OT: Other Buffalo Sports (Bandits, Beauts, Bisons, NCAA Basketball and Football)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This is so sick. The writing is in Blue Cheese, of course...

(If this needs to be moved feel free but why NOT a Bisons thread?)

cut.jpg

Bisons to become the 'Buffalo Wings' for showdown vs. Rochester Plates -June 14-17

Bisons to become the 'Buffalo Wings' for showdown vs. Rochester Plates -June 14-17

Bisons to be named after legendary meal born in Buffalo, NY

Get your wet naps ready, Buffalo, NY…'Buffalo Wings' Baseball is going to be served up at Coca-Cola Field this season.
The Bisons announced today that they will change their team name and identity to the 'Buffalo Wings' for a four-game showdown with the Rochester Plates (Red Wings), Thursday, June 14-Sunday, June 17.
The team has also introduced a new 'Buffalo Wings' team logo, jersey design and red & orange color scheme to honor the legendary meal that was born right here in Buffalo and is synonymous with enjoying great sports moments with family and friends.
The Buffalo Wings and Plates will also take their debate to the diamond in Rochester for a three-game series at Frontier Field, August 28-30.
"While chicken wings are enjoyed throughout the world, if you really want to get a true order or wings, you have to do it in Western New York. So it's only fitting that Buffalo's hometown team adopt the moniker of its most famous food item," said Mike Buczkowski, VP/General Manager of the Buffalo Bisons. "Wings were born in Buffalo, and since then the debate over what's the best meal to enjoy while watching a great game at the ballpark or anywhere officially ended."
Along with introducing the 'Buffalo Wings' new look, the team has put on-field and flex-fit caps, t-shirts and replica jerseys on sale at the Bisons.com Online Shop. Tickets and Family 4-Packs for all four games of 'Buffalo Wings vs. Plates' at Coca-Cola Field can be purchased at Bisons.com.

cut.jpg

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
We all know it’s the Garbage Plates. The Rochester Plates is a bit of a cop out. But, what does a garbage “Rochester” plate logo look like?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Will be weird shouting "Lets Go Wings" when the team that they are playing actual nickname has the Wings in it.

I don't think a Bisons only thread would work but if you made it a "716 Sports Thread" and include posts about the Buffalo/Rochester sports teams (Pro/College/High School) other than the Sabres, Amerks, Beauts and Bills - then it would should work out.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Will be weird shouting "Lets Go Wings" when the team that they are playing actual nickname has the Wings in it.

I don't think a Bisons only thread would work but if you made it a "716 Sports Thread" and include posts about the Buffalo/Rochester sports teams (Pro/College/High School) other than the Sabres, Amerks, Beauts and Bills - then it would should work out.

After I got out my magnifying glass, I thought what you suggested was a good idea and changed the thread title. :D

And I definitely see the point of one team renaming themselves "Wings" and playing a team who's name already contains "Wings". Just adds to the intrigue?

Reactions: LaxSabre

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Amy Moritz @amymoritz -
The friendly rivalry between Rochester and Buffalo takes on a new twist this week when the "Plates" meet the "Wings" at Coca-Cola Field. Here's a behind-the-scenes look at how the @BuffaloBisons developed their Buffalo Wings logo.

Michele Lange has a foot in two worlds of the regional food battle. A native of Irondequoit, she has consumed her fair share of that Rochester specialty, the garbage plate. But since moving to Buffalo 12 years ago for college at SUNY Buffalo State and Villa Maria College then to continue her career as a graphic designer, she has plenty of experience with the classic tastes of the chicken wing. That background gave Lange a unique perspective for her latest creative challenge – helping to design the jersey for the Buffalo Wings when they host the Rochester Plates.

"I'm in a really interesting place," Lange said. "I definitely consider myself a Buffalonian but I lived in Rochester for 17 years. From where I'm sitting, it's kind of cool to see my two hometowns going head to head for this. I'm just in a position where I’m really having fun with this."

For the four-game series beginning Thursday at Coca-Cola Field, the Buffalo Bisons will be known as the "Buffalo Wings" and the Rochester Red Wings will be known as the "Rochester Plates" keeping in line with a trend in minor league baseball to play with regional food items for specialty jerseys and promotional nights.

Rest Of The Article - Inside the Bisons: How The 'Buffalo Wings' Logo Was Born

Reactions: Dingo44

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I haven't been to a Bison's game in like 5 or 6 years and now I've been to 2 in 3 weeks. They raised the ticket prices quite a bit though. 2 tickets on the 1st base side cost me 32 bucks. I remember the last time I went 2 tickets were like 20. For how seldom I go I guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NPSL Soccer - FC Buffalo vs Greater Binghamton FC Thunder - Robert Rich Sr. All High Stadium, Buffalo, NY.

FC Buffalo @FCBuffalo -

GOOOOOAL!!!! @McFayden23 buries a cross from a marauding @Charlie_L03 . FCB 1-0, 5’
@FCBuffalo 1 @BinghamtonFC 0 at the half.

GOOOOAL!!!! @euanb97 cleans up a mess near the goal line off a corner kick and it’s 2-0 FCB, 48’
Binghamton gets on the board against the run of play and FCB has a game on its hands. 2-1, 78’

FT: FCB is wasteful but wins 2-1 on a night they earned more than 20 corner kicks. Next up: Sunday in Cleveland.

RECAP - Despite more than 20 shots and 20 corners, FCB finds just two goals as unbeaten run reaches five.
http://www.fcbuffalo.org/fcb-picks-up-2-1-win-over-gbfc/

Call it a wasteful win. Despite more than 20 shot attempts and an even 20 corner kicks, FC Buffalo could only muster early goals in each half to beat visiting Greater Binghamton FC Thunder 2-1 at Robert Rich Sr. All-High Stadium on Friday.

Kendell McFayden scored his 15th career FC Buffalo goals just five minutes into the match, finishing off a cross from Charlie Livesey, who was making his first FCB start at left back. Binghamton held the score line at 0-1 until a few minutes after halftime, when Euan Bauld cleaned up a mess off a corner kick for his first FCB goal.

The win moves FC Buffalo into second place in the division. They are six points behind first-place Erie. Next match - Away - vs AFC Cleveland - Sunday afternoon - Fathers Day - 2:00 pm ET. The two sides drew 0-0 in Buffalo on June 1. Next match - Home - vs Rochester Lancers - Friday, June 22 - 7:00 pm ET. FC Buffalo defeated Rochester 4-2 in Rochester on June 3. Admission for the home match is $8 at the door, $7 presale.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Last chance for #BuffaloWingsBaseball. 3 outs away from the kitchen closing and we need a rally. 2 - 0 Plates.
GET ROWDY,
#BuffaloWings fans!! Rowdy Tellez CRUSHES an 0-1 fastball into the Bully Hill Party Deck for a 2-run shot.
WE ARE TIED! BONUS
#BuffaloWingsBaseball tonight! #WingsvPlates is all tied up at 2, so we go to the 10th.
The Plates took this one, but we'll be back tomorrow to even the score!

Df2sqfoWsAAIkxJ.jpg:small

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
TOWERING home run by @ajalford - waaaay up on the protective netting in left field. #BuffaloWingsBaseball on the board in the 2nd! 1-1.
Who says catchers don't have wheels!?!?
@Reese_McGuire21 walks and then scores all the way from first on a Plates' throwing error on the infield. #BuffaloWingsBaseball take the 2-1 lead!
️Thanks to Anthony Alford's first career
@TripleABaseball home run, #BuffaloWings and Plates are tied at 2 through five innings.
#BuffaloWings take the lead! Rowdy Tellez doubles off the wall in left and scores two batters later on Reese McGuire's sac fly. 3-2 bot 6.
BUFFALO WINGS WIN!!! BALLGAME!!! FOOD SERIES TIED 2-2!
#BuffaloWingsBaseball 3-2 victory over the Plates in front of an awesome Father's Day crowd of 11,358!
Df6uuj6X0AEh32H.jpg:small

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
A wild Father’s Day match-up in Ohio saw FC Buffalo run its unbeaten streak to six matches with a 3-3 draw with Cleveland SC on a 95-degree day at Don Shula Stadium on Sunday. FCB led 2-0 and 3-2 in the match, but couldn’t get the win over the line in drawing CSC for the second time this season. Kendell McFayden, Euan Bauld, and Akean Shackleford scored for the Blitzers, with Sammy Wasson, Austin Stout, and Chris Berardi recording assists. Jeremy Figler made a number of saves in the draw.

FCB opened the scoring with McFayden’s fourth of the season, the veteran striker on the doorstep to poke home a rebound when Stout’s shot dropped to him. The Blitzers doubled their leader before halftime when Wasson swept a left-footed cross to the back post and Bauld nodded inside the near post for his second goal in as many games.

Cleveland made it 2-1 after halftime, a 55th minute marker from Vinny Bell’s redirection of a teammate’s shot. FCB looked to have restored its lead when Akean Shackleford spied Cleveland goalkeeper Mikal Outcalt losing sight of a ball and out leapt him to head home, but the referee saw a foul. The hosts fought hard to level the score, and earned their equalizer in controversial fashion when Bell dribbled into Bauld inside the box and hit the deck. The PK was converted to make it 2-2 in the 87th.

The referee called for five minutes of stoppage time, and FCB was fortunate to score seven minutes after the clock first read 90. Keane McIvor and Stout combined to set-up Berardi, and the Clarence product’s shot was saved onto the path of Shackleford. But the Jamaican’s team-leading fifth goal of the season was not enough, as Figler’s outstanding 99th minute save was pushed onto the path of Cleveland’s Declan McGivern for the equalizer.

http://www.fcbuffalo.org/unbeaten-run-hits-six-in-wild-scorching-draw/

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
BIG weekend across 2 states begins TONIGHT at HOME!!
FC Buffalo vs Rochester Lancers - Robert Rich Sr. All-High Stadium - 7:00 pm ET. SUNDAY!! AWAY!! FC Buffalo at Fort Pitt Regiment - 2:00 ET.

FC Buffalo home matches are streamed via WNYMedia.Net - heres the link to tonights match - https://wnymedia.net/2018/06/live-alert-fc-buffalo-vs-rochester-lancers/
Join Steve Bermel and Jeff Boyd on the call starting a few minutes before 7:00 pm ET.

DgTZsNKX0AA-m6G.jpg:small

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
If you not watching the draft either on TV or at the Sabres draft party or if you are not attending the FC Buffalo match - why not give some love for former UB football stars - Drew Willy and Ernest Jackson. Willy will be quarterbacking the Montreal Alouettes in their home opener against one of his former CFL teams - the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Game time is 7:00 pm ET and you can watch it here LIVE in the United States on ESPN2 or online via ESPN +. (Canada - its on TSN/RDS - TSNGO.) Hopefully its a better result than last weeks opener which saw British Columbia erase a after three quarter lead by Montreal to win 22-10. Go Als!

"That’s the thing about the CFL, it’s a small league.
A lot of people know each other so it’s all about how you execute the game plan." -
QB Drew Willy knows that execution is the to victory on Friday night.

g7v9stebwBTzIeeG.jpg:small

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NPSL Soccer - FC Buffalo vs Rochester Lancers - Robert E. Rich All-High Stadium, Buffalo, New York.

FC Buffalo@FCBuffalo & Buffalo News Soccer@BN_Soccer -

GOAL! McIvor plays Brady on goal, and Brady dances around the goalkeeper to slide it home in his first game as a Blitzer. Well done, GI. FCB 1-0 - 45'.
45': Brilliant from Troy Brady, who receives a well-weighted through ball from McIvor, dances past LePetit and tucks home from a bad angle. 1-0,
@FCBuffalo just before stroke of halftime. Brady started the play, too, with a run into space on opposite side of the field.

GOAL!! Terrific dribble by McIvor to Brady, who lays off for @Coach_GB to blast home. FCB 2-0, 75’.
73':
@FCBuffalo gets its second! After a fine dribbling display by McIvor, a block found Brady, who laid off to Gary Boughton on his right. Boughton's driven shot hit the left post and caromed in. 2-0, FCB.

GOAL!!! @AShackleford2 sends a delightful cross back post and Pedezert cuts its back for McIvor’s third of the season! 3-0, 87’.
87': Goal,
@FCBuffalo! Wolves pouring it on now, as Shackleford's cross finds Pedezert at the back post. The Niagara talisman sees McIvor's close run, and the latter's shot has too much pace for LePetit to deal with. Best match of the year for FCB, bar none.

FT: FCB 3-0 @RLancers. Off to Pittsburgh for a big Sunday tilt, then home again Friday against Erie.
Final: 3-0
@FCBuffalo with a comprehensive win over @RLancers, pushing them six points ahead of tonight's foe. Wolves need to finish in top 2 out of Erie, Cleveland and Fort Pitt, with Sunday's road clash with the Regiment a big one.

Victor Fernandes @ETNfernandes -
@Erie_Commodores fall from the ranks of the unbeatens, fall 3-2 to @SoccerCLE.
Lead in division now only 1 point over CLE, 2 over
@FCBuffalo & 4 over @FtPittRegiment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad