Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Pathetic tank effort they could learn a lot from the garbage franchise they lost to.
it is great for lavine to be back and all, but man he is killing the bulls with his play. he is playing too good.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
it is great for lavine to be back and all, but man he is killing the bulls with his play. he is playing too good.

It's not him, and guys like him, Markkanen, etc playing well is good for us. It's the Holidays, Lopez', etc of the world who are killing our tank.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's not him, and guys like him, Markkanen, etc playing well is good for us. It's the Holidays, Lopez', etc of the world who are killing our tank.
nah, look earlier in the season when the players were kicking it with some great play. the bulls lost. for me and this is prob on me, but a sparkplug of a offensive guard can do wonders.

but yeah, without markkanen points and play, plus the other players contributing this would have been a lost.

dang i can't wait to see the nba draft..... what will the bulls do ?? :yo::yo:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
They've lead the Bulls to a 3-20 start. They are not the reason for the Ws. Face it, Bulls tank is not strong enough. Magic have shown what a strong tank is. You won't beat that out with Gordon not playing.
LaVine wanted to Play and beat his former Team. Lauri and LaVine put up the Points against Orlando and it was LaVine who stole the ball, dunked it in and made the FTs to seal it.
It was Portis who thought hitting 3s to Keep them in was a smart idea.

Take out LaVine or Lauri and you'll see the tank back on.

Lopez and Holiday are not winning games, it's more like there are WORSE Teams than the Bulls out there. Imagine the Team not dealing with Portis/Mirotic Situation and missing time, Dunn not missing that much time and LaVine not sit out till January. They could be in the mediocre land and fight for #8 seed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dervish deal.

Full NTC for the first 4 years.

Total: $126 m
2018: $25 m
2019: $20 m
2020: $22 m
2021: $22 m
2022: $19 m
2023: $18 m

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Dervish deal.

Full NTC for the first 4 years.

Total: $126 m
2018: $25 m
2019: $20 m
2020: $22 m
2021: $22 m
2022: $19 m
2023: $18 m
I don't see Darvish opting out. No one is going to give Darvish $100mn+ at 33. The Cubs were smart. They front loaded the deal to mitigate the impact on the cap in 2022 and 2023. 2022 is when many of the younger Cubs hit free agency.

By that time, Lester will be off then books in 3 years. By the time, Darivsh gets to the last 2 years of the contract, it will be similar to John Lackey's 2 year deal. Theo is staggering the salaries to deal with the luxury tax. Because Darvish has 5-6 good to great pitches. He has a chance to age well. He just needs to stop tipping his pitches. It what killed him in the World Series. The Astros knew what was coming.

The biggest mistake is Jason Heyward. I don't know how the Cubs erase that mistake.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see Darvish opting out. No one is going to give Darvish $100mn+ at 33. The Cubs were smart. They front loaded the deal to mitigate the impact on the cap in 2022 and 2023. 2022 is when many of the younger Cubs hit free agency.

By that time, Lester will be off then books in 3 years. By the time, Darivsh gets to the last 2 years of the contract, it will be similar to John Lackey's 2 year deal. Theo is staggering the salaries to deal with the luxury tax. Because Darvish has 5-6 good to great pitches. He has a chance to age well. He just needs to stop tipping his pitches. It what killed him in the World Series. The Astros knew what was coming.

The biggest mistake is Jason Heyward. I don't know how the Cubs erase that mistake.

Has there been any talk of progress made this summer on fixing his swing?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Has there been any talk of progress made this summer on fixing his swing?
Heyward is always working. Effort / professionalism have never been an issue. It's just his loopy swing. Hopefully Chili Davis can have a positive influence.

I expect Schwarber to have a big year. Hopefully, his swing will be quicker with a stronger knee and loss of weight. He needs to catch up to the pitches higher in the zone.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Heyward is always working. Effort / professionalism have never been an issue. It's just his loopy swing. Hopefully Chili Davis can have a positive influence.

I expect Schwarber to have a big year. Hopefully, his swing will be quicker with a stronger knee and loss of weight. He needs to catch up to the pitches higher in the zone.

Yeah. I actually don't mind Heyward but I tend to over value defense and in his case leadership. If he can be a .260 hitter with 15-20 homers, it would be fine for me.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Define big year.

I'm not a Cubs fan, but put me down as a Schwarber skeptic.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Jody Davis looks like comic relief in a bad Spaghetti Western.

dLKxv0ems0sATu-bgzK4Yrv43gSmPzi8Gdihtl_N4po.png

In all seriousness, I knew a guy who played with Sammy Sosa and Juan Gonzales in the Rangers minor league system. He said Sammy was a nice kid, but a little out there. At that time, he idolized Michael Jackson. No joke.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Jody Davis looks like comic relief in a bad Spaghetti Western.

dLKxv0ems0sATu-bgzK4Yrv43gSmPzi8Gdihtl_N4po.png

In all seriousness, I knew a guy who played with Sammy Sosa and Juan Gonzales in the Rangers minor league system. He said Sammy was a nice kid, but a little out there. At that time, he idolized Michael Jackson. No joke.

Honestly, I don’t think his skin looks that bad. I think you should own who you are but he’s free to do as he wishes with his body. It is weird to see though. But yeah, looks a hell of a lot more natural than what Michael Jackson did. Sosa needs to stop now though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Define big year.

I'm not a Cubs fan, but put me down as a Schwarber skeptic.
.360 OBP and 40HRs. The 40 homers isn't far fetched. A .360 OBP would only entail a .250 BA for Schwarber. If Schwarber hits .270, you're looking at a .380+ OBP. Kyle will take his walks.

His fielding is the bigger concern.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
.360 OBP and 40HRs. The 40 homers isn't far fetched. A .360 OBP would only entail a .250 BA for Schwarber. If Schwarber hits .270, you're looking at a .380+ OBP. Kyle will take his walks.

.360 OBP is doable, I'd probably say under, but it's not a big stretch, but man 40 seems like a long shot to me. He's obviously got the power to do it, and he did hit 30 last year, but I'd go under as well.

Not that you asked, but I'd say .230/.340 with 25 HRs in 130 games and still bad defense.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Honestly, I don’t think his skin looks that bad. I think you should own who you are but he’s free to do as he wishes with his body. It is weird to see though. But yeah, looks a hell of a lot more natural than what Michael Jackson did. Sosa needs to stop now though.
Sammy's fine. It's his right to look how he wants. However, just like we make fun of George Hamilton for his perma tan ... Sammy going to get ribbed for his perma bleach.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Sammy's fine. It's his right to look how he wants. However, just like we make fun of George Hamilton for his perma tan ... Sammy going to get ribbed for his perma bleach.
perma bleach..... oh that if too funny. :biglaugh: :bow:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Maybe if the NL finally instituted the DH it wouldn't be a concern...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
.360 OBP is doable, I'd probably say under, but it's not a big stretch, but man 40 seems like a long shot to me. He's obviously got the power to do it, and he did hit 30 last year, but I'd go under as well.

Not that you asked, but I'd say .230/.340 with 25 HRs in 130 games and still bad defense.

25 seems awfully low IMO, especially since he still managed 30 with a stint in the minors and a lengthy stretch of being as bad as humanly possible. I think he’ll be mid 30s to low 40s, unsure on BA/OBP though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Schwarber hit 30HRs in 480 PAs ... in a terrible year. Schwarber OBP was .355 two years ago. If I'm not mistaken, Schwarber hit near .250 after he came back from the minors.

IF Schwarber gets back to hitting .250, a .360 OBP is very possible. The key question is if he can hit to the opposite field. The shift killed him last year. Rizzo had the same issue until he started hitting to the opposite field.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

For sure, he matches his wife now. Does Sammy have kids? I wonder how you’d handle that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad