OT: Pfft Do You Even Healthy Body Transformation? (General Lounge Style Discussion)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If I was going to faceplant it would have happened here:

2isce34.jpg

That's impressive as hell. :clap:

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This might sound weird, but has anyone had experience making progress by working out less? Due to a new job/travel/other factors, I've only been able to hit the gym once, maybe twice a week for about the past 2 months. Some weeks I haven't gone at all. But somehow I've noticed that I've been able to lift more. My arms got bigger too. Am I crazy for thinking I should have regressed?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How often were you going before that? Like 5 times a week? Maybe you just weren't giving your body time to rest between workouts, stopping you from really going full out the next time. I really have no idea though.

As for me, I am moving up the ladder at work, but that means going from a job where I am on my feet 3/4 of the day to a full on desk job. I don't start the new job for 2-3 weeks, but this morning I got up half an hour early and went for a 2km walk around my neighborhood. I'm hoping I can make this a daily habit to make up for the lost steps/movement that the new job will result in. We'll see how long it lasts, but I am impressed I was able to drag my ass out of bad at 6:30am, I am not really a morning person, I get every last minute of sleep I can before I have to get up in the morning for work.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
This might sound weird, but has anyone had experience making progress by working out less? Due to a new job/travel/other factors, I've only been able to hit the gym once, maybe twice a week for about the past 2 months. Some weeks I haven't gone at all. But somehow I've noticed that I've been able to lift more. My arms got bigger too. Am I crazy for thinking I should have regressed?

It's certainly possible that you were overtraining before and your body is responding better to the increased rest. People don't need to do 4 different bench press exercises, 5 different bicep curl exercises and to lift 6 days/week. There isn't much opportunity for the body to rebuild/repair in that scenario.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I always do some variation of core/shoulders/pec/tri work on these but ive been battling a nasty shoulder injury that basically shrugged off hundreds of pounds off my bench, im staying away from any works thats too streneous.. i even stopped my handstand work.

I feel you. I can't stop f***ing up my wrists. I'm not sure how I've done it. But in the last year, I hurt my right wrist last April, and in January I did it to my left one. I have no idea how I do/did it either. Just the next day I wake up and my wrist is throbbing and I am unable to supinate it. I can't even do a regular bicep curl when it happens. The pain takes almost 2 months to fully go away too. I'm just now to a point where I can do a regular bicep curl without it throbbing, but I'm now hesitant to do anything heavy because of it.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How often were you going before that? Like 5 times a week? Maybe you just weren't giving your body time to rest between workouts, stopping you from really going full out the next time. I really have no idea though.

As for me, I am moving up the ladder at work, but that means going from a job where I am on my feet 3/4 of the day to a full on desk job. I don't start the new job for 2-3 weeks, but this morning I got up half an hour early and went for a 2km walk around my neighborhood. I'm hoping I can make this a daily habit to make up for the lost steps/movement that the new job will result in. We'll see how long it lasts, but I am impressed I was able to drag my ass out of bad at 6:30am, I am not really a morning person, I get every last minute of sleep I can before I have to get up in the morning for work.
About 3-4 times per week, although I wouldn't usually work out the same muscles more than once a week. I feel you on the not being a morning person thing though. But if you start waking up regularly at 6:30, it'll just be routine and eventually it'll become easy for you. Starting the process is the hardest part though.
It's certainly possible that you were overtraining before and your body is responding better to the increased rest. People don't need to do 4 different bench press exercises, 5 different bicep curl exercises and to lift 6 days/week. There isn't much opportunity for the body to rebuild/repair in that scenario.
That's probably it. Even though my max was 4 days a week, the increased rest is probably still beneficial.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Anyone have any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced pre-workout supplement? Looking for something to give an energy boost to get through a tough workout and make the best of my time in the gym, don't care much about the "pump" that many of them seem to focus on.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Anyone have any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced pre-workout supplement? Looking for something to give an energy boost to get through a tough workout and make the best of my time in the gym, don't care much about the "pump" that many of them seem to focus on.
Allmax aminocuts. Cheap, tastes good, effective.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Ever tried a large cup of black coffee?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Along with some inconsistency due to exams, my cut has already made me lose so much more strength than last year. Kind of demoralizing and a blow to the ego.

At this point I’m considering just doing a little above maintenance until after the winter (so 11 months?) or just keep cutting for now and doing lower weight and more reps per workout. I dunno.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Weighed in at 209 this morning, trying to get back to 175. Little background, I’ve been having issues with lifting and stuff lately, went to the doctor, my testosterone dropped to 223 (I’m 37). So I was put on TRT, my last visit was 507 (1cc a week). So now I am moved up to 1.5cc a week and starting to tell the difference in how I feel, and how I am sleeping.

I did drop weight when I was doing Keto for a couple of months (long story about my wife’s health and stuff knocked me off my training and eating). So I am going to hit back with Ketosis and light gym work and try to rebuild my strength.

Reactions: Danko

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Weighed in at 209 this morning, trying to get back to 175. Little background, I’ve been having issues with lifting and stuff lately, went to the doctor, my testosterone dropped to 223 (I’m 37). So I was put on TRT, my last visit was 507 (1cc a week). So now I am moved up to 1.5cc a week and starting to tell the difference in how I feel, and how I am sleeping.

I did drop weight when I was doing Keto for a couple of months (long story about my wife’s health and stuff knocked me off my training and eating). So I am going to hit back with Ketosis and light gym work and try to rebuild my strength.
Do you like Keto diets? If not, then don't bother. Its all calories in vs calories out. Of course you don't want to eat all carbs either. Typically people eat 40% Carbs 40 protein and 20% fat... depending on preference and physical activity.

I've never been a fan of low/no carb diets. Not very sustainable long term especially if not strong willed.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Do you like Keto diets? If not, then don't bother. Its all calories in vs calories out. Of course you don't want to eat all carbs either. Typically people eat 40% Carbs 40 protein and 20% fat... depending on preference and physical activity.

I've never been a fan of low/no carb diets. Not very sustainable long term especially if not strong willed.

I’m doing intermittent fasting, and it’s working along with my work outs. Keto is hard to do when I am the only one in the family doing it. So I’ve been doing the research on intermittent fasting, and can tell a difference. Down to 204 now.

I’m only eating in a 6 hour time period and drinking only water outside of that, but keeping my caloric intake the same.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I would disagree with this in general, for myself at least. I did low carb for about a year, with rigorous tracking. Now I an simply living my life and it comes natural to focus on high protein, moderate fats and low carbs. Not saying I never each bread or pasta, but it has become pretty easy to not cook high carb foods like bread, pasta, rice, ect... at home and minimize them within reason while out, and avoiding highly processed and high sugar foods.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I've been doing Keto diet for the last week and i've lost 5 pounds. Im not having any issues with cravings at the moment...except for beer. Even that you can make it fit in your macros if you don't over do it...but alcohol can stall your weight loss which sucks.

Im doing 20g of carbs max aiming for 5% carbs, 80% fat and 15% protein. 1500 cals is my goal for the day.

I may switch to doing IF 16/8 since i have no problem skipping breakfast but by lunch i will be hungry again.

Im trying to lose another 45 pounds in 5 months, hope i can stick with it. Can't really work out at the moment as im 6 weeks post ACL/MCL/Meniscus surgery...doing PT 3 times a week but nothing really intensive.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I've been doing Keto diet for the last week and i've lost 5 pounds. Im not having any issues with cravings at the moment...except for beer. Even that you can make it fit in your macros if you don't over do it...but alcohol can stall your weight loss which sucks.

Im doing 20g of carbs max aiming for 5% carbs, 80% fat and 15% protein. 1500 cals is my goal for the day.

I may switch to doing IF 16/8 since i have no problem skipping breakfast but by lunch i will be hungry again.

Im trying to lose another 45 pounds in 5 months, hope i can stick with it. Can't really work out at the moment as im 6 weeks post ACL/MCL/Meniscus surgery...doing PT 3 times a week but nothing really intensive.

keto drops quick to start, but will slow, but just keep to it and it works to drop weight. There are other benefits to fasting along with it.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I’m doing intermittent fasting, and it’s working along with my work outs. Keto is hard to do when I am the only one in the family doing it. So I’ve been doing the research on intermittent fasting, and can tell a difference. Down to 204 now.

I’m only eating in a 6 hour time period and drinking only water outside of that, but keeping my caloric intake the same.
I.E. is good. Again, if you can resist the urge to eat. I myself don't eat anything big until about noon. I don't follow the 16/8 windows, but I do like the idea of saving calories for later in the day.

I strongly tell people that they need to find what works best for them, but ultimately it comes down to calories in calories out as the foundation. Its crucial. to lose weight, be in deficit and to gain weight you need to be in surplus.

I love fitness/nutrition and did not know this sub forum existed -_-

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I would disagree with this in general, for myself at least. I did low carb for about a year, with rigorous tracking. Now I an simply living my life and it comes natural to focus on high protein, moderate fats and low carbs. Not saying I never each bread or pasta, but it has become pretty easy to not cook high carb foods like bread, pasta, rice, ect... at home and minimize them within reason while out, and avoiding highly processed and high sugar foods.
People like you are not found very often. In general, people have a hard time being consistent with dieting, let alone changing their lifestyle. Especially with a spouse, kids etc.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

That is great progress. Good job. And you can certainly reach your goal. Stay consistent.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I.E. is good. Again, if you can resist the urge to eat. I myself don't eat anything big until about noon. I don't follow the 16/8 windows, but I do like the idea of saving calories for later in the day.

I strongly tell people that they need to find what works best for them, but ultimately it comes down to calories in calories out as the foundation. Its crucial. to lose weight, be in deficit and to gain weight you need to be in surplus.

I love fitness/nutrition and did not know this sub forum existed -_-

I could almost go OMAD (one meal a day)

From what I’ve been reading / watching, with IF, doing workouts fasted increase the production of HGH by 2000% and increase fat burning by 3x.

I’m just looking to cut down 4”, my weight is not what I am concerned about. I did find about my hormonal imbalance due to my T production stopping, but with that fixed, I’ve noticed my muscles are toning up and I am recovering from workouts.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I could almost go OMAD (one meal a day)

From what I’ve been reading / watching, with IF, doing workouts fasted increase the production of HGH by 2000% and increase fat burning by 3x.

I’m just looking to cut down 4”, my weight is not what I am concerned about. I did find about my hormonal imbalance due to my T production stopping, but with that fixed, I’ve noticed my muscles are toning up and I am recovering from workouts.
Such imbalance being fixed I'm sure makes a massive difference.

I work out fasted on the weekends and love it. Hit the gym at about 10am. (wake up 8-9am). Weights about 1 hour and cardio 35 mins (incline walk 13% @ 3.3mph)

I hate running unless its for a sport, so I burn about 400-500 calories doing the above.

The only down side to working out fasted is the hunger that comes after the gym. For me, I tend to get hungry 30-1hr afterwards. if your window is 12pm-8pm then it would work out. (pretty much my window on weekends)

My schedule however makes me eat my last meal at about 9-10pm after my workout at 8pm. (during week)

For anyone that wants some basic information on Nutrition and how simple it is to manipulate calories to lose weight.... youtube "Matt Ogus Nutrition 101". He is one of many now fitness youtubers that explain the simplicity of macro nutrients.

i can't stress enough how simple it is on paper to lose weight. The hardest part is sticking to certain macro/calorie targets for X amount of time until goal is reached.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Started another bulk after mine was cut short in January with a stomach virus. Was gonna cut through summer but then the firefighting recruitment came up for the city and thought f*** it, let’s get this strength back and do it.

Eating over 3000 cals a day for about a month now, went from 163 to 168-170 lbs now, goal is high 170s by mid-August before I do a 3 month cut, and then bulk lightly for another 3-6 months after while the physicals happen.

Strength came back tho and my lifts and workouts are better than they’ve been since the fall.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Been feeling really good about myself and the work I've put into living a healthier lifestyle. As evidenced by the fact that this might be my first post here (if it's not, I've posted less than 5 times on this sub), I'll provide a rundown:

-Late July 2017, my 9 year relationship ended. The last time I touched a scale I came in at 338 lbs, though I have no doubt (as you'll see in the pictures below) that I weighed more than that. I'd be surprised if I didn't come in at a little over 350 lbs at various times.

-From then until January 3rd 2018, I lost 31 lbs just by some light diet changes. I made a hard switch from regular soda to diet soda, I cut out *some* of the junk food I'd eaten regularly, but I still hadn't made a hard commitment to working out and getting truly healthy.

-January 4th 2018, 4 days after moving in with my best friend and his girlfriend, I joined my local YMCA (as my employer gets a pretty sweet discounted rate)...which was one of the conditions of me moving in with them.

-From July 2017 through TODAY, June 11th 2018, I've lost a grand total of 139 lbs. That's right, this morning after my workout I stepped on the scale to see how my week had started off, and for the first time in who knows how long, I weighed in under 200 lbs, coming in at 199.6; now obviously I know that wasn't going to last long today because I gotta eat and drink, but damn it felt good.

So many people have asked me how I've done it, and well the answer isn't one they particularly like to hear (from a "I'm going to do that too!" standpoint): From January 4th until about mid-May, I'd taken 6 total rest days. I worked out daily on the elliptical machine (which through trial and error I found to be the exercise machine that worked best for me), and I made a harder change to improve my eating habits. I quit eating at fast food places, save for the very occasional order from Subway (to which I still am not a fan of doing, but sometimes I'm too lazy to cook), I cut out all soda (diet or regular) from my diet and drink mainly water with the occasional Xyience Fruit Punch energy drink (if I want something carbonated), I'm more mindful of my sodium and caloric intake, and I do my best to not eat dinner past 7:30 PM.

Now, that's all stuff that worked for me, I know it's not close to guaranteed to work for anyone else, but my results have me proud of myself. I've gone from 338 lbs to my lowest of 199.6, and I'm ever-so-close to my final goal of 195 (though my "happy weight" is probably somewhere between 200-210). I've gone from 4XL shirts (which I was starting to creep in to) & size 52 pants down to L shirts and size 36 pants (mother flippin' SLIM fit in both categories even). 11 months of hard work has me on the precipice of realizing something that for so long I never thought was possible. It's surreal...

4ZRLYiTG.jpg:large

5iny8931.jpg:large

Reactions: Sigh and Danko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad