Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
This isn't what I was talking about... missing time for that is a different story.

I'm talking about, for example, a first baseman who has a bruise on his thigh because the guy running down to first base kneed him in the thigh on accident, and he sits out a game because of it.
Not a guy who takes a 100+ mph hit ball off his body...

Jesus... people are just a touch sensitive...

Baseball players play a non-contact sport, and spend a lot of their time standing/sitting around. They're not comparable to other professional sports that are 110% physically more demanding. Not sure what you're trying to argue here. Honestly. Sorry if I offended you over the fact that I think baseball players can be a bunch of sissies. Pretty sure we're all entitled to our opinion on the matter.

Marion Hossa took games off for being old. Kane missed a game because he was too hung over. Crawford missed like 3 weeks because he twisted his ankle.

Reactions: TorMenT

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A baseball season is also a 162 game grind. Guys take off for things more minor because they can afford to with so many games and it doesn't make any sense to "tough it out" when it's such a long season with so many games. The game as a whole and the athleticism required to play today's game is being undersold a bit here, too.

Unless you're a pitcher. :)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Marion Hossa took games off for being old. Kane missed a game because he was too hung over. Crawford missed like 3 weeks because he twisted his ankle.

:laugh:

Why are you so offended by this Illini?

Don't remember Hossa taking "games off for being old." Kane... when did he miss a game because he was hung over? News to me. Crawford... sprained an ankle, a painful injury that takes time to heal. NFL players miss entire seasons with high ankle sprains...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Someone just having counterpoints to a debate does not make them offended or sensitive.

Hockey players and basketball player complain when they play on back to back nights. Baseball players sometimes go 3 weeks without a day off. Give me a break with this please like my sport tough guy non-sense.

That seems to me like someone is offended/being overly sensitive about it. :dunno:

All of this because I said they're sissies for so many postponed games this year, and not playing today because it's 40 and windy. I mean, the initial post was mostly me goofing around about it and how they postponed the Cubs game again today. Didn't think it would develop into an argument. Oh well.

Might as well drop it. Illini won't change my opinion on them, and I won't change his.

Agree to disagree kinda thing.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Ha anyone considered the games are postponed for the owners and the fans? Why’s it gotta be the “wimpy players”?
There's a financial aspect to the postponement. Owners want more people at the game for concessions, parking, peripheral revenue, etc. Playing on a nice summer day is better than playing in frigid April weather.

A postponement of a game is made by the home team and their management. MLB consults but usually do not have the final say.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
There's a financial aspect to the postponement. Owners want more people at the game for concessions, parking, peripheral revenue, etc. Playing on a nice summer day is better than playing in frigid April weather.

A postponement of a game is made by the home team and their management. MLB consults but usually do not have the final say.

Exactly my point. Not sure why it’s being insinuated that the players are saying “I’m too chilly”, when really it’s the owners saying nobody will be here, because the fans are like I’m not sitting outside in this shit.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Exactly my point. Not sure why it’s being insinuated that the players are saying “I’m too chilly”, when really it’s the owners saying nobody will be here, because the fans are like I’m not sitting outside in this ****.

It's whatever. Just what I think. At least in comparison to football and hockey. Prolly a dumb opinion but oh well.

I'm aware that the owners and organization are what determine if a game is postponed or not, and a lot has to do with money. Postponing at Wrigley for cold and wind just makes no sense to me as that stadium is basically always full anyways. And part of my responses are likely in annoyance to my fantasy bb squad losing so many games to postponements and weather this early in the season. Just think it's worse than most other years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's whatever. Just what I think. At least in comparison to football and hockey. Prolly a dumb opinion but oh well.

I'm aware that the owners and organization are what determine if a game is postponed or not, and a lot has to do with money. Postponing at Wrigley for cold and wind just makes no sense to me as that stadium is basically always full anyways. And part of my responses are likely in annoyance to my fantasy bb squad losing so many games to postponements and weather this early in the season. Just think it's worse than most other years.

I don't think there's any question it has been.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm good with this, even knowing Trayce seems to be leaning towards not being a MLB quality player. The Sox just don't need Saladino at this point. He is redundant. I wish him well in Milwaukee.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm good with this, even knowing Trayce seems to be leaning towards not being a MLB quality player. The Sox just don't need Saladino at this point. He is redundant. I wish him well in Milwaukee.
Trayce had a pretty good set up in SF ... living with his brother for free.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wasn't watching but Sox reliver Danny Farquhar collapsed in the Sox dugout and was taken to the hospital. Scary stuff, hope he's ok.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
White Sox are trainwreck

Yeah...I don't think we expected a playoff contender. But some of the things they did well last year like fundamentals....they're gone this year.

It's early, so I don't want to panic. But if they go and lose 105 games this year, good luck getting any free agent to come here next winter (barring a big overpay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad