OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Officials Blandino and Pereira, literally the best and most respected in the business, have agreed the correct call was made. Strange rule... but that’s how it is. Dumb. So yeah, I’m not the only one who got ridiculously fired up at the Juju and Jesse catches. But alas, all for not.

Gronk was otherworldly. Our otherworldly guy was injured. We’d need him back if we get a rematch.

Coach Patricia and Bill made the correct adjustments and YET AGAIN outcoached Tomlin and co. Excellent defense in the 4th quarter. Patrick Chung, Lawrence Guy, Duron Harmon, Trey Flowers. So much talent on that D. You all don’t even know. Patricia in particular is an unreal coordinator that no one acknowledges. Steelers shut out in Q4, when it mattered.

It’s not a total knock on all our guys and staff. Heck, they’ve lucked out most of the year. But this was New England. Simply, a different animal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So I read it was coaches that wanted him to throw it and Ben wanted to spike it for the FG.

The hits keep on coming.

So fine...they had a play called in the end zone with one receiver running it and no one else. Ben had at least three seconds to see that Rogers was blanketed in the end zone and he should have thrown the ball away. This was not a quick throw play. Even if the coaches wanted to call the play, it's up to Ben to see it's covered

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
They should of had one last clean shot at the end-zone (not the cluster f*** that was the fake spike) and then the field goal if needed to go to OT. They shouldn't have lost the game on that drive but the standard is the standard.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Also, Dave of Steelers Depot agrees with the call. So just let it go.

Take care of business, stay healthy, hopefully get another shot at them with Haden/AB back.

Reactions: DrJustice

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Even though I think that was a touchdown not to mention the non pass interference call on Rogers, the previous 2 possessions is what cost the Steelers the game. When Tomlin learns that his rag tag defense won’t win him games, especially against the Patriots, he might be a good coach.
Hell, when Romo is questioning your play calling, you know it’s not going to end well.
I’m tired of Tomlin and OC boy. They need to go.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
Even though I think that was a touchdown not to mention the non pass interference call on Rogers, the previous 2 possessions is what cost the Steelers the game. When Tomlin learns that his rag tag defense won’t win him games, especially against the Patriots, he might be a good coach.
Hell, when Romo is questioning your play calling, you know it’s not going to end well.
Ben, Bell, and most likely Brown will be gone/past their prime before Tomlin or Haley are shown the door.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Heartbreaking loss.

It's very frustrating when one team has your number like this. I guess it's the closest thing Pittsburgh fans experience to what the Caps go through against our Pens.

I thought the Steelers put up a hell of a fight. They weren't out classed like they were in the AFC Championship game last year. Although that title game was on the road, this was at home and now a rematch with New England (if it happens) will likely be on the road.

The loss especially sucks considering we could have taken it relatively easy the next two games. A win against Houston or Cleveland would have clinched the #1 seed. Now we'll have to keep playing and hope New England drops a game for us to get the #1 seed. Not to mention Jacksonville is also alive for a top 2 seed and a bye since they beat us head to head.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Yeah I'm fed up with this coaching staff. That cost us something crazy. In that situation it's best to stay safe. OT it's anyone's chance. We got screwed for sure though.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
( a ) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
( b ) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
( c ) maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).
Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession

Boy did the NFL completely screw the Steelers. Went through the replay 10+ times and I can say absolute a good catch and explanation is completely wrong.

First things first, going frame by frame, Jesse completed catch then knee hits completing both rules A &B he then lunges forward, football move and breaks the plain. Touchdown. The ref did not understand their own rules.

Lastly and most importantly, even if we ignore the fact that he completed the catch with his knee being down, looking at each replay, Jesse's right hand is always under the ball. There isn't one piece of video evidence that shows otherwise.

So the corrupt ref missed on the rule and then doubled down overturning the TD based on what he "thinks" might have happened, none of it supported by video.

And guess what will happen.... nothing.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Pause it at 43 second mark, there is your catch per rules listed above, he then lunges as a runner and breaks the plain.

Then go to 1:00 minute mark, his right hand is under the ball as it rotates. The ref was wrong TWICE to overturn the call for the Patriots.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You're right,t he left hand slides up to his face and on top of the ball and maybe that makes it bumble the way it did, but the right hand just slides under it as he pins it to the back of that left hand and his mask. That's not losing control, that's maintaining it.

It's a wrong call, f*** the refs, f*** the refs and the people that keep justifying it as being the right call.

It wasn't the right call. The refs allowed someone to bully them into thinking it was and then decided the game.

The right reaction now is to be pissed, be ready, and just destroy the Patriots in a "You think you won that game? Nah son, we've just destroyed you when it matters most."

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017

Lol, people still questioning his coaching ability.

11-3 record, lost the Pats due to a stupid ass rule, but he's not a good coach. Idiot.

He's been the 2nd best coach in the NFL this season. I'd love to hear who you would replace him with.

fastb

Mar 26, 2006
San Mateo, CA
Pretty sure that's the end of the season. We are so the Capitals to their Penguins; good luck keeping it to a 3 score margin in Foxboro, I guess.

The things that make me the most mad are plays from earlier in the 4th quarter: (1) going to Fitz Touissant (?!) on 2nd-and-long, and (2) calling a 3 yard pass on 3rd-and-4 when you can close out the game with a couple of first downs. Just chickenshit play-calling all around. The game should never have come down to Juju's heroics and the James TD screwjob.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Jesus Christ, they didnt lose thi game because of coaching, they lost it because Sean Davis dropped a gimmie interception and Jesse James dropped a gimmie touchdown and then Ben forced a ball into coverage.

Its that simple.

Neither coach was perfect,as in every game. But our put us in a position to win and the players on the field botched it multiple times.

Reactions: Captain Hook

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I'm more mad that on a goal line play with had ONE guy run a route into 5 or 6 DBs. Ben should have just threw it away but why was the play ever designed in the first place? If you're going to run a fake spike like that, do like they did against the Cowboys. Throw a 1 on 1 fade to the back of the endzone.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You're right,t he left hand slides up to his face and on top of the ball and maybe that makes it bumble the way it did, but the right hand just slides under it as he pins it to the back of that left hand and his mask. That's not losing control, that's maintaining it.

It's a wrong call, **** the refs, **** the refs and the people that keep justifying it as being the right call.

It wasn't the right call. The refs allowed someone to bully them into thinking it was and then decided the game.

The right reaction now is to be pissed, be ready, and just destroy the Patriots in a "You think you won that game? Nah son, we've just destroyed you when it matters most."

The refs were bullied by “someone” into overturning the call...at a Steelers home game? It’s a dumb ass rule (almost as bad as the one that cost the Raiders the game later in the evening), but it was called correctly.

I’m a Patriots fan, so understandably biased, but if the Steelers face them again (in Foxboro), what makes you think the Steelers are going to “destroy” the Pats?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm more mad that on a goal line play with had ONE guy run a route into 5 or 6 DBs. Ben should have just threw it away but why was the play ever designed in the first place? If you're going to run a fake spike like that, do like they did against the Cowboys. Throw a 1 on 1 fade to the back of the endzone.

As long as I live, I will never understand people with your mindset. You're mad about the next play? LOL

Your team was cheated out of a win and you're more mad at an INT where the receiver was held. OK

Your logic is if I come over for dinner, use your bathroom and then smack you over the head with a baseball bat on my way out the door, you would be mad at me for not flushing the toilet.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
As long as I live, I will never understand people with your mindset. You're mad about the next play? LOL

Your team was cheated out of a win and you're more mad at an INT where the receiver was held. OK

Your logic is if I come over for dinner, use your bathroom and then smack you over the head with a baseball bat on my way out the door, you would be mad at me for not flushing the toilet.
They called it how the rule is written and how it's been called in the past. It's a dumb rule and should be changed but it wasn't surprising. After I saw the first replay I knew it was going to be overturned. I'd say the only thing that could be iffy with it is that it was called a TD on the field and that it looked like he may have had is hand under it. I personally don't think they should have overturned it and the whole "need conclusive evidence to overturned" is pretty much gone.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pissed of what followed. I'm mad that they clearly didn't have a play already called had they got tackled in bounds. I'm mad that instead of just spiking it and taking it to OT Ben does a blatantly obvious fake spike and threw into about 5 Patriots. The game shouldn't have been lost on that drive, they should have had OT at worst after the Juju catch.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They called it how the rule is written and how it's been called in the past. It's a dumb rule and should be changed but it wasn't surprising. After I saw the first replay I knew it was going to be overturned. I'd say the only thing that could be iffy with it is that it was called a TD on the field and that it looked like he may have had is hand under it. I personally don't think they should have overturned it and the whole "need conclusive evidence to overturned" is pretty much gone.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pissed of what followed. I'm mad that they clearly didn't have a play already called had they got tackled in bounds. I'm mad that instead of just spiking it and taking it to OT Ben does a blatantly obvious fake spike and threw into about 5 Patriots. The game shouldn't have been lost on that drive, they should have had OT at worst after the Juju catch.

I will ask this one last time... SHOW ME video evidence of the ball moving on the ground without Jesse's right hand underneath the ball.

IT does not EXIST.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I will ask this one last time... SHOW ME video evidence of the ball moving on the ground without Jesse's right hand underneath the ball.

IT does not EXIST.
It doesn't which is why the needing of conclusive evidence is overturn a play is gone. They go into the booth looking to overturn plays like that now, which is dumb. Which is why that is the only thing to be argued. More blame needs to be on the coaching staff/Ben for the debacle that followed. And why AGAIN a crucial second half timeout was wasted on something stupid. If they had that third timeout, the fake spike nonsense doesn't happen.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Why did they change it? Why wasn't "football move" sufficient to be called a catch? Too much gray area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->