Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
25 seems awfully low IMO, especially since he still managed 30 with a stint in the minors and a lengthy stretch of being as bad as humanly possible. I think he’ll be mid 30s to low 40s, unsure on BA/OBP though.

Schwarber hit 30HRs in 480 PAs ... in a terrible year. Schwarber OBP was .355 two years ago. If I'm not mistaken, Schwarber hit near .250 after he came back from the minors.

IF Schwarber gets back to hitting .250, a .360 OBP is very possible. The key question is if he can hit to the opposite field. The shift killed him last year. Rizzo had the same issue until he started hitting to the opposite field.

I'm a skeptic with him, like I said. I guess I just don't buy the "he lost weight, problem solved" narrative. I don't think his defense is going to improve much which would keep the PAs down as well.

His 2nd half when he hit .255 last year was only a .335 OBP, for whatever that's worth.

He's a really interesting case though as he clearly has a ton of power and some real talent, with not a ton of track record, so a wide range of outcomes is possible. I won't pretend to have some fancy stats to back up my opinions on him though, so I could certainly be way off. Just a hunch I have.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm a skeptic with him, like I said. I guess I just don't buy the "he lost weight, problem solved" narrative. I don't think his defense is going to improve much which would keep the PAs down as well.

His 2nd half when he hit .255 last year was only a .335 OBP, for whatever that's worth.

He's a really interesting case though as he clearly has a ton of power and some real talent, with not a ton of track record, so a wide range of outcomes is possible. I won't pretend to have some fancy stats to back up my opinions on him though, so I could certainly be way off. Just a hunch I have.
I'm just gas bagging. Like I said, I'm just guessing that he comes back strong this year. While Schwarber strikes out a lot, he does take a lot of walks. That won't change. It's really about his confidence and BA. Schwarber kept hitting the ball into the shift last year. He needs to go opposite field. If he doesn't do that, you're right ... things won't be much better. It took Rizzo 3 MLB years to figure it out. I'm hoping Schwarber does the same.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Kyle Schwarber will be fine, imo. I think this guy is driven, and with him finally acknowledging that his catching days are behind, I believe that will free him up mentally to become the best LF and hitter he can be.

Will he ever be a GG in LF? But this notion that people automatically thinks he should be a DH is funny. I think Schwarber will surprise a lot of people with his defense this year. As for offensively, it's not hard to imagine him putting up a .290/.375/.550 with 35 homeruns, etc. Last yr was his first full season in the majors (2016, he missed the whole season and 2015, he had half the season in the majors) so the bat is still developing.

Schwarber and Russell rebounds and the Cubs will show they have just as good of an offense as the Yankees and Astros.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
.290 seems like a reach for a guy who strikes out as much as scwarbs.

In fairness, with his power if he can hit .260 that would be plenty

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Olympics are something I find somewhat interesting if I happen across them, but I really can't get into them in any meaningful way.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Olympics are something I find somewhat interesting if I happen across them, but I really can't get into them in any meaningful way.
The Olympics are over. The world is so globalized, it doesn't have the same impact in the US as it did before. Furthermore, the Olympics were created to get away from politics. It was supposed to be about the joy of competition. I have no problems when sports connect with social issues. However, the Olympics is all about politics nowadays.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Shaun White laying it down

Me watching his gold medal run:

Man, that's really cool to see that all his hard work paid off and he powered through despite his age to.... to.... wait, he's only 31? I'm a year and a half older than Shaun freaking White?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The Olympics are over. The world is so globalized, it doesn't have the same impact in the US as it did before. Furthermore, the Olympics were created to get away from politics. It was supposed to be about the joy of competition. I have no problems when sports connect with social issues. However, the Olympics is all about politics nowadays.

It's hardly political just nowadays. It's often always had political undertones throughout history. Prime example being the Berlin Games in the 30's.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's hardly political just nowadays. It's often always had political undertones throughout history. Prime example being the Berlin Games in the 30's.
Of course. There was Berlin, Munich, Moscow, and Los Angeles. Politics ruined Moscow and LA. The Munich tragedy was forced upon us. It's was amazing the Olympics were even held in Berlin. Mexico City was more about social issues.

Now the media is pushing the political issue even more during the Olympics.

Reactions: Blue Liner

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I guess I really hate how the Olympics are packaged on TV. It's sports for non sports fans. What little interest I do have is about the actual sports/events not the backstories. It's always lets show a 5 minute piece about the American athlete before watching the 2 minute event. Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon, but that's how I feel.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I wish that there was a red zone for Olympics channel(s) that would skip all the human interest stuff. When it comes to commentators, I don't mind as my de facto is to just tune them out unless my ears pick up something incredibly and ridiculously stupid. Like the moron that flat out said that South Koreans look to Japan in a positive light in the same sentence that he glossed over the Japanese occupation of Korea. Yeah... no, that's literally the exact opposite of reality, dumbass. How do you screw up a fluff piece talking point?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I wish that there was a red zone for Olympics channel(s) that would skip all the human interest stuff. When it comes to commentators, I don't mind as my de facto is to just tune them out unless my ears pick up something incredibly and ridiculously stupid. Like the moron that flat out said that South Koreans look to Japan in a positive light in the same sentence that he glossed over the Japanese occupation of Korea. Yeah... no, that's literally the exact opposite of reality, dumbass. How do you screw up a fluff piece talking point?

No one gives a rip about these sports for 3 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks, they have to do the human interest stuff to get people invested in whats about to happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Did you just come up with a million dollar idea?

Reactions: RayP

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No one gives a rip about these sports for 3 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks, they have to do the human interest stuff to get people invested in whats about to happen.

Your not wrong and it's probably a good strategy ratings wise. Like I said, it's sports for non sports fans.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Politics at Olympics can occasionally be fun though

Take what occurred today for instance

IE002287162_PHT.jpg

IE002287160_PHT.jpg

IE002287179_PHT.jpg

a50d9a2f6d2e4cbea6238bc251203e93.jpg

And Australian Kim Jong Un impersonator trolling the creepy NK cheerleaders and then being dragged away by police

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

You're right that nobody cares about these sports for the majority of time, but the two weeks are what's important. People are invested in the Olympics much in the same way that people are invested in March Madness. Nobody cares about a random midmajor until they go on a Cinderella run and then everybody's rooting for them, you don't fluff pieces to drive that interest any more than you need fluff pieces during Olympic coverage.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That's not politics. That's pure comedy. Good for the impersonator.

Unfortunately, human interest stories need to be told for viewers to care. If you don't hear a sob story, you don't care. Drama sells.

It's the price we need to pay to be interested about a sport we only care about in 1/48 month cycles.

To be honest, I've tuned out the Olympics except short track skating and curling.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's not politics. That's pure comedy. Good for the impersonator.

Unfortunately, human interest stories need to be told for viewers to care. If you don't hear a sob story, you don't care. Drama sells.

It's the price we need to pay to be interested about a sport we only care about in 1/48 month cycles.

To be honest, I've tuned out the Olympics except short track skating and curling.

Except I have a feeling that he'll never be seen or heard from again... for... reasons. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nah he is doing this in SK

I do worry about a few of those girls who were smiling or laughing at that moment

NK leadership will be looking over photo's and judging them on how they acted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->