Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Sadly, you are probably correct. That whole Korean cheerleader thing is so creepy and bizarre, in general.
The North Koreans have been doing it forever for sporting events. In fact, they hired thousands of fake fans to cheer for the North Korean squad during the World Cup.

This is a country whose biggest export is opium. They tried to take money for importing radioactive waste from Taiwan. The US media and supposed pundits have NO idea how bizarre and dangerous this country is. Read the book 1984 by George Orwell. It's pretty much what it is.

The relationship between South Korea and North Korea is also weird. You have the South Koreans who love and want to protect their brethren from the North Korean government ... and North Koreans who have been brainwashed to hate SK and America for decades. Families have been divided since the 1950s due to the war. Their only common component is their anger toward Japan. It's a complicated relationship ... something the media does not understand.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's been a while, but a few years back I watched some smuggled documentary footage shot in North Korea to expose some stuff about life there. Long story short, essentially the cities are really weird sameness and bleakness everywhere with a paper-tin veneer of happiness plastered on where everybody is trying to out-happy other people.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's been a while, but a few years back I watched some smuggled documentary footage shot in North Korea to expose some stuff about life there. Long story short, essentially the cities are really weird sameness and bleakness everywhere with a paper-tin veneer of happiness plastered on where everybody is trying to out-happy other people.
think about this, no electric used after sunset. to save coal.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Politics at Olympics can occasionally be fun though

Take what occurred today for instance

IE002287162_PHT.jpg

IE002287160_PHT.jpg

IE002287179_PHT.jpg

a50d9a2f6d2e4cbea6238bc251203e93.jpg

And Australian Kim Jong Un impersonator trolling the creepy NK cheerleaders and then being dragged away by police
i was a the state vfw business conf in baton tudge today. someone mention that they should have had the fake kim in a lip lock with the fake trump.......

ok that was me that said that, but i thought it would be funny.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I had a friend who went to North Korea. I don't know why he did ... but he did say it was freaky. Everywhere he went, they were followed. This is even with a guide. Every night they basically partied at a particular pub in the hotel. They weren't allowed anywhere else.

Kim Il Sung, Kim Jung I'll, Kim Jung Un are thought of as gods. What they are ... are thieves, murderers, and rapists. Brown outs are normal as electricity goes in and out. There are propaganda towns where no one lives ... just outer shells of building that show prosperity. Only the best looking / most nourished / wealthy are allowed to show their face to "tourists." It's all coordinated. No feral animals exist in North Korea as the people have eaten them all due to the famine. In fact, children will eat rats. People live in constant fear. Even if you turn your back on a Kim Jung Un statue, you can be sent to the gulag. If you try to escape North Korea, your entire family is guilty of treason.

I can go on and on about that country. Their leaders import their food and alcohol from France every day ... while their people die of starvation. The South Koreans want to do anything and everything to help them ... EXCEPT the North Korean government won't let them.

I've worked in Asia when I was younger. I was fortunate enough to talk to US Ambassadors to Korea ... not the idiots CNN, FOX, or MSNBC proclaim to be Korean "experts." These ambassadors are actually incredibly knowledgeable. What people don't understand ... the #1 priority of the North Korean government and their ruler/army is survival. They saw what happened to Saddam Hussein. They don't want a war. They want to survive. However, if cornered, they will take down everyone they can. #1 and #2 on that list is the US and Japan. Like I said, their relationship with South Korea is complicated though Seoul will go down too. Playing hardball is perfectly fine ... but don't know why our government keeps playing chicken with them. There's no reason to antagonize.

BTW, that fat Kim Jung Un went to boarding school in Switzerland. He hasn't been brain washed. He knows how much his people are suffering. However, he doesn't care. He is evil. If he's anything like his father, the women surrounding him will not have easy lives.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Apparently, inside sources claim up to 3 dozen programs can be caught up in the college basketball / sneaker FBI investigation. The trials are set to begin on October 1st. It's going to be interesting which programs are involved in the scandal. The wiretaps, pleas, and subpoenas will make it impossible for the NCAA to ignore. Plenty of programs will most likely receive major sanctions. Coaches will most likely be fired.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Apparently, inside sources claim up to 3 dozen programs can be caught up in the college basketball / sneaker FBI investigation. The trials are set to begin on October 1st. It's going to be interesting which programs are involved in the scandal. The wiretaps, pleas, and subpoenas will make it impossible for the NCAA to ignore. Plenty of programs will most likely receive major sanctions. Coaches will most likely be fired.
i hope that player from cali.... ball something is part of it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
i hope that player from cali.... ball something is part of it.
Zero chance. Lavar Ball was against big sneaker companies. Lavar is delusional and annoying, but his AAU teams were clean. They didn't travel except to Las Vegas and made up of players from the neighborhood. It wasn't a traveling all star team. In fact, there was nothing fishy about Lonzo recruitment. He was UCLA from the beginning due to the location.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Zero chance. Lavar Ball was against big sneaker companies. Lavar is delusional and annoying, but his AAU teams were clean. They didn't travel except to Las Vegas and made up of players from the neighborhood. It wasn't a traveling all star team. In fact, there was nothing fishy about Lonzo recruitment. He was UCLA from the beginning due to the location.
dang, oh well one can only hope. ;)

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
anybody have any opinion on the draft eligible Ty Smith - d-man for next yr draft .....

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Hosmer is a good player but I hate that contract for a team like the Padres.

Throw in the fact that there is no chance in hell that a 33 yr old Hosmer (at the time of that potential opt-out) will not opt-out. makes that contract easily the worst. Eric Hosmer is essentially the left handed hitting version of Billy Butler.

All because AJ Preller wanted a "NAME" to sell his fan base. Good luck with that, San Diego. You're still the 5th best team in that division.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Throw in the fact that there is no chance in hell that a 33 yr old Hosmer (at the time of that potential opt-out) will not opt-out. makes that contract easily the worst. Eric Hosmer is essentially the left handed hitting version of Billy Butler.

All because AJ Preller wanted a "NAME" to sell his fan base. Good luck with that, San Diego. You're still the 5th best team in that division.
I have a place right across from PETCO. Trust me, Hosmer isn't going to sell tickets. It's the best place to watch a baseball game. Unfortunately, the Padres have to compete against the weather and the city. It's tough to beat. Winning is the only ingredient that will.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Oh please, that isn't even remotely a good comparison.

1) No cap for them to be up against
2) The Padres have very little committed the next few years
3) Hosmer is 28, he should be entering his prime years. Seabrook's is clearly behind him

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Trust me, it's a bad deal, in the same line that Brent Seabrook contract is a bad deal.
Lol no.

Hosmer had a very comparable year last year to Rizzo. Rock solid defensively, walks a ton. Thats a really good contract for his prime years.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
comparing the contract to that of Seabs is wrong and i am taking it at face value. mlb vs nhl. now it isn't really league vs league, but players of the 2 different type of sports. in the nhl, a team really can't hide a mistake b/c the #1 is nhl has a hard cap. furthermore we are looking at the d-men position. the team does not have the flexibility to hide a contract when there is 6 sometime 7 d-men playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad