OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Does Linares really stand a chance against Lomachenko?

It's fight night!
Absolutely he does.

Linares is bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced.

Lomachenko is more skilled, better defensively.

Linares has to either overwhelm the smaller man or fight a perfect fight defensively.

Linares does tend to cut easily, so if Loma's odd angles can open a cut with a punch he'll be able to paw away at it the whole fight and probably win by TKO.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I hope it's a good fight. The analysts all love Lomachenko so much that it's hard to gauge if there's actual competition for him.

He didn't fire Karl at the wrong time at all.

Straight up, if he didn't fire Karl when he did this team doesn't have Jamal Murray.

That's a pretty bad argument for Karl. George was definitely the type of guy who will always pick win over rebuild, and experience over youth. He's not a very trusting coach. If the goal was to rebuild and slough off a couple of seasons to get top 10 picks in the draft, then yeah Karl is not your guy. But the barometer of a coach shouldn't be losing enough to get the 7th pick in the draft to select Jamal Murray, who could or could not have worked out. If that's the goal of the team, just hire any one of us off the street and pay us to lose games.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The problem with George Karl is he acts like his teams are in a championship window when they aren't, so young players never develop and old players are worn out halfway through the year.

The win totals may have varied year to year, but almost never did any George Karl teams actually get better year to year.

If Karl were still here, Jokic never would've seen the damn court. We'd still be watching Kosta Koufos pulling in 6 rebounds per game.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Karl was never a dude to play young guys - that’s for sure. You’ll never hear disagreement with me on that one. It was very difficult to gain his trust for minutes. That definitely was his Achilles heel.

I think a pretty good debate would be if the Nuggets realistically could have made the NBA Finals. I’m not positive they had what it took ever in Karl’s years. But then again I’m a huge naysayer of Carmelo. Sure dude was talented but the closer you get to the finals the more I feel like it’s both more of a chess match and a team game. I don’t think Carmelo has ever had the ability to succeed in an environment like that. I’ve always seen Carmelo’s career going like Adrian Dantley or Mark Aguirre’s - great scorer but going to have to be a third option if he ever got to the championship round.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Fantastic fight tonight. Lomachenko got dropped but eventually came back to get the knockout.

But he looked vulnerable tonight. If the goes up another weight class, he'll lose. And at 135 Mikey Garcia will put his lights out.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I missed the fight :( curious if all the commentators will still hold Lomachenko at the #1 boxer spot after it sounds like he got dropped back to earth.

When’s the next big fight? Isn’t Horn about to fight someone that’s going to destroy him?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Any Rapids fans? Don't know how they have been so bad this year, think they were the best team we have played in any competition this season. Had us pinned into our own end for much of the game, Metro was very fortunate to win tonight.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Boy, as much as I believe analytics has helped hockey be better, it has IMO made baseball worse. No idea what effect it'll have on the NFL, but it looks like it's having a good effect on the NBA and basketball as a whole.

How has it made it worse? I don’t watch much baseball anymore but I heard strikeouts this year are a major problem across the whole league. Sounds like it’s a HR or nothing proposition in the MLB anymore.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Any Rapids fans? Don't know how they have been so bad this year, think they were the best team we have played in any competition this season. Had us pinned into our own end for much of the game, Metro was very fortunate to win tonight.

There’s a soccer thread somewhere on the Avs forum where you’ll meet guys that are fanatical about it. They’re so fanatical they had to get their own thread.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I missed the fight :( curious if all the commentators will still hold Lomachenko at the #1 boxer spot after it sounds like he got dropped back to earth.

When’s the next big fight? Isn’t Horn about to fight someone that’s going to destroy him?

adonis stevenson (vs badou jack) and gary russell (vs joseph diaz) have matches next week.

horn is facing terence crawford on june 9th. so... yes.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011

Commentators were in the tank for Loma the whole fight. Acted like he was dominating the fight but I had Linares ahead before the KO and the judges were split. One had Linares up by a point, one had them even, one had Loma up by a point.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
How has it made it worse? I don’t watch much baseball anymore but I heard strikeouts this year are a major problem across the whole league. Sounds like it’s a HR or nothing proposition in the MLB anymore.

Yeah it’s becoming all-or-nothing these days. Pitchers with heat are being used a lot more these days and because they’re being told to pitch with velocity, they don’t make it far into games, which means more bullpen use, which means games are going longer.

Also, defensive shifts are the norm now instead of just certain players. It’s keeping hitters from really using the field (and y’know, the aforementioned pitching), so they’re being told to mash it every time they’re up. I’m pretty sure analytics eschew “small ball” as well. I’m pretty sure they hate sac bunts and stuff like that.

Games are going too long now and there's no action beyond home plate. There’s talk about lowering the mound, don’t know if that does the trick but it can’t keep going like this.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I read an article a little while back about forcing players to play infield vs shallow outfield and requiring a certain number of players to each side of the 2B bag.

Analytics are definitely going crazy in baseball.

I really miss the SB aspect of the game. Watching guys like Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman growing up really made the game fun.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Super Light/Jr Welterweight is a tough division, even with Crawford leaving. I think Linares is the best at Light, and for me Lomachenko should consider staying at this weight for at least another 2-3 fights or so to make sure he's accustomed to fighting bigger guys. Moving up again too quickly is going to put him in real danger, as there is serious competition at 140. Guys like Indongo or Mikey Garcia are going to be a really big challenge.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Super Light/Jr Welterweight is a tough division, even with Crawford leaving. I think Linares is the best at Light, and for me Lomachenko should consider staying at this weight for at least another 2-3 fights or so to make sure he's accustomed to fighting bigger guys. Moving up again too quickly is going to put him in real danger, as there is serious competition at 140. Guys like Indongo or Mikey Garcia are going to be a really big challenge.
Mikey is staying at 135.

The likely scenario is
Mikey beats Easter to unify the WBC and IBF (this fight is already scheduled)
Loma beats Beltran to unify the WBA (Super), WBO, Ring in the meantime

At which point Mikey will KO Loma to become undisputed, and at the same time claim the vacant lineal title

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I like watching Mikey fight. Granted I probably haven’t seen all the top guys fight, but Mikey Garcia just seems to be all business and dude seems like he’s tough as nails. Old school boxer. Doesn’t get cute - very fun to watch.

member 116861

He took that team as far as humanly possible. DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry are not players you build a team around.

I agree but they are MUCH more talented than getting swept by the Caves. Casey gets so much credit for turning the offense around but you shouldn't get medals for putting out fires you started. So many baffling coaching decisions in that round against the Caves.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It sounds like Ujiri was at his wit's end with Casey, it was time. I think LeBron would've had his way one way or another but there were still some horrid strategic miscues on Toronto's part.

The Raps appear to have built a really good team, but the NBA more than any other league relies on superstar power. If you don't have at least one of those, you'll never win anything.

BTW I still think that's a ridiculously bad name for a sports team. Of all the bad uniform designs and names that came out of the 90s, that one might take the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->