release him right after the season which will bring up questions but it’s due to his contract.

Stewart and Watson will be interesting ones. We save more money post 6/1 but I think it’s safe to say both of those guys are gone. Just an interesting question of “when”.

(Sorry to quote your entire post, Bonzai - just easier on my phone)

The Broncos should certainly look to cut some of these contracts, but the problem is really a big one that isn't going to be easily solved by cap space. That problem being that while the Broncos have a number of decent players, they have very few excellent ones, and very little quality depth.

The Broncos are quite lousy at a few positions, including the most important one (QB, OL, TE), and decidedly mediocre/average at a few others (WR, RB, ILB, DL). Yes folks, Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis are not very good.

Their only areas of real strength, are CB and OLB. Remove Talib, and that CB group goes from good to average pretty quickly. Remove Sanders and that WR group goes from average to lousy pretty quickly.

I'm not entirely sure how to rate the safety position, as I'm not a huge fan of Stewart. I think the Broncos have themselves a player in Simmons though. Maybe we rate safety position as somewhere between mediocre and good.

Bottom line, the Broncos need a big infusion of talent all over the field. This is probably due to some meh drafting, plus they won 12-13 games 4 seasons in a row, starting 5 years ago. The window is shut. They need to rebuild this thing a bit. They need more talented players immediately, and a bloody long term answer at QB. This offseason.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wouldn’t cut any of the skill position starters, with the exception of Huermann. They’ll be trying to sell a free agent qb and/or break in a new kid, you don’t want to make his situation worse by not giving him anyone to throw to or hand the ball to. You are also diverting resources injecting uncertainty into what needs to be focused on getting a QB and fixing the o line.

In particular CJ isn’t bad value at $4m and will have the motivation of a contract year.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think CJ's an easy candidate to be cut. I actually think he's overpaid at $4. Not crazy overpaid, but I think they've got to inject some young legs and speed into the backfield.

I really want to see them maybe sacrifice a bit on defense and bulk up the offensive line and address the TE position.

Fans are clamoring for a top 5 pick of a QB; that's great but you can't put him behind this offensive line as it stands right now. I also don't have faith in Elway drafting OL in the 2nd/3rd rounds. It's time to get some veteran guys who a wide eyed rookie QB can count on for security blankets.

It would be disaster to get a guy like D'Arnold or Jackson and have him running for his life every snap in year one. QBs get ruined that way. If we've got to sacrifice guys like Talib to surround a QB with the tools he needs to develop, I'm all for it.

Call me crazy but I also like the idea of bringing Eric Decker back to Denver as one of those security blankets.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
That game last last night was disgusting. Very hard to watch as a football fan. The players are pushing for social awareness and improvement yet they don’t care at all about each other’s long term well being.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I had to deal with partial paralysis in my teenage years, I've felt the same terror Shazier was obviously feeling following that injury. Watching him roll over and his legs just flopping like that brought back some terrible memories.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I watched the highlights from last night's game because I saw so many people commenting on it being really violent and morbid. Holy shit. That was awful. There were a lot of parents this morning considering never letting their kid play the sport after watching that. I've always thought the NFL was the most dangerous of the major NA sports and this was about as bad as it gets in a single game.

And on that sickening note... my fantasy team made it into the playoffs due to AJ Green having a good game.

The NFL really might be screwed long term. If it wasn't for fantasy I'd think the game might lose regional dominance faster.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Will they ever teach kids how to tackle properly? I mean seriously, it's terrible that this happened to him but for God's sake how can you launch yourself head first into someone? It just boggles my mind.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Will they ever teach kids how to tackle properly? I mean seriously, it's terrible that this happened to him but for God's sake how can you launch yourself head first into someone? It just boggles my mind.
While I think we see less poor form, dangerous tackling these days I find myself wondering about it at the coaches level. Why are they leading with the head still at all?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

The NFL will probably eventually have to make a rule requiring wrap up tackles like in Rugby and banning full on shoulder type checks.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Totally agree with you. Hope Shazier is ok but that tackle was a perfect example of how NOT to properly tackle someone. His entire torso and head were at a 90 degree angle to his body.

I think there is some validity to the claim that the more you pad up these players, the more fierce hits will be delivered. Players are stronger and faster but Shazier went into that tackle with the sense that he was invincible.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
a good qb can make WR's and TE's better

Trade 88, and 10, draft OL and WR with picks obtained

Cut or trade 21, sign quality depth for CB/S with cap relief

Use top 5 pick on BPA, NON-QB

Sign veteran QB in free agency, draft QB in rounds 2-3

Id keep CJ for one more year, run with CJ/Booker/Henderson/Draft Pick next year and see how all that goes

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My recipe would be -

Release Talib, CJ, DT and Stewart
Sign Eric Decker/Nate Solder/Justin Pugh (or Norwell)/Sproles and one of ASJ/Clay Harbor/Richard Rodgers
Re-sign Crick (UFA), Paradis (RFA), Barrett (RFA), Harris (RFA)
Trade Lynch during draft for peanuts
Sign Keenum/Bridgewater/Garappalo - whoever comes cheapest
Draft QB round 1, OT round 1 (trade 2nd + 3rd to move back into round 1), LB round 3, WR/CB round 4

Last edited:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The Mammoth have announced the date for the retirement of John Grant Jr's #24. Fittingly, it will be March 24th before the home game against the Vancouver Stealth. He joins Gary Gait, Gavin Prout, and Brian Langtry in the rafters.

Grant retired #1 all time in goals for the Mammoth, #2 in points, #2 in assists. He was also a former captain.

For his entire career he ranks #2 in NLL history in goals, #2 in points, #5 in assists. He is a two time league MVP, 1 time NLL Champion, and nine time All-Pro.

He also played for the Outlaws. For those who never saw him play, he's probably the nastiest goal scorer I have ever seen:

This is a compilation of his best goals, indoor and outdoor.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Mammoth season starts tonight!

Road game against the Vancouver Stealth tonight at 8:30.

Mammoth should have an excellent attack and they have arguably the best goalie in the NLL, but they lost two of their best defensemen to torn ACLs before training camp even started so it could be scary with a bunch of young guys out there.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Bringing the band back together

Cheaper than Lucroy, probably going to use the money for bullpen or something dumb like Hosmer

Reactions: AdamCalderHero

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Vonn is the speed queen but her body is getting thrashed from it.

Shiffrin is the best skier I've ever seen. Flat out dominant in nearly every racing discipline.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’m already pumped for the Olynpics. Especially without the Russians there.

Speed skating and the biathlon are for sure my favorites.

Last edited:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Fire Mike Malone. Pacers on a 19-0 run from the end of the fourth quarter and into OT. Nuggets 1 of their last 11 shooting.

And they left the same lineuo out there, with Will Barton running the point and two healthy point guards on the bench in Murray and Mudiay.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fire Mike Malone. Pacers on a 19-0 run from the end of the fourth quarter and into OT. Nuggets 1 of their last 11 shooting.

And they left the same lineuo out there, with Will Barton running the point and two healthy point guards on the bench in Murray and Mudiay.

I've been kinda underwhelmed with Malone myself. Again, not expecting this team to be a defensive powerhouse but a guy who squawks about it as much as he does you'd think he'd have them playing better in that area after all this time, Milsap or no Milsap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad