Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nobody has cable anymore. You can type in reddit nflstreams, or cfbstreams, or nbastreams, and find exactly what you need in 1080p on youtube that you can stream to your TV. Legal as can be. Im not linking anything so I think this post is ok lol

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
A lot more people have cable than you think. Not saying it's smart to do so, but I think it's very much an age thing. I'm 36 and I think I only have one friend that's cut the cord. Everyone else has cable or satellite.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah I guess I should say its definitely an age thing. Im 21 and most of my friends are around my age. They're either in college with no cable or they're just out of college with no cable. The value just isn't there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I still enjoy cable

Just the costs are issue. I don't like streaming stuff and I also prefer owning things physically such as books and DVD's rather then digital

Maybe I am old at age 32 but many people I know still buy DVD's , Have cable and such

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watch Redzone every sunday, watch any game I want. Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, and pay zero dollars. Why wouldn't you?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am older than all of you and I do not have cable. Apps and stuff get me by. Had cable long enough to feel like they are always screwing you over that when I committed to unplugging it was a breath of fresh air.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am older than all of you and I do not have cable. Apps and stuff get me by. Had cable long enough to feel like they are always screwing you over that when I committed to unplugging it was a breath of fresh air.
lets say, i am right there with you with the age factor. i remember telling everyone in a post, i do not watch tv/cable. if i have an interest in anything, i can get it thru the internet. the same goes even today, but you know what, it is sooooo refreshing not watching a little tube.

i do not mean to be critical towards anyone, it is a personal interest in my old age.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Nobody has cable anymore. You can type in reddit nflstreams, or cfbstreams, or nbastreams, and find exactly what you need in 1080p on youtube that you can stream to your TV. Legal as can be. Im not linking anything so I think this post is ok lol
Intellectual property / licensing rights are a key component of capitalism. It is a serious problem that at some point most be dealt with.

That said, I can't blame anyone for stealing content. The system operators have held their consumers captive for years and forced a huge sum of money for their services. The people who get hurt are the artists / legit talent. Hopefully, by cutting out the middle men, more value will go to the source. It is also the reason advertisers are even more aggressive trying to track our spending / viewing habits. They need to lower their cost per thousand to survive.

If you really think about the TV business model, it's not practical. Basically, non subscription TV provides free content ... and they hope you pay for their services afterwards by buying from their sponsors / advertisers. It's like street performers.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I watch Redzone every sunday, watch any game I want. Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, and pay zero dollars. Why wouldn't you?
And this is a major issue. I can't blame people for taking free stuff. However, don't cry when the economy struggles because of it. For every action, there is a reaction.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
That was a game they should've won but the tank is just to strong, Lavine would've been useful for the closing minutes.

They looked like a team that was in the playoff hunt. If I didn't check their record, I would've guessed they had 8-12 wins on the year.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They looked like a team that was in the playoff hunt. If I didn't check their record, I would've guessed they had 8-12 wins on the year.
Once the Bulls' PG play deteriorated in the 4Q, it was over. The Bulls need to give Dunn the ball and let him create for others. He still turns the ball over too much, but hopefully he'll learn. To let Holiday, Valentine, Zipser, etc. handle the ball, is a death sentence.

Holiday and Valentine need to move without the ball for open looks and nothing more. Markannen and Lopez need to run the pick and roll with Dunn ... as well as LaVine when he comes back. Portis and Nwaba need to rebound and be energy guys. Grant can spell Dunn. That's pretty much it. If Mirotic want to play like Holiday or Valentine, then he can play. If not, he shouldn't see the floor. The Bulls don't need another black hole.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Obviously not a major enough issue that cable companies stop it
It is a major issue. Do you think the music companies didn't think mp3 files were a big deal? Intellectual property / copyrights are some of the basis for capitalism. If you know anything about policy 'net neutral', the government can do the same for certain websites. I'm curious how this all plays out.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It is a major issue. Do you think the music companies didn't think mp3 files were a big deal? Intellectual property / copyrights are some of the basis for capitalism. If you know anything about policy 'net neutral', the government can do the same for certain websites. I'm curious how this all plays out.
Yes I know all about net neutrality. Im a network engineer.

Music became a big issue because the amount of people that downloaded the music outweighed the people that actually purchased it. Even if someone streams a show, ads are still getting viewed. There is no ads in music and they aren't getting paid for those plays. It's sort of different, but still the same. Even if they took away streaming and made it illegal to consume (right now its only illegal to stream), you can still get those customized online streaming services for 20-35 dollars and have no cable boxes. No cords. I can't imagine cable growing ever again.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Cubs get Stanton and Ohtani this offseason, Harper next offseason, and then literally every player in the entire league the offseason following that.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Cubs get Stanton and Ohtani this offseason, Harper next offseason, and then literally every player in the entire league the offseason following that.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rooh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->