Other Arizona Sports Thread 5: Cardinals, Dbacks, Suns, Sun Devils, Wildcats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rumor has it asu is going for herm edwards.

Rumor has it I won't pay attention to the FB team anymore if true. Like Herm as a TV personality but he hasn't coached in college since the 80s. The game has changed.

I don't get Ray Anderson's obsession with NFL ties. Plenty of coaches are great at the college level but are bad NFL coaches.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Firing Todd Graham seemed like an odd decision. I don't think he was amazing, but he was a solid recruiter and had moderate success. If the goal really is the have more than moderate success cool, but if that's the goal I'm not sure it's realistic. Either way I'm interested to see who asu can score. There's some decent names out there.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Firing Todd Graham was a step backwards. Hiring Herm is leaps and bounds backwards. We need to make a solid choice here and not pull a CFB Gretzky.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
IDGAF about NCAA football but someone explain the Herm Edwards thing :laugh:

Ray Anderson used to be an agent in the NFL that represented coaches, including Edwards. So he's pulling a reverse Barnett here. Most prime hires would want the ability to fire assistants but Anderson wants to keep them on, so it's basically an "anybody want this job with my conditions?" type thing.

Edwards has never had to recruit. He wasn't a super successful coach. I don't get this.

Reactions: doaner

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You're a junior stud football QB in high school in greater Phoenix. You've been a lifelong Sun Devil fan; you're being recruited by Herm Edwards and Chip Kelly; which do you choose?

(could be worse, you could be Tennessee)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You're a junior stud football QB in high school in greater Phoenix. You've been a lifelong Sun Devil fan; you're being recruited by Herm Edwards and Chip Kelly; which do you choose?

They're about equal in appeal to most recruits outside of the team itself. It would come down to playing time, coordinators, and personnel.

The only upside of the Edwards hiring is that he has coached the HS Under Armor All Star games for the past 9 years, so he probably has some good connections. He is certainly an impressive speaker and leader of men, and I imagine parents will take very kindly to him.

My preferences were:
1. Les Miles
2. Bring back Norvell
3. Sumlin if he promises to keep a clean program
4. Any up and coming coordinator that's a stronger recruiter ala Norvell
5. Edwards

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

Be nice! The Vols are my team!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Edwards is an odd choice. I get firing Graham if you've got someone like Sumlin lined up, but if not..... Bleh.

Tennessee needs to get someone good out of all this, or they'll look terrible. It's weird that Fischer is potentially leaving FSU for Texas A and M.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
We were at the UT-UF game last year wher we finally won for the first time in 15 years. It was awesome!

You see the end of this years game? http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/59bdb31e9803c51d008b6b78-800/2017-09-1618-24-09.jpg :)

Okay, I'll stop, before someone like gra yells at me for being OT non-Arizona related...

But not before I segue back to Arizona my own way, by thanking former ASU hoops player Egor Koulechov for transferring first to Rice, and then as a grad transfer to UF, adding size and shooting ability.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems like Anderson plans to leave and did his buddy a solid on the way out. How Crow fell for this I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->