Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So Harold Reynolds asks Rick Hahn when Michael Kopech will reach the majors. Michael Kopech tweeted about that and thanks Harold Reynolds. Funny stuff :)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
While the Sox are rebuilding they should be talking to teams about taking bad contracts (Short term deals) off hands of those clubs for quality prospects

Sox should have been involved in Stanton talks if merely to try and act as a payroll clearer for teams trying to fit him in budget and should do same for other teams

Essentially

Team A wants player from Team B but wants to shed salary to acquire him. But team B doesn't want to take on that salary

White Sox enter picture and take that salary from Team A for quality prospect or two (Maybe get a low level prospect from team B for helping to facilitate trade)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good luck getting Reinsdorf to eat bad contracts for future guys, though. The Sox don't have a mint that can keep printing money like the Cubs; hemorrhaging money on the short term is a significant issue for them, especially with their fairly low draw at the gate.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
While the Sox are rebuilding they should be talking to teams about taking bad contracts (Short term deals) off hands of those clubs for quality prospects

Sox should have been involved in Stanton talks if merely to try and act as a payroll clearer for teams trying to fit him in budget and should do same for other teams

Essentially

Team A wants player from Team B but wants to shed salary to acquire him. But team B doesn't want to take on that salary

White Sox enter picture and take that salary from Team A for quality prospect or two (Maybe get a low level prospect from team B for helping to facilitate trade)
i agree i was reading several weeks ago, the sox were thinking of taking on 1 bad contract, to bring the sox team salary to around 90-100 mil.

so who or which team can or need to loose a bad contract, well the yanks for - Jacoby Ellsbury - cf'er. if not them then Atl who wants to get out from - Matt Kemp. it all depends on who wants to pay the price.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Good luck getting Reinsdorf to eat bad contracts for future guys, though. The Sox don't have a mint that can keep printing money like the Cubs; hemorrhaging money on the short term is a significant issue for them, especially with their fairly low draw at the gate.
Are you saying they're hemorrhaging money?

Couldn't be further from the truth. Plenty of cash available to spend if there is good reason to do it.

See: Robert

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Bulls - Hawks - Bears 6-0 since December 6th.

notbeleivable.gif

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Are you saying they're hemorrhaging money?

Couldn't be further from the truth. Plenty of cash available to spend if there is good reason to do it.

See: Robert

No, I'm saying that burning dough on bad deals probably isn't their MO even if they got good prospects in return.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Sox definitely are not hemorrhaging money, but otherwise I agree with NFS. They aren't going to eat a bad 30-40 mil deal from another team for a couple of nice prospects. Not happening.

Now if some team wants to offer a Luis Robert caliber prospect up, that might be a different story. But that's not going to happen.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying that they're in the red, I'm just saying that they're not so far into the black like some teams that you could realistically expect them to eat bad contracts.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Drew Smyly, despite his injury, is a stealth signing for 2019. Good move, Thoyer.

------------
As for Monty he wants to starts, preferable with the Cubs. His second choice would to be traded to a team that would give him that chance to start. Falling that, he would prefer to stay in the Cubs bullpen instead of being in another team's bullpen.

Between Chatwood, and perhaps either Cobb or Salazar (if the Cubs get either), there will be plenty of starts of Monty next year, given that it is a guarantee the Cubs will abuse the 10 DL like the Dodgers did in 2017.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
it appears as the deal is done in Stl - Marlins trade, the cards are sending their # 6 and 9 prospects to the marlins. whether if their is anymore, it would be release later.

MLB.com 2017 Prospect Watch

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
i know, yet no talk on the rtn players/prospects.

this is a time for the sox to still sell.

Not much left to sell and you only sell if your getting good value back

No need to move Abreu for less value then you desire at this point + The young guys still need some vet to play with + Organization holding onto best player isn't worst thing during time it will be difficult to sell tickets

I would be looking to move Garcia as I don't trust his "Breakout" and fear he will regress back to norm he has shown next year

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not much left to sell and you only sell if your getting good value back

No need to move Abreu for less value then you desire at this point + The young guys still need some vet to play with + Organization holding onto best player isn't worst thing during time it will be difficult to sell tickets

I would be looking to move Garcia as I don't trust his "Breakout" and fear he will regress back to norm he has shown next year
i am with you on the A. Garcia front, but hey this is me, i am looking at the time and window of when the so call experts think the sox will be ready to compete, so with that in mind, i would look to also move. Matt Davidson and Nick Delmonico

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Marlins may move Yelich next

25 yr old CF under team control until 2022

White Sox should look into potential cost as they have assets to make move and still go ahead with strong rebuild. Adding a young ML talent like Yelich would accelerate rebuild

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Marlins may move Yelich next

25 yr old CF under team control until 2022

White Sox should look into potential cost as they have assets to make move and still go ahead with strong rebuild. Adding a young ML talent like Yelich would accelerate rebuild
i totally agree and i wanted someone to post this idea. i think, after looking at the cards rtn i think the sox can beat that with the 2nd tier of talent in the system.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah, his article says the offer includes Kopech or Giolito, but not both. Uggh.

First of all, Kopech should be untouchable.

Second, if you are including Giolito and more, I'm not going to be thrilled. But that better come with a 72 hour negotiating window, where the trade comes with him signed longterm.

If they give up Lopez or Giolito, plus more of course, and he doesn't come signed, then I'm going to go BWC on Hahn.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, his article says the offer includes Kopech or Giolito, but not both. Uggh.

First of all, Kopech should be untouchable.

Second, if you are including Giolito and more, I'm not going to be thrilled. But that better come with a 72 hour negotiating window, where the trade comes with him signed longterm.

If they give up Lopez or Giolito, plus more of course, and he doesn't come signed, then I'm going to go BWC on Hahn.
i agree.... there should a handful of top prospects that should be hand-off in trades. i have read that Balt wants to make one more run for a playoff berth. so i see a series of active players being built with maybe a prospect of pitching. all i want in the rtn pkg is Balt cba pick in any trade. now this is still my opinion that is driven of the sox getting more picks in the top draft this yr. this is a deep draft .... again this is my take on the ability of trading cba being able to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad