Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVI: Bulls Draft Lottery Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Mirotic isn't coming back
I hope not. The fact that the Bulls players are empathetic towards Portis says a lot. Allegedly, he doesn't have any friends on the team. He'll only hamper the development of Markkanen by chucking up 3s to inflate his counting stats.

While I wasn't a big fan of DWade last year, when he criticized the younger players' "lack of effort," many said that it was directed at Mirotic. Mirotic needs to be traded. Perhaps Philly will accept a trade for Okafor... another malcontent.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Here's two nicknames I heard around town for Markkanen:

* Lauri Bird
* The Finnisher

I'm surprised Teemu Selanne didn't get that name ... The Finnisher.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So umm, I know it's early in the rebuild. But should the Sox consider signing Jake Arrieta?

I think it sounds silly at first, but it could make sense.

1) At this point, the Sox payroll is pegged to be extremely low in 2018. Decent chance it could be the lowest payroll in baseball. So even if they give him a nice contract, they will still have one of the lower payrolls in baseball.

2) It brings some legitimacy to the rotation. And it also brings a potential mentor for guys like Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Hansen, etc. I think it's dangerous to not have a proven SP for these young guys to interact with, learn from, etc.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You can get a mentor for a lot cheaper than the $100MM+ he's going to get. I'd rather they stay the course and sign a couple of flip candidates. No need to spend money just to spend it. Save it for Machado.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So umm, I know it's early in the rebuild. But should the Sox consider signing Jake Arrieta?

1) At this point, the Sox payroll is pegged to be extremely low in 2018. Decent chance it could be the lowest payroll in baseball. So even if they give him a nice contract, they will still have one of the lower payrolls in baseball.

2) It brings some legitimacy to the rotation. And it also brings a potential mentor for guys like Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Hansen, etc. I think it's dangerous to not have a proven SP for these young guys to interact with, learn from, etc.
Nah ... I'd wait for another year before signing a big FA pitcher. Plus, you have James Shields to teach the kids to be a professional pitcher. There was a time he was an ACE ... a really good starter. I'd sign a good veteran catcher though. They are important when it comes to a young staff.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Caveat emptor.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Alright, Ohio State and Penn State both lost. That essentially kills their chances of making the championship playoffs, so very good news.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dream scenario for me is Miami beats ND and knocks them out of a playoff spot, and Wisconsin loses in B10 title game and gets knocked out of a playoff spot.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Alright, Ohio State and Penn State both lost. That essentially kills their chances of making the championship playoffs, so very good news.

Not only that, but it also makes the last few weeks before the big 10 championship very interesting. The big 10 east is wide open

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Any chance the Bulls sign DeMarcus Cousins as a UFA in the off season? He's moody, but often misunderstood. He wants to win.

If you pair Lauri Bird with DeMarcus Cousins, that's a deadly combination. DeMarcus is a great passer from the post and Lauri would give him the space he needs. Get lucky and draft Michael Porter at the 3, and that's an incredibly long and athletic front court. Exactly, what the new NBA is headed towards. Interchangeable positionless basketball. You need to be able to defend the pick and roll in today's NBA.

With LaVine starting in the backcourt, you can afford a luxury like Dunn who's a great defender, decent distributor, and good penetrator ... with a suspect shot.

That would be a quick rebuild. That said, it sounds like the Wizards are interested in trading for Boogie.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I think the Cubs should keep Arrieta. Or is there anyone as good as him available on the FA market? Because I don't think there is any way Schwarber returns anyone better than a 4/5 starter in a trade. If we want a better pitcher, Russell/Baez would have to be dealt. Do we have the depth to trade either of these guys in exchange for pitching, without creating a new hole?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Any chance the Bulls sign DeMarcus Cousins as a UFA in the off season? He's moody, but often misunderstood. He wants to win.

If you pair Lauri Bird with DeMarcus Cousins, that's a deadly combination. DeMarcus is a great passer from the post and Lauri would give him the space he needs. Get lucky and draft Michael Porter at the 3, and that's an incredibly long and athletic front court. Exactly, what the new NBA is headed towards. Interchangeable positionless basketball. You need to be able to defend the pick and roll in today's NBA.

With LaVine starting in the backcourt, you can afford a luxury like Dunn who's a great defender, decent distributor, and good penetrator ... with a suspect shot.

That would be a quick rebuild. That said, it sounds like the Wizards are interested in trading for Boogie.

I wouldn't be against it, but if your Cousins and have never been on a good team, why would you pick the Bulls? I would imagine there will be better situations available to him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I understand what your getting at, but I wouldn't. I don't think he's going to age all that well and more importantly the Sox are still going to have payroll limitations. That can't afford to have an awful contract on the books for years, which his could easily become in a year or two. The time will come to spend on a big FA, but I don't think it's now and I don't think Arrieta is the guy to do it on.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I wish Jake nothing but the best of luck, but he's going to be looking for likely a 5+ year, $100ish million deal (if not more). I mean, that type of deal might make sense for a team that's in win-now mode and thinks he has another couple of years of quality starting potential, but for a team like the Sox? I like the direction that they're going, but they're not going to be in win-now mode for probably another 2-3 years, so that's a potential massive sunk cost that you're not sure what you'll be getting out of him when you are ready to be competitive.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I wouldn't be against it, but if your Cousins and have never been on a good team, why would you pick the Bulls? I would imagine there will be better situations available to him.
I never said it wasn't fantasy. :)

Most people think the Pelicans will deal Boogie to the Wizards for Porter and a first rounder or two (depending if Boogie signs an extension and the Pelicans struggle this year).

The Wizards with Beal, Wall, Cousins, and Oubre would be tough.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Well now that the baseball season is over the illusion of this off-season is now underway, the time for clubs to sign fa's to improve is upon all the teams. The idea of what will the sox do in the continuing the rebuild of our team ?? the team is still in need to continuing to rebuild and how to maxime the situation the sox are in.

the main idea is two fold, the team payroll is the going strength of the team at this time. There are teams that still in need to getting rid of some of their burdensome contracts and of course lower their over-all salary cap situation. NY yanks, Miami Marlins and Atl braves comes to mind. So what will they those team do to do it ?? how much will they offer teams like chi to adsorb and take on those contracts. ?? I think they may offer a nice little pkg of prospects to do it...... so here is the #1 thing to do, trade for 2 or those contracts.

Yanks needs to trade Jacoby Ellsbury – cf and contract thru 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

Marlins – Dee Gordon – 2nd base and contract thru 2020 and Prado - IF and contract thru 2019 (nah) .... play DG at 3rd until the one of our 3rd basemen is ready or see how he does in the OF.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2017.shtml

Braves – Matt Kemp – LF and contract thru 2019 (interesting) and Nick Markakis – RF and contract thru 2018 (nah/maybe).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2017.shtml

now I believe that the sox needs to dive into the FA market with investing in 2 players.

1. JD Martinez just turned 30 yr and I think a contract thru his age of 35 yr he is a powerful bat with a really good hit-K factor and for the most part a very good OPS.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martijd02.shtml

2. Michael Pineda who is 29 and with the same contract length of 34 or 35. he will be a solid #4, weak #3 type of a SP on an average team and can help the staff battery of SP's.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pinedmi01.shtml

These 2 players are player sox could sign without sacrificing a draft pick.

My next post, later would be my fanciful trade ideas with possible fa signings.

edit..... screw the spell ck, i should have done a better job.

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I wish Jake nothing but the best of luck, but he's going to be looking for likely a 5+ year, $100ish million deal (if not more). I mean, that type of deal might make sense for a team that's in win-now mode and thinks he has another couple of years of quality starting potential, but for a team like the Sox? I like the direction that they're going, but they're not going to be in win-now mode for probably another 2-3 years, so that's a potential massive sunk cost that you're not sure what you'll be getting out of him when you are ready to be competitive.

I kind of figured nobody else would like this idea. And I'm not even sure I do. If the Sox do become competitive a bit earlier than expected, as full rebuild teams like the Cubs, Yankees and Astros have also done - it would end up a blessing having signed Jake in that case.

But yeah, the Sox are practically screaming that all they plan on doing this winter is rebuild the bullpen and maybe a minor player here or there beyond that. I see that it isn't happening.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I kind of figured nobody else would like this idea. And I'm not even sure I do. If the Sox do become competitive a bit earlier than expected, as full rebuild teams like the Cubs, Yankees and Astros have also done - it would end up a blessing having signed Jake in that case.

But yeah, the Sox are practically screaming that all they plan on doing this winter is rebuild the bullpen and maybe a minor player here or there beyond that. I see that it isn't happening.
i org did not read your post but now i did. the main problem with your idea is this, the sox would loose a draft pick. while the sox is really nicely set up with prospects, i would really hate to loose a draft pick now. esp of a pitcher like Jake. i have never been highly sold on him.

but i still like picking up pieces to put together for when the sox are ready, they will have a solid team.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The draft compensation for signing free agents has been lowered starting this year. It wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd round pick. I don't recall exactly what the new rules are offhand though.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The draft compensation for signing free agents has been lowered starting this year. It wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd round pick. I don't recall exactly what the new rules are offhand though.
either way, while i do agree with you on the new cba ruling, the team would still loose a pick. i just do not think Jake is worth the lost of a draft pick, esp now.

either way, it is still another way to think about how to fix this team, it is a worthy thought.

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think a lot of Sox fans are hoping for Manny Machado next year. That could get interesting. If they have close to zero future obligations at that point, it probably makes it easier for the Sox to give him a 250 mil deal than even some of the traditional big spending teams.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think a lot of Sox fans are hoping for Manny Machado next year. That could get interesting. If they have close to zero future obligations at that point, it probably makes it easier for the Sox to give him a 250 mil deal than even some of the traditional big spending teams.
man, that is next yr. who knows what is going to happen to me then. :eek:

i barely have it together for this off-season. . :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->