Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
"Arm strength can definitely be overrated," said Rivers, "but it certainly can help. What it does is allow you sometimes to get away with being late. It allows you to think: 'Let me take another hitch because I can get it in there; I can throw the comeback late and make sure (a defender) is not sitting onit.' "

"I think arm strength certainly can help you. The more you have it can help you on certain throws and in tight windows. Ultimately, though, a lot of guys make up for it with timing -- a guy who gets the ball out of his hand quickly or who knows where to go with the football. A lot of times anticipation can make up for a guy who can throw it 80 yards.

"I've always said there's something about beingable to put 'zip' on the ball -- a guy who can gun it in a window. That's certainly an asset that some have more than others. But the guy who can throw it 85 yards? I've never seen anyone get an opportunity to throw it that far. Most 'go' routes are caught between 44- and 47 yards; you're not throwing it 65 or 70 yards............

----

"Arm strength," said an NFC head coach, "is tied into the intelligence of the quarterback. If he is smart, understands defenses and anticipates his throws well -- like a Chad Pennington -- arm strength is not a big factor.

"But if he is young or not the brightest guy then arm strength is more important because he will be late on some throws and need a stronger arm to get the ball in a tighter window."......

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You are just wrong. You really think when scouts are talking about a big arm they are talking about how many 50 yard passes the guy is going to throw :laugh:. Yes guys that throw hard can also throw far, but that isn't what scouts are talking about when discussing arm strength. They aren't talking strictly about throwing super deep passes.
Obviously. However, but look what your said. You said arm strength is about throwing from one hash to another ... on a line. That's exactly right. And QBs who can throw a 15 yard out on a rope can throw the long ball. It goes hand in hand. That's why they make QBs throw the 9 route in the combine. If it didn't matter, no one would say a thing.

Furthermore, do you know the concept of stretching the field? Why do teams pick receivers who can run 4.3s? Is it because they are only used for deep balls? No ... it's the threat of going deep. It keeps a defense honest. If a QB can't throw deep, it compresses the field and gives less space. It's what Chad Pennington and Peyton Manning faced late in their career.

It's not about throwing 50 yard passes. It about having the ability to throw 50 yard passes that keeps a defense honest. It's like having a point on the power play who can shoot on net with accuracy and speed. The threat forces the defense to get out to the point.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Obviously. However, but look what your said. You said arm strength is about throwing from one hash to another ... on a line. That's exactly right. And QBs who can throw a 15 yard out on a rope can throw the long ball. It goes hand in hand. That's why they make QBs throw the 9 route in the combine. If it didn't matter, no one would say a thing.

Furthermore, do you know the concept of stretching the field? Why do teams pick receivers who can run 4.3s? Is it because they are only used for deep balls? No ... it's the threat of going deep. It keeps a defense honest. If a QB can't throw deep, it compresses the field and gives less space. It's what Chad Pennington and Peyton Manning faced late in their career.

It's not about throwing 50 yard passes. It about having the ability to throw 50 yard passes that keeps a defense honest. It's like having a point on the power play who can shoot on net with accuracy and speed. The threat forces the defense to get out to the point.

Every QB in the league can throw a 50 yard pass. Here is Drew Brees who is known for having a pop gun arm throwing the ball 50 yards to Ted Ginn

This one almost travels 60 in the air

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Every QB in the league can throw a 50 yard pass. Here is Drew Brees who is known for having a pop gun arm throwing the ball 50 yards to Ted Ginn

This one almost travels 60 in the air

Drew Brees has never had a "bad" arm until age and injuries started creeping in.
Drew Brees' arm stronger than you think

That said, he threw a ball 60 yards in the air in an indoor stadium. Probably 95% of the NFL QBS can make that throw if they have their legs. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't understand the basis of YOUR argument. You said a QB can throw far without a strong arm. If you throw soft (exit velocity), you can't throw far. It's simple physics. Speed is a MAJOR component of distance. Hence, if you can throw a hard 15 yard out, you can throw it far with an adjustment in mechanics.

For exmaple: IF you can throw hard at a short distance (for example a pitcher), you'll have the ability to throw it deep as long as you can change the launch angle with passable mechanics (unless there is more gravity or friction). It's just how our biomechanics works. Now if you have bad mechanics, it's a different story and not an issue of arm strength.

If I'm not mistaken, football / baseball arm strength = arm speed + grip strength + arm length (as long as form is constant).

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Drew Brees has never had a "bad" arm until age and injuries started creeping in.
Drew Brees' arm stronger than you think

That said, he threw a ball 60 yards in the air in an indoor stadium. Probably 95% of the NFL QBS can make that throw if they have their legs. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't understand the basis of YOUR argument. You said a QB can throw far without a strong arm. If you throw soft (exit velocity), you can't throw far. It's simple physics. Speed is a MAJOR component of distance. Hence, if you can throw a hard 15 yard out, you can throw it far with an adjustment in mechanics.

For exmaple: IF you can throw hard at a short distance (for example a pitcher), you'll have the ability to throw it deep as long as you can change the launch angle with passable mechanics (unless there is more gravity or friction). It's just how our biomechanics works. Now if you have bad mechanics, it's a different story and not an issue of arm strength.

If I'm not mistaken, football / baseball arm strength = arm speed + grip strength + arm length (as long as form is constant).

That’s not what I said. All I said was when people talk about arm strength, they aren’t referring to how far they can throw it. When people say josh Allen has a big arm they aren’t doing so because they believe he’ll be throwing 70 yard passes.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So Chatwood became the first Cubs starting pitcher to reach the 7th inning this season. He only faced one batter, gave up a hit, and then got pulled. Which means no Cubs starting pitcher has recorded an out in the 7th inning this season. Two things from that:

• Lol at Chatwood being the first one to do it.
  • When it's put that way, it definitely makes the Cubs 10-9 record seem a little more impressive. Given this and Rizzo's poor year so far, being able to stay above .500 is kind of impressive.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Moncada is going to be good. The same goes for the player formerly known as Chubby. Schwarber might be an All Star this year. When he keeps hitting to the opposite field, he can start pulling the ball for doubles and homers again.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Moncada is going to be good. The same goes for the player formerly known as Chubby. Schwarber might be an All Star this year. When he keeps hitting to the opposite field, he can start pulling the ball for doubles and homers again.

Schwarber was more soft than Chubby. If you want to see Chubby, see former Cub prospect Dan Vogelbach.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Who should I see for "bloated"?
We're just being polite. Relative to professional athletes, Schwarber was fat last year. He was a couple of hamburgers away from playing center on the Bears.

That said, good for him for losing all that weight. The new Schwarber looks good. He's a hard worker. He ''gets" it. I still believe Schwarber hits 40HRs+ and gets on base .370

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Over 30+ years ago, the Cubs had a CF lead off and 2B bat second. They were nicknamed the Daily Double by Harry.

Bobby Denier + Ryne Sandberg = Albert Almora + Javy Baez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->